#1 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,208 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted September 08, 2012 - 08:21 AM

Posted Image

Amazon has made the jump from small to big screens with its e-readers in the past, and its now done so again with its tablets. The company has just announced a new Kindle Fire HD with an 8.9-inch, 1920 x 1200 display (or 254 ppi). The device itself measures 8.8mm thick and weighs in at 20 ounces, and that high-res screen has a polarizing filter on it that promises to cut down on glare -- the touch sensor is also laminated, which Amazon says offers better sharpness and contrast. As for internals, the Fire HD 8.9 (as Amazon has distinguished it) has a TI OMAP 4470 processor, dual speakers, a front-facing HD camera, and HDMI out. As the company is happy to point out, it's also the first tablet with dual-band (2.4GHz, 5GHz) MIMO technology, which Amazon says makes the device's WiFi 41 percent faster than the latest iPad. Look for it to run you $299 for the 16GB version when it starts shipping on November 20th. Those looking for some added connectivity will also be able to opt for a Kindle Fire HD with 4G LTE for $499 (also shipping November 20th). That buys you 32GB of storage instead of the standard 16GB (a 64GB option is also available), and you'll get 250MB of data per month from AT&T if you shell out an extra $50 a year.

But that's not all, Amazon has also announced a smaller, 7-inch Kindle Fire HD that will run you just $199 (also for 16GB). It boasts most of the same specs as its larger counterpart, the big exception being the screen resolution -- you'll get 1280 x 800 here, which puts it on par with the Nexus 7. According to Amazon, you can expect 11 hours of battery life from the 7-inch model, but it's curiously not offering battery details on the Fire HD 8.9. Pre-orders for all three options start today.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/amazon-announces-kindle-fire-hd/

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#2 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,818 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted September 08, 2012 - 08:32 AM

Posted Image

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/amazon-announces-kindle-fire-hd/

Hate to break it to amazon or anyone trying to make it in the tablet market, its not gonna happen. The only way to sell those things is cheap models, but if you make one that is close in price to the ipad its not gonna sell at all.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#3 Thanatos

Thanatos

Rookie

• 1,241 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted September 08, 2012 - 09:44 AM

Hate to break it to amazon or anyone trying to make it in the tablet market, its not gonna happen. The only way to sell those things is cheap models, but if you make one that is close in price to the ipad its not gonna sell at all.

It's half the price of the iPad. :facepalm:

The iPad is overpriced for what you pay, anyway.
Posted Image

#4 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,818 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 10:26 AM

It's half the price of the iPad. :facepalm:

The iPad is overpriced for what you pay, anyway.

Yea but the thing is if someone is willing to spend a few hundred bucks on a tablet you can bet your ass their gonna pay the extra money for apple. To tech junkies they would buy the amazon one no doubt but they make up about 10 percent of the market and that isnt enough to support good sales. The average consumer when they have a tablet in mind they think of the ipad and unless the other chose is a lot cheaper hence a 100 dollar one or 200 dollar one they might actually choose that, but when someone goes out to buy a tablet they already know their gonna spend a couple hundred bucks, and they dont mind paying the extra for an apple one.

Yes the ipad is over priced but the consumer market has shown they just dont care that they over pay for the same product. To you its obvious which one is the better buy but apple has become a life style to these mindless buyers and those ipads are gonna keep selling left and right because of this. The reason google started selling the nexus 7 was just to get a share of the market they literally made nothing on the sale of the device, it was a risk worth taking because they knew that no tablet can have superior specs to the ipad and sell if its close to the price range because at the end of the day apple has the table market on lock.

Like I said the only tablets that have a chance to thrive is the cheaper one they put out, but their not profitable to a company really. Then they will try to push out a device with superior hardware and what not, but have to jack up the price to pay for production and try to make a profit, but their not gonna be able to do that because one you get into enough money apple products win. If apple would lower the price of their ipad I could guarantee the all other tablets would cease to exist.

#5 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 7,034 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted September 08, 2012 - 10:50 AM

Yea but the thing is if someone is willing to spend a few hundred bucks on a tablet you can bet your ass their gonna pay the extra money for apple. To tech junkies they would buy the amazon one no doubt but they make up about 10 percent of the market and that isnt enough to support good sales. The average consumer when they have a tablet in mind they think of the ipad and unless the other chose is a lot cheaper hence a 100 dollar one or 200 dollar one they might actually choose that, but when someone goes out to buy a tablet they already know their gonna spend a couple hundred bucks, and they dont mind paying the extra for an apple one.

