264 replies to this topic

#181 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 05, 2012 - 12:23 AM

K-Mart is a better player than Sacre...it's not close right now. I know he would cost more money (vet's minimum, and it would be doubled), and I'm not saying we should sign him...but he's a better player. His defense is what truly separates him, and in a P&R with Nash, he's more of a threat than Sacre.

Now, if LA were to actually go this route (and they more than likely won't, unless it's out of desperation), they would move Jordan Hill to the five, and Martin would back up Gasol at the four. Jamison would play a bit more three, against teams that are less offensively-talented there (you don't want Jamison defending LeBron). By the numbers (the only way we can judge K-Mart today), his defense, last season, was better than it has been since the 2004-05 season...and nearly matched his career average defensive rating.

Martin isn't hot on the market simply because of his injuries + age, and the fact that his offensive production dipped heavily as a Clipper. Under VDN, he was asked to take a few more jumpshots, to keep the paint empty for CP3 and Griffin, to not operate out of the P&R...and that was a mistake (and VDN is known for his mistakes). K-Mart wouldn't get many touches here, but he wouldn't be as inefficient, either.

If we could swap Martin for Sacre, contract swap (which is impossible), I would do it. All things considered, though, it would be best to go after someone like Pietrus.

#182 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 5,006 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted November 05, 2012 - 01:22 AM

K-Mart is a better player than Sacre...it's not close right now. I know he would cost more money (vet's minimum, and it would be doubled), and I'm not saying we should sign him...but he's a better player. His defense is what truly separates him, and in a P&R with Nash, he's more of a threat than Sacre.

Now, if LA were to actually go this route (and they more than likely won't, unless it's out of desperation), they would move Jordan Hill to the five, and Martin would back up Gasol at the four. Jamison would play a bit more three, against teams that are less offensively-talented there (you don't want Jamison defending LeBron). By the numbers (the only way we can judge K-Mart today), his defense, last season, was better than it has been since the 2004-05 season...and nearly matched his career average defensive rating.

Martin isn't hot on the market simply because of his injuries + age, and the fact that his offensive production dipped heavily as a Clipper. Under VDN, he was asked to take a few more jumpshots, to keep the paint empty for CP3 and Griffin, to not operate out of the P&R...and that was a mistake (and VDN is known for his mistakes). K-Mart wouldn't get many touches here, but he wouldn't be as inefficient, either.

If we could swap Martin for Sacre, contract swap (which is impossible), I would do it. All things considered, though, it would be best to go after someone like Pietrus.

He is better than Sacre and would be a nice fit next to Pau, but we would be too crowded up front. He would have to be the fifth big coming off the bench, which we dont really need with 4 quality bigs. Also, i'm not sure Martin would like being the 5th guy off the bench. Another point is that if we did sign him he would push Jamison to the 3, which isn't exactly ideal either.
Regarding Pietrus. If we can get him for the minimum + rest of MLE, it would be nice. But signing him would almost certainly mean that Meeks is out.

IMO we should just play our back-ups at their natural positions (Meeks at 2, Ebanks at 3, Jamison at 4 and Hill at 5) and give them some consistent minutes and then re-evaluate our needs in a few months.

#183 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,969 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 05, 2012 - 01:30 AM

Fido is right. We would be paying more for a player who will cause problems and probably wont play much. Why bother. Never understood the notion of spending more to make our 14th or 5th man better. Because while we have hill Kmart would be 3rd string. He would play as much as sacre and you can tell already he aint playing much this season. Sacre is great cuz hes cheap doesnt expect much, has a good attitude, and will work hard even if not played much. Kmart is the complete opposite.

#184 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,275 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted November 05, 2012 - 01:43 AM

Our bench should be
Blake
Meeks
Jamison/k-mart
K-mart/Jamison
Hill

#185 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 05, 2012 - 02:42 AM

I would argue the effectiveness of Sacre to Martin would be equal at this point. With the playing time either would get and what they could do when on the court (and in the situations they'd be put in), the difference is negligible at best. At the strongest end in favor of Martin, the difference wouldn't justify bringing him in whatsoever.

