Photo

Chris Bosh Giving Up On Trying To Increase Bulk

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,559 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted September 09, 2012 - 10:11 AM

Chris Bosh Adding Weight To Play Center

Posted Image

Chris Bosh is adding six pounds of muscle to prepare for the rigors of playing a full season at center.

Bosh’s move to center would allow Erik Spoelstra to play LeBron James more at power forward, giving the Heat mismatch advantages on both ends of the floor.

Bosh was listed at 235 pounds last season, his second with the Heat.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/

Edited by LALakersFan4Life, October 01, 2012 - 09:05 AM.

#2 lodom7

lodom7

Rookie

• 928 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Kid
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted September 09, 2012 - 11:39 AM

He will need more than six pounds of muscle to try and guard Howard next year.
Posted Image

Lamar Odom 2005-2011

#3 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,531 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted September 09, 2012 - 12:48 PM

So he's gonna take his quickness out so he will weigh a little more. Dude has o realize its too late to be a real big.

#4 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,698 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted September 09, 2012 - 06:05 PM

This is gonna backfire on him, aside from his midrange j, his biggest strength is his quickness.

2div

#5 LikeABosh

LikeABosh

Off The Bench

• 2,537 posts
  • Fan Since:Kobe/Fisher
  • Fav. Laker:Fisher

Posted September 10, 2012 - 11:19 AM

He did this before but I think he went up to 250 and it was bad on his knees.

#6 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 11, 2012 - 08:42 AM

First of all, this is a big mistake by Bosh. Adding weight will take away the effective elements of his game. It also won't automatically make him able to compete in the paint with the bigger guys.

Second, any weight he gains, with his build and metabolism will be gone 1/3 of the way through the season. He has a similar build to Robert Horry who always came into the season a little bigger every year. By 30 games in, he was right back to the same build he always maintained.

This is reaching by Bosh.

#7 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,925 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 11, 2012 - 09:40 AM

See they're trying to go small. This gimmick wont work in the long run with Lebron at PF and Bosh at C. 82 game season they'll get worn down

Look at their competition around them

Philly: Bynum and Hawes
Boston: KG and Sullinger
Knicks : Chandler and Amare
Indiana: Hibbert and David West
Chicago: Noah and Boozer/Gibson
Washington: Nene and Okafor
New Jersey: Lopez and Humphries

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#8 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,119 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 11, 2012 - 05:15 PM

Mistake by Bosh if he goes this route, his build is what makes him effective with his all around game, he shouldn't be attempting to bang with other Centers. heck Lebron is bigger than him :blink:

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#9 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,531 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted September 11, 2012 - 07:33 PM

I think ever sense bosh went to the heat his confidence has gone way down. I mean he is a really good player but he's doing some stupid [expletive] right now. Keep to your strengths.

#10 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,745 posts
  • Name:Drazard
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 11, 2012 - 11:45 PM

*facepalm*

every people has a standard weight and bosh is overdoing it which it will hurt himself also his team.

33bkfif.jpg

#11 Rad

Rad

• 1,621 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 04:23 AM

So you mean he's going to look less like a velociraptor and more like a T-Rex?

#12 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,029 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted September 12, 2012 - 07:41 AM

See they're trying to go small. This gimmick wont work in the long run with Lebron at PF and Bosh at C. 82 game season they'll get worn down

Look at their competition around them

Philly: Bynum and Hawes
Boston: KG and Sullinger
Knicks : Chandler and Amare
Indiana: Hibbert and David West
Chicago: Noah and Boozer/Gibson
Washington: Nene and Okafor
New Jersey: Lopez and Humphries

I'm so relieved to see that now :rock: :rock:

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#13 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,772 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted September 12, 2012 - 08:04 AM

No way bosh is gonna add any real weight or muscle mass. The time for that is in college and your first few years in the league, I mean we all saw how Howard blew up after just a few years in the league. Bosh is fighting a losing battle here and oh man a whole 6 pounds of muscle ? Whats that the forearm of Howard :laughing: :laughing: The only reason Bosh can actually play center is because of his smaller frame which gives him an advantage over other centers in the category of speed. Bring on bosh at center Im gonna love seeing Howard bully his little self in the paint.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#14 underworldmike

underworldmike

Rodmanator

• 1,492 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Fan Since:Since i was born
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman and Kobe Bryant

Posted September 12, 2012 - 04:49 PM

No way bosh is gonna add any real weight or muscle mass. The time for that is in college and your first few years in the league, I mean we all saw how Howard blew up after just a few years in the league. Bosh is fighting a losing battle here and oh man a whole 6 pounds of muscle ? Whats that the forearm of Howard :laughing: :laughing: The only reason Bosh can actually play center is because of his smaller frame which gives him an advantage over other centers in the category of speed. Bring on bosh at center Im gonna love seeing Howard bully his little self in the paint.

