#41 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,861 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 17, 2012 - 09:40 PM

I'm not much of a tech guy at all, usually just buy stuff that gets the job done at an affordable price. The only reason I even bought a PS3 about a year back was due to a Black Friday sale. Otherwise, I might have just waited a few more months for it to become more affordable. Hell, I used an old school heavy TV like this until it just wouldn't turn on anymore:

Posted Image

Watching Lakers games in HD? Yeah, I got the best picture on this with a simple antenna. It would only get fuzzy if I moved it like one cm to the left. :laughing:

I don't really care much about new technology to be honest. It's just not a necessity for me to have the latest whatever. I mean, as long as I can get onto the internet, play some video games, and watch my basketball, I'm good.

#42 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,831 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 10:50 PM

Supply and demand is what they look at first not the other way around. If the market shows that it is a surplus and that has a good profitability then they enter it and make a game. They dont make a game and then say hey we need to sell each of these for 60 bucks to make good money.

you dont think successful companies set price selling points for items before they actually sell them?

how did sony come to the conclusion to price the ps3 for $599 at launch? was it based soley on supply and demand?

if it was, they would have sold the ps3 for around the same price as the 360, but that was not the case

they needed to sell it at a higher value because the unit cost more to produce than the 360

if they sold it for any less, they would have lost alot of money, and when that happens, was is the point of even staying in business?

Edited by pkflyers, September 17, 2012 - 10:55 PM.

13z8pc6.jpg

#43 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 4,027 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted September 18, 2012 - 06:10 AM

you dont think successful companies set price selling points for items before they actually sell them?

how did sony come to the conclusion to price the ps3 for $599 at launch? was it based soley on supply and demand?

if it was, they would have sold the ps3 for around the same price as the 360, but that was not the case

they needed to sell it at a higher value because the unit cost more to produce than the 360

if they sold it for any less, they would have lost alot of money, and when that happens, was is the point of even staying in business?

I know they set a price, but like Im saying before anything you have to look at supply and demand and see if at the price it is going to take to sell your product and make the profit you want, the market has to be willing to accept that price. The only time that a product is produced and just given a price out of how much the company wants to make is when its the first ever of its kind and the company is the first ever of its kind. A company setting price solely on the amount of profit they wish to make a unit it just doesnt work like that.

Game companies have made millions of millions of dollars. The reason companies are in that business because games are going for 60 bucks, not just for fun. The business is a good business because games are selling so high thats why I am saying the reason games are 60 bucks mostly because of the market not because they have to cover cost.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#44 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,831 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 10:14 AM

I know they set a price, but like Im saying before anything you have to look at supply and demand and see if at the price it is going to take to sell your product and make the profit you want, the market has to be willing to accept that price. The only time that a product is produced and just given a price out of how much the company wants to make is when its the first ever of its kind and the company is the first ever of its kind. A company setting price solely on the amount of profit they wish to make a unit it just doesnt work like that.

Game companies have made millions of millions of dollars. The reason companies are in that business because games are going for 60 bucks, not just for fun. The business is a good business because games are selling so high thats why I am saying the reason games are 60 bucks mostly because of the market not because they have to cover cost.

i never said the bolded part, you are making assumptions based on what im saying, but you still didnt answer my question RE the price of the ps3

the ps3 sold horribly its first few years because the price was so high..why was the price so high? have u ever asked yourself this?

its pretty well documented ehy they price was $600 a untit, and it wasnt priced that high because thats what the market value of consoles was

look, i know about supply and demand, but you are making it seem thats the only reason companies price things the way they do, that is simply not the case, there are other factors involved too

that is why i said earlier in this thread that new generation systems probably wont sell for 700/800 dollars, because people wont buy it (looks at the ps3)

high production cost forced SONY to remove features from the unit on order to bring the production cost down, so they could be able to charge the customer less for each unit without losing money <-- that right there is an example of supply and demand

^ again, this is pretty well documented, im not making this up, just google it

Edited by pkflyers, September 18, 2012 - 10:23 AM.