But, it's all moot, as that is not the spot the Lakers need help in anyway.

They need help at the 2 and on the wing or at the 3. I really would pursue Pietrus and find a way (what way that is, I don't know, aside from buying him out) to dump Duhon. Pietrus can slide into the 2 or the 3, play strong defense and hit a 3 here and there. Anything to shore up the 3 and solidify that spot is worth the money to me. But, it's not my money to spend.

#186 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 05, 2012 - 08:00 AM

I still think Martin>>>>>>Jamison

#187 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted November 05, 2012 - 08:16 AM

Well, regardless of what we can all say, Martin's numbers from last year, when he was injured, are still better than anything Sacre could put up at this point, especially on defense (Martin would actually be better than almost our entire bench on the defensive end, possibly even Jordan Hill).

But, with us learning a new offense, the big problem would be trying to fit him in, and he would be a P&R player with limited ability to do anything else.

Being the 5th man off the bench would still land him decent minutes, since Brown thinks Jamison should be playing the three every now and then. We wouldn't see him in for 20 minutes (he averaged 22 minutes last year with the Clippers), but a quarter of play every night would suffice.

If we're going to spend money, though, again, it should be for Pietrus...and that wouldn't eliminate Jodie Meeks from the equation, it would move Ebanks out of the way (at least, it would if it were my team). Pietrus can play the three, and I'd want him in the same role Ron Artest is in.

I still think Martin>>>>>>Jamison

Nope.

#188 RAFA

RAFA

Rookie

• 212 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:MAGIC JOHNSON

Posted November 05, 2012 - 09:59 AM

is he even in shape????

#189 TheOriginalCZM

TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Brian Scalabrine

Posted November 05, 2012 - 10:17 AM

is he even in shape????

I'm sure he is...i think K-mart knows better than to request to play for any NBA team and he's not even in shape. If it was down to cut sacre and sign martin? I would go ahead and do it considering his presence on the defensive end and it would be nice if we had another big body to crash the boards along with dwight.

#190 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,291 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted November 05, 2012 - 10:40 AM

ill pass

#191 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,118 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 05, 2012 - 12:39 PM

Well, regardless of what we can all say, Martin's numbers from last year, when he was injured, are still better than anything Sacre could put up at this point, especially on defense (Martin would actually be better than almost our entire bench on the defensive end, possibly even Jordan Hill).

But, with us learning a new offense, the big problem would be trying to fit him in, and he would be a P&R player with limited ability to do anything else.

Being the 5th man off the bench would still land him decent minutes, since Brown thinks Jamison should be playing the three every now and then. We wouldn't see him in for 20 minutes (he averaged 22 minutes last year with the Clippers), but a quarter of play every night would suffice.

If we're going to spend money, though, again, it should be for Pietrus...and that wouldn't eliminate Jodie Meeks from the equation, it would move Ebanks out of the way (at least, it would if it were my team). Pietrus can play the three, and I'd want him in the same role Ron Artest is in.

Nope.

yeah but the other bright side to Martin is that he already knows the Princeton. So when it comes to implementing him in the system he wouldn't have as big a learning curve and with Sacre I get nervous he's gonna cause a turnover before we even get into the offense which is why he doesn't get playing time. I wouldn't mind Martin. As far as Pietrus goes, I don't see us getting him while also having Meeks and Ebanks

Edited by Majesty, November 05, 2012 - 12:39 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#192 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 05, 2012 - 02:41 PM

I'm with ya on that.

In a perfect world it would be great to find a deal for Duhon and Ebanks, ship 'em out and get Pietrus on board.

I'm still pretty surprised that he's out there without a job.

#193 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 02:44 PM

I'm with ya on that.

In a perfect world it would be great to find a deal for Duhon and Ebanks, ship 'em out and get Pietrus on board.

I'm still pretty surprised that he's out there without a job.

subtract Ebanks from that trade and then maybe. We need Ebanks, Pietrus would not be that much of an upgrade for a declining player

Edited by Cj2008nw, November 05, 2012 - 02:48 PM.