I have to agree and disagree with this. Defense wise bosh will get demolished by dwight. Offense wise i think bosh wins. U will see bosh stepping back and shooting mid jumpers all day.
Posted Image

#15 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,795 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 05:10 PM

I have to agree and disagree with this. Defense wise bosh will get demolished by dwight. Offense wise i think bosh wins. U will see bosh stepping back and shooting mid jumpers all day.

i think we put pau on bosh if thats the case

13z8pc6.jpg

#16 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,418 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted September 12, 2012 - 08:36 PM

Dwight wouldn't defend bosh but if he needed to....he could easily do it.

#17 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,598 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 15, 2012 - 05:24 AM

Bosh just doesn't have the build to add "real" muscle.
Posted Image

#18 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,015 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 15, 2012 - 05:31 AM

i think we put pau on bosh if thats the case

lol good luck with that

Pau Gasol is GONE

#19 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,559 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted October 01, 2012 - 09:08 AM

Chris Bosh Giving Up On Trying To Increase Bulk

Posted Image

Unable to increase his muscle mass, Chris Bosh has accepted that his game will rely on speed and quickness.

BY JOSEPH GOODMAN
jgoodman@miamiherald.com

Chris Bosh tried. You can’t say he didn’t.

Bosh tried to bulk up. Gave it is all, truly. But you can’t turn an apple into an orange, you can’t change a thoroughbred into an elephant and you can’t morph Chris Bosh into Alonzo Mourning.

“It’s been like that for three years,” Bosh said on Saturday about the long-term plan to bulk him up and tweak his game. “After about three years I said forget it and just be myself. I’m never going to be big and just bulky like that.

“I’m strong but it’s a wiry strong and it’s two totally different things.”

The muscles are there, but, as Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said on media day, “He’s long; he’s strong.”

And, most importantly, fast.

Spoelstra’s “position-less” basketball is founded in the belief that the use of speed to create mismatches is just as good in today’s NBA as having hulking giants in the middle of the lane. That philosophy is just fine with Bosh, who feels his natural skills are tailor-made for the concept as the team’s center.

“They need me to be fast against other [centers],” Bosh said. “That’s my advantage. We want to make teams match up to us and that’s how it’s going to be here.”

So, the plan to load Bosh’s body down with extra weight is officially over.

“I’ve put all that to the side and just focused on my game,” Bosh said.

Still, the question remains: How is he going to match up against the game’s traditional centers? Things slow down in the playoffs. Games grind to a halt and half-court basketball takes over. What then? Is he worried about banging inside with Philadelphia’s new center, Andrew Bynum, and the Lakers’ new tent pole, Dwight Howard?

“Not even those two,” Bosh said. “I’ve played them before. It’s nothing I haven’t seen. Yeah, they do have a weight advantage but that’s only in your mind.”

Bring it on, says Bosh.

“If teams feel like they have an advantage, tell them to dump it down there if they can,” Bosh said. “That’s my answer to everything. If they say, ‘Bosh can’t play the five. We have an advantage,’ and people think that, then tell them to dump it down there and we’ll see what happens.”

What will happen?

“I’ll play defense, get the rebound and we’ll go,” he said.

Bosh doesn’t plan on having his back to the basket that often. He worked on his post moves Sunday, the third day of the Heat’s training camp, but he also worked on his outside shooting. He’s still going to be stepping out to the three- point line from time to time.

Let Howard and Bynum try to guard him there. Spoelstra’s vision for Bosh has helped him accept the fact that he’s now the team’s star center rather than its power forward. Bosh resisted for a time, but you can’t argue with success. He played center during the 2012 playoffs “and we won a championship.”

“I went ahead and stopped fighting it,” Bosh said. “Like they say, don’t fight it, just invite it. Once I stopped doing that, things became better for me.

“Once you accept playing a position, then you learn how to play that position well. You can’t just be, ‘Well, I’m stuck here until someone subs in and I can move over.’ We have advantages, so we have to make sure we take those.”

It seems Bosh came to peace with a lot of things over the offseason. That tends to happen when you win a championship. He’s not going to worry about his statistics as much this season and he says he’s not concerned about what fans think of him either.

If people don’t respect his game, so be it. He’d like to start at center in the All-Star game — knows he’s good enough — but starters are determined by the vote of fans. No need in stressing about that.

“I do my best not to get caught up in that because the more you fight for the respect the less you’re going to get it,” Bosh said. “That was last year. I don’t want to be like, ‘Ahh! I want respect!’ and I’m getting my ass handed to me every night.”

Both publicly and privately, Bosh is entering this season without any individual statistical goals. He wanted to average more than 10 rebounds a game last season and he finished at 7.9.

“I was talking too much last year,” Bosh said. “Every time I set a goal I never make it. I don’t even want to set private statistics.”

Bosh joked that he was “shooting for the stars” last season but “didn’t even land in the clouds.”

But the clouds aren’t so bad. That’s where champions celebrate.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/10/01/3027951/miami-heats-chris-bosh-no-longer.html

LOL So much for trying to bulk up.

#20 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,698 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted October 01, 2012 - 10:02 AM

Haha I can't wait til we play the heat.. We'll see how well he'll fare against D12

2div

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users