• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#1 lakerfandude

lakerfandude

Rookie

• 655 posts
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted July 26, 2012 - 10:03 PM

I wrote something 4 years ago before the 08 Olympics that I felt Kobe was taking illegal substances, HGH, etc.. He lost 20 lbs just before those games. At that point I found it a little odd, and let my mind go to work wondering why. He gained weight during the previous NBA off seasons so he could be bigger and stronger, so why lose weight just for the Olympics? What would be accomplished by doing that? When I made that thread, people thought I was crazy and that i was just a Kobe hater. I was fine with that, because it was really just a theory I was going on at the time, and didn't want to believe it myself.

I was just thinking, the Olympics tests for every single PHD out there. If an athlete is on such drugs, and they stop, they lose alot of weight. It's common knowledge. Anyway, years passed and I thought nothing of it. Kobe gained his weight back and all was good, until a couple of days ago. It has been reported here and everywhere that Kobe has lost 16 lbs going into this years Olympics. I started thing again. WTF? Kobe always seems to have the same weight every year, if not more, before every NBA season, but when it comes to the Olympics, he all of a sudden loses a significant amount of weight. It's not 5 or 6 lbs mind you, it's 16 to 20 lbs respectively.

The bottom line is that the Olympics do drug tests far more advanced than the NBA does. The NBA has really never been into testing for steroids or HGH. To me, if an athlete is on HGH and wants to play in the Olympics, they better stop using, because they will be caught. What happens when someone stops such drugs? They lose weight. What has Kobe done before the last 2 Olympics that he has never done prior to any NBA season? He lost weight. Coincidence? I don't think so.

If any of your are unbiased, you will see what I am saying, if you are a fanatic of Kobe no matter what, you will cringe at this and rage all over me. I'm OK with that. I will still stick to my opinion. To me, there is no explanation other than this that would make me understand why Kobe would lose so much weight before each Olympic games he's played in. If he doesn't lose weight prior to any NBA seasons, then he shouldn't lose weight prior to the Olympics. if it was just once, maybe, but twice? I don't think so....

Edited by lakerfandude, July 27, 2012 - 05:03 PM.

#2 McRevis

McRevis

Rookie

• 39 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 26, 2012 - 10:06 PM

I honestly don't care

#3 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 26, 2012 - 10:09 PM

I remember seeing that Kobe was trying to lose weight last summer, because of the knee. I'm assuming he's still dead-set on that this summer...makes a ton of sense.

#4 Bulldog

Bulldog

Rookie

• 174 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted July 26, 2012 - 10:10 PM

interesting... do u have any proof he lost weight in 2008? Im a big Kobe fan and follow everything but I dont remember him losing 20 pounds in 08

#5 Source24/

Source24/

Rookie

• 80 posts
  • Fan Since:The moment Kobe took flight in the 96 dunk contest.

Posted July 26, 2012 - 10:13 PM

It is the same reason that a marathon runner and a sprinter have different body types. The Olympics has Kobe play a specific role over an intense 4 weeks of play (Primarily as a ball defender on the wing and a facilitator up top) Compare that to the role he has over the grind of an 82 game season with the playoffs as well (In this case he plays in the post and needs to take a beating over a longer period of time). Right now he has the build of a soccer player, leaner and faster and when the NBA season starts he bulks up using very specific nutritional supplements, diets, and exercise to have an NBA ready body.

I am in medical school right now and I have dealt with individuals where there is significant weight loss of this type while paying attention to the muscles and sections of the body that need to be used. With the way that Kobe's knees are holding up, he has to compensate for the effects of wear and tear on his meniscus in his knee and simultaneously retain lateral quickness.

This is natural and I highly doubt that it has anything to do with HGH, there would be far more noticeable effects due to the 191 amino acids found in HGH that would be suddenly removed from the body. The Olympics test heavily, and it takes HGH around 1 month to stop leaving traces, but the effects on health last for over 6 months. The timing doesn't make sense. This is natural weight loss from a change in diet and workout regimine. He would be suffering from hyperglycemia, he would have fluid in his knees due to edema, his natural circadian rhythm would be off and a whole host of other things if he just stopped taking HGH, and wouldn't be able to play in the Olympic

The only way that you could prove this is through his natural process of aging and how it progresses as he nears the age of 50 or so. If there was heavy HGH use now there there would be certain health risks involved that would really begin showing at that age.

