• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 23, 2012 - 07:25 AM

The NCAA has hit Penn State with a $60 million sanction, a four-year football postseason ban and a vacation of all wins dating to 1998, the organization said Monday morning.

The career record of Joe Paterno will reflect these vacated records, the NCAA said.

Penn State must also reduce 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period.

The NCAA revealed the sanctions as NCAA president Mark Emmert and Ed Ray, the chairman of the NCAA's executive committee and Oregon State's president, spoke at a news conference in Indianapolis at the organization's headquarters.

"In the Penn State case, the results were perverse and unconscionable," Emmert said.

"No price the NCAA can levy with repair the damage inflicted by Jerry Sandusky on his victims," he said, referring to the former Penn State defensive coordinator convicted of 45 counts of child sex abuse last month.

The NCAA said the $60 million was equivalent to the average annual revenue of the football program. The NCAA ordered Penn State to pay the penalty funds into an endowment for "external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university."

With the wins from 1998-2011 vacated, Paterno moves from 409 wins to 298, dropping him from first to 12th on the winningest NCAA football coach list. Penn State will also have six bowl wins and two conference championships erased.

The Penn State athletic program will also be put on a five-year probation and must work with an athletic-integrity monitor of NCAA's chosing.

"There is incredible interest in what will happen to Penn State football," Ray said at the news conference. "But the fundamental chapter of this horrific story should focus on the innocent children and and the powerful people who let them down."

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=8191027

#2 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA

Posted July 23, 2012 - 07:32 AM

Wow.

Posted Image

#3 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 7,165 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted July 23, 2012 - 08:52 AM

Justice

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#4 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,175 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 23, 2012 - 09:11 AM

Probably should have been stiffer penalties

Pau Gasol is GONE

#5 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,020 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted July 23, 2012 - 10:17 AM

Ouch

#6 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,937 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 23, 2012 - 10:53 AM

Yea because the players are the ones that covered up sanduskys actions...

The students there are who really suffers. Going to Penn state on a football scholarship used to be a dream that many athletes would love to obtain, now its a terrible thing, and for what? All because the hirearchy of Penn state screwed up?

Justice was served with sanduskys arrest and the guilty verdict. Then they decided to kill Joe Pa's legacy like that, on top of ruining at least for the moment a bunch of student athletes lifes. What they should do is make the individuals responsible for this pay not the student body. Instead of placing fines on the school and student scholarships they should put them on the people that were incharged and covered it up, not making these kids pay for it.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#7 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,175 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 11:01 AM

Yea because the players are the ones that covered up sanduskys actions...

The students there are who really suffers. Going to Penn state on a football scholarship used to be a dream that many athletes would love to obtain, now its a terrible thing, and for what? All because the hirearchy of Penn state screwed up?

Justice was served with sanduskys arrest and the guilty verdict. Then they decided to kill Joe Pa's legacy like that, on top of ruining at least for the moment a bunch of student athletes lifes. What they should do is make the individuals responsible for this pay not the student body. Instead of placing fines on the school and student scholarships they should put them on the people that were incharged and covered it up, not making these kids pay for it.

As statements go, a $60 million fine, 40 scholarships, a four-year bowl ban and 112 vacated wins is right up there with the Magna Carta. The presidents put down new stakes on their property line. They are in charge. The importance of that principle supersedes any other consideration. If the Penn State players want to play in a bowl, they can leave their coaches and their classes and their friends and go somewhere else (this case may be unprecedented, but as usual in the NCAA model, the current Penn State coaches and players are the victims of their predecessors' actions).

I understand your sentiments though. But what else was the NCAA supposed to do in light of what happened at Penn St?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#8 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,272 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted July 23, 2012 - 11:39 AM

I think these students shouldn't be penalized for what another grown man did, so in my opinion they shouldn't have been a 4 year bowl banned. With that being said 'I think the Vacated losses for Joe Pa should only been from the time Sandusky was coaching. For what Joe Pa did though by covering up the scandal I think it was justice for them to remove the statue

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#9 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,175 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 04:43 PM

I looked at a poll on Sportsnation and most think the penalties are just right

Pau Gasol is GONE

#10 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,194 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted July 23, 2012 - 04:55 PM

All because of some [expletive]
Some homosexual deviant...
Some screwed up pervert...

Rather then attacking homosexuality, the media attacks and lynches a legend, defaces a great man...

This happen because of homosexuality.
People being to polite in there handeleing of it.

If Penn state would have just booted the homo at first notice, they would have been lambasted by homo groups.
Instead they tried to understand him. Tried to understand his homo dementia

When something is wrong, you need to point it out as wrong, otherwise, that illness of insanity and illogic can gestate and come back as something even worse.

You want to know how to settle this...
One way ticket to Tehran for Sandusky, and let the mullas know what he does with boys...

It disgusts me to see a great man besmirched because of some filthily [expletive], and our society refusing to talk about the real issues at hand here

#11 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,175 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 04:59 PM

Joe Pa knew what was going on and he didn't do anything

Pau Gasol is GONE

#12 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 07:53 PM

Joe Pa knew what was going on and he didn't do anything

Exactly.

People need to stop with this out cry over Paterno because of what he did as a coach. This man knew of these allegations and not only stayed quiet about it.... he still allowed him to be part of the program, which was HIS program!

#13 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,937 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 23, 2012 - 08:20 PM

Exactly.

People need to stop with this out cry over Paterno because of what he did as a coach. This man knew of these allegations and not only stayed quiet about it.... he still allowed him to be part of the program, which was HIS program!

He did report it to his higher ups and that was all he was obligated to do. From a morale stand point it sounds pretty [expletive]ed up, but he did what was needed for him. This scandal killed that man and his legacy.

On top of this people saying what should they do, they should punish the people that was involved, criminal charges and civil suits. Not taking money away from kids that need it to go to college. I dont see how taking away opportunity and money from kids that need it is this so called "justice". I know that the students are a part of the school, but you are affecting their life in such a big way, for something they didnt know, didnt do, and had no hand in. Take out civil suits on the people that were involved and had a hand on it and the cover up. They lost their jobs didnt they? Their not making their money are they? They arent going to find a job with the same pay wage and superiority in a while and maybe never again will they? Sounds like justice has already been served, adding in penalties to the school that has got rid of everyone that had a hand in this makes no sense. Thats like punishing a younger brother for what the big brother did just because he came after him. Like I said the kids and student athletes suffer the most, when they had NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. I dont see how anyone can think them being punished is justice in any sense of the word, its the arbitrary sanctions that are actually an injustice to the school and their students.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, July 23, 2012 - 08:23 PM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#14 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted July 23, 2012 - 09:59 PM

This.

I heard the Cardinal and Gold would look good on you, Silas Redd.

#15 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,175 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 06:03 PM

Whoa

http://sports.yahoo....wca.MD0GC0cvrYF

Pau Gasol is GONE

#16 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,175 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 06:06 PM

Penn State should keep the Joe Paterno statue. Just move it so he is looking the other way.

http://twitter.com/Rosenberg_Mike/statuses/223433287190851586

Pau Gasol is GONE

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users