Photo

Will Dwight Howard win DPOY this season?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 ILLWiLL20

ILLWiLL20

Chick and Stu

• 5,071 posts
  • Name:WILL.I.AM
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Mamba

Posted August 18, 2012 - 10:49 AM

I think if Andrew Bynum channels in that triple double game he had last playoffs with 10 blocks more often than normal in a Philly ,
he has a chance to steal a few from Dwight.

Highly doubtful but who knows.
Posted Image

#22 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,047 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 18, 2012 - 11:02 AM

Wow the Lakers have only had one DPOY, Michael Cooper in the 86-87 season...

#23 ILLWiLL20

ILLWiLL20

Chick and Stu

• 5,071 posts

Posted August 18, 2012 - 11:04 AM

Wow the Lakers have only had one DPOY, Michael Cooper in the 86-87 season...

I think the NBA's Front Office are hesitant on rewarding the Lakers any awards.

Insane how Mitch has never won an Executive of the Year award during his tenure as GM for the Lakers.

Even more insane that Phil Jackson hasn't won a single Coach of the Year award during his tenure as the head Lakers coach.

Hate be hard.
Posted Image

#24 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,047 posts

Posted August 18, 2012 - 11:35 AM

I think the NBA's Front Office are hesitant on rewarding the Lakers any awards.

Insane how Mitch has never won an Executive of the Year award during his tenure as GM for the Lakers.

Even more insane that Phil Jackson hasn't won a single Coach of the Year award during his tenure as the head Lakers coach.

Hate be hard.

Phil Jackson should have been coach of the year in 1999-00. But after that his teams have done just above average but not oustanding in the regular season and well in the playoffs. Of course he has all the rings to show what a good coach he is when it matters.

Mitch has made some good moves, but Ainge deserved it over him in 2008. I guess Mitch should have gotten it in 04 with Malone and Payton, but honestly this has been his biggest summer. Before that he's just done the little things, but of course those have helped LA win rings.

#25 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,488 posts

Posted August 18, 2012 - 12:06 PM

Will have to do alot with our record. If OKC has the best record, I wouldn't be surprised if Ibaka gets the votes, even though he's not a great defender outside of his shot-blocking abilities. If Lakers get the best record, Howard for sure really. And Lebron's name will be glooming amongst the candidates aswell if Miami gets the best season record.

If Dwight is healthy his numbers will be so statistically superior to everyone else's on the defensive side of the ball
Posted Image

#26 LikeABosh

LikeABosh

Off The Bench

• 2,537 posts
  • Fan Since:Kobe/Fisher
  • Fav. Laker:Fisher

Posted August 18, 2012 - 12:58 PM

him and Artest will both be going for it.

I'll be happy if Artest even gets a vote lol

#27 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,967 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 18, 2012 - 02:26 PM

I'll be happy if Artest even gets a vote lol

If he plays well enough to get consideration along with Dwight we'll have two players that are on the map for DPOY, know how dangerous that makes us?

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#28 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted August 18, 2012 - 02:31 PM

know how dangerous that makes us?

Oh, I can imagine. :D

When does the season start again?

#29 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,967 posts

Posted August 18, 2012 - 02:56 PM

Oh, I can imagine. :D

When does the season start again?

October 7th for pre-season. October 30th for regular season.

Sept. 29 training camp begins.

It's august 18th now.

#30 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts

Posted August 18, 2012 - 03:21 PM

October 7th for pre-season. October 30th for regular season.

Sept. 29 training camp begins.

It's august 18th now.

Thanks man, I'm really feeling impatient I don't know about you guys.

#31 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,967 posts

Posted August 18, 2012 - 03:30 PM

Thanks man, I'm really feeling impatient I don't know about you guys.

I am too, but I'll spend my time training, going to workout or play basketball, playing NBA 2k12 or hanging on the forum :P or grad school X_X but I don't like that part :laughing:

Edited by Majesty, August 18, 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#32 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted August 18, 2012 - 03:34 PM

I think he's pretty much a lock for DPOY if healthy. There is no one better than Howard on the defensive end. I think people forgot just how good of a player he is due to his injury + the Dwightmare.

We are going to see some suffocating interior defense from Howard. It's going to be awesome.

#33 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,967 posts

Posted August 18, 2012 - 03:40 PM

I think he's pretty much a lock for DPOY if healthy. There is no one better than Howard on the defensive end. I think people forgot just how good of a player he is due to his injury + the Dwightmare.

We are going to see some suffocating interior defense from Howard. It's going to be awesome.

