• Please log in to reply
321 replies to this topic

#101 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,099 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 06:10 PM

3. The Avengers: Dark of the Moon.

So you have to be a total [expletive] not to see some of the obvious parallels between Marvel's Avengers and Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon. How? Well the final battle says it all-a large, brutal alien force comes through a portal, raining destruction upon one of America's largest cities while some big time super heroes attempt to stop them, then eventually they start to defeat and push back these mindless aliens and shot a bomb through the portal, thus destroying the Aliens' home world. Before I get trolled by some ignorant fanboy, I'd like to say that Marvel's Avengers is by far the better movie, and in no way did it copy Dark of the Moon from start to finish. There's a better plot, relevant characters, and a great pay off in the end. I just couldn't shake the feeling that I was watching a better version of Transformers 3 in the final battle. The only thing Michael Bay's movie has over the Avengers is that the special effects in his movie are more polished than this year's Superhero assembly.

In the end, Marvel's Avenger's raises the bar back up to the First Iron Man, even though in my humble opinion it falls short of Jon Faveru's masterpiece, The Avengers packs a powerful punch and its the best way to kick off the summer since the Star Trek reboot. I loved it. I'd give it a solid A. Each of the actors brought their A game and the final 25 minutes were spectacular.

Unfortunately, however, this will be the last great marvel movie we will see for quite some time....

Why? Yes, this movie may have raised the bar, I highly doubt Iron Man 3, Cap 2, Thor 2, or any of the Hulk sequels will ever touch the heights of this year's Marvel's Avengers. and I seriously doubt the sequel to this movie will be as good as it was. With Disney involved, the Avengers may be the next Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy-with the first one blowing people away and the next two sending off a tired and formulaic vibe.

That's it for me. So I wanna know your positive and negative things you found in the Avengers. Comment and let me know!

this is from a review and its exactly how i feel. the climax and plot was basically transformers 1 and 3 combined. but it was done well and had 3 awesome performances. but to ignore the similarities because its the "avengers" and the other is "transformers" is being blind for no reason

i'm not saying the movie is bad. i've never said this. i love avengers. every second of it. start to finish. but it was essentially a better version of transformers 3 at the end of the day
Posted Image

#102 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted September 13, 2012 - 06:12 PM

DKR was slow and broing at times but a great movie.
Posted Image

#103 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,099 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 06:15 PM

Never been a huge superman fan either.

Got Avengers blu-ray on pre-order from amazon. Haven't seen it but really want to.

Even though I haven't seen the avengers tho, I have a feeling i'll share a lot of the sentiments last stand has talked about when comparing TDKR vs Avengers.

I'm sure i'll enjoy the [expletive] out of the avengers when I get it, I like the cast, heard the action is amazing, and have overall heard nothing but good things, but like laststand I like character driven movies, with a deeper message, etc.

actually avengers is partly character driven which allows it to succeed.

the big thing about TDKR for me was the payoff. if you followed begins, TDK and really understood the messages, themes, and character motivations, and through all of that understanding you grew to care about the characters then TDKR was rewarding. it packed an emotional punch

that was the difference for me. i felt various different emotions throughout TDKR. avengers i only felt 1. excitement. i was never in suspense, never choked up, never anything but excited.

i can honestly say i've felt emotion on a large scale in movies. Inception, TDKR, TDK, jurassic park, blue valentine, midnight in paris, warrior, lost in translation, Kill Bill Vol. 2

from the top of my head, though i'm probably missing something
Posted Image

#104 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,099 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 06:21 PM

DKR was slow and broing at times but a great movie.

let me guess. the middle part after bruce is put into the prison. thats not for everyone. it's an old cinema style. its a climax setup. different directors handle it differently. avengers for example had a very short climax setup. it was only about 15 minutes. TDKR went with a longer set up. some people like it shorter some people like the longer set up. i don't mind either way.

i think the avengers style worked better with that movie because the movie was built on its pace. constantly fast paced, TDKR was built around a theme of falling and rising and the pain the arises from that fall.

can't really portray the fall, pain, and eventual rise in a short time
Posted Image

#105 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,110 posts
  • Name:Ray Donovan
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 13, 2012 - 06:47 PM

Oh, alright.

Well I also appreciate good-above average acting, and Bale, Caine and Freeman are amongst my favorites all time. Not to mention Gary Oldman. Throughout the trilogy, i've felt like the acting in these films has always been above average. Especially for a superhero film.

