Photo

Celtics Unlikely To Buy Out Paul Pierce

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,541 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted August 05, 2012 - 05:51 PM

Paul Pierce Not Interested In Signing Extension

Paul+Pierce+Miami+Heat+v+Boston+Celtics+

Paul Pierce has played all 14 of his NBA seasons with the Boston Celtics, but he is not seeking an extension on his current contract, preferring to become a free agent when it expires, according to the Boston Globe.

Pierce, 34, is under contract through 2013-2014, but it’s not guaranteed as a team option.

“I think I am going to play this one out,” he told the Globe. “I want to see what it feels like to be a free agent for once in my life. I think I am going to play this one out. A lot can change in two years. My body [may not] be where I want it to be, I could retire, a lot of things could happen. I love the game. I made as much money as I possibly can. It’s about winning a championship and if I feel like it’s the right thing to do, maybe so [come back]. If I solidify my third year, maybe they opt out, so it’s about keeping your options open.”

His decision about whether to stay with the Celtics may depend on what other pieces the Celtics have then.

Ray Allen left to join the Miami Heat, and coach Doc Rivers might be ready to walk away from the NBA sometime soon. Kevin Garnett signed a three-year extension this summer, but he is 36 years old.

Pierce was put on the trading block last season before general manager Danny Ainge decided to keep the team together for another run.

http://www.hoopsworl..._medium=twitter

Edited by LALakersFan4Life, June 24, 2013 - 10:39 AM.

#2 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,010 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 05, 2012 - 05:54 PM

[expletive] paula pierce

Pau Gasol is GONE

#3 cobyjacks

cobyjacks

Rookie

• 184 posts
  • Name:DBrown
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean/Metta World Peace

Posted August 05, 2012 - 09:17 PM

Do the right thing Paul, come home.

#4 NasWutangKB24

NasWutangKB24

KUSH

• 861 posts
  • Fan Since:1995
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 08, 2012 - 11:00 PM

Do the right thing Paul, come home.

Sure as long as its the Clippers

I've hated him for too long...it wouldn't feel right having him on the Lakers

#5 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,541 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 09:08 AM

Paul Pierce Unwilling To Be Part Of Rebuilding Situation

Posted Image

By Steve Bulpett / Boston Herald

TORONTO — Before we get to the part that is certain to be sliced, diced and placed under an electron microscope — comments that will invite words to be read between their lines — it is important to know this: Paul Pierce is thoroughly committed to the Celtics and what they’re presently trying to do.

Even with Rajon Rondo and Jared Sullinger down and out for the season, the captain still believes . . . even as he acknowledges the possibility that what comes next may not be conducive to his own goals and may force him to finish his career elsewhere.

But back to now. Pierce is intent on leaving an omelet on the face of all those who think the Celts are sunk.

“No doubt,” he said yesterday of his motives. “I honestly feel this team could do something special beyond what anybody could probably believe. I feel like the talent that’s in this room, based on when I look at the East — even with the circumstances with the injuries — can still win. When I see how we play against a Miami and I see how we play vs. the Clippers and just what we’ve got, I still feel like we can compete with anybody in the league.

“You know, this could be one of those special stories that come around every so many years.”

Still, while a short time later, Kevin Garnett continued to be more cryptic about his own situation, Pierce spelled out his clearly. Sitting precisely where he had 10 months earlier when he told the Herald he would consider retirement following the 2011-12 season, he said the matter will again be open.

“I’m at the point in my career where I’ve got to evaluate it each and every year,” Pierce said. “It’s all based on the situation and based on what I want out of this game still. I mean, I’ve still got a lot of love for the game. I’m still very motivated. But there’s other factors.

“I mean, I really don’t want to be part of a rebuilding situation again. I just think at this point in time that’s something that would wear on me too much mentally that I don’t know what decision I may make if I have to. I may retire if I have to. You know, that’s something that’s a year-end process, especially given the situation that we have right now.”

According to Pierce, his call will be dictated by the direction the Celtics take moving forward. And while he has stated strongly that he would like to end his career with the club, he opened the door wide to the possibility he could finish elsewhere.

“It’s all on what they plan on doing,” said Pierce. “If they try to go into a rebuild mode, then, you know, I don’t know if I want to be a part of that. But that’s up to them and what they need to do. I don’t want to go out on a rebuild mode.

“I want an opportunity to at least try to win another championship, simple and plain. And if that’s not going to be here — if that’s going to be somewhere else — so be it. That’s what it has to be. I mean, even the greatest players played for other franchises.

“And sometimes it’s not about the player; it’s about the franchise moving forward and doing what they feel is best for them. And players have their agendas, too, as far as older players as they wind down their career wanting to finish on successful teams.”