I'll just be happy watching LeBron and Durant forced into tough jump shots.

It's actually THE BEST CASE SCENARIO that we have Dwight and MWP going for DPOY this year.

Because thw two biggest threats in terms of the other two teams OKC and Miami. Are LeBron and Durant. If MWP has a DPOY mentality they will have a very rough time scoring on him, and when they get past him if they do, Dwight is there to stop the finish at the rim. It will be beautiful.

We have a beautiful 1-2 defensive punch in Artest and Howard.

#34 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts

Posted August 18, 2012 - 06:33 PM

Power suddenly went out in the house while I was puttin' in work doing trades in association, had a pretty good squad for the Lakes when all of the sudden *BAM* power goes out for a sec then comes back on.

I didn't even get to save.... :'(

#35 Lagunero

Lagunero

☑ Nash ☑ Howard - Win Championship ☐

• 1,617 posts
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe, Kareem, Shaq.

Posted August 18, 2012 - 06:39 PM

i think if he stays healthy he has a great chance of winning dpoy. Howard is a beast at defense.

Posted Image

#36 ILLWiLL20

ILLWiLL20

Chick and Stu

• 5,071 posts

Posted August 18, 2012 - 06:44 PM

It's going to give MWP new life as well.
Even though his intensity and demeanor on the defensive end is still at a ultimate high his legs due to father time
doesn't always let him stay in front with the Durants and Lebrons of the league.
With Dwight all Metta has to do is continue pestering all these elite 2's and 3's to the rim protected by a certified Beast.
When Drew was engage he filled in that void . But that's the thing when he was engage.
It's awesome that we know that Dwight brings it every play :D

Now if only Kobe can ressurect himself on thendefensive end it would be just too damn much for teams to handle. :yes:
Posted Image

#37 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,344 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted August 18, 2012 - 07:07 PM

If He stays healthy for sure. I mean he basically the Orlando Magic teams to be in the top 5 defensive category's over the last several years.

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#38 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted August 18, 2012 - 07:11 PM

It's going to give MWP new life as well.
Even though his intensity and demeanor on the defensive end is still at a ultimate high his legs due to father time
doesn't always let him stay in front with the Durants and Lebrons of the league.
With Dwight all Metta has to do is continue pestering all these elite 2's and 3's to the rim protected by a certified Beast.
When Drew was engage he filled in that void . But that's the thing when he was engage.
It's awesome that we know that Dwight brings it every play :D

Now if only Kobe can ressurect himself on thendefensive end it would be just too damn much for teams to handle. :yes:

Yep, Dwight should have the most impressive year defensively he's ever had with the players on this team. He's played alongside some of the worst defenders in the league through his tenure in ORL, I'm anxious to see how we look with him here. Neither Kobe nor Ron are elite defenders like they were in their prime, but they're still among the smartest on the defensive end when it comes to playing angles and such. Knowing that Dwight Howard is ready to provide elite help defense and cover the paint is a massive improvement over Andrew Bynum who could not be relied upon. As long as Ron doesn't come into the season at 250+ (235 would be great), he should look much better on the defensive end than he did to start last year. We'll need quickness on the perimeter from the two of them to cut off driving angles and lessen the defensive burden on Howard.

Nash is a pretty awful defender, but with Howard on board I'm not worried about his deficiencies at all. One-on-one defense at the PG position is overrated, a great defensive anchor and/or great help defense can cover our problems there. Pau isn't a great defender, but his length alone will be very useful to us with Howard ready to provide help if needed be. Our defense should be elite, wouldn't be surprised if we end up top 3 in the league with Howard aboard.

It's pretty amazing how well this team fits together on paper. I had always thought that Nash/Howard would be a great combo, but I never dreamed that they'd team up on the Lakers. Can't wait to see this team in action 3 months from now, I can't think of the last time I was so excited for the upcoming season.

#39 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,047 posts

Posted August 18, 2012 - 07:31 PM

It will be fun watching the Lakers zone LeBron out of the paint (they will do this if they are smart), and him pulling the same [expletive] he did against Dallas in 2011, except probably not as bad but still. Especially if it's in the finals, the media will go off about it and I might actually enjoy watching ESPN again.

• 40,603 posts

Posted August 18, 2012 - 07:33 PM

I think if Andrew Bynum channels in that triple double game he had last playoffs with 10 blocks more often than normal in a Philly ,
he has a chance to steal a few from Dwight.

Highly doubtful but who knows.

He more than likely won't though just for the fact that he's not willing to work that hard on that end of the floor consistently enough.

yo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users