#2 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted August 19, 2012 - 02:55 PM

He's right. The center position is awful nowadays. The only All Star caliber centers are Dwight and Drew. The rest are role players. Unless you count Garnett as a center than he's an All Star caliber player still.
htCCl0m.png

#3 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted August 19, 2012 - 03:29 PM

You guys underestimate Marc . Good defender rebounder and can shoot outside the paint. He is a second option but a great one like his brother pau.
Posted Image

• 40,431 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 04:32 PM

^ I would normally think more highly of him except for the fact that I felt like overall, he really came up short when it mattered most disappointing in large portions in that series against the Clippers. That dropped his stock a little to me.

yo.

#5 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted August 19, 2012 - 04:47 PM

I think the whole Memphis team dropped the ball in that series. Memphis could have won they just where not into the game it seemed.
Posted Image

• 40,431 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 04:50 PM

Memphis could have won they just where not into the game it seemed.

No offense, but I don't like that reasoning. That's like basically saying they weren't really trying and thus taking away credit from the Clippers. I just think they were outworked, outhustled, outsmarted, & outwilled when it was all said & done. Plus a nice dosage of choking here & there.

yo.

#7 lakerfandude

lakerfandude

Rookie

• 655 posts
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted August 19, 2012 - 06:26 PM

He's right. The center position is awful nowadays. The only All Star caliber centers are Dwight and Drew. The rest are role players. Unless you count Garnett as a center than he's an All Star caliber player still.

Yes, maybe, but he didn't say that Howard worried him, just Bynum. He's the only center that he is concerned about. That's not just because Bynum is in the East either, he said that when Bynum was still in the West and Howard was still in the East. That's a pretty big complement for Bynum. Doc is saying he thinks Drew is the best center..

Edited by lakerfandude, August 19, 2012 - 06:29 PM.

• 40,431 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 06:32 PM

^ Yeah, not sure how serious of problems Dwight's given the Celtics in the past, but I know Drew certainly has so it doesn't exactly surprise me for him to say this.

yo.

#9 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,203 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 06:32 PM

Yes, maybe, but he didn't say that Howard worried him, just Bynum. He's the only center that he is concerned about. That's not just because Bynum is in the East either, he said that when Bynum was still in the West and Howard was still in the East. That's a pretty big complement for Bynum. Doc is saying he thinks Drew is the best center..

And yet the lakers think otherwise. Pretty big detriment to bynum
Posted Image

• 40,431 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 06:33 PM

^ Apparently Doc doesn't know about Drew's attitude issues and lack of worth ethic/passion, especially on the defensive end consistently.

yo.

#11 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,203 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 06:41 PM

There is just no point in arguing Andrew Bynum vs. Howard

If Bynum was the best center the lakers wouldn't have traded him for Howard, and the magic would have asked for Bynum

Neither of which happened. Argument Over
Posted Image

#12 lakerfandude

lakerfandude

Rookie

• 655 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 08:16 PM

There is just no point in arguing Andrew Bynum vs. Howard

If Bynum was the best center the lakers wouldn't have traded him for Howard, and the magic would have asked for Bynum

Neither of which happened. Argument Over

They knew Bynum wasn't going to re sign. The Lakers made the only move they could, they feel that Dwight will. And Orlando?, they just whiffed on this one. Besides, you act like the "arguments over" as if teams including the Lakers have never made bad trades before. They knew Drew wanted his own team and didn't want to "fall in line" behind Kobe's 25 shot attempts per night anymore, and since Kobe had a no trade clause, they had no choice.

In other news, this from twitter:

Sixers are preparing a multi-year extension for Andrew Bynum that would make him 1 of the highest paid players in NBA. 20 Million a yr range.
https://twitter.com/JeffSkversky

Edited by lakerfandude, August 19, 2012 - 08:18 PM.

#13 lakerfandude

lakerfandude

Rookie

• 655 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 08:19 PM

Sixers are preparing a multi-year extension for Andrew Bynum that would make him 1 of the highest paid players in NBA. 20 Million a yr range.

#14 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,203 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 08:33 PM

They knew Bynum wasn't going to re sign. The Lakers made the only move they could, they feel that Dwight will. And Orlando?, they just whiffed on this one. Besides, you act like the "arguments over" as if teams including the Lakers have never made bad trades before. They knew Drew wanted his own team and didn't want to "fall in line" behind Kobe's 25 shot attempts per night anymore, and since Kobe had a no trade clause, they had no choice.

In other news, this from twitter:

So the lakers made the trade thinking Andrew wouldn't resign, despite Andrew saying he would be open to resigning with the lakers.

Nice try, on to the next excuse

The lakers had Bynum and wanted Howard. That is the end game right there
Posted Image

#15 lakerfandude

lakerfandude

Rookie

• 655 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 08:48 PM

So the lakers made the trade thinking Andrew wouldn't resign, despite Andrew saying he would be open to resigning with the lakers.