Pierce still believes he could accomplish that with the Celtics, but it’s fair to say, too, he knows where his suitcase is should management decide to take the club in a reconstructive direction.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2013/02/pierce_i_dont_want_be_part_rebuilding_situation

#6 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 07, 2013 - 09:51 AM

He won't go anywhere.

These guys just want to see what it's like being courted around the country.

No contesting team has a need for him as a starter and he certainly won't take a bench role anywhere.

#7 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,541 posts

Posted February 21, 2013 - 12:34 AM

Celtics and Nets Talk Trade For Paul Pierce

Posted Image

By Adrian Wojnarowski

The Boston Celtics and Brooklyn Nets have discussed a trade for Celtics star Paul Pierce, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Nets' willingness to a deal centered on forward Kris Humphries, guard MarShon Brooks and a first-round draft pick, but the Celtics want a more substantial package to consider moving Pierce, league sources said.

"The Celtics still highly value Pierce and it wouldn't make sense to trade him for that kind of a package if they're keeping Kevin Garnett," one league source said.

Boston has shown interest in forward Mirza Teletovic and securing another possible first-round pick, but the Nets have shown no inclination to pay that steep of a price for Pierce.

The Nets and Celtics discussed a deal for Pierce at the 2012 trade deadline, but the Celtics decided to keep him for another playoff run. Pierce, 35, is averaging 18 points for the Celtics this season, shooting his worst from the field – 41 percent – in the past eight seasons.

Boston had interest in guard C.J. Watson in a separate deal, but Brooklyn doesn't want to part with him, sources said.

For now, the Los Angeles Clippers have terminated talks with the Boston Celtics on a Kevin Garnett for Eric Bledsoe and DeAndre Jordan trade, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Celtics have been eager to continue the conversation on the deal, but league sources said the talks will remain dormant unless Clippers star Chris Paul pushes the issue with management.

Several prominent executives and coaches with championship contenders told Yahoo! Sports they believe the Clippers would become more dangerous with Garnett.

Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro is a proponent of the deal, too, sources said.

The Celtics won't consider moving Garnett to the Clippers for any other combination of players, and won't revisit the talks unless Bledsoe and Jordan are in the package, sources said.

Boston hasn't approached Garnett to waive his no-trade clause without an agreement in place, but there's strong belief he would ultimately agree to it. What's more, Boston could simply trade Paul Pierce and leave Garnett with even less desire to finish his career with a young, rebuilding roster.

[Watch: Possible movers at NBA trade deadline]

Boston is balancing the parallel considerations of finding a way to add to its core for a playoff run, or disassembling its aging veterans to start the process of rebuilding again.

If the Celtics trade Garnett before the deadline, they would move Pierce, too, sources said. For the Celtics, the chance to get Bledsoe and Jordan could be a prelude to trying to package Pierce in a possible deal to the Atlanta Hawks for Josh Smith, sources said.

The Hawks also have discussed sending Pierce onto a third team in some previous conversations around the league. The Nets are trying to make a deal for Smith, too, and have offered Kris Humphries, MarShon Brooks, and either a future first-round pick or the draft rights to Croatian Bojan Bogdanovic, sources said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nba-trade-deadline-buzz--clippers-end-kevin-garnett-trade-talks-for-now-030112108.html;_ylt=AwrHgZSKQCRRhH0AUgELcykA;_ylu=X3oDMTFoZnA0Y2I3BG1pdANCbG9nIEluZGV4IGJ5IEF1dGhvcgRwb3MDMQRzZWMDTWVkaWFCbG9nSW5kZXg-;_ylg=X3oD

#8 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,541 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 01:01 AM

Celtics Had High Asking Price For Paul Pierce With Nets

Fred Kerber ‏@FredKerber

Source sed #Celtics called #BrooklynNets re PPierce & asked 4 lots: MBrooks, MTeletovic, KHumphries & two future 1st rounders

https://twitter.com/...021040201977856

#9 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,541 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 01:04 AM

Paul Pierce Nearly Dealt To Mavericks In Three-Team Josh Smith Trade

Paul+Pierce+Boston+Celtics+v+Phoenix+Sun

By Adrian Wojnarowski

Before the trade deadline passed, the Boston Celtics had one final choice to make on the franchise's future: In a three-way deal that would've secured Josh Smith and surrendered Paul Pierce to Dallas, Atlanta wanted Boston's first-round draft pick, too.

As much as any of the proposed deals discussed in February, perhaps this had been the closest Pierce had come to parting with the Celtics, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Dallas had constructed a package that included Jae Crowder, Brandan Wright and Dahntay Jones to Atlanta, with the Mavericks and Hawks exchanging positions in the 2013 NBA draft.

