122 replies to this topic

#1 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,366 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 30, 2012 - 10:15 AM

Princeton Offense For the Lakers?

Last season the Los Angeles Lakers’ coaching staff was anything but a cohesive unit, and the fact that they were trying to install an entirely new offense on the fly didn’t help matters. Lakers head coach Mike Brown’s efforts to teach his team a new offensive game plan was hindered by the lockout-shortened season, and it was threatened to be hindered even further by the departures of assistants Ettore Messina and Quin Snyder, who received coaching offers from CSKA Moscow that were too lucrative to pass on.

According to reports, Brown has found a solution to his offensive problem, as the Lakers will soon add former Washington Wizards and Philadelphia 76ers head coach Eddie Jordan to his staff.

Jordan is a disciple of the Princeton offense, which was developed and perfected at Princeton University by coach Pete Carril. Carril  was a long-time assistant coach for the Sacramento Kings and helped Rick Adelman translate the offense to the NBA.

The Princeton offense revolves around constant motion, passing and backdoor cuts, all of which should be familiar to fans of the Kings, Houston Rockets, and now the Minnesota Timberwolves, as Adelman has enjoyed a great deal of success with the offense. Eddie Jordan had less success, though that was due largely to the unreasonable number of injuries he had to deal with as a head coach. Mike Brown believes Jordan is the perfect person to help him implement the same offense in Los Angeles.

HOOPSWORLD’s Eric Pincus says the Lakers have already put a lot of time and thought into how they can go about implementing the Princeton offense, and adding Jordan to the coaching staff may be the final piece to that puzzle.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba2-what-the-heck-is-daryl-morey-doing/

#2 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,244 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted July 30, 2012 - 10:20 AM

Princeton O is pretty impressive if done correctly

#3 serenityy

serenityy

Off The Bench

• 1,897 posts
  • Fan Since:1995
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 30, 2012 - 10:29 AM

With the Laker's personnel is that even possible?

#4 Thanatos

Thanatos

Rookie

• 1,232 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted July 30, 2012 - 10:36 AM

I thought Kuester was in charge of the offense. But hey, if hiring Jordan means replacing that godawful offense from last season, that's perfectly fine with me. Especially if it's the Princeton offense, since I wanted Adelman before the Lakers hired Brown.
Posted Image

#5 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,769 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 30, 2012 - 10:44 AM

We have 2 starting players who will thrive in the Princeton offense. Pau and Nash. Both are pass first players.

Any one who knows me will know how painful it is for me to say this but Lamar is also another player who would have found immediate success in this type of offense.

When run right, it is formidable and extremely hard to defend. As long as the team commits to playing together and not worrying about how many touches any one player gets, it should be fun to watch.

#6 Cato

Cato

Rookie

• 432 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:THE BLACK MAMBA

Posted July 30, 2012 - 10:45 AM

No way in hell we will ever be implementing the Princeton offense. At all.

#7 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,044 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 10:56 AM

We still better run some pick n roll with Nash & Kobe/Bynum/Pau

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#8 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,769 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 30, 2012 - 11:02 AM

No way in hell we will ever be implementing the Princeton offense. At all.

De-Nile...

#9 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,073 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 11:09 AM

Why didn't we just hire adelman then?
Posted Image

#10 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,558 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted July 30, 2012 - 11:13 AM

Eddie Jordan was an assistant for Byron Scott during the Nets days. They went to the Finals 2 years in a row in 2002 and 2003. Eddie learned the Princeton Offense from creator of the offense, Pete Carril he was the lead assistant when Eddie was coaching the Kings in 97-98 season. Carril stayed as the lead assistant under Rick Adleman through 2006. Kings were pretty good playing with the Princeton offense in 2000-2005

#11 steven v

steven v

Off The Bench

• 1,875 posts
  • Name:steven
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:The L.A. LAKERS

Posted July 30, 2012 - 11:14 AM

isn't the triangle based off the princeton offense as a read and react type of playmaking??
The Lakers FO knows more than you. Sorry.

#12 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,044 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 11:21 AM

Why didn't we just hire adelman then?

Because Jimmy boy wanted Brown.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#13 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted July 30, 2012 - 11:25 AM

As long as they realized we can't run the offense as if we have Tim Duncan and David Robinson, I'm fine with it.

#14 Cato

Cato

Rookie

• 432 posts
  • Fav. Laker:THE BLACK MAMBA

Posted July 30, 2012 - 11:37 AM

If Eddie Jordan was smarter and we had Dwight instead of 'Drew it might work sometimes i guess.

#15 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 899 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted July 30, 2012 - 11:47 AM

I'd like to see that

#16 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,761 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 30, 2012 - 12:34 PM

Our roster, as currently constructed, only has 4 guys that would be a good fit under that scheme: Kobe, Nash, Gasol and Jamison. They would do very well under that scheme, but any lineup featuring MWP and Bynum wouldn't work. And we can't bring out a lineup featuring those 4 for big portions of the game unless we want the opposition to score on us at will. I don't think the Princeton offense is the answer, especially if Bynum is supposed to be a focal point of our offense. We also wouldn't be taking advantage of Nash's mastery of the pick-and-roll with this sort of offensive scheme.

I have more faith in Steve Nash and Kobe Bryant orchestrating our offense than in our numbskull trio of coaches on the bench. If we really wanted to implement this offense and stick to familiar elements of the triangle, we should have just hired Rick Adelman last summer.

#17 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,124 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted July 30, 2012 - 01:36 PM

Good we need another approach
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#18 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,015 posts
  • Name:Will

Posted July 30, 2012 - 01:44 PM

I thought adelman ran the corner offense

Pau Gasol is GONE

#19 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,529 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted July 30, 2012 - 01:58 PM

isn't the triangle based off the princeton offense as a read and react type of playmaking??

I watched an explanation of it and it soes look allot like the triangle. It does though have a little more to it though.

I really like this offense. It will work great with nash and pau and bynum/howard will have many time where they can post and P&R. Though this seems to kinda go against kobes iso style but hopefully he will be ok with that.

#20 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,097 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 30, 2012 - 03:15 PM

I watched an explanation of it and it soes look allot like the triangle. It does though have a little more to it though.

I really like this offense. It will work great with nash and pau and bynum/howard will have many time where they can post and P&R. Though this seems to kinda go against kobes iso style but hopefully he will be ok with that.

The advantage is that THIS year we'll actually have practice time!! So I'm sure any flaws will be taken care of within the pre-season and first month of the season. Since we actually have practice time I think we'll flow a lot better.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users