Yes the ipad is over priced but the consumer market has shown they just dont care that they over pay for the same product. To you its obvious which one is the better buy but apple has become a life style to these mindless buyers and those ipads are gonna keep selling left and right because of this. The reason google started selling the nexus 7 was just to get a share of the market they literally made nothing on the sale of the device, it was a risk worth taking because they knew that no tablet can have superior specs to the ipad and sell if its close to the price range because at the end of the day apple has the table market on lock.

Like I said the only tablets that have a chance to thrive is the cheaper one they put out, but their not profitable to a company really. Then they will try to push out a device with superior hardware and what not, but have to jack up the price to pay for production and try to make a profit, but their not gonna be able to do that because one you get into enough money apple products win. If apple would lower the price of their ipad I could guarantee the all other tablets would cease to exist.

Rumor is that iPad is coming out with a smaller model & Microsoft is making one too

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#6 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,208 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 10:50 AM

Rumor is that iPad is coming out with a smaller model & Microsoft is making one too

More like a fact not rumor lol

21lsbya.jpg

#7 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 7,034 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 10:51 AM

Amazon's got a real good rep so it should sell. Microsoft...not so much

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#8 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,818 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 11:00 AM

Amazon's got a real good rep so it should sell. Microsoft...not so much

Yea amazon does have a lot of pull that is no doubt, but in comparison to apple I really dont think it matters. The average consumer will look at it like amazon is a place I go to buy stuff on why would they make a good tablet.

#9 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,208 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 12:53 PM

I had a iPad 3 (New iPad) one time, took it back after a week, got in a argument with the "Genius" when I actually was going to get a iPhone instead. Lost my business went with a HTC One X and don't miss iOS at all.

I've gone from Windows Mobile 6.5 > webOS (:cry:) > iOS, Android, iOS, Windows Phone 7.5 > Android and don't get all the hype around iOS. I mean I understand with no dissrespect it's simple to use for people who don't understand how to use technology but so is Windows Phone and was webOS but wit more features on both.

This Kindle HD >>>>>>> iPad

21lsbya.jpg

#10 kingulee

kingulee

Rookie

• 117 posts
  • Fan Since:f0REVER
  • Fav. Laker:kb24~*

Posted September 08, 2012 - 01:58 PM

I'm in love with my Nexus 7! Haven't put it down since I got it:)

#11 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,208 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 02:23 PM

I'm in love with my Nexus 7! Haven't put it down since I got it:)

Those are real nice too, but Kindle HD gives you more for the same price

21lsbya.jpg

#12 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted September 08, 2012 - 03:13 PM

does IPad still not support flash?
Posted Image

#13 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 7,034 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 03:33 PM

I heard flash is going outta business

#14 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,818 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 04:18 PM

I believe it is HTML 5 is suppose to be taking all that stuff over.

• 40,400 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 04:47 PM

Kinda, but not definitively for at least the next several years from what I've read. Apple's just way too damn stubborn.

One of the best things I'm liking about this new Amazon tablet is the fact that it's got an HDMI output. Absolutely love that.

& the size itself at 8.9, not 7 and not 10, maybe just the right size? Not sure, that's of course debatable and mainly varies to personal preference.

yo.

#16 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,208 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 04:57 PM

Correct and never will.

Adobe stopped supporting flash for new mobile devices unless your device already had it.

Flash is far from dead on PC market though

21lsbya.jpg

• 40,400 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 05:05 PM

^ I know that Flash still worked on the old Kindle Fire and they actually went somewhat out of their way to boast about that proudly. Not sure if the new version will as well. Considering though that the software will be mostly about the same with not many changes, it's possible it'll still be on, though I haven't been able to find anything all across the net definitively confirming this or not.

yo.

#18 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,208 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 05:45 PM

^ I know that Flash still worked on the old Kindle Fire and they actually went somewhat out of their way to boast about that proudly. Not sure if the new version will as well. Considering though that the software will be mostly about the same with not many changes, it's possible it'll still be on, though I haven't been able to find anything all across the net definitively confirming this or not.

It will unless they go with Jellybean Android 4.1 then no flash

21lsbya.jpg

• 40,400 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 05:56 PM

^ If I were them, I'd keep the Flash for a multitude of reasons, but one being who their direct competitor is, at least for the 7 inch category, which is the Nexus 7 as it clearly does not.

yo.

#20 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,208 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 06:12 AM

^ I agree but it's up to Adobe not Google and Adobe already said no Flash for any new mobile OS's. So if Amazon wants the latest and greatest of Android then no flash.

21lsbya.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users