52 replies to this topic

#1 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,690 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 14, 2012 - 09:44 PM

Every year hardware manufacturers release new iterations of their products. From Apple to Samsung to Nintendo, the upgrade treadmill never ends. So, why do we feel the need to buy into it every year? We'll show you why you get stuck on the upgrade treadmill, and how to be happy with what you have.

At Amazon's recent press conference for the new Kindle Fire, CEO Jeff Bezos calls the phenomonon of constant new gadgets the "upgrade treadmill:"

We don't need you to be on the upgrade treadmill. If we made our money when people bought the device, we'd be rolling out programs left and right to try to get you to upgrade. In fact, we're happy that people are still using Kindle Ones that are five years old. They're still reading on them, and every time they buy a book, that's good for us. That's alignment.

For Amazon, hardware doesn't really matter because they make their money from content. But Bezos' point still remains: that upgrade treadmill is something most of us are caught on. It's not just tablets, it's everything: game systems, phones, TVs, appliances—when a new shiny gadget comes, most of us turn into a precious-obsessed Gollum. Why do we do this? And more importantly, how can we get off the treadmill and enjoy what we already own?

Rest of article
http://lifehacker.com/5942915/how-to-get-off-the-upgrade-treadmill-and-stop-wasting-money-on-new-tech
Posted Image

#2 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,690 posts
  • Name:Alexi

Posted September 15, 2012 - 05:09 AM

This goes for all of you guys who have a 4s and are thinking of getting the 5...
Posted Image

#3 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,231 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted September 15, 2012 - 05:58 AM

Good read and common sense, technology is a horrible investment. It changes way to quickly with minor updates.

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#4 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted September 15, 2012 - 06:05 AM

Basically all the impatient people are doing is paying to beta test.

:laughing:

#5 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,115 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted September 15, 2012 - 06:08 AM

have to upgrade my game systems though

Pau Gasol is GONE

#6 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 7,097 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted September 15, 2012 - 07:18 AM

I'm getting a Wii U even though I barely play my Wii

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#7 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,179 posts
  • Name:Ray Donovan
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 15, 2012 - 08:04 AM

If I was rich i'd probably upgrade to the newest and best of technology every other week. Newest smart phone, newest gaming system(don't really come out often), newest HDTV, yuh name it.

But i'm not, and I don't care for having the latest of something that much to break bank for it.

Smart phone wise, I'm locked into 2 year contracts with Verizon and i'm not gonna pay their outrageous ETF to get the newest iPhones ot whatever. When my contract is up I will get their best available smart phone tho. Leaning towards a Samsung Galaxy S3 at the moment. But will wait a few weeks/months to see if something better comes out.

Gaming systems don't come out often enough, but i'll probably get the PS4 day one to replace my PS3.

I barely ordered my first flat screen HDTV last night, i'll be keeping that for years unless it breaks down quicker than that.

Don't have a PC and my laptop is broken, so no worries there.

#8 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 08:07 AM

I'm gonna wait for a price drop on the Wii U.

The Wii U is just a Wii with current gen graphics, and a nifty new controller.

Not worth a purchase from launch.

The only console you wanna purchase at launch is the Playstation,
even though I'm a die hard xbox fan I won't be getting a launch
xbox becuase of the RROD issues the launch 360 had.

Sony's launch consoles are usually the best, they take the cheap
route after. The opposite of MS.

Newer PS3s are made with crap parts.

#9 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,879 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted September 15, 2012 - 08:13 AM

If I was rich i'd probably upgrade to the newest and best of technology every other week. Newest smart phone, newest gaming system(don't really come out often), newest HDTV, yuh name it.

But i'm not, and I don't care for having the latest of something that much to break bank for it.

Smart phone wise, I'm locked into 2 year contracts with Verizon and i'm not gonna pay their outrageous ETF to get the newest iPhones ot whatever. When my contract is up I will get their best available smart phone tho. Leaning towards a Samsung Galaxy S3 at the moment. But will wait a few weeks/months to see if something better comes out.

