L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 29, 2012 - 08:29 PM

Back a few pages, but I wanted to address this:

Pau is an elite defensive rebounder. Just because Kevin Love racks up a lot of numbers on a lottery team doesn't mean he's a better player (certainly not a better defender - is this even debatable?) than Pau. Kevin Love has never even played in a playoff game. I respect his game and he's a good 3-point shooter but he's not the best PF in basketball.

He's had two off-seasons, but that doesn't discredit his whole body of work and ability (he's in his prime at 32). A lot of that wasn't his fault - he played out of position all of last season, Mike Brown is a horrible offensive coach, and he's the type of player that needs to be in a certain rhythm to be at his best. With Nash balancing the offense (and hopefully Dwight replacing Bynum's fatass in the paint) I fully expect Pau to be on his game again.

Kevin Love is the best PF in basketball, not sure why being on a bad Timberwolves team is being used against him. He's one of the best shooters in the league, the best rebounder, and he has a very good offensive game. Defense has never been a strong suit, but that's the case with many of the better PFs in the league. His production on the boards and the offensive end more than makes up for it. He's one of the best passing big men in the league, has a solid arsenal of low-post moves, and he consistently outworks the opposition for great interior rebounding position.

If he doesn't have the necessary personnel around him, there's no way that the T'Wolves would have any postseason success. Pau Gasol didn't win a single playoff game despite having a much better team than Kevin Love has ever had. Until two season's back, Love wasn't even getting big minutes on the team despite being the most productive player dating back to his rookie season. Once he did, he became the All-Star he is today, and the league's premier PF. The 2nd best player on that team was taken out by an ACL injury midway through last season which effectively ended any postseason hopes for them. Before Rubio's injury, they were well on their way to making the playoffs as a lower seeded team.

Pau Gasol was an elite power forward two years ago. Since then, he's regressed tremendously into a guy who prefers to shoot midrange jumpers instead of going to work in the post. I've seen him post up a man down low only to go to an awkward fadeaway jumper countless times over the last two years. Completely different from the Pau Gasol that would body up down low and score at will back in our championship runs. Individual defense was never stellar, but we could count on him to show up on the offensive end every night. His decline is not a result of Mike Brown's terrible offensive scheme, but his own lack of aggressiveness. He was great for us from '08-10 in the postseason, but he was equally as bad in the last two. Can't hang on to his previous play as a crutch when he clearly hasn't been the same postseason player for two years straight.

He's not an elite PF in the game anymore because he simply can't be relied upon to come through for us night in and night. He was that guy for us from '08-10, not anymore. If he can reclaim his form from back then, we'll be a juggernaut next season. The problem is that it ultimately comes down to Pau himself.

#82 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted July 29, 2012 - 08:33 PM

This song is dedicated to Pau.

• 40,556 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 08:37 PM

How can a self-proclaimed 'beast' be doing this?

Sorry, not buyin' it.

yo.

#84 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted July 29, 2012 - 08:39 PM

It was for a charity event i will give him a pass on that one. He sang for cancer patients.
Posted Image

• 40,556 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 08:41 PM

^ Wow, an extremely mature & classy response from you on my childish one in contrast. Very impressed. Props (no +1s to show for at the moment yet again though, sorry). Also in the process, made me look like a complete ass, but rightfully so, it's warranted.

Edited by    , July 29, 2012 - 08:42 PM.

yo.

#86 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted July 29, 2012 - 08:43 PM

He's not a beast right now, but Nash can sure help him reach that level again.

#87 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted July 29, 2012 - 08:44 PM

Pau sang for cancer patients? :cry:

Thats messed up man, these people are fighting for their lives and this guy is putting the nails in their coffins with his voice.

God bless those angels, hopefully their spirits weren't broken by his awful singing.

Edited by MyJohnsonisMagic, July 29, 2012 - 08:45 PM.

#88 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,943 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 29, 2012 - 09:19 PM

Nash will give him better looks yes, but making him a beast again is up to Pau. Pau has to come with the heart and hustle he had when he first came to LA, you see it know but only for glimpses. He has to consistently show up and play with that heart and fire he once had, and nash has no affect on that.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#89 Kobe>Jordan

Kobe>Jordan

Rookie

• 479 posts
  • Name:Kobe
  • Fan Since:Vietnam
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted July 29, 2012 - 09:24 PM

Nash + Gasol > Parker + Duncan

#90 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,943 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted July 29, 2012 - 09:35 PM

Nash + Gasol > Parker + Duncan

Hmmm I have to agree for the simple fact Duncan has declined over the past two years.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#91 DA the prosecutor

DA the prosecutor

Rookie

• 217 posts
  • Name:Christian
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:KB24,Shaq and D12

Posted July 29, 2012 - 10:22 PM

hes a soft beast

#92 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted July 29, 2012 - 11:42 PM

Nash + Pau= Beauty and the Beast?