Oh and nothing to do with this discussion, but who does Cobie Smulders portray in the Avengers? Always liked her in How i met your Mother, and I think she's kinda hot. Can't imagine her playing a huge role in a movie like that.

#106 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,099 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 07:01 PM

Oh, alright.

Well I also appreciate good-above average acting, and Bale, Caine and Freeman are amongst my favorites all time. Not to mention Gary Oldman. Throughout the trilogy, i've felt like the acting in these films has always been above average. Especially for a superhero film.

Oh and nothing to do with this discussion, but who does Cobie Smulders portray in the Avengers? Always liked her in How i met your Mother, and I think she's kinda hot. Can't imagine her playing a huge role in a movie like that.

she plays maria hill. she has a huge role in the movie. surprisingly. she's in like 75% of the movie.

i think nolans batman series has been filled with fantastic acting from oldman, caine, freeman, hardy, ledger, hathaway, neeson, murphy. Bale was really good in begins, kind of meh in TDK, but came back with a vengeance in TDKR. he was great in TDKR. finally played the role of batman to his best abilities. TDK he just didn't compete with ledger. the interrogation scene was a perfect example. ledger ran circles around him

one of the best acted trilogies in history IMO.
Posted Image

#107 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted September 13, 2012 - 07:18 PM

that doesn't make him the most popular. popularity is defined by sales. if something is popular it'll sell. superman isn't popular

that kid in highschool who is weird as hell and everyone knows who he is doesn't make him popular. it makes him recognizable. 2 completely different things

I think average ppl who don't really care about comic books will say Superman is one of their favorites just because he's so recognizable and something thats so ingrained in their pysche. Honestly most ppl do not really care or know a lot about Iron man the character they just like the movie.

I do agree that right now Superman is less popular than he was in the past I just do not think Iron man has surpassed Superman in popularity, 2 blockbuster movies is not gonna be enough for the average person.

#108 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,099 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 07:22 PM

I think average ppl who don't really care about comic books will say Superman is one of their favorites just because he's so recognizable and something thats so ingrained in their pysche. Honestly most ppl do not really care or know a lot about Iron man the character they just like the movie.

I do agree that right now Superman is less popular than he was in the past I just do not think Iron man has surpassed Superman in popularity, 2 blockbuster movies is not gonna be enough for the average person.

i disagree. popularity when talking about superheroes is biggest with movies and cartoons. comics are a small minority of people compared to general audiences. so if you asked people for their favorite superheroes you'll get batman, spiderman and iron man

i'm sure of it. iron man is a more popular guy right now. his movies reach millions upon millions. therefore he'll be in peoples heads
Posted Image

#109 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 07:56 PM

i disagree. popularity when talking about superheroes is biggest with movies and cartoons. comics are a small minority of people compared to general audiences. so if you asked people for their favorite superheroes you'll get batman, spiderman and iron man

i'm sure of it. iron man is a more popular guy right now. his movies reach millions upon millions. therefore he'll be in peoples heads

I see where your coming from but I just see as ppl seeing the Iron movies as good and like them but not really caring about Iron Man the character. I just think Superman is too iconic for him to be replaced by Iron Man in popularity so soon.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one

#110 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,578 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted September 14, 2012 - 07:02 AM

not arguing the similarities, the acting and execution of the story is what puts avengers in another league

Posted Image

#111 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is Bad For Chemistry

• 6,961 posts
  • Name:Walter Black
  • Fan Since:Breaking Bad
  • Fav. Laker:I am the danger

Posted September 15, 2012 - 11:17 AM

Poll Results: 'The Dark Knight Rises' Rules the Summer
Posted Image

Warner Bros.

The results of our epic summer movie poll are in and with nearly 20,000 votes, your choice is clear: "The Dark Knight Rises" is officially the top film of the summer of 2012.

And it wasn't even close, with "The Dark Knight Rises" winning Best Movie over "The Avengers" by a count of 63 percent to 20 percent and Best Action Movie over "The Avengers" by a final tally of 69 percent to 25 percent. Plus, star Tom Hardy won Standout Male Star by an overwhelming margin of 75 percent to 9 percent over second place finisher Andrew Garfield, while Anne Hathaway won Standout Female Star 65 percent to 13 percent over Garfield's "Amazing Spider-Man" co-starEmma Stone.