13z8pc6.jpg

#45 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 4,027 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted September 18, 2012 - 11:02 AM

i never said the bolded part, you are making assumptions based on what im saying, but you still didnt answer my question RE the price of the ps3

the ps3 sold horribly its first few years because the price was so high..why was the price so high? have u ever asked yourself this?

its pretty well documented ehy they price was $600 a untit, and it wasnt priced that high because thats what the market value of consoles was

look, i know about supply and demand, but you are making it seem thats the only reason companies price things the way they do, that is simply not the case, there are other factors involved too

that is why i said earlier in this thread that new generation systems probably wont sell for 700/800 dollars, because people wont buy it (looks at the ps3)

high production cost forced SONY to remove features from the unit on order to bring the production cost down, so they could be able to charge the customer less for each unit without losing money <-- that right there is an example of supply and demand

^ again, this is pretty well documented, im not making this up, just google it

When the ps3 came out did it not sell out? Like I said when products come out early they have higher prices because they know they have a loyal fan base that will buy the product. Sony messed up due to their business plan, their problem was the xbox 360 came out first and was cheaper so in comparison the reason they didnt end up selling as much was because the market showed what they were gonna pay for a console. At the core of their products the ps3 and 360 are gaming systems. The market saw this and said why should I pay this much for this console when this other one plays the same game basically just as good for hundreds of bucks less?

Now if the ps3 came out a year before the 360 I could bet that when the ps3 dropped price wouldnt of been as big as a deal, because well it was the first product like it. And I dont know what your saying that the ps3 didnt sell good, it sold very well for a console that came out a year later and there was another competitor that already had a year on it in terms of market hold. On top of this the wii dropped around the same time and out sold all consoles due to its cheap price. The ps3 sale problems a lot more had to do with timing rather than straight up price.

At the time it came out the markert was paying 400 bucks for a top of the line console, and then ps3 introduces a console that does basically the same thing for more money? It doesnt take a genius to know that it wasnt gonna sell nearly as well as it could of. Now Im not saying that development doesnt go into how much something cost, Im saying that to think that production cost are so high that even at 60 dollars the companys arent making more than enough profit is crazy. I am talking about video games now not the hard ware. To think that production cost is what truly determines the price of something goes against anything that has ever been taught about economics. A company knows how much cost will be the big variable is well how much will it sell for? They know that the devolpment is worth it because they know the price justifys making it, not that production is what makes them set their price. Its what the market takes. Yes production cost does matter, but no company would be in any sector if the production cost wasnt being paid for above and beyond for the market price of their product.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#46 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,831 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 02:20 PM

the ps3 sold well? thats news to me

maybe the first 3 months it sold well, but after that it was largely considered a failure by almost everyone

but at this point, im going to stop replying because you are simply not understanding what im saying

nowhere did i say production cost is the ONLY factor in determining the price of a product

where did i ever say that?

all im saying is, you cant produce a product at $20, and then sell that product for $10, it doesnt work that way because you will lose money

^ basically sony was running at a loss almost every time they sold a console because it cost them almost the same price to produce a ps3 as what they were selling them for

thats one of the main reasons why the ps3 cost so much, because they had to cover the price it cost to produce it

but again, at this point if you havent understood the point im trying to make thus far, then this will probably be my last reply

13z8pc6.jpg

#47 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,240 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted September 18, 2012 - 02:33 PM

PS3 had very poor sales it didn't pick up for awhile and even then Sony was taking a loss per unit. It wasn't until they started using cheaper manufacturing procedures and parts that they finally made some profit per unit even by lowering price.

Sony killed the Vita with it's price, launched to ok but not what expected numbers in Japan then dramaticly fell there. Also, never sold well at all everywhere else worldwide.

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#48 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 7,219 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted September 22, 2012 - 04:52 PM

Posted Image

Edited by Mr Terrific, September 22, 2012 - 04:58 PM.

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#49 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 24, 2012 - 10:11 AM

Posted Image

perfect gaming tv

no lag

Pau Gasol is GONE

#50 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted September 24, 2012 - 10:45 AM

I still use it to play my ps3 i cant play in a wide screen for some reason used to the old square tv
Posted Image

#51 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 24, 2012 - 10:48 AM

thats the type of tv I'll use for tekken which requires strict timing

Pau Gasol is GONE

#52 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,290 posts
  • Name:Ray Donovan
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 24, 2012 - 11:33 AM

II've never experienced lag when gaming on my 120hz Samsung 1080p that wasn't related to multiple ppl being on my basic wi fi.

The new Samsung 46 inch LED 1080p that I got last week with "enhanced" 120hz motion handling is even better too.

Maybe you guys are gaming on 60hz TV's?

I've played games on 60hz HDTV's and they can't handle the fast moving motion. Movies and ish on TV looks bad too.

#53 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,240 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted September 24, 2012 - 01:07 PM

Never had lag period from 60hz up to my no name brand 120hz 55" lcd

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users