#1 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 11:03 AM

Hey all,

How Exactly Was Dwight Howard Traded?
http://www.hoopsworl...-howard-traded/

It’s not exactly a simple answer – a look at the math. The Magic basically traded Dwight for Nikola Vucevic, generating a $17.8 mil trade exception. How exactly did that happen?

Also – Lakers got a small TPE as well . . .

Thanks

Eric
Check me at at the LA Times at BasketballInsiders.com and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/EricPincus

#2 GenkiSushi

GenkiSushi

Rookie

• 775 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 11:11 AM

So that explained why Orl GM pulled the trigger, at least from my perception. That's a big TPE, so there's the cap space they were yearning for. Thanks for the short yet good detailed article on the trade.

#3 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,624 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted August 15, 2012 - 02:52 PM

They have allot of possiblitltis from the FA aspect but That would have been more effective in the 2014 FA period cuz of all the big name players becoming FA's. I still think they will only be able to get decent players but having to over pay them to get them. Its hard to get good FA's when you have no super star.

#4 kazushige0001

kazushige0001

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Big Game James

Posted August 17, 2012 - 05:24 AM

I was thinking about this subject this morning. It has been my belief since the trade went down that the Magic's grade on this transaction is "TBD." It seems that if they want to repeat the Thunder's success they need financial flexibility and some favorable ping pong ball bounces over the next few years. This article and the TPE they acquired seems to confirm my belief. The idea of getting equal value for Dwight seems like a mute point. Even if they got a clone of Dwight (literally) they would still be seen as a second round exit at best. Rebuilding was the best option. The Thunder are the prototype for smaller markets. The idea of surrounding "lottery" talent with like talent over a few years (e.g. Durant, Westbrook and Harden) and making sure they want to play with each other is key to keeping pieces. A "Dwight or Lebron" surrounded by mediocre talent has not paid off.

#5 Roidz

Roidz

Rookie

• 1,249 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:KB, L.O., Dwight, Glen Rice

Posted August 17, 2012 - 12:25 PM

Wonder what Orlando will do with that huge TPE??

"What I'm doing right now, I'm chasing perfection." -Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted Image

#6 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 01:16 PM

look to broker deals - take on salary with a pick to help a team get under tax - help a 3-way happen where they get draft considerations, young piece, etc.
Check me at at the LA Times at BasketballInsiders.com and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/EricPincus

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users