#101 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,256 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 11, 2012 - 08:59 AM

I've got so much more to unload on this guy, but I'm going to do it out of nowhere, every now and then, since he's quickly becoming the most hated Laker in my eyes. I'm getting sick and tired of reading ANYTHING about this scrub, and I hope we drop this guy so he can take a boat overseas and become another overweight and bitter Smush Parker.

Lol my goodness. Does this topic agitate you that much to where you wish the 'Smush Curse' on him? I'm on the record for being a fan of Morris. More so his skillset than how he actually utilizes it. I don't think he's better than Blake but I do believe he could maybe push for PT if he cleans up his sloppy play. I think the point here is that Morris still has plenty of room to learn and develop, where as Blake is what he is. Give me Blake as the backup but I'd still like to have Morris developed and see what it yields in another year.

#102 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,469 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted September 11, 2012 - 09:33 AM

It's okay real deal we have had countless arguments over players you deem scrubs and that I think can actually contribute like the whole Gerald Green argument and now he's signed to the Indiana pacers for a 2 year deal when he was on our squad trying to make a cut I honestly think you don't look at a players overall skill set at all I think you just pick and chose who believe is good and who isn't good based on favoritism... From what I've seen from Darius Morris is that he has a good enough skill set to at least be a consistent reserve role for Steve Nash I don't think he will be a all star I firmly believe he's better than Steve Blake and you believe he isn't and it isn't much to be better than Steve Blake

He showed you facts proving Blake is better than Morris. What did you bring to the table? Your useless opinion.

#103 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 11, 2012 - 09:48 AM

Lol.

#104 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted September 11, 2012 - 09:57 AM

It's okay real deal we have had countless arguments over players you deem scrubs and that I think can actually contribute like the whole Gerald Green argument and now he's signed to the Indiana pacers for a 2 year deal when he was on our squad trying to make a cut I honestly think you don't look at a players overall skill set at all I think you just pick and chose who believe is good and who isn't good based on favoritism... From what I've seen from Darius Morris is that he has a good enough skill set to at least be a consistent reserve role for Steve Nash I don't think he will be a all star I firmly believe he's better than Steve Blake and you believe he isn't and it isn't much to be better than Steve Blake

:facepalm:

For one, Green was signed for three years. He's also making less per year than...Steve Blake. You know why? Teams would not spend over $3.5 million a season on him.

Want to know what else the Pacers did? They gave Ian Mahinmi a four-year contract worth $4 million a year.

Do you even know why Gerald Green was signed? Do you know the role he will play in their offense? Do you even know what offense the Pacers run? Did you know that Green finished the last eight games of the season shooting around 42-43% and shooting just 12 total free throw attempts, despite playing anywhere from 25-34 minutes a night AND taking over 12 shots per game?

Don't even answer any of that.

Lol my goodness. Does this topic agitate you that much to where you wish the 'Smush Curse' on him? I'm on the record for being a fan of Morris. More so his skillset than how he actually utilizes it. I don't think he's better than Blake but I do believe he could maybe push for PT if he cleans up his sloppy play. I think the point here is that Morris still has plenty of room to learn and develop, where as Blake is what he is. Give me Blake as the backup but I'd still like to have Morris developed and see what it yields in another year.

Truthfully, I wish Morris would become Andre Miller, but it's not going to happen.

Most all young players are given NBA contracts (rookies, undrafted minimums, whatever) based on potential. That's why they are handed jerseys. Otherwise, what's the point? Robert Sacre has potential, too. He doesn't have as much as Morris, but Morris doesn't have as much potential as Devin Ebanks, either...and the list goes on for every team, every season.

Most certainly...Morris can be a better player. That doesn't mean he can be better than Steve Blake (who I don't even like), and when I read people pumping up his SL play (which was poor) and saying the guy has all of these skills he just couldn't tap into BECAUSE of lack of playing time? It's providing our community with rubbish that they have to partially read (at least). That's the problem.

That, and I don't want Buss to hand another contract to Morris based on what he thinks he can do, because he has done that with too many players over the years, leading to failure. He brought in Morrison, gave Walton money he should have never considered ($5 mill/yr for that long was ridiculous), almost fell into a money pit with Farmar (who is five times better than Morris), gave Vujacic too much money, and because we'll be seeking another PG in two seasons, he'll more than likely do the same for some other young gun.

