Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,454 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 11, 2012 - 02:15 AM

What if Kareem works with Dwight... :blink:

Think about that for a minute

Edited by Majesty, August 11, 2012 - 02:16 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#82 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,199 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted August 11, 2012 - 03:08 AM

ehh kinda different styles. But would help would footwork allot and his hook.

#83 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,037 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 11, 2012 - 06:24 AM

LeBron averaged 39% shooting against Howard last season. I'm going to love having a legit defensive anchor on this team :rock:

#84 J-H!zZl3

J-H!zZl3

New season, same goal.

• 13,773 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Worthy, Kareem, Kobe

Posted August 11, 2012 - 06:41 AM

Bryant spoke with Howard on Friday and reminded him of the Lakers tradition of outstanding centers.

"I'm only going to play two or maybe three more years," Bryant said. "After that the team is his. I'm excited because they have a guy who can carry the franchise after I'm gone."

Bryant heard the rumors but discounted them because Howard has been traded somewhere every day, according to rumor.

"But when I heard about it, I went from excitement to execution," he said.

"He'll get more touches for us than he did in Orlando, which sounds weird, but it's true. He'll have better players around him."

Kevin Durant and others told him earlier that the Lakers wouldn't be able to get Howard without giving up Pau Gasol.

OC Register

Kobe probably let Dwight know that everything will be fine as far the offense goes and Dwight would be a focal point.

Also, silly Durant. Posted Image

Posted Image

#85 IllWill

IllWill

Rookie

• 620 posts
  • Name:IllWill
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Nick the Quick

Posted August 11, 2012 - 07:06 AM

Id only let Kareem work with him after he inkd that long term deal lol

#86 KarlCalaguas12

KarlCalaguas12

Off The Bench

• 2,080 posts
  • Name:Karl
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted August 11, 2012 - 06:50 PM

OC Register

Kobe probably let Dwight know that everything will be fine as far the offense goes and Dwight would be a focal point.

Also, silly Durant. Posted Image

Kevin Durant and the rest of the NBA was put on notice by the Los Angeles Lakers. They better be scared now :rock:

#87 eZZy

eZZy

Off The Bench

• 1,690 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 06:54 PM

Two days in, and I still can't believe we have DWIGHT HOWARD! hahahhaha

#88 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,285 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 11, 2012 - 06:56 PM

Me too Ezzy.

I find myself checking back just to make sure it has happened. I've watched Dwight's press conference about 5 times now.

Steve Nash and Dwight Howard were honestly my two favorite NBA guys (outside of the Lakers) on and off the court. Now they wear the purple and gold.

Simply incredible!

#89 eZZy

eZZy

Off The Bench

• 1,690 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 07:00 PM

Me too Ezzy.

I find myself checking back just to make sure it has happened. I've watched Dwight's press conference about 5 times now.

Steve Nash and Dwight Howard were honestly my two favorite NBA guys (outside of the Lakers) on and off the court. Now they wear the purple and gold.

Simply incredible!

AHAHAHA! SAME HERE! I watch the conference like 3 times already and a lot of Dwight Highlights! hahaha
It is SIMPLY INCREDIBLE TO SAY THE LEAST! :rock:

#90 underworldmike

underworldmike

Rodmanator

• 1,493 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Fan Since:Since i was born
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman and Kobe Bryant

Posted August 11, 2012 - 09:24 PM

Id only let Kareem work with him after he inkd that long term deal lol

Posted Image

#91 alec613

alec613

Off The Bench

• 1,439 posts
  • Fan Since:Can't remember
  • Fav. Laker:Adam Morrison

Posted August 11, 2012 - 09:43 PM

Surprisingly, I wasn't that excited when we landed Dwight.
Thought, I'd be like "WTF!" like, when Steve Nash, out of nowhere, became a Laker.
Think the only time I got excited was when Rudolph tweeted that Howard would be willing to sign long term in LA

I did have a smile on my face though when I saw Dwight talking at the press conference

TEAM TANK

TEAMtANK.png

#92 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,802 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 12, 2012 - 01:13 AM

I still go to the Dwight Howard thread and refresh the title just to make sure it hasn't changed...then I check ESPN to make sure we haven't been "Basketball Reasons" again.

Amazingly, most people I speak to think the Lakers aren't much better by sending Bynum out and getting Dwight?

#93 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,454 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 03:16 AM

I still go to the Dwight Howard thread and refresh the title just to make sure it hasn't changed...then I check ESPN to make sure we haven't been "Basketball Reasons" again.

Amazingly, most people I speak to think the Lakers aren't much better by sending Bynum out and getting Dwight?

offensively no.

Defensive consistency will lead to more easy buckets though. Bynum would have eventually learned that stuff or committed to it(we hoped) but Dwight was already there.

So it may not look like much of an upgrade but Dwight's defense and PnR defense against other guards on a consistent basis will learn to more offensive opportunities for us and help some of our weaknesses against quick guards. While his PnR playstyle will benefit immensely from Nash as the point guard.

#94 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,199 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted August 12, 2012 - 03:28 AM

offensively no.

Defensive consistency will lead to more easy buckets though. Bynum would have eventually learned that stuff or committed to it(we hoped) but Dwight was already there.

So it may not look like much of an upgrade but Dwight's defense and PnR defense against other guards on a consistent basis will learn to more offensive opportunities for us and help some of our weaknesses against quick guards. While his PnR playstyle will benefit immensely from Nash as the point guard.

I think bynum could have too but hell we got the for sure thing and we no longer have to worry about bynums knees. Id take howards back over bynums knees any day.

#95 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,536 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted August 12, 2012 - 08:20 AM

offensively no.

We are better offensively too. We just paired up the best PnR point guard with the best PnR big man.

