• 6,864 posts
  • Name:Walter Black
  • Fan Since:Breaking Bad
  • Fav. Laker:I am the danger

Posted July 29, 2012 - 11:06 AM

The real man of steel:

Posted Image

That movie was Hawt Gabbage!

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

• 40,378 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 11:07 AM

^ Still better than Kazaam though.

yo.

#23 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is Bad For Chemistry

• 6,864 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 02:24 PM

Never saw Kazaam

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#24 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,013 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 29, 2012 - 03:31 PM

you're lucky

Pau Gasol is GONE

#25 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 6,864 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 05:36 PM

The New Power Couple: Superman and Wonder Woman
Now we have to get a little geeky here to explain what's going on. DC Comics, the publisher of Superman and Wonder Woman, recently relaunched all their comics, calling them The New 52. This is the 12th issue of a reboot for The Justice League, kind of DC's version of "The Avengers."

Loyal readers might have suspected something like this was coming. As Entertainment Weekly points out, Superman and Wonder Woman have been getting all flirty in recent issues of the new comic. Apparently, they just couldn't fight the feeling anymore.

And this isn't going to be some lame one-off where in the next issue Superman wakes up from a dream and he's still dating Lois Lane. EW quotes writer Geoff Johns: "This is the new status quo," says Johns. He added that the new power couple's relationship will have a big effect on the rest of the DC Universe.

While some folks may be outraged at the idea of Superman and Wonder Woman smooching this isn't the first time they've taken their relationship to a higher plane. In the Batman-centric "The Dark Knight Strikes Again," Superman and Wonder Woman have a daughter named Lara (aka Supergirl) together.

Many EW commenters believe Batman and Wonder Woman would make a better couple, but we think Superman is a good match. These two need a partner who understands what it's like to save the world over and over again. Plus their outfits compliment each other so well.

Source

Edited by Mr Terrific, August 24, 2012 - 05:39 PM.

#26 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 6,864 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 08:37 PM

Posted Image

#27 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 06, 2012 - 09:27 AM

Terrible trailer?

I don't think it's terrible at all! I like the understated feel of it. Good to see something different. I just think it's the character of Superman that doesn't lend itself well to a movie for some reason. Whether its the outfit or the behavior of the character, I don't know. But Superman lacks the personality and grit that most successful comic book movie characters have.

We'll see though, can't be any worse than the Christopher Reeves run of Superman flicks.

#28 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,013 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 10:45 AM

I just think it's the character of Superman that doesn't lend itself well to a movie for some reason. Whether its the outfit or the behavior of the character, I don't know. But Superman lacks the personality and grit that most successful comic book movie characters have.

We'll see though, can't be any worse than the Christopher Reeves run of Superman flicks.

Pretty much

Need a director/producer that can actually make a good superman movie

Pau Gasol is GONE

#29 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,071 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 11:06 AM

Pretty hard to make good superman movies.

People like flawed characters. 3 most popular superheroes?

Batman, spiderman, iron man

All 3 filled with character flaws.

Superman? All powerful, stand up citizen with no real tragic past that he witnessed

So why care. I think Both nolan brothers will either try to ground him, or explore his flaws/outcast him

Superman is not a relatable character, so Nolan probably wrote a way to make him relatable as Nolan knows what makes a great movie
Posted Image

#30 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,324 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted September 06, 2012 - 11:13 AM

Peronally I like what they seem to be doing. The last superman movie sucked cuz it was just to corny. You gotta make these movies really dark like the dark knight movies with batman. Makes them so much better

But since you expect it to be more "dark" and appear more sinister doesn't that kinda make it corny? How long till that "dark" feeling Nolan portrays is just typical and corny?

Just a thought.

Anyways, I'm down to see another Superman try.

Edited by LakersGAFan, September 06, 2012 - 11:27 AM.