In fact, it probably would have been a clean sweep for "The Dark Knight Rises" if not for the fact that it wasn't eligible in several categories. That was good news for "Moonrise Kingdom" (which easily won Best Indie with 65 percent of the vote), "Ted" (which edged out "Moonrise Kingdom" for Best Comedy 44 percent to 40 percent), "The Mortal Instruments" (which, thanks to the book series' ever-building fanbase and some support from the author herself, ran away with the Most Anticipated Summer Movie of 2013 with 79 percent of the vote) and "Savages" (which provided the poll's biggest surprise by winning, well, the Biggest Surprise category over "Magic Mike," 41 percent to 27 percent).

And there was no chance, of course, of "The Dark Knight Rises" even being nominated in categories like Worst Movie, which Adam Sandler's "That's My Boy" won over "Battleship" by a margin of 39 percent to 22 percent, or Biggest Disappointment, which saw "The Bourne Legacy" top a virtual four way tie with "Dark Shadows," "Rock of Ages" and "Prometheus."

Here are the complete results:

Posted Image

Marvel/Disney

BEST MOVIE
"The Dark Knight Rises" – 63%
"The Avengers" – 20%
"The Amazing Spider-Man – 8%
"Ted" – 4%
"Magic Mike" – 3%
"Moonrise Kingdom" – 1%

STANDOUT MALE STAR
Tom Hardy in "The Dark Knight Rises" – 75%
Andrew Garfield in "The Amazing Spider-Man" – 9%
Channing Tatum in "Magic Mike" – 7%
The Hulk in "The Avengers" – 7%
Mark Wahlberg in "Ted" – 1%
Josh Brolin in "Men in Black 3" – 1%

STANDOUT FEMALE STAR
Anne Hathaway in "The Dark Knight Rises" – 65%
Emma Stone in "The Amazing Spider-Man" – 13%
Charlize Theron in "Snow White and the Huntsman" and "Prometheus" – 12%
Noomi Rapace in "Prometheus" – 7%
Princess Merida in "Brave" – 3%
Blake Lively in "Savages" – 1%

Posted Image

Universal

BEST COMEDY
"Ted" – 44%
"Moonrise Kingdom" – 40%
"The Dictator" – 6%
"Safety Not Guaranteed" – 5%
"The Campaign" – 5%

BEST ACTION
"The Dark Knight Rises" – 69%
"The Avengers" – 25%
"The Expendables 2" – 3%
"The Amazing Spider-Man" – 2%
"The Bourne Legacy" – 1%
"Men in Black 3" – 1%

BEST INDIE
"Moonrise Kingdom" – 65%
"Beasts of the Southern Wild" – 11%
"Safety Not Guaranteed" – 9%
"Searching for Sugar Man" – 5%
"Celeste and Jesse Forever" – 5%
"Ruby Sparks" – 5%

Posted Image

Universal Studios

BIGGEST SURPRISE
"Savages" – 41%
"Magic Mike" – 27%
"Men in Black 3" – 20%
"Katy Perry: Part of Me" – 8%
"Hope Springs" – 5%

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT
"The Bourne Legacy – 23%
"Dark Shadows" – 23%
"Rock of Ages" – 22%
"Prometheus" – 22%
"Snow White and the Huntsman" – 10%

WORST MOVIE
"That's My Boy" – 39%
"Battleship" – 22%
"Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" – 21%
"Total Recall" – 9%
"The Watch" – 9%

MOST ANTICIPATED SUMMER MOVIE OF 2013
"The Mortal Instruments" – 79%
"Iron Man 3" – 10%
"Man of Steel" – 6%
"Star Trek 2" – 3%
"World War Z" – 1%
"Pacific Rim" – 1%

Source

Edited by Mr Terrific, September 15, 2012 - 11:18 AM.

