Doc Rivers: Only Center That Worries Me Is Bynum

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,329 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 09:16 PM

I am implying this: An unhappy player isn't a good thing. Bynum was held up his whole career. The last couple of years he displayed that with the hit on Barea and ripping his jersey off, etc. The dude wasn't happy with the role he had for a while. Phil benched him the end of the 4th quarters etc. It stemmed from a ways back, not just this last season. Thus my argument is solid...

Your argument doesn't exist. Your whole foundation is that the lakers traded a player who is better and was willing to sign an extension for a worse player who will test free agency

That's you asinine premise

And it's just that asinine
Posted Image

#22 lakerfandude

lakerfandude

Rookie

• 655 posts
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted August 19, 2012 - 09:30 PM

Yeah, Drew was that sick of Kobe shooting all game long. Didn't really do much to help Kobe out despite the team employing an offensive system that was made specifically to feature Drew as the focal point. We all saw how badly that flopped early in the season and how easily it was broken once the postseason came by. By the way, Kobe averaged 23 FGA per game, only two more shots per game than he had during our most recent championship runs. He was definitely in full chuck mode last season.

If Drew didn't like Kobe saying that to him he should have proven it with his play come the postseason, but we saw how terribly he performed once teams figured out the key to shutting him down.

They wanted Howard over Bynum because he's the better player. No matter how grand your delusions of Bynum as a superstar center are, he is not on Howard's level. Period. Mitch literally said that Howard was better than Bynum:

You can feel that way if you want to. All I know is that on the subject of this thread, Doc Rivers thinks Bynum is better than Howard. Doc is unbiased, he's had to play against Howard for years in the East. It's just a bit strange him saying that Bynum was the only center he was concerned about since he had gone up against both players. Howard in the East and Bynum in the finals. He knows them both well, and he just so happened to only mention Bynum that he feared. What do you say about that??

Edited by lakerfandude, August 19, 2012 - 09:30 PM.

#23 lakerfandude

lakerfandude

Rookie

• 655 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 09:31 PM

Your argument doesn't exist. Your whole foundation is that the lakers traded a player who is better and was willing to sign an extension for a worse player who will test free agency

That's you asinine premise

And it's just that asinine

I didn't start this thread, Doc Rivers did. Talk to him about it. He is not worried about Howard, only Bynum.

Edited by lakerfandude, August 19, 2012 - 09:34 PM.

• 40,556 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 09:35 PM

Listen, I believe Bynum IS better than Howard, but, (HUGE BUT) ONLY when completely locked in and motivated on both ends of the floor and unfortunately, that's just more often than not the case. So with that said, you have a player in Dwight, who is way more serious about his job on both ends of the court consistently and therefore although his ceiling (in my opinion) is not as high as Bynum's, the fact that he's at least willing to man up and work that hard on both ends almost all of the time in comparison instantly makes him better.

As far as Doc goes, he more than likely disregarded the facts that I stated above and only went off of what he saw when he went up against Bynum. Games that more than likely Bynum actually did try on boths ends of the court so of course he must've looked spectacular.

yo.

#25 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,329 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 09:51 PM

I didn't start this thread, Doc Rivers did. Talk to him about it. He is not worried about Howard, only Bynum.

Ya the celtics head coach, and faced the lakers twice in the NBA finals losing to the lakers most recently

Completely unbiased

Nice try, next excuse. Also stand up job backtracking, your making an attempt
Posted Image

#26 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,783 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted August 19, 2012 - 09:52 PM

He should stick to worrying about Jason Collins that foo is a waste of height

#27 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,329 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 09:55 PM

You can feel that way if you want to. All I know is that on the subject of this thread, Doc Rivers thinks Bynum is better than Howard. Doc is unbiased, he's had to play against Howard for years in the East. It's just a bit strange him saying that Bynum was the only center he was concerned about since he had gone up against both players. Howard in the East and Bynum in the finals. He knows them both well, and he just so happened to only mention Bynum that he feared. What do you say about that??

Great logic. So Houston who has to face Bynum 4 times a year and Howard twice a year wants Howard and not Bynum? Ok

Orlando who has Howard demanding a trade and has had Howard for years and faces Bynum twice a year in head to head matchups wants Bynum straight up for Howard? Oh wait no they don't.

As much as you want to ignore it Bynum fed off of Kobe and and that helped his efficiency. Bynum is not as good as Howard. Doc is not an unbiased party. Not even close.
Posted Image

#28 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 19, 2012 - 09:57 PM

Doc says that because Bynum plays motivated vs Boston...well more times vs them than any other opponent

Edited by MDI, August 19, 2012 - 09:58 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#29 lakerfandude

lakerfandude

Rookie

• 655 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 09:59 PM

Ya the celtics head coach, and faced the lakers twice in the NBA finals losing to the lakers most recently

Completely unbiased

Nice try, next excuse. Also stand up job backtracking, your making an attempt

If anybody should have a knowledgeable take on who's better, it should be a coach that has had to coach against both players through out his coaching career with the Celtics. Who better than Doc Rivers. He has had to deal with them both, one more so in the regular season, and the other in the finals. If you don't think he knows what he's talking about and that he's not a bright coach, then go after him. I just happen to agree with him.

You act like I am on an island and that I have no clue. You can say that about me, because I am just a huge Laker fan and basketball fan, just like you, but Rivers is an established elite NBA coach. If you don't agree with him fine, but maybe you should be going after him since his name was on this thread. If you are the expert and he's not, then take him to school with your expertise...