#105 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 09:59 AM

Lol.

Wow...yep, lol.

:whistle:

#106 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 09:59 AM

LMAO.

Essentially this is my response from here on out.

#107 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,140 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 11, 2012 - 11:44 AM

:facepalm:

For one, Green was signed for three years. He's also making less per year than...Steve Blake. You know why? Teams would not spend over $3.5 million a season on him.

Want to know what else the Pacers did? They gave Ian Mahinmi a four-year contract worth $4 million a year.

Do you even know why Gerald Green was signed? Do you know the role he will play in their offense? Do you even know what offense the Pacers run? Did you know that Green finished the last eight games of the season shooting around 42-43% and shooting just 12 total free throw attempts, despite playing anywhere from 25-34 minutes a night AND taking over 12 shots per game?

Don't even answer any of that.

Truthfully, I wish Morris would become Andre Miller, but it's not going to happen.

Most all young players are given NBA contracts (rookies, undrafted minimums, whatever) based on potential. That's why they are handed jerseys. Otherwise, what's the point? Robert Sacre has potential, too. He doesn't have as much as Morris, but Morris doesn't have as much potential as Devin Ebanks, either...and the list goes on for every team, every season.

Most certainly...Morris can be a better player. That doesn't mean he can be better than Steve Blake (who I don't even like), and when I read people pumping up his SL play (which was poor) and saying the guy has all of these skills he just couldn't tap into BECAUSE of lack of playing time? It's providing our community with rubbish that they have to partially read (at least). That's the problem.

That, and I don't want Buss to hand another contract to Morris based on what he thinks he can do, because he has done that with too many players over the years, leading to failure. He brought in Morrison, gave Walton money he should have never considered ($5 mill/yr for that long was ridiculous), almost fell into a money pit with Farmar (who is five times better than Morris), gave Vujacic too much money, and because we'll be seeking another PG in two seasons, he'll more than likely do the same for some other young gun.

yeah but all those guys you mention mustered up good seasons prior to that or had impressed Mitch from their impressive play on other teams. So unless Morris musters an 15 ppg and 7 or 8 assist year for us I don't think Mitch will be giving him a big time contract. Seems like he's willing to take it slow, and honestly it's the smart thing to do, as long as Morris' potential is still untapped and Mitch offers him the minimum no other team is gonna match that,. like they won't match or surpass for Ebanks either.

I don't see Mitch doing the "gonna give you 10 million to sit on the bench after one productive season" mistake with Morris.

And people hate Smush because he had an ego and thought he was a lot better than he was and was content to blame all the Lakers failures those years not on himself but on Kobe Bryant and said playing for the Lakers is an overrated experience.

Morris doesn't have a bone like that in his body. He is constantly working on his game trying to make improvements on his weaknesses and doing everything to develop his game and make up for leaving college early. Kobe already really likes the kid because of his work ethic and humbleness and a lot in the Lakers staff say he has a special kind of potential that it's up to him to tap into. They aren't going to overpay him or give him any kind of long contract unless he did. Mitch said it best when it comes to Morris on why he's not down on Morris, "The kid was put into a big time situation against the lions from his first game and he has potential but he wasn't ready for that." Mitch understands that.

But the kid is nowhere near Smush in terms of attitude or work ethic. You shouldn't get mad because people see potential in him despite his numbers while you live and die by his stat-line until he shows you something different while you yourself hope that changes happen.

You're as confident he'll never become a better player because of the stats of his rookie year, as they are that he'll make improvements in his game during the off-season and into this year with more time to develop around the guys and working with Nash. I'm more willing to believe that a kid with his humbleness and want to listen and learn and pick the mind of the legends surrounding him so he can become a better player has more of a chance of becoming a better player than you give him credit for. But we'll see.

If he truly schooled Brandon Jennings one on one then I'd say it speaks better volumes for his overall progress though one on one means little. But still it is nice to hear.

One of you is going to be wrong.

One things for sure, Mitch isn't going to give him a mediocre contract unless he does.

Edited by Majesty, September 11, 2012 - 11:59 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#108 Kobe>Jordan

Kobe>Jordan

Rookie

• 479 posts
  • Name:Kobe
  • Fan Since:Vietnam
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted September 11, 2012 - 12:14 PM

This isn't a morris thread. Talk about glock, if you want to talk about morris there is a d-league thread. And yes Luke Walton in his prime was better than morris. Walton actually had a high IQ, good passer, and a hussler and OK rebounder at times. Morris will never be as great as Luke.

