Man Of Steel (2013)

• Please log in to reply
320 replies to this topic

#81 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,071 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 12:56 PM

No way Iron Man is more popular than Superman even if you are right about ppl liking flawed characters. Batman, Spiderman, and Superman are like the iconic american superheroes not Iron man ppl prob like the Hulk and Wolverine over Iron man.

iron man is easily the 3rd highest grossing superhero right now and its not close it goes batman, spiderman, iron man

superman returns made 390 million in total, it flopped

superman isn't popular anymore. people don't enjoy godlike heroes. iron man is easily the 3rd most popular superhero right now

1.2 billion from his 2 movies alone.

batman is at almost 3 billion with the recent 3 movies alone.

spiderman despite lackluster reviews and a ton of skepticism made 750 million
Posted Image

#82 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,013 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 13, 2012 - 01:19 PM

no one has been able to do a good superman movie

no one cares about superman; they only know the name

Edited by Windu, September 13, 2012 - 01:19 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#83 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 13, 2012 - 03:01 PM

iron man is easily the 3rd highest grossing superhero right now and its not close it goes batman, spiderman, iron man

superman returns made 390 million in total, it flopped

superman isn't popular anymore. people don't enjoy godlike heroes. iron man is easily the 3rd most popular superhero right now

1.2 billion from his 2 movies alone.

batman is at almost 3 billion with the recent 3 movies alone.

spiderman despite lackluster reviews and a ton of skepticism made 750 million

Yea the iron man movies did better than a terrible superman movie and superman isn't as popular as he once was but there's no way Iron man is more popular even if his movies grossed more.

Thats like saying in 2008 before the Dark Knight came out that Iron man was more popular than batman because the first Iron man movie made more than Batman Begins.

Those Iron Man movies are just more popular because the movies themselves appeal to more ppl not Iron Man the character, and besides ppl who are really into comic books or Iron man fans the average person knows more about and probably cares more about Superman than any hero besides Spiderman and Batman.

#84 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,071 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 03:31 PM

Yea the iron man movies did better than a terrible superman movie and superman isn't as popular as he once was but there's no way Iron man is more popular even if his movies grossed more.

Thats like saying in 2008 before the Dark Knight came out that Iron man was more popular than batman because the first Iron man movie made more than Batman Begins.

Those Iron Man movies are just more popular because the movies themselves appeal to more ppl not Iron Man the character, and besides ppl who are really into comic books or Iron man fans the average person knows more about and probably cares more about Superman than any hero besides Spiderman and Batman.

Not true because batman 1989 grossed 400 million which when adjusted for inflation is almost 800 million worldwide

Much more than iron man.

Iron man was an origin movie. The hardest to sell. And usually the lowest earner. But it still pulled in double what superman did

Batman begins was different. Relatively unknown director commercially, coming off horrible Schumacher movies.

TDK and TDKR proved that batman is still the most popular superhero. Each grossed a billion. Spiderman has seen 800 Million 3 times out of 4 movies

Iron man hit 600 million both outings

Most popular is what's right now. Maybe if you ask 40-50 year olds you'll get spiderman but nowadays it's all about batman, spiderman, iron man

Superman can make a comeback but it'll have to be with man of steel. If that movie fails I think he's done. I'm not sure Warner will even make another superman movie if this one fails
Posted Image

#85 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,013 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 03:46 PM

Ironman was just a pleasant surprise for me when it came out.

I grew up reading spiderman, xmen, wolverine, venom, and etc. wish I had read more ironman comics

Pau Gasol is GONE

#86 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,071 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 03:57 PM

Ironman was just a pleasant surprise for me when it came out.

I grew up reading spiderman, xmen, wolverine, venom, and etc. wish I had read more ironman comics

I grew up on 2 cartoons. Spiderman and batman the animated series

IMO batman the animated series is the greatest cartoon ever made. I can watch it now and it's still so well done.

Watched x-men as well but my favorite 2 cartoons were spiderman and batman
Posted Image

#87 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 04:00 PM

Not true because batman 1989 grossed 400 million which when adjusted for inflation is almost 800 million worldwide

Much more than iron man.

Iron man was an origin movie. The hardest to sell. And usually the lowest earner. But it still pulled in double what superman did

Batman begins was different. Relatively unknown director commercially, coming off horrible Schumacher movies.

TDK and TDKR proved that batman is still the most popular superhero. Each grossed a billion. Spiderman has seen 800 Million 3 times out of 4 movies

Iron man hit 600 million both outings

Most popular is what's right now. Maybe if you ask 40-50 year olds you'll get spiderman but nowadays it's all about batman, spiderman, iron man

Superman can make a comeback but it'll have to be with man of steel. If that movie fails I think he's done. I'm not sure Warner will even make another superman movie if this one fails

Thats why I said in 2008 prior to the Dark Knight by your logic Iron Man would have been more popular that Batman because that movie grossed more. The fact that Batman did so well in 89 is not relevant because I can bring up how well those Christopher Reeves Superman movies did.

