Photo

Derrick Rose To Begin 'Light' On-Court Activities Soon

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,528 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted August 25, 2012 - 02:36 PM

Posted Image

By Sam Amick>INSIDE THE NBA

For most NBA players, these are the quietest and most stress-free days on the calendar.

Some are squeezing in that one last vacation, while others are putting on their own personal training camp in a location of their choice (sunshine preferable) without the burden of their respective coaches looming over them. But for the unfortunate few who suffered injuries either last season or during the summer, the rehabilitation work that may very well determine the fate of their team's season is in full swing at the moment.

This is more than the typical lot, too, as some of the league's most relevant teams have their hopes hinging on the health of their respective stars (see Bulls, Lakers, Clippers) while the up-and-comer types (Golden State, Minnesota) are just a few setbacks away from returning to also-ran status. Their situations are, well, iffy. Here's a quick look at where those players and teams stand.

Bulls

As inspiring as Adidas' recent Derrick Rose-on-the-recovery commercial was, the fact remains that he's a long way from being back in action. Chicago Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said recently that Rose -- who he vows not to push in the recovery process -- could be back in January or perhaps even miss the entire season following an ACL tear in his left knee in the first game of the playoffs against Philadelphia. According to CSNChicago.com (which had a must-see interview with the former MVP) the Bulls plan to keep Rose's rehab going at least through the February All-Star break.

A source with knowledge of Rose's recovery said he's "coming along great" in what has been a five-days-per-week routine in Los Angeles. His upper body is stronger than ever before while he's slowly strengthening his lower body as well. Rose, the source said, is expected to take part in some light on-court activity soon for the first time since his May 12 surgery.

The silver lining here is that Rose is doing the sort of strength work and resistance training that he may never have done if he hadn't been hurt like this. The hope is that he comes back even stronger and with the area around his left knee reinforced in such a way that it helps prevent a reoccurrence.

Yet considering the dropoff in point guard talent that Bulls fans will have to endure while Rose is gone (the recently returned Kirk Hinrich, free-agent signee Nate Robinson and rookie draft pick Marquis Teague from Kentucky are the only replacements), it'd help their cause if Luol Deng and Joakim Noah are able to play at full strength.

Noah, the always underrated and overlooked center who missed the final three games of the first-round loss to the 76ers after spraining his left ankle in Game 2, is expected to be fully healthy by the time training camp arrives. The injury was bad enough that Noah decided not to play for his French national team in the Olympics, and a source close to him said he has yet to play in any five-on-five action. The focus has been on weightlifting, individual workouts on the court and steady rehabbing of the ankle, but SI.com has been assured he'll be 100 percent by early October.

Meanwhile, Deng -- the 27-year-old small forward who was an All-Star for the first time last season -- may not have surgery to repair the torn ligament in his left wrist (suffered on Jan. 21) after all. Deng, who put off the procedure to play for Great Britain in the Olympics, was quoted in the Aug. 6 edition of the Chicago Tribune saying he may avoid the doctor's office altogether.

"Did I look like I needed [surgery]?" Deng said after Britain downed China 90-58 in his team's Olympic finale. "I'm fine right now. I feel great. There are a lot of things I want to improve in my game that I want to focus on now. I want to be a better player than I was last year.

"I have time to make decisions and be healthy by the time we start [training camp]."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/08/23/dwight-howard-derrick-rose-nba-injuries/index.html?eref=writers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users