#41 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,177 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 29, 2012 - 03:51 PM

Not to incite things even more, but.... Pau Gasol is probably the best power forward in basketball. I'll take him over 6'9" Kevin Love and his .448 % shooting and no defense. Or Blake Griffin's i-dunk-alot-but-get-shut-out-in-the-playoffs-when-teams-can-game-plan.

Are you trying to provoke me?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#42 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted July 29, 2012 - 03:56 PM

Don't pay attention to it, he said "probably".

He also failed to realize rebounding was part of defense.

#43 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,174 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 29, 2012 - 04:00 PM

Everyone has an excuse for why Pau is no longer effective, and can find any perspective to still call him the "best power forward" in basketball.

What some fail to realize is that no one denies his talent, his ability and all the things he CAN do, it's the fact hr hasn't taken advantage of it against opposition that talent wise shouldn't be able to stay with him at all. When you're in the post or defended by another teams bench power forward or center and your name is Pau Gasol, you shouldn't be looking for Steve Blake to be the scorer instead of you.

It's his refusal to take the initiative and always having an excuse as to why. I have a hard time believing someone that was put in an elite position since he got into the league somehow "doesn't know" that he should be dominating bench opposition when both Bynum and Kobe are on the bench. That's just silly and so is anyone that actually buys that.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#44 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted July 29, 2012 - 04:03 PM

Everyone has an excuse for why Pau is no longer effective, and can find any perspective to still call him the "best power forward" in basketball.

What some fail to realize is that no one denies his talent, his ability and all the things he CAN do, it's the fact hr hasn't taken advantage of it against opposition that talent wise shouldn't be able to stay with him at all. When you're in the post or defended by another teams bench power forward or center and your name is Pau Gasol, you shouldn't be looking for Steve Blake to be the scorer instead of you.

It's his refusal to take the initiative and always having an excuse as to why. I have a hard time believing someone that was put in an elite position since he got into the league somehow "doesn't know" that he should be dominating bench opposition when both Bynum and Kobe are on the bench. That's just silly and so is anyone that actually buys that.

Whoa :rock:

You weren't being sarcastic right? :huh:

#45 CameronStewart

CameronStewart

Rookie

• 492 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 29, 2012 - 04:03 PM

Hey all,

I'v been following these forums for ages, reading over posts etc to keep up to date with information....but have not made a comment in a while until I read this thread.

We know the man's had a couple of pretty poor seasons recently but it's fairly obvious he's trying to turn this around and get himself pumped up for the upcoming season. Him talking about "being a beast etc" is more proof of his new positive attitude and he is probably trying to pump your guys up...the fans. Not that half of you seem to give a crap about him.

And on a side note....Pau Gasol became a doctor in order to help people with diseases etc when he heard the news Magic had HIV. Even if he is from a good background, he's a man thats given more back to the world than any other NBA star.

And then theres that photo of Kobe and Pau at the Olympics....I think that picture is amazing. Two men representing their own countries, proud atheletes, together in unity. Sometimes basketball is more than a sport and its about time some people get of his back and support our man Gasol.

Edited by CameronStewart, July 29, 2012 - 04:05 PM.

#46 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,177 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 04:05 PM

Less talk more action

Pau Gasol is GONE

#47 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,174 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 04:06 PM

Whoa :rock:

You weren't being sarcastic right? :huh:

Not at all :glasses:

Edited by Majesty, July 29, 2012 - 04:14 PM.

#48 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted July 29, 2012 - 04:07 PM

Less talk more action

This.

Not at all :glasses:

Fo sho :D

Edited by MyJohnsonisMagic, July 29, 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#49 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted July 29, 2012 - 04:08 PM

Pau is like bynum they both do good one game but dissapear in the next two.
Posted Image

#50 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,174 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 04:14 PM

I actually remember the two years ago when Pau would actually call for plays to be given to him, even when playing with Kobe would call for Kobe to make plays to him and he would be aggressive with it. But he went from the guy who wants to make the play to a guy who wants to make plays for others. That's not necessarily a bad thing but you don't do it when you're the best scorer on the court(and oftentime with the bench unit he was) you don't say "Alright I got this bench power forward/center on me" heck sometimes even a GUARD was guarding Gasol on a mismatch, and instead of Gasol saying "alright, I'm the main guy out here with this unit I should take the initiative and find people when the double comes" he says "Alright 5 seconds left on the shotclock... hey is that Blake being double teamed? Here the pass Blake! Good luck! Get me an assist!"