Nevertheless, Boston wouldn't relent on the pick and the deal died on meeting-room grease boards in three cities. Celtics coach Doc Rivers has always understood that general manager Danny Ainge's reshaping of the roster is inevitable, but he's never been in a hurry to lord over a rebuild.

As the Hawks meet the Celtics on Friday night in Boston, the Celtics have won 13 of 17 games since they lost point guard Rajon Rondo for the season. The bench has been reconstructed, Pierce and Kevin Garnett are remarkably rejuvenated and Avery Bradley has been spectacular in his development. At 33-27 and holding the seventh seed, Boston is within 1½ games of the fourth seed in the Eastern Conference.

[Also: Bulls star Derrick Rose cleared to play, but hesitation sets in]

"We've definitely found who we are, but it's been a search," Rivers told Yahoo! Sports. "Here's why I love coaching this team: We're flawed and we know it. We know that we're not deep. We know that we're not big. We know that we don't have great ball handlers.

"But the guys, they know who are now."

To watch Rivers leave the floor on Wednesday night in Indianapolis – pumping his fist over and over, screaming, "Yes … YES! … YES!" on his way into the tunnel – is to understand the joy he's found coaching these Celtics. Somehow, the Celtics hung around and hung around with the powerful Pacers, distilled the game to a final possession and executed brilliantly for a layup that left Indiana less than a second on the clock.

Pierce tied up two Pacers with a screen, Kevin Garnett stayed patient for Jeff Green to free himself and hit him with the pass under the rim. Rivers had an idea to call a different play, but listened to one of his assistants, Armond Hill, talk him into something that they successfully run in the first half. History and trust and belief can still carry the day.

For these Celtics, it's useless sitting around and discussing themselves as championship contenders. With Rondo, it was farfetched. Without him, they'll feel his loss even more in the playoffs. For now, they're thrilled they're still together, still making trouble for everyone.

[Also: Dwight Howard backtracks on comments about Magic players]

"What I've told our guys is simply let's put our head down and keep playing," Rivers said. "Let's do the best we can do, and see where it takes us. And I think we're going to be surprised how far it can take us."

Every year, the Celtics go through this now: Do they make it together to the trade deadline, the draft-day deals and July free agency? Every year, it feels like the end and yet the core mostly stays together. Ray Allen is gone now, and Pierce and Garnett could've been moved at the deadline.

Only, they're still here, still chasing the springtime. These Celtics aren't championship contenders, but somehow they're pushing on fourth place in the Eastern Conference, pushing themselves back from the brink.

http://sports.yahoo....-203043279.html

#10 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,541 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 01:06 AM

Danny Ainge: Celtics Face 'Very Hard' Decision On Whether To Buyout Paul Pierce

Paul+Pierce+Boston+Celtics+v+New+York+Kn

By A. Sherrod Blakely
Celtics Insider

NEW YORK — Danny Ainge has no doubts about whether Paul Pierce still has quality basketball left in him.

Whether he'll be playing those final seasons in Boston remains to be seen.

Ainge and the C's have an option to buy out Pierce for $5 million, which would provide the C's a savings of more than $10 million.

Ainge told CSNNE.com prior to Boston's 92-86 Game 5 win on Wednesday night that whatever the team decides to do with Pierce during the offseason - keep him, trade him or buy him out - it will be one of the toughest calls he has had to make.

"What's important to understand, yeah, it's going to be hard for fans and everybody else, but as far as what's doing what's best for the Celtics, it's probably going to be very hard, too," Ainge told CSNNE.com. "It's not a no-brainer. It's not like you get a 21-year-old All-Star player, or you get the number one pick in the draft [if you let Pierce go]. Those decisions would not be hard, but I have a feeling the decision is going to be very hard, yeah."

As far as whether he is leaning one way or another, Ainge made it clear that no decision on Pierce's future had been made.

"I have not even discussed that with anyone within our franchise yet," Ainge said. "So that's something for like a few weeks from now to contemplate."

While Pierce said Wednesday morning that he had not given his future too much thought, it's clear that he plans to finish his career off with the only team he has known even if that means a short detour between now and the time he decides to call it quits.

"The organization is going to do what it has to do," Pierce said. "It's nothing that's stressing me out; that's what it is. Every year, they have decisions to make. And those are their decisions, so I leave it to them."

Pierce added, "the decision is in their hands. Whatever decision they make, maybe if they trade me somewhere or I end up somewhere else, maybe it can end up a situation where I come back for a one-day deal and retire a Celtic."

Ainge wasn't much of a mood to stroll down memory lane too much when it came to Pierce and what he has meant to the Celtics franchise. But there's no mistaking his deep admiration and respect for what Pierce has done for the Celtics, and what he has the ability to continue doing in the NBA.