Any way...

Glock is instant offense. That is something many teams can use. I think glock will be a much better fit with the team next season if we really do use the Princeton offense.

His shot and his floater should really come in handy. His defense isn't terrible either from what I've seen, its just his height that makes him a big mismatch for his position.

#109 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 12:19 PM

Morris didn't school Jennings. That's according to Daniel Artest, a guy who will never catch my attention. There was footage of a high school player "schooling" John Wall earlier, also...and that's actual footage. Meant nothing, though, because Wall was playing as if he didn't give a damn. I would put my house on it that Morris wouldn't be able to beat Brandon Jennings in a one-on-one game, nor would he be able to do anything against him in an NBA game. There's just no way.

Kobe likes Morris? He also called Goudelock the Mini Mamba, for some reason (ah...because they are teammates). He also said that Adam Morrison was the best shooter he has ever seen, not long after he said that about Sasha Vujacic. He also had good things to say about Devin Ebanks. I'm assuming Morris, Goudelock and Ebanks are the future?

I'm not living and dying by his stats. This is really the first time I actually posted his stats (over the course of last season). It's clear as day, when watching the guy, that he is nowhere near a productive NBA player, and I talked until I was blue in the face that he was not a starter-quality player (when we had Fisher and Blake getting minutes, and people actually wanted Morris to start and weren't joking about it, or saying it out of frustration).

Maybe Buss won't give him the big contract...who knows. Trades and transactions are MUCH harder to predict than a player's abilities and career accomplishments, though. There is nothing, nada, zilch...that says that Morris will be a productive player. That's all there is to it...and people cling to any possibility that he could be out of desperation and hope, knowing that Nash is nearly 40 and retired, Blake is in his 30's and declining, and after that, we have nothing else left at the PG position.

I'm honestly done talking about him. He's really not worth my time anymore. The last time I talked this much about a rookie/sophomore scrub, it was a waste of my time, also...and his name was Sun Yue.

#110 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 12:20 PM

This isn't a morris thread. Talk about glock, if you want to talk about morris there is a d-league thread.

Shut up.

#111 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,129 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted September 11, 2012 - 12:28 PM

Shut up.

:laughing: :laughing:

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#112 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 12:32 PM

Shut up.

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

#113 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted September 11, 2012 - 12:56 PM

This isn't a morris thread. Talk about glock, if you want to talk about morris there is a d-league thread. .

Shut up.

Posted Image

Edited by FiveSixDeuce, September 11, 2012 - 12:57 PM.

#114 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,140 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 01:11 PM

Morris didn't school Jennings. That's according to Daniel Artest, a guy who will never catch my attention. There was footage of a high school player "schooling" John Wall earlier, also...and that's actual footage. Meant nothing, though, because Wall was playing as if he didn't give a damn. I would put my house on it that Morris wouldn't be able to beat Brandon Jennings in a one-on-one game, nor would he be able to do anything against him in an NBA game. There's just no way.

Kobe likes Morris? He also called Goudelock the Mini Mamba, for some reason (ah...because they are teammates). He also said that Adam Morrison was the best shooter he has ever seen, not long after he said that about Sasha Vujacic. He also had good things to say about Devin Ebanks. I'm assuming Morris, Goudelock and Ebanks are the future?

I'm not living and dying by his stats. This is really the first time I actually posted his stats (over the course of last season). It's clear as day, when watching the guy, that he is nowhere near a productive NBA player, and I talked until I was blue in the face that he was not a starter-quality player (when we had Fisher and Blake getting minutes, and people actually wanted Morris to start and weren't joking about it, or saying it out of frustration).

Maybe Buss won't give him the big contract...who knows. Trades and transactions are MUCH harder to predict than a player's abilities and career accomplishments, though. There is nothing, nada, zilch...that says that Morris will be a productive player. That's all there is to it...and people cling to any possibility that he could be out of desperation and hope, knowing that Nash is nearly 40 and retired, Blake is in his 30's and declining, and after that, we have nothing else left at the PG position.

I'm honestly done talking about him. He's really not worth my time anymore. The last time I talked this much about a rookie/sophomore scrub, it was a waste of my time, also...and his name was Sun Yue.