Nice try, on to the next excuse

The lakers had Bynum and wanted Howard. That is the end game right there

No it isn't. Everybody knew that Drew was tired of watching Kobe shoot so much. Before the season started he said he wanted to be more of scorer and wanted a bigger role. Kobe responded by telling him to fall in line behind him and Gasol. Drew didn't like that, and it showed during the season when he got restless watching Kobe try to do everything. He sat out of some huddles, he shot a couple of threes, he didn't hustle all the time. etc.

The Lakers front office knew it would be the same this year, because Kobe wasn't going anywhere, no trade clause,, so someone had to go. You can't say that they wanted Howard over Bynum because he is better, but you can say that they felt Bynum wasn't happy, and that they had to do something. That's my take on it at least. There were alot of moments last year that displayed Bynums frustrations. The Lakers knew it wasn't a good situation, thus the trade... That's my take on the whole situation. Who knows for sure though?

#16 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,814 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 08:51 PM

No it isn't. Everybody knew that Drew was tired of watching Kobe shoot so much. Before the season started he said he wanted to be more of scorer and wanted a bigger role. Kobe responded by telling him to fall in line behind him and Gasol. Drew didn't like that, and it showed during the season when he got restless watching Kobe try to do everything. He sat out of some huddles, he shot a couple of threes, he didn't hustle all the time. etc.

The Lakers front office knew it would be the same this year, because Kobe wasn't going anywhere, no trade clause,, so someone had to go. You can't say that they wanted Howard over Bynum because he is better, but you can say that they felt Bynum wasn't happy, and that they had to do something. That's my take on it at least. There were alot of moments last year that displayed Bynums frustrations. The Lakers knew it wasn't a good situation, thus the trade... That's my take on the whole situation. Who knows for sure though?

if that were the case then the lakers would have traded drew regardless if dwight was available, which i doubt they would have done

13z8pc6.jpg

#17 lakerfandude

lakerfandude

Rookie

• 655 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 09:00 PM

if that were the case then the lakers would have traded drew regardless if dwight was available, which i doubt they would have done

If they couldn't get Dwight, they probably would have waited till the trade deadline to see how things worked out, to see if things changed, with Nash, etc... Once they knew they could get Dwight, they didn't have to take that chance. All I'm saying is that we don't know the Lakers traded for Howard because they thought he was better, Bynum had alot of issues this season because he didn't like his role. If Drew goes to Philly and dominates, does that make the Lakers choice right?

Edited by lakerfandude, August 19, 2012 - 09:02 PM.

#18 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,203 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 09:05 PM

I can say they wanted Howard because he's better. They explored trading for him BEFORE last season even started(oops there goes your whole argument), they explored trading for him at the deadline(oops before Bynum started acting up again there goes the argument), and they tried for 3 months to get him again this offseason

A lot of work to trade the best center in Bynum for the 2nd best in Howard. Unless the lakers thought Bynum wasn't the best

Oops there goes your argument again.

Unless your implying that Mitch and co are psychics who saw a future in which Bynum would sulk from Kobe shooting. But I'm sure your not implying that. Though it may not be that far of a stretch considering the fantasy you tried to sell me above
Posted Image

#19 lakerfandude

lakerfandude

Rookie

• 655 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 09:13 PM

I can say they wanted Howard because he's better. They explored trading for him BEFORE last season even started(oops there goes your whole argument), they explored trading for him at the deadline(oops before Bynum started acting up again there goes the argument), and they tried for 3 months to get him again this offseason

A lot of work to trade the best center in Bynum for the 2nd best in Howard. Unless the lakers thought Bynum wasn't the best

Oops there goes your argument again.

Unless your implying that Mitch and co are psychics who saw a future in which Bynum would sulk from Kobe shooting. But I'm sure your not implying that. Though it may not be that far of a stretch considering the fantasy you tried to sell me above

I am implying this: An unhappy player isn't a good thing. Bynum was held up his whole career. The last couple of years he displayed that with his antics the prior season incl. the hit on Barea and ripping his jersey off, etc. The dude wasn't happy with the role he had for a while. Phil benched him the end of the 4th quarters etc. It stemmed from a ways back, not just this last season. Thus my argument is solid...

P.S. It goes back to the days when Kobe was asking to ship his ass out for Jason Kidd.... It's not a new thing. Bynum had a distaste for Kobe since then and probably earlier...

Edited by lakerfandude, August 19, 2012 - 09:20 PM.

#20 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,819 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 19, 2012 - 09:15 PM

Yeah, Drew was that sick of Kobe shooting all game long. Didn't really do much to help Kobe out despite the team employing an offensive system that was made specifically to feature Drew as the focal point. We all saw how badly that flopped early in the season and how easily it was broken once the postseason came by. By the way, Kobe averaged 23 FGA per game, only two more shots per game than he had during our most recent championship runs. He was definitely in full chuck mode last season.

If Drew didn't like Kobe saying that to him he should have proven it with his play come the postseason, but we saw how terribly he performed once teams figured out the key to shutting him down.

They wanted Howard over Bynum because he's the better player. No matter how grand your delusions of Bynum as a superstar center are, he is not on Howard's level. Period. Mitch literally said that Howard was better than Bynum:

So then why go through all these months of trouble to trade the second-best center in the league for the best?

“You answered your own question,” said Kupchak. “We got the best.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users