Edited by Source24/, July 27, 2012 - 05:43 AM.

Posted Image
:: Deviantart | Facebook ::
"Source24designs"
Someday I will have nothing to lose. I cannot wait for that day.

#6 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,126 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 10:15 PM

Honestly I don't care either way. Just like I don't care about steroids in baseball or football
Posted Image

#7 lakerandone

lakerandone

Rookie

• 70 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted July 26, 2012 - 10:19 PM

OMG! He lost weight! He must be on drugs! There can't be any other explanation! Lol

• 40,400 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 10:23 PM

Well, for what it's worth, he is close friends with A-Rod. That might be a tad concerning regarding this.

yo.

#9 viision11

viision11

Off The Bench

• 1,604 posts
  • Name:Reid Ponce
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted July 26, 2012 - 10:32 PM

Trololol

#10 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,680 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted July 26, 2012 - 10:36 PM

What you do have to understand also is that Kobe is a professional athlete who basically spends anywhere from 4-10 hours a day in a gym or some sort of athletic facility. I think if Kobe wanted to lose or gain 15 or so pounds in the stretch of 6-8 weeks, it's really possible. Especially considering the trainers and the nutritionists that these athletes have the money to pay for, I think it's possible. Not to mention Kobe's extreme work ethic :whistle:

#11 lakerfandude

lakerfandude

Rookie

• 655 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 10:39 PM

interesting... do u have any proof he lost weight in 2008? Im a big Kobe fan and follow everything but I dont remember him losing 20 pounds in 08

I was wrong, it was in 07, but check out the link at the bottom of this post.
I'm trying.I'm using google. I wrote my original thread off of articles during that season. Here is one link you can look at that talks about his weight loss during those Olympics. It's quite compelling. The weight loss was pretty incredible. Check it out, it's from Inside Hoops.:::

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50169

Edited by lakerfandude, July 26, 2012 - 10:49 PM.

#12 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,280 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted July 26, 2012 - 10:43 PM

Looking foward to what RayRay thinks

#13 lakerfandude

lakerfandude

Rookie

• 655 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 10:44 PM

What you do have to understand also is that Kobe is a professional athlete who basically spends anywhere from 4-10 hours a day in a gym or some sort of athletic facility. I think if Kobe wanted to lose or gain 15 or so pounds in the stretch of 6-8 weeks, it's really possible. Especially considering the trainers and the nutritionists that these athletes have the money to pay for, I think it's possible. Not to mention Kobe's extreme work ethic :whistle:

True, but can you explain why he only seems to lose weight when he is playing on the Olympics? He trains so much harder for the Olympic games than he does for the NBA? The last I've seen, he's never done anything like this prior to an NBA season, in fact he likes to get bigger and stronger before every training camp. Why does he only lose weight for the Olympics? It'as happened twice now. 20 lbs in 08 and 16 lbs this year. Do you have an explanation I can actually chew on??

#14 lakerfandude

lakerfandude

Rookie

• 655 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 10:47 PM

Here is a quote and statement from the 1st Olympics he was in::

"His competitive juices are really flowing, and that's indicative of where he is," said Colangelo, who said Bryant told him he had dropped 19 pounds since the NBA season ended while getting in shape for his first summer with the national team.

"Kobe is in the best state of mind you could want a player to be in. I think we're catching him just right. We look at his toughness and his ability to be a big factor with this group," Colangelo told ESPN.com.

#15 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted July 26, 2012 - 10:55 PM

Unbelievable...

#16 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted July 26, 2012 - 10:57 PM

The NBA's not dumb. They do random drug tests during the year. I remember reading a while back that Kobe has been subject to these and he's passed.

• 40,400 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 11:00 PM

Yep, it's the offseason alright.

yo.

#18 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted July 26, 2012 - 11:03 PM

Yep, it's the offseason alright.

Wasn't expecting these threads for a couple weeks.

#19 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted July 26, 2012 - 11:05 PM

:facepalm:
htCCl0m.png

#20 lakerfandude

lakerfandude

Rookie

• 655 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 11:18 PM

So Kobe lost 20 lbs before the last Olympics and 16 lbs before this years Olympics. So he's never done this before an NBA season as far as I remember. That doesn't mean anything. He just likes losing weight when it comes to the Olympics for some reason.. Why would anybody ever question that, lol?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users