Yeah but the difference between Sun Yue is that Sun Yue was impressive on the Olympians and in the ABA prior to coming to the Lakers.

While Yue was no scrub, he didn't translate into the NBA well, he was good where he was at, overseas and I never saw him as a "chinese magic johnson" in any shape or form. He had years of professional experience and had been playing professionally since 17 years old, and when he got into the league to flop like he did there is little excuse for and he didn't deserve the praise he got.

You cannot compare to two as you yourself have also admitted that one of Morris's biggest mistakes was leaving college early, he hasn't been on the professional level since 17 to come to the NBA and flop, and he hasn't had anyone calling him anything close to magic johnson. The biggest amount of praise he's ever got from a fan that I've seen was that he was the best point guard on the team that was filled with Blake and Fisher. That is a lot to put on a rookies shoulders after coming out of college after one year and for all intents and purposes wasn't ready. Remember I'm the first guy that said not to sleep on either rookie(Morris or Goudelock) in my first post here, so I've had faith in them from the very beginning when barely anyone was paying attention and even I will admit that last year he wasn't ready for the big time. But you tell me one point guard coming out of college after one year lately that is going to perform on par against Chris Paul in his very first NBA game. You won't find any.

What I do expect from Morris is that this year he'll be improving his game a lot and that Nash will help him along the way because he will listen and work on those things. To me he won't be FIGHTING for the starting position till the year after this one and will only become our bench PG this year if Blake gets injured or starts playing VERY badly. But I think his game will vastly improve over this one.

One thing is for sure, if I had a terrible season my first year in the league coming in as a baby and still running into my learning curve coming into this league and then saw comments from you about how i'll never become a better player than even Steve Blake when you don't know my work ethic or time I put in the gym and act like no matter what time I put in you saw all you needed to see in my rookie season to draw such a strong conclusion that nowhere in my career will I even surpass Steve Blake, It would probably push me harder to shut you up about it ;) But then I'd realize that one of the reasons you're so overly critical of me is because so many people are on the opposite side of the spectrum and overly expecting great things and I'd let it go and not blame it all on you.

Even so...

I think that Morris WILL become a better player than you're giving him credit for and I'm sure shall that happen no one on this forum will let you forget it because of how critical you've been of the kid. While at the same time if he never amounted to anything you'd be the last person bragging about it, which says a lot.

A lot of people don't like your "I want to be wrong, but I know I'm right." attitude when you disagree with them on other players, I personally enjoy it as it's always fun to debate with you and you always bring stats. Thus I expect you to give Morris credit when those stats turn in his favor if they do and not be like the types 'waiting on them to fail so will never credit them when they win' kind of people. But you have no problem being wrong so I don't see that happening.

So we'll see.

Edited by Majesty, September 11, 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#115 8RingKobe

8RingKobe

Rookie

• 724 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 01:18 PM

Shut up.

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Edited by 8RingKobe, September 11, 2012 - 01:19 PM.

#116 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 02:07 PM

Sun Yue was a scrub in my eyes. I only judge players based on how they play in the pros. Yue would kick my ass in a game of 21, and tear up most anyone that has never played college ball at a high level, but that doesn't mean he's not a scrub when we're discussing something like this.

It's similar to when people start talking about great players. I don't call anyone outside of the NBA great, and I don't call any non-all star great. In fact, a lot of all-stars don't get that praise from me (ex. Andrew Bynum is not a great player). The word is reserved for greatness.

With that noted, professional ball is reserved for high-level basketball players that exceed expectations on a college (or sometimes international) level. All of them have potential. Not all of them will become great, good, or even decent players.

I'm a guy that asks you what you've done, not guess at what you can do, unless you're coming into the league named LeBron James. Some players, you know they have the physical talents and the skillsets needed to become superstars (or at least all-stars). Morris doesn't have that.

But you tell me one point guard coming out of college after one year lately that is going to perform on par against Chris Paul in his very first NBA game. You won't find any.

Kyrie Irving had an all-star season his rookie year after playing just 11 total college basketball games at Duke. Of course, asking if anyone could come straight out of college and match up with CP3 is not fair, at all, because CP3 is the best PG in basketball. I didn't ask Darius Morris to do that. I didn't expect ANYTHING from him, actually, aside from second-round play...a guy that would not get any minutes over Fisher and Blake (significant minutes), and someone that would eventually land an 8th or 9th man role on the bench of a decent (at best, decent) team.