That is the problem. He went from a guy saying "Hey, I'll be open here, this guy can't stick with me, find me and I'm gonna score" to a guy that would say "I'll just wait here for the pass" or a guy who would set a screen and then back off instead of rolling and say "Ok there's the screen! Go make the play"

This is why Kobe was frustrated with Pau when Pau started doing the same thing to HIM, that's why when Pau came out to Kobe to set a screen Kobe stopped dribbling and just stared at him in an "are you kidding me?" Fashion.

Kobe may appreciate all Pau has done but his frustration with the guy is something he can't hide on the court.

Now with Nash on the team there is NO excuse for Pau to act like that. If he continues to do such, I look forward to what new excuses arise as to why Pau isn't being effective.

Maybe we'll see some "Nash didn't get the pass to him .5 seconds fast enough! You need perfect timing! it's not like Pau is a professional that knows how to improvise!"

#51 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,174 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 04:15 PM

Pau is like bynum they both do good one game but dissapear in the next two.

Difference is Bynum is in his first year given an elite-type level responsibility, the last 2 years Bynum has pretty much been the third guy(Kobe and Gasol were the frontrunners) I mean heck this was his FIRST year dealing with double teams, so I expected him to struggle and actually the progress he made did surprise me a little, has work to be done still but that's expected as the other all-time centers in the league backing Bynum such as Kevin Mchale can attest to. However like Dwight Howard, Gasol came into the league with an elite-type level responsibility. So I'm much more surprised and disappointed when Gasol does that. Gasol has dealt with all kinds of defenses and looks against much better opposition and has a GREAT mind for the game.

So when I hear Gasol say things as to why he didn't dominate when another teams bench player is on him and he says things like "I didn't know I was supposed to take the initiative, I'm getting used to it" my jaw seriously dropped... the guy that's been put an elite-level of responsibility from entering the league, suddenly has no idea he's supposed to take it to another team's bench player....

THAT is the problem I have with Gasol, he has a much higher basketball IQ and EXPERIENCE at this level than Bynum does, he SHOULDN'T be the guy saying these things or trying to fall back on these things as an excuse.

Edited by Majesty, July 29, 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#52 pointguard11

pointguard11

Starter

• 4,949 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 05:24 PM

....Gasol using Beast to describe himself just shows what an arrogant, self indulgent, self promoting, person he is. So many think about Gasol and what a nice guy he is, sorry, I see him as a spoiled brat. He grew up privileged, his family has money, Gasol was always the best Spanish player growing up, he was coddled like all stars are, he does not know what it is to struggle to work hard, he views himself as "elite". He never takes blame it is always someone else's fault.

huh?
"The way Steve is as a teammate, the way he sets the tone, the way the team kind of takes on his persona. As a coach, that's the best thing in the world. It's easy to coach. He's taking care of the chemistry. You just coach."

Mike D'Antoni

#53 Cato

Cato

Rookie

• 432 posts
  • Fav. Laker:THE BLACK MAMBA

Posted July 29, 2012 - 06:57 PM

Don't pay attention to it, he said "probably".

He also failed to realize rebounding was part of defense.

Pau is an elite defensive rebounder. Just because Kevin Love racks up a lot of numbers on a lottery team doesn't mean he's a better player (certainly not a better defender - is this even debatable?) than Pau. Kevin Love has never even played in a playoff game. I respect his game and he's a good 3-point shooter but he's not the best PF in basketball.

He's had two off-seasons, but that doesn't discredit his whole body of work and ability (he's in his prime at 32). A lot of that wasn't his fault - he played out of position all of last season, Mike Brown is a horrible offensive coach, and he's the type of player that needs to be in a certain rhythm to be at his best. With Nash balancing the offense (and hopefully Dwight replacing Bynum's fatass in the paint) I fully expect Pau to be on his game again.