The fact that Iron man did so well out the gate just proves even more that ppl went to see the movie more so because of the movie and not Iron Man if you admit that Iron Man wasn't really popular or well known at the time of the first movie. And that still applies now yea ppl like to watch those Iron Man movies but as a character the average person would say Superman, Batman, and Spiderman are still the most popular.

Maybe younger kids and ppl who are really into Comics prefer Iron Man now but in general Superman is still one of the top most iconic superheroes.

#88 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is Bad For Chemistry

• 6,865 posts
  • Name:Walter Black
  • Fan Since:Breaking Bad
  • Fav. Laker:I am the danger

Posted September 13, 2012 - 04:52 PM

Superman and Mickey Mouse are the two most popular comic book characters in the world. Just because Mickey Mouse isn't in a top grossing movie doesn't mean he isn't popular

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#89 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,071 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 05:30 PM

Superman and Mickey Mouse are the two most popular comic book characters in the world. Just because Mickey Mouse isn't in a top grossing movie doesn't mean he isn't popular

are you making this up. do you have any support. just because they are some of the oldest doesn't mean anything. marlon brando was the most popular actor for a time, he isn't anymore
Posted Image

#90 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 05:42 PM

Superman is like ingrained in our psyche at this point he's apart of our culture you ask random ppl on the street who are the top 3 superheroes and Superman will always be in that category, the movie sales are not a real representation of how popular Superman still is.

#91 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,702 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted September 13, 2012 - 05:43 PM

Superman is overrated never liked him
Posted Image

#92 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,013 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 05:49 PM

I mean, he's superman...he's one of the first of his kind (comics), he's boring, he's generic, he's lame.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#93 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 05:51 PM

I mean, he's superman...he's one of the first of his kind (comics), he's boring, he's generic, he's lame.

I'm not even disagreeing or agreeing with that I just know that most average ppl will consider him still a top 3 superhero

#94 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,522 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted September 13, 2012 - 05:54 PM

just had to chime in to say that none of these last 3 transformers movies were even in the same league w/ the avengers IMO...and i'm likely the biggest transformers fan on this board (of the original series growing up)

just because they had a similar amount of action doesn't mean they were of the same overall quality. Avengers was better for lots of reasons can go into them later if curious, or i'm sure other could explain why

Posted Image

#95 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,013 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 05:56 PM

Like I said, he's the first of his kind. Almost everyone in the world recognizes the name superman but that doesn't mean he's the most popular imo.

I don't think most would choose a Superman movie over Ironman, Spiderman, Avengers, Hulk, and Batman movies.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#96 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,702 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted September 13, 2012 - 05:57 PM

What ny is getting at is superman is the most recognizable superhero of all time a top 3 most recongizable. Of the top of my head i would say batman superman and hulk are top most recognizable
Posted Image

#97 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,013 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 05:57 PM

just had to chime in to say that none of these last 3 transformers movies were even in the same league w/ the avengers IMO...and i'm likely the biggest transformers fan on this board (of the original series growing up)

just because they had a similar amount of action doesn't mean they were of the same overall quality. Avengers was better for lots of reasons can go into them later if curious, or i'm sure other could explain why

the transformers movies are pretty forgettable

Pau Gasol is GONE

#98 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,071 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 05:59 PM

i never said the quality was the same.

i said the final climax of the avengers is identical to the final climax of transformers 3. there is no arguing that point. it is an identical climax. are there minor differences here or there? yes

but the blueprint is the same.
Posted Image

#99 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,071 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 06:01 PM

Superman is like ingrained in our psyche at this point he's apart of our culture you ask random ppl on the street who are the top 3 superheroes and Superman will always be in that category, the movie sales are not a real representation of how popular Superman still is.

that doesn't make him the most popular. popularity is defined by sales. if something is popular it'll sell. superman isn't popular

that kid in highschool who is weird as hell and everyone knows who he is doesn't make him popular. it makes him recognizable. 2 completely different things
Posted Image

#100 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,081 posts
  • Name:Ray Donovan
  • Fan Since:1997

Posted September 13, 2012 - 06:09 PM

Never been a huge superman fan either.

Got Avengers blu-ray on pre-order from amazon. Haven't seen it but really want to.

Even though I haven't seen the avengers tho, I have a feeling i'll share a lot of the sentiments last stand has talked about when comparing TDKR vs Avengers.

I'm sure i'll enjoy the [expletive] out of the avengers when I get it, I like the cast, heard the action is amazing, and have overall heard nothing but good things, but like laststand I like character driven movies, with a deeper message, etc.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users