#194 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,118 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 05, 2012 - 02:47 PM

subtract Ebanks from that trade and then maybe we need Ebanks and Pietrus would be that much of an upgrade for a declining player

In a perfect world we'd trade Duhon and Sacre =p for picks and a TPE. :whistle:

Edited by Majesty, November 05, 2012 - 02:47 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#195 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 02:59 PM

I still feel that Martin would have been a better pick up than Jamison.... It's funny how everybody calls you stupid and your post a joke but when you end up being right about the players everybody was drooling over then nobody has anything to say.....

I was against the whole Steve Nash thing based off of how bad our defense on the perimeter was last year and was hoping the would bring in more younger athletic defensive players... I appreciate that we have Nash and I hope he can contribute more than what he has on offense to cancel out his horrible defense...

I was also against Jamison a player who wasn't good offensively and more than bad on defense.... I knew he was going to be the scrub he has played up to this point but there is A LOT more season left so hopefully he can just play good enough for this 1 YEAR so we can win a championship.... hopefully he pulls a Shane Battier LOL miss EVERY SINGLE 3 and become lights out in the finals lol

#196 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,030 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted November 05, 2012 - 03:08 PM

I still feel that Martin would have been a better pick up than Jamison.... It's funny how everybody calls you stupid and your post a joke but when you end up being right about the players everybody was drooling over then nobody has anything to say.....

I was against the whole Steve Nash thing based off of how bad our defense on the perimeter was last year and was hoping the would bring in more younger athletic defensive players... I appreciate that we have Nash and I hope he can contribute more than what he has on offense to cancel out his horrible defense...

I was also against Jamison a player who wasn't good offensively and more than bad on defense.... I knew he was going to be the scrub he has played up to this point but there is A LOT more season left so hopefully he can just play good enough for this 1 YEAR so we can win a championship.... hopefully he pulls a Shane Battier LOL miss EVERY SINGLE 3 and become lights out in the finals lol

Jamison should be a better pick up than Martin(for this team), he should be a great pick up.but thanks to Potatoe Head, hes not. Jamison cant beat a single SF off the dribble,,,so his shot better be goin, and its not... Jamison had twenty 20point games last season where he shot 45% or more in the game,,,,he can be efficient at the 4...
once dwight is healthy and can grab every rebound,,,if mike brown doesnt play this lineup for Nash,,, ill smack him - nash,meeks,kobe,jamison,dwight. pick and roll with dwight all day in that lineup= open shots for shooters.

we all know this, Jamison needs to play the 4, with Nash, and Meeks needs to play with Nash. mike brown is a piece of [expletive]ing [expletive]

btw martin = Hill ,exactly, with a J,tho ,,,,,compare them two..

Edited by KeepItRealOrElse, November 05, 2012 - 03:10 PM.

#197 Lagunero

Lagunero

☑ Nash ☑ Howard - Win Championship ☐

• 1,617 posts
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe, Kareem, Shaq.

Posted November 05, 2012 - 03:11 PM

agree with everything.

Posted Image

#198 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,030 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 03:16 PM

i just wish Hill hadnt got hurt.with Hills injury, Martin would be better for us at this point. but i dont see that happening with Hill still playing, i wish he would just have the surgery,,,,,but what i wish 10 times more is that we sign Delonte,,, idk if we'd lose a game with him,,,,,ya,i went there.

but you know, with Dwight healthy, and Jamison at the 4, i dont think we'd lose a game,either,,,,,,,maybe our 2nd unit would cost us,tho!!!!!!!!!-delonte!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :censored: any1 who doesnt want delonte , you are the reason why Delonte will wild out and make your mama lebrons mama take two !!!

Edited by KeepItRealOrElse, November 05, 2012 - 03:16 PM.

#199 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,737 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted November 05, 2012 - 03:25 PM

By the way, why hasn't Pietrus been signed yet? Do we have enough cash or what?

#200 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,030 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 03:28 PM

By the way, why hasn't Pietrus been signed yet? Do we have enough cash or what?

we need a wing to lead the 2nd unit....... peitrus>metta but thats not the sitch.. i dont think Pietrus would have much of an impact in the 2nd unit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users