#30 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,329 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 10:02 PM

If anybody should have a knowledgeable take on who's better, it should be a coach that has had to coach against both players through out his coaching career with the Celtics. Who better than Doc Rivers. He has had to deal with them both, one more so in the regular season, and the other in the finals. If you don't think he knows what he's talking about and that he's not a bright coach, then go after him. I just happen to agree with him.

You act like I am on an island and that I have no clue. You can say that about me, because I am just a huge Laker fan and basketball fan, just like you, but Rivers is an established elite NBA coach. If you don't agree with him fine, but maybe you should be going after him since his name was on this thread. If you are the expert and he's not, then take him to school with your expertise...

Every coach in the NBA coaches against Bynum and Howard
Posted Image

#31 lakerfandude

lakerfandude

Rookie

• 655 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 10:03 PM

Great logic. So Houston who has to face Bynum 4 times a year and Howard twice a year wants Howard and not Bynum? Ok

Orlando who has Howard demanding a trade and has had Howard for years and faces Bynum twice a year in head to head matchups wants Bynum straight up for Howard? Oh wait no they don't.

As much as you want to ignore it Bynum fed off of Kobe and and that helped his efficiency. Bynum is not as good as Howard. Doc is not an unbiased party. Not even close.

He is unbiased. He has had to coach against both players and will have to again in the future. What does he have against Howard and what love does he have toward Bynum that he would say this?

#32 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,823 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 10:05 PM

listen, its not just us on this site, our own FO thinks dwight is a better fit here than drew

what are you trying to prove?

Edited by pkflyers, August 19, 2012 - 10:06 PM.

13z8pc6.jpg

#33 lakerfandude

lakerfandude

Rookie

• 655 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 10:06 PM

Every coach in the NBA coaches against Bynum and Howard

How many coaches have had to coach against Howard in the East in the regular season and Drew from the West in the finals?

I bet if he had said Howard is the only center that worries him, you would happily agree, but since he says it's Bynum, then people here think he's full of ish?

Edited by lakerfandude, August 19, 2012 - 10:08 PM.

#34 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,329 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 10:09 PM

How many coaches have had to coach against Howard in the East in the regular season and Drew from the West in the finals?

I bet if he had said Howard is the only center that worries him, you would happily agree, but since he says it's Bynum, then people here think he's full of ish?

No

I disagree with anyone who says Bynum is better than Howard

Just like I would disagree with anyone who said Marc gasol is better than Bynum
Posted Image

#35 lakerfandude

lakerfandude

Rookie

• 655 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 10:12 PM

listen, its not just us on this site, our own FO thinks dwight is a better fit here than drew

what are you trying to prove?

I'm not trying to prove anything. I didn't make Doc's quote for him, I just agree with him. I never wanted to trade for Dwight. I am a Laker fan and will root for him and hopes he brings us championships, but as of now, I think Drew is the better center. When a great coach validates my take, It makes me feel like I'm not so crazy as posters think I am and other Bynum fans are. We are not the only ones...

Edited by lakerfandude, August 19, 2012 - 10:13 PM.

#36 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted August 19, 2012 - 10:12 PM

He only has to worry about Bynum because no way in hell they get to the Finals. So i see what he is saying no need to worry about howard because we wont make it that far. :P
Posted Image

#37 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,329 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 10:14 PM

Every coach coaches against them both. It is completely irrelevant where and when they coach against them
Posted Image

#38 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 19, 2012 - 10:17 PM

Yeah, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that Andrew Bynum is now a member of the Philadelphia 76ers who are in the same division and will be challenging them for playoff seeding all season long. You know, only 4 out of 5 teams in that division will be right in the thick of the playoff race, no big deal. They'll see the Sixers 4 times next season and could meet them early in the postseason, of course he'd pay attention to Bynum. Why would he be worried about Dwight Howard when the Celtics will only face the Lakers twice all season long? Has he ever paid such a compliment to Bynum in the past prior to him joining the 76ers? Didn't think so.

Howard has been FAR more impressive h2h against the Celtics than Bynum has been. Be it in the playoffs or regular season against the Celtics, Dwight Howard has Bynum completely beat. As expected from the superior player.

#39 lakerfandude

lakerfandude

Rookie

• 655 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 10:20 PM

He only has to worry about Bynum because no way in hell they get to the Finals. So i see what he is saying no need to worry about howard because we wont make it that far. :P

He made this quote when Bynum was still a Laker and Howard was a Magic. And you are saying the Lakers aren't going to make it to the finals with Dwight?

#40 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,329 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 10:20 PM

I'm not trying to prove anything. I didn't make Doc's quote for him, I just agree with him. I never wanted to trade for Dwight. I am a Laker fan and will root for him and hopes he brings us championships, but as of now, I think Drew is the better center. When a great coach validates my take, It makes me feel like I'm not so crazy as posters think I am and other Bynum fans are. We are not the only ones...

And yet a great gm and several GMs validated the other point that Howard is the better player. In fact a recent poll of GMs showed that Howard is ahead of Lebron and Kobe in players coaches have to gameplan the most for

A list Bynum wasn't even on

But who wants to listen to those experts. Or the fact that when doc rivers plays Bynum he's playing a center who has the player that finished 5th on that list drawing attention away from him making his life easier.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users