Pierce showed flashes of that in Wednesday's Celtics victory, overcoming a slow 0-for-6 start shooting the ball to finish with 16 points on 6-for-19 shooting to go with four rebounds and three assists.

The one downside of Pierce's game was him racking up yet again a high number of turnovers. The Captain has turned the ball over at least five times in each of the C's five playoff games.

But when Ainge looks at Pierce's body of work this season, the positives  far outweigh the negatives.

"Paul has given his heart and soul," said Ainge, who acknowledged prior to the game that Pierce has turned the ball over too much. "He's trying to do too much; he's trying to carry an unnecessary burden, but that's only because he cares; he's just trying. I have no criticism of Paul. I know he's capable of playing even better, and I know he still has a lot of basketball left in him."

But will that basketball be played in a Celtics jersey?

http://www.csnne.com...decision-pierce

#11 fido

fido

• 10,829 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 08:22 AM

That would be incredibly disrespectful for the Celtics to buy him out and not sign him to one more small deal so he retires a Celtic.

#12 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,354 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 03, 2013 - 09:06 AM

I can definitely see Pierce becoming a Clipper next season if the Celtics buy him out.  Kinda what the Clippers need too, a solid scorer to add with Chris Paul. 

#13 fido

fido

• 10,829 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 09:05 PM

I don't think Chris Paul returning to the Clippers is such a sure thing.

#14 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,541 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 11:09 AM

Paul Pierce Will Play Next Season, Unsure Of Future With Celtics

Pierce_Paul_bos_130331.jpg

Paul Pierce plans to play next season, and it seems as though it won't matter if he's still with the Boston Celtics.

"That's up to Danny [Ainge] and them," Pierce said when asked if he expects to be with the Celtics in 2013-14.

"I definitely expect to be playing," he added, alluding that he'd consider continuing his career with another team.

There are questions surrounding the Celtics heading into the summer. Ainge will have to decide whether to begin a rebuilding project or try and bring the current core back for another run.

"I've been here 15 years, and I've seen a lot of changes every year," Pierce reflected.

http://basketball.re...re-With-Celtics

#15 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,541 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 10:15 AM

Celtics and Cavaliers Discuss Paul Pierce Trade

Paul+Pierce+Boston+Celtics+v+New+York+Kn

By Baxter Holmes, Globe Staff

The Cleveland Cavaliers are interested in the possibility of acquiring Celtics forward Paul Pierce, a league source confirmed to the Globe Monday, and reportedly the Cavaliers have discussed the possibility of offering multiple second-round draft picks in exchange for him.

However, the source told the Globe any talks are very much in the preliminary stages. That said, Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge would no doubt be interested in acquiring assets, such as draft picks, that could help rebuild the Celtics going forward.

As the Globe recently reported, league sources have indicated that there is better-than-average interest for Pierce on the trade market, specifically from teams that are on the cusp of making the playoffs or are looking to make a deeper postseason push.

To those teams, the sources said, Pierce's postseason experience and scoring are valuable, even if he would be 36 by the time the 2013-14 season begins.

The Cavaliers, who hold the No. 1 overall pick in Thursday's NBA draft, were 24-58 last season – 13th out of 15 teams in the Eastern Conference.

The Celtics have less than a week to make a decision about Pierce's future. By midnight on June 30, the team must decide if it wants to buy out his contract for $5 million; if the Celtics don't do that, then Pierce's $15.3 million contract for next season is guaranteed.

Pierce has spent his entire career with the Celtics and averaged 18.6 points, 6.3 rebounds and 4.8 assists last season.

http://www.boston.co..._paul_pier.html

#16 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,541 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 10:39 AM

Celtics Unlikely To Buy Out Paul Pierce

Pierce_Paul_bos_130331.jpg

The Boston Celtics almost certainly won't buy out Paul Pierce for the 13-14 season, according to sources.

The Celtics could buy out Pierce's $15 million salary for $5 million.

The Celtics have received enough interest from contending teams interested in Pierce where he is viewed as an asset.

http://sports.yahoo....-202137296.html

• 40,373 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 01:46 PM

^ Could this just be some sorta strategy for leverage? Since they know he's wanted by many, maybe this stance could just simply be made with the intent to elevate better offers?

yo.

#18 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,354 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 24, 2013 - 01:49 PM

They'll release him if they can't trade him. 

The last thing they want to do is pay Pierce 15 million next season.

• 40,373 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 01:52 PM

Teams lie so much about their intentions. Strategy almost always plays a role. Should be used to it by now.

yo.

#20 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,984 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 24, 2013 - 05:49 PM

They'll release him if they can't trade him. 

The last thing they want to do is pay Pierce 15 million next season.

Could you see them amnestying him?

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users