As far as his work ethic goes, everyone digs deep and works hard to get there...but once they are at that point, not all maintain it. Smush was one example. Eddy Curry another. If you watch football, you'll know that JaMarcus Russell worked his ass off to get to the NFL...and even did a little after arrival, but then proceeded to become the laziest player in NFL history. Hard work does not equal success. Winning equals success, and winning cures all. As much as adults tell their kids otherwise, hard work is nothing if you're not achieving something...and Darius Morris can work as hard as he pleases, but if he's not making it on this current platform, he has to consider it a failure. He can say he got to the pros, and brag about it over those that didn't...but deep in his gut, he knows he's just like every other player, from Smush to Jordan, that has been given the opportunity...and what defines him is how he capitalizes on it, not how hard he works in a failed attempt.

Finally...the "I want to be wrong" attitude is simply put out there because I want every single player on this team to be productive. What would have happened if Andrew Bynum gave us 20/15/5, and DPOY defense, for the past two seasons? We would have a better shot at two more championships, and Kobe at seven total...and a longer-lasting Bryant, with less of a load on his shoulders, which only extends our winning ways. Bynum put up all-star numbers, but he continued to ignore the most important aspects he needed to work on, including his work ethic, P&R defense, conditioning, arrogance, and post facilitating. He proved he could stay healthy for a single shortened NBA season...which meant little to nothing to me, because Greg Oden had a 61-game season a few years back.

Basically, I want people to remember the things I say here. I don't like to drop in and "half ass" my posts, and leave the door open for misinterpretation. I don't step out on a ledge and give the exact number of wins/losses for a team, but if you ask me how teams will do in each conference, I'll go as far as list #1-8 in order. I won't tell you how poorly our team will shoot as a whole, or the exact percent...but I'll predict, before a single game is played, how our players are going to react to an offense...and the struggles we will see for the duration of the season.

If Morris does nothing, most definitely, you will not see me bump topics. The only time you've seen me do that, in debates like this, are the Gerald Green topic...but that was only because it was being bumped only on games he played well in, and ignoring his bad games (which I finally cracked and decided to call people out for it). Other than that, predictions about a team's play (ex. like the "four out, one in" offense we ran) and possibly final standings...I will bump just so people can go back and read explanations as to why it happened (that I usually try and provide).

If people want to feel that way about our players (which I was expecting from the DJO draft/trade), it's whatever...but I find it very hard not to slip through the cracks and quote someone that says that Morris was a better defender than Blake (just an example) when there is absolutely no evidence supporting that...and all evidence against it. Potentially, sure...he can be, and so can DJO...doesn't matter. Just don't say Morris has provided anyone with anything that indicates he's a better offensive or defensive player than any other PG on this team OR among most in the NBA, for that matter...that's all I'm asking from people.

The same goes for Goudelock, also. Seven decent productive games does not equal an 82-game season against superior talent. The LeBron-less Cleveland Cavaliers laid into the defending East champs, the Boston Celtics, on opening night back in 2010, also...and then finished the season 19-63, because opposing teams pinpointed just how they would play, who to defend, and what to expect from them. The Lakers can win games with an injured Kobe, at least for a while...but once teams figure them out, Kobe becomes a necessity again. Goudelock gets big minutes here and there, people leave him open, and he looks decent...for a while. Same situation Gerald Green was in, and that's why he finished the season shooting poorly and not getting to the line.

It's been that way for years, and nothing will change it.

#117 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted September 11, 2012 - 02:25 PM

It's similar to when people start talking about great players. I don't call anyone outside of the NBA great, and I don't call any non-all star great. In fact, a lot of all-stars don't get that praise from me (ex. Andrew Bynum is not a great player). The word is reserved for greatness.

Oh no you didn't, Andrew Bynum is gonna be a All-time great center, you just wait, especially now that hes the man.

The Lakers never gave Andrew the chance to thrive, did you not watch last season?

Drew showed us what hes capable of contributing to a team given the chance. :glasses:

#118 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,140 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 03:16 PM

Agree with this wholeheartedly.

#119 Instigator

Instigator

Hall Of Fame

• 9,021 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 03:19 PM

Too much hype on goudelock

#120 LikeABosh

LikeABosh

Off The Bench