#54 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,174 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 07:00 PM

Pau is an elite defensive rebounder. Just because Kevin Love racks up a lot of numbers on a lottery team doesn't mean he's a better player (certainly not a better defender - is this even debatable?) than Pau. Kevin Love has never even played in a playoff game. I respect his game and he's a good 3-point shooter but he's not the best PF in basketball.

He's had two off-seasons, but that doesn't discredit his whole body of work and ability (he's in his prime at 32). A lot of that wasn't his fault - he played out of position all of last season, Mike Brown is a horrible offensive coach, and he's the type of player that needs to be in a certain rhythm to be at his best. With Nash balancing the offense (and hopefully Dwight replacing Bynum's fatass in the paint) I fully expect Pau to be on his game again.

And your excuse for why he still sucked in Phil's system before Brown got there that he was supposed to excel at in the playoffs? He plays it perfect for 2 seasons and then for some reason sucks in the playoffs that last Phil Jackson year as STILL the 2nd offensive option.

So tell me, why did he suck there? Did Phil suck and play him wrong too?

Edited by Majesty, July 29, 2012 - 07:00 PM.

#55 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted July 29, 2012 - 07:02 PM

Even if hes on a lottery team, he usually out rebounds the guys on the other team, are we ignoring that fact?

#56 Cato

Cato

Rookie

• 432 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 07:06 PM

Pau and Phil went to THREE straight NBA finals against hall of fame big men in Howard and KG. That last season was doomed and it certainly wasn't disproportionately Pau's fault. You say Pau "sucked" against Dallas - maybe - but so did everyone else on that team INCLUDING Kobe.

Phil knew how to use Pau, just because Mike Brown is a functioning retard doesn't mean Pau is all of a sudden some terrible player.

#57 Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Guest_MyJohnsonisMagic_*

Posted July 29, 2012 - 07:09 PM

Pau and Phil went to THREE straight NBA finals against hall of fame big men in Howard and KG. That last season was doomed and it certainly wasn't disproportionately Pau's fault. You say Pau "sucked" against Dallas - maybe - but so did everyone else on that team INCLUDING Kobe.

Phil knew how to use Pau, just because Mike Brown is a functioning retard doesn't mean Pau is all of a sudden some terrible player.

Just cuz Mike Brown is an idiot doesn't mean Pau gets off the hook.

#58 Cato

Cato

Rookie

• 432 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 07:09 PM

Even if hes on a lottery team, he usually out rebounds the guys on the other team, are we ignoring that fact?

I'm not saying he's not a good rebounder, but it's not like he's on a different level than Pau. They are both elite rebounders - but just because KL can put up 13 rpg vs pau's 11 doesn't accurately reflect their ability. Maybe Kevin Love will develop into the best PF in the game. But I'm not going to hand him that title before he's ever played in a playoff game when Pau has held his own against the likes of KG and DH12.

#59 Cato

Cato

Rookie

• 432 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 07:12 PM

Just cuz Mike Brown is an idiot doesn't mean Pau gets off the hook.

Actually, to a large extent is does. If you want Pau to be aggressive and effective, you have to put him in a position within the offense where he can do that.

Like I've stated, with Nash being player-coach on offense I don't think it will be a problem anymore. Especially if we get Howard, Pau will have even more room to operate in the low post.

#60 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,177 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 07:13 PM

How many times have we watched Pau get pwned by players that are smaller/shorter than he is? Repeatedly

Pau is going to get rebounds because he's tall, he's long, and he's lanky but his stature does not mean he is an elite rebounder. For one, Pau doesn't even box out sometimes and people seem to forget that rebounding has a lot to do with energy, hustle, and effort...words that I wouldn't dare use to describe Pau Gasol.

Kevin Love has never played in a playoff game? So what? How is that relevant? Look who Pau plays with and who he plays for; Now, look at who Love plays with and who he plays for...

Enough of the blame game and excuses. Pau's regression has nothing to do with him "playing out of position" (he's played at the 4 or 5 his entire career), almost nothing to do with Mike Brown's offense because that doesn't excuse Pau's softness, and lol at that bull[expletive] rhythm excuse. Rhythm my ass! Rhythm has nothing to do with getting bent over repeatedly by opposing teams.

Pau Gasol is GONE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users