Gaming systems don't come out often enough, but i'll probably get the PS4 day one to replace my PS3.

I barely ordered my first flat screen HDTV last night, i'll be keeping that for years unless it breaks down quicker than that.

Don't have a PC and my laptop is broken, so no worries there.

As much as I love gaming systems even I know its not a smart buy to get a gaming system when it first comes out. Those things are ridiculous priced, and not many games are even out there for them so there is no rush to get it. The new xbox I am def gonna get but probably after a few months when the price drop happens once they realize no one wants to pay 500 bucks for a console. Even though Im starting to think the new systems will be 500 after a price drop since they are trying to make systems that are comparable to a comp specs so pc gamers can no longer say that consoles are inferior.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#10 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,179 posts
  • Name:Ray Donovan
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 15, 2012 - 08:27 AM

As much as I love gaming systems even I know its not a smart buy to get a gaming system when it first comes out. Those things are ridiculous priced, and not many games are even out there for them so there is no rush to get it. The new xbox I am def gonna get but probably after a few months when the price drop happens once they realize no one wants to pay 500 bucks for a console. Even though Im starting to think the new systems will be 500 after a price drop since they are trying to make systems that are comparable to a comp specs so pc gamers can no longer say that consoles are inferior.

Good points.

PS3 was stupid expensive when it came out yeah, and launch games for them usually don't looks as polished or play as well.

Like you said, even after a price drop we might still see a $500 price tag on it, and we don't even know how soon after launch Sony or Microsoft will decide to slash the price.

For me it'll depend on launch price and launch tittles available. If it's like $800 and the best games available at launch are some Little Big Planet ish lol, then I might pass.

#11 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 08:35 AM

PS is the exception tho, if you get one of the models Sony puts out after a price cut you are stuck with a machine
that was made with cheap parts to cut costs and could possibly end up with a dead console right after your
warranty expires.

Happened to a lot of my friends.

If you are getting a PS, get the launch console, if you want a launch console for cheap, know your model #'s
and buy one used in good condition.

Edited by FiveSixDeuce, September 15, 2012 - 08:36 AM.

#12 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,879 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 08:46 AM

Good points.

PS3 was stupid expensive when it came out yeah, and launch games for them usually don't looks as polished or play as well.

Like you said, even after a price drop we might still see a $500 price tag on it, and we don't even know how soon after launch Sony or Microsoft will decide to slash the price.

For me it'll depend on launch price and launch tittles available. If it's like $800 and the best games available at launch are some Little Big Planet ish lol, then I might pass.

Yea I remember when I first got the xbox 360and the only game on it that was any good was cod2, or well halo but Im not a halo guy. On top of the price thing just finding one of those things is hard too. I remember it took me some time just to find a store with them in stock because even a few months after it came out people were still waiting out front of stores to get it when there was a rumor that they were getting a shipment.

PS is the exception tho, if you get one of the models Sony puts out after a price cut you are stuck with a machine
that was made with cheap parts to cut costs and could possibly end up with a dead console right after your
warranty expires.

Happened to a lot of my friends.

If you are getting a PS, get the launch console, if you want a launch console for cheap, know your model #'s
and buy one used in good condition.

Well I guess it is opposite for me because Im a 360 guy. I mean the first xboxs got the rrod left and right, but after a chip switch it was less likely and eventually they got that problem under control with newer models. I dont like launch consoles because you know in about half a year the price will be cut and there will be a newer version of it on its way. Not rushing into tech things is probably the best thing to do because of thinks like kinks and hardware problems on top of that the price is set way to high.

#13 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 09:16 AM

^

Yeah I feel you, which is why I said this earlier.

even though I'm a die hard xbox fan I won't be getting a launch
xbox becuase of the RROD issues the launch 360 had.

#14 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,115 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 11:27 AM

I expect the PS4 to be cheaper at launch.