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#112 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,099 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 12:28 PM

My percentages wouldn't be the same but I agree. Mine would be avengers around 40 and TDKR around 50

I saw both movies 3 times. I'd say avengers was amazing the first time, really fun the 2nd time, still fun the 3rd time but I yawned a couple times because some of the stuff wasn't the same anymore

TDKR got better with each viewing. I found new stuff each time and it would be like a first viewing all over again

But a couple questions about the poll. How many voted(arguably the most important question when discussing any poll) and why would anyone Consider mortal instruments more anticipated over man of steel and iron man 3, oh ya and Star trek 2

Hell world war z is a brad Pitt movie and pacific rim is guillermo del toro

All of those 5 movies are much more anticipated by me by a long shot

Star trek 2 being a distant 1st.
Posted Image

#113 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 6,961 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 11:36 AM

Hollywood's 10 Best Reboots

NUMBER ONE:

Batman Begins

The first Batman movie to keep the focus largely on Bruce Wayne's transformation into a force that can keep the superstitious and cowardly criminals of Gotham City at bay benefits from director Christopher Nolan's unique take on the material. Grounding this Batman in a very real and gritty world raises the stakes that were previously hinged on quip-happy villains and busy plots. Nolan's fearlessness when it comes to fracturing time and cross-cutting between various endgames reinforces his movie's theme of fear, and gives us a comic book movie that warrants being called a "film."

Treating Batman like a real person also made him a greater threat; for the first time, he was scary on screen - see the whole "Swear to me!!!" scene above as proof. No Burton goth, no Schumacher nipples. Batman Begins eradicated the stench left behind by the last two Bat-films. No other reboot on this list had more work to do to redeem their franchise than Batman Begins, which has become the template for all subsequent movie reboots.

Source

Edited by Mr Terrific, September 22, 2012 - 11:37 AM.

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#114 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted September 22, 2012 - 11:57 AM

best action? Batman had like 3 action scenes?
Posted Image

#115 Twenty_Four

Twenty_Four

Rookie

• 246 posts
  • Fav. Laker:black mamba

Posted September 22, 2012 - 12:27 PM

im also surprised , though the first fight with bane and batman without any music was just :rock:

Posted Image

#116 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,099 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 01:09 PM

Opening plane heist scene
Stock exchange
Motorcycle chase
Roof top fight with batman and catwoman
1st bane and batman fight
2nd bane and batman fight
Climax with the chase after the bomb

Off the top of my head. Probably a couple more
Posted Image

#117 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 6,961 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 05:17 PM

Warner Bros. Wins Big in Superman Copyright Battle

Judge rules against the heirs of co-creator Joe Shuster.
Warner Bros. has won a key court battle in its ongoing legal struggle against the heirs of Superman co-creator Joe Shuster over the rights to the Man of Steel.According to Variety, a federal judge ruled today that a 1992 agreement prevents the family of Shuster from "exercising a portion of copyright law that allows authors to recapture their works." U.S. District Judge Otis Wright wrote that "the effort by Jean Peavy, the sister of Joseph Shuster, and her son, Mark Warren Peary, to exercise a so-called 'termination right' was superseded by a 1992 pact made shortly after Shuster's death. In it, Peavy and her brother Frank signed a deal with DC Comics, a unit of Warner Bros., to cover Joseph Shuster's debts and pay her $25,000 a year for the rest of her life. Wright noted in his opinion that DC's then-executive vice president Paul Levitz admonished them that by taking the agreement, they 'would fully resolve any past, present or future claims against DC.' Obviously this ruling is good news for Warner Bros. and DC and their many corporate siblings, who utilize Superman in movies, TV, games, toys and myriad other merchandising. Though, of course, even if Shuster's heirs had won, it seems very unlikely that Superman would've left his longtime home. In all likelihood, it just would've cost Warners and the rest a great deal of money to rent the character from the family.

That said, as The LA Times reported last week, in 2008 a judge ruled in favor of the heirs of Shuster's co-creator Jerry Siegel that they could reclaim control of 50% of the Superman rights owned by Warner Bros. Warners is appealing that decision, with a hearing on that and other claims scheduled for Nov. 5.

source

Edited by Mr Terrific, October 17, 2012 - 05:18 PM.

#118 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 6,961 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 12:28 PM

Posted Image

#119 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 05:52 PM

I thought TDKR was a lot better than the Avengers which I thought was the most overrated movie of 2012 so I agree with those percentages.

I didn't think Ted was that funny it felt like it was trying too hard like how the newer episodes of Family Guy feels to me

Moonrise Kingdome and Beast of the Southern Wind were really good I'm not surprised they topped the Indie poll

But wtf is the Mortal Instruments

Edited by NYCLakerfan, October 18, 2012 - 06:05 PM.

#120 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,065 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 18, 2012 - 06:35 PM

I didn't think Ted was that funny it felt like it was trying too hard like how the newer episodes of Family Guy feels to me

thought I was the only one who noticed that. I just watch the episodes that come on TBS

Pau Gasol is GONE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users