#93 Disturbed

Disturbed

Rookie

• 321 posts
  • Fan Since:1968

Posted July 29, 2012 - 11:55 PM

Pau is an elite defensive rebounder. Just because Kevin Love racks up a lot of numbers on a lottery team doesn't mean he's a better player (certainly not a better defender - is this even debatable?) than Pau. Kevin Love has never even played in a playoff game. I respect his game and he's a good 3-point shooter but he's not the best PF in basketball.

He's had two off-seasons, but that doesn't discredit his whole body of work and ability (he's in his prime at 32). A lot of that wasn't his fault - he played out of position all of last season, Mike Brown is a horrible offensive coach, and he's the type of player that needs to be in a certain rhythm to be at his best. With Nash balancing the offense (and hopefully Dwight replacing Bynum's fatass in the paint) I fully expect Pau to be on his game again.

Gasol as the number one option and the leader of the team in Memphis, lost 12 playoff games in a row.......Gasol was broomed out of the playoffs all three time in Memphis!
NEARLY ALL MEN CAN STAND ADVERISTY, BUT IF YOU WANT TO TEST A MAN'S CHARACTER, GIVE HIM POWER.
Abraham Lincoln

#94 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,709 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 30, 2012 - 03:29 AM

Gasol as the number one option and the leader of the team in Memphis, lost 12 playoff games in a row.......Gasol was broomed out of the playoffs all three time in Memphis!

Different times in ones careers, different levels of experience.
You guys keep bringing this up so many years after. The fact is that Pau is now a better player than then, he is a different player, he is not as explosive, that's for sure, but for a handful of people in this forum he will always be called "soft"
Posted Image

#95 CameronStewart

CameronStewart

Rookie

• 492 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 30, 2012 - 05:28 AM

Pau sang for cancer patients? :cry:

Thats messed up man, these people are fighting for their lives and this guy is putting the nails in their coffins with his voice.

God bless those angels, hopefully their spirits weren't broken by his awful singing.

Tell me your joking

#96 Makaveli

Makaveli

where will i go?

• 13,319 posts
  • Fan Since:'06
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe 'Bean' Bryant.

Posted July 30, 2012 - 06:19 AM

Tell me your joking

he was

#97 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted July 30, 2012 - 07:23 AM

Tell me your joking

Well duh, why would I be serious?

I'm not Kevin Garnett.

#98 Disturbed

Disturbed

Rookie

• 321 posts
  • Fan Since:1968

Posted July 30, 2012 - 08:11 AM

Different times in ones careers, different levels of experience.
You guys keep bringing this up so many years after. The fact is that Pau is now a better player than then, he is a different player, he is not as explosive, that's for sure, but for a handful of people in this forum he will always be called "soft"

Gsaol has never been explosive but he has always been soft......Not winning a single playoff game in Memphis in 12 tries proves he is not and never has been explosive. He is overrated, he has been a very good steady center but he is not one you can build a team around. He is not a go to guy, he is a deluxe role player. He now makes superstar money thanks to Kobe.
NEARLY ALL MEN CAN STAND ADVERISTY, BUT IF YOU WANT TO TEST A MAN'S CHARACTER, GIVE HIM POWER.
Abraham Lincoln

#99 cobyjacks

cobyjacks

Rookie

• 184 posts
  • Name:DBrown
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean/Metta World Peace

Posted July 30, 2012 - 09:28 AM

Gsaol has never been explosive but he has always been soft......Not winning a single playoff game in Memphis in 12 tries proves he is not and never has been explosive. He is overrated, he has been a very good steady center but he is not one you can build a team around. He is not a go to guy, he is a deluxe role player. He now makes superstar money thanks to Kobe.

So much Pau hate on this forum, its rediculous. A lot of people forget, Pau didn't have prime Shaq...instead he had mike miller. So based on that alone its hard to imagine a team with those two as the best players even making the playoffs.

Lol deluxe role player? I guess Chris bosh and dwade are deluxe role players too right? Every superstar needs AS caliber help to win.

And people say he doesn't post anymore? No, Bynum is the #1 post target which has pushed Pau to the perimeter. MB isn't clever enough to integrate them both where they are most comfortable. Hopefully Eddie Jordan knows how to run an offense with two bigs. Pau is a Beast!

#100 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,887 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 30, 2012 - 10:12 AM

Very excited to see the impact of Nash on the entire Lakers squad, but moreover Pau Gasol.

I think Nash's presence and skills will benefit everyone but Pau may be one of the primary players helped out immediately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users