But, I actually think they release the consoles too fast. Need to give time for developers to tap the full potential of the console before coming out with its successor.

Edited by Windu, September 15, 2012 - 11:28 AM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#15 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,879 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 12:13 PM

I expect the PS4 to be cheaper at launch.

But, I actually think they release the consoles too fast. Need to give time for developers to tap the full potential of the console before coming out with its successor.

Naaa I could totally see the ps3 being 700 or even 800 at launch. Both sony and Microsoft are trying to put hardware into these things that can battle with gaming comps and thats not gonna be cheap at all to do. I mean this console cycle has been out what about 8 years? Thats a pretty long time especially considering its tech. I know that it takes developers a few years to actually maximize its hardware, but its been a while and the new consoles will have significantly better hardware.

I think that console cycles though really have to do with sales rather than the tech in the console. I mean this is about the longest cycle that is ever been out, but the machines have been selling well through the years, but they are coming to a stop. Now weather this has to do with just the whole gaming market being down, or the fact that people no more want the game is up to debate. Both sony and microsoft see that the console wars are dying down and sales are down, they put out a new system and I can bet the gaming market picks back up. The thing is 8 years is a long time and I got my xbox 360 when I was like in 7th grade and have played it all the way up to my college years. They put out a new system they will have me buying it, and all the new gamers out there as well. Gaming is still a big market and I think that a new console will show this.

#16 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,115 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 02:02 PM

sony is not gonna put a price tag of 700/800 at launch...not even close. they won't make any money doing that cause few would be crazy enough to pay that much

Pau Gasol is GONE

#17 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,814 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 03:21 PM

i agree with FiveSixDeuce, features wise, the launch ps3 (specifically the 60bg unit) was the best unit they built..every ps3 model since then has been a downgrade, most people dont know this tho

and also, sony is not stupid, they almost killed themselves pricing the ps3 so high, i dont expect the new unit to be 200 dollars more than the ps3 was at launch

somewhere around 500 dollars is probably what they will charge their new system, they know they failed with the ps3 at launch charging people so much

i know this because i got a launch ps3 a month after it came out, and they asked me to survey the system, and the price of the unit was the topic of most of the questions i was asked

the topic of backwards compatibility was also a question they asked aswell, it was something like "how much do you value backwards compatibility"

i didnt think my responses mattered, but afew months later they came out with new units that removed backwards compatibly of PS2 games lol

the reason why this current get has lasted so long is because it take longer to develop games than ever before, and the cost to produce these games are ridiculous. thats also why you see alot of sequel games on the market as opposed to new game series, devs want to play it safe and produce games they know will sell, so im not surprised this current gen has lasted so long

13z8pc6.jpg

#18 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,115 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 03:23 PM

i think the ps4 will be around $350

Pau Gasol is GONE

#19 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,520 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted September 17, 2012 - 11:40 AM

No matter what, you'll never have the latest. There's crazy people opening multiple, unused lines just to upgrade to a new phone. But I guess to each his own.

2hf753r.jpg

#20 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,879 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 12:26 PM

i think the ps4 will be around $350

Naa I think it will definitely be more than that. The reason that I think the new consoles will be so much is because the gimmick stuff they added onto the 360 and ps3 I feel will be standard on the new things. For example I feel like kinect integration will be standard on the new xbox and with ps3 they will try to come up with something that is similar to this, hence play station move but well that was a pretty big fail.To me I think that the new systems are gonna be more than just gaming systems, but rather trying to be the center of you media system on top of playing games. Both 360 and ps3 already do good at this and Im sure both companies will find a way to improve on these things. Hardware upgrades is where the big bucks come in to. People thing since they see smart phones going for 200 bucks that things such as processioning power is cheap, but the real price that the carriers pay for the phone is around 700 and 800 bucks, us the consumer just save money when you sign a 2 year deal. Maybe 700 is a little steep but 600 seems more than likely to me if their gonna try to build a power house system that is gonna stay around for 10 years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users