#96 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted August 12, 2012 - 08:25 AM

offensively no.

Actually we're much better offensively. Dwight is a terrific pick and roll big. Probably the best in the league. Him amd Nash are a match made in heaven for each other. Bynum isn't really a good fit with Nash.
htCCl0m.png

#97 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,037 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted August 12, 2012 - 09:39 AM

Offensively we are better because Howard is a better fit for the Princeton and his mobility creates more opportunities for Pau in the high and low post. I know Howard wasn't scoring 40 pgg, but remember the defenses were concentrated on stopping him. Now you have to pick your poison, and if they choose to cover Howard with just one guy, he'll do what he did to GSW, when he dropped like 40 points and 15-20 rebounds or something.

#98 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,819 posts
  • Name:Shamim

Posted August 12, 2012 - 03:54 PM

Yeah, I've seen a ton of people on the web saying how the Lakers won' t be much different and that Dwight is only slightly better than Bynum. They have no clue what they're talking about. I always see the same argument brought up regarding their numbers and FGA and I just laugh. It's so bad how misinformed people are about the two of them, Bynum is nowhere near Dwight Howard. Guess they didn't focus enough on what each individual brings to the team.

Dwight is every bit as good offensively as Andrew Bynum and much more effective. Too many people are disillusioned by the fact that Bynum is a smoother offensive player than Dwight Howard, that the fact that his offensive game looks slightly more polished means that he's better on offense. He's not. All he has on Dwight is nicer footwork and a few more post moves, that's it. I'll take Dwight's post seal and sky-high dunk percentage over Bynum's baby hooks any day. Dwight's ability as one of the best P&R bigs in the entire league is huge for us offensively because it opens up the floor for everyone. Very different from Bynum who we'd have to feed down low and compromise our entire offense to feature as a focal point. He's a back-to-the-basket possession eater, exactly the opposite of what we'd need alongside the likes of Nash.

Dwight is better at sealing and gaining interior position, a better passer out of the post, mobile enough to play high low, he can put the ball on the floor and get closer if he's been pushed out of his comfort zone, and he's much quicker in the low block when it comes to finishing off a post entry feed. He's a picture perfect fit for our current squad, we should thrive offensively.

#99 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,454 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 04:01 PM

Yeah, I've seen a ton of people on the web saying how the Lakers won' t be much different and that Dwight is only slightly better than Bynum. They have no clue what they're talking about. I always see the same argument brought up regarding their numbers and FGA and I just laugh. It's so bad how misinformed people are about the two of them, Bynum is nowhere near Dwight Howard. Guess they didn't focus enough on what each individual brings to the team.

Dwight is every bit as good offensively as Andrew Bynum and much more effective. Too many people are disillusioned by the fact that Bynum is a smoother offensive player than Dwight Howard, that the fact that his offensive game looks slightly more polished means that he's better on offense. He's not. All he has on Dwight is nicer footwork and a few more post moves, that's it. I'll take Dwight's post seal and sky-high dunk percentage over Bynum's baby hooks any day. Dwight's ability as one of the best P&R bigs in the entire league is huge for us offensively because it opens up the floor for everyone. Very different from Bynum who we'd have to feed down low and compromise our entire offense to feature as a focal point. He's a back-to-the-basket possession eater, exactly the opposite of what we'd need alongside the likes of Nash.

Dwight is better at sealing and gaining interior position, a better passer out of the post, mobile enough to play high low, he can put the ball on the floor and get closer if he's been pushed out of his comfort zone, and he's much quicker in the low block when it comes to finishing off a post entry feed. He's a picture perfect fit for our current squad, we should thrive offensively.

There's things Bynum can do offensively better than Dwight can do. But it's the Pick and Roll ability, and versatility where he's already at in terms of understanding it that puts him ahead, because he knows it while that is what Bynum is still learning.

Dwight's proficiency at pick and roll is a major factor because it opens up more opportunities for us to score, and the fact he can already pass out of double teams and deal with that type of pressure in the interior also gives us more opportunities to score as well.

There's no doubt in my mind bynum will get there, but Howard is already there, and being there gives us many more options and opportunities offensively than prior. His numbers may not differ much from Bynum statistically, but the entire team will benefit. That's why I said by himself offensively(by stats) he wouldn't bring much more than Bynum, but his ability to play off the PnR and create more opportunities under pressure is what WILL help us offensively more than Bynum could at this point and a difference will be noticed.

Edited by Majesty, August 12, 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#100 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,819 posts
  • Name:Shamim

Posted August 12, 2012 - 04:23 PM

There's not much Bynum can do better to be honest. As RD's mentioned in the past, all Bynum has is one or two more post moves, better footwork, and a nicer hook shot. I agree with that, I haven't been blown out of the water by Bynum's offensive game at all. It's about as mechanical as it gets. He's never had a low-post arsenal like a McHale or Olajuwon, and we all know how ineffective he is out of the high post. I don't think Bynum will ever become the superstar big man some Lakers fans thought he would become, I've never thought that for a second since he was drafted.

Dwight can give us 20 a night without having any set plays run for him, that's the big difference. Bynum was a possession eater like Shaq minus the court awareness, passing ability, and sheer dominance. Employing the 4-out-1-in to feature Bynum as a focal point this year was more of a negative than a positive for us, and that showed itself to be true come the postseason where he was exposed in the 2nd half of many games.

We could literally just run simple pick-and-roll at the top of the key with Nash, a big-to-big combination with Gasol, or just watch him clean up the offensive boards and see Dwight get 20 a night. Bynum can't do that on a nightly basis. Having an active off-ball big man is huge for the Lakers, especially with facilitator in Nash, Kobe and Gasol alongside him. Can't teach pure basketball instinct, and Dwight's ability to play off ball as a finisher is among the best in the entire league.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users