#31 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,013 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 11:19 AM

I guess thats the difference betwen batman (and others) and superman. you can make a somewhat "dark" movie with batman because of the comic book history but what in the superman comics is "dark", "semi-realistic", etc?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#32 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,324 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted September 06, 2012 - 11:24 AM

In regards to Batman and the compare/contrast to a Superman movie:
I'm gonna get hell for this but I think Chris Nolans movies were barely about Batman. It highlights the villains more. Batman, even though hes the title character is actually a supporting element in part 2 and 3. Only in BM Begins was he the focal point. In DK and DKR he was just supporting really. Even after the Villains I think Batman wasn't even the 2nd most important character. His hi tech gear was always more of a focal point than he was. But I think that's why its so successful. Maybe Nolan is super smart in knowing society relates more to the villains than everyone else had previously thought.

That being said it would make sense that Nolan plans to make the next SM movie franchise be more about Lex Luther and his sinister ways rather than the goodness and pureness that is Superman. Since thats all considered generic and cheesy now a days.

Edited by LakersGAFan, September 06, 2012 - 11:25 AM.

#33 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted September 06, 2012 - 11:44 AM

I like more emphasis on the villains. That's exactly what made TDK as great as it was. If Nolan didn't focus so much on Ledger's Joker, I don't think I would have been that interested.

Growing up, I never did see Superman truly struggle. In the old Batman movies, you knew beforehand that Batman would save the day, and live, and continue fighting crime. In TDKR, people were under the impression that he was going to die, and assumed that he did eventually die at the end of the movie (for those who didn't know about Bane breaking Batman's back in the comics, they were shocked). To see Batman near death, as he should be every now and then (because he's a detective, not a god)...it just makes sense, and gives him more credibility when he uses his skills to defeat what seems to be the inevitable: death.

Of course, Superman isn't Batman, so I can see where the past movies had trouble with this. The latest installment did a better job at it, with Luther nearly killing him...but it just wasn't put together that well, and the casual viewer really had no story to fall back on. Superman was the good guy, Luther was the bad guy, and that's all there was to it. The small teasers inserted into the movie (ex. Superman's son pushing the piano) were easily forgotten by the time it all ended, with no sense that there would be a Superman 2, but now I'm talking more about that movie than anything else, so I'll stop there.

As far as the trailer goes, I thought it was cool. I saw it in the IMAX the other day (when I went to see TDKR), and him shooting into the sky blew me away...though it was pretty sick. Much better than him floating around with a generic "flying" sound, lol.

#34 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,071 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 02:37 PM

In regards to Batman and the compare/contrast to a Superman movie:
I'm gonna get hell for this but I think Chris Nolans movies were barely about Batman. It highlights the villains more. Batman, even though hes the title character is actually a supporting element in part 2 and 3. Only in BM Begins was he the focal point. In DK and DKR he was just supporting really. Even after the Villains I think Batman wasn't even the 2nd most important character. His hi tech gear was always more of a focal point than he was. But I think that's why its so successful. Maybe Nolan is super smart in knowing society relates more to the villains than everyone else had previously thought.

That being said it would make sense that Nolan plans to make the next SM movie franchise be more about Lex Luther and his sinister ways rather than the goodness and pureness that is Superman. Since thats all considered generic and cheesy now a days.

The villains aren't the main characters. Gotham is. Every movie is about the battle for Gotham. Batman begins felt like it was more batman centered because of the origin story, 2 and 3 felt different because batman was losing the battle for Gotham in each film so naturally there will be more concentration on the villain taking over.

Though the 3rd film was probably the most Bruce Wayne centered in some aspects. The city and Bruce take mirror images of each other and Bruce becomes almost a symbol of the city he's fighting for
Posted Image

#35 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,071 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 02:40 PM

I guess thats the difference betwen batman (and others) and superman. you can make a somewhat "dark" movie with batman because of the comic book history but what in the superman comics is "dark", "semi-realistic", etc?

There can be a lot of realism. What's realistic about spiderman? Yet Peter Parker is very human, has flaws

It's about avoiding perfection, and making superman flawed and actually in danger. Make superman relatable
Posted Image

#36 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 6,864 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 04:43 PM

#37 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 06, 2012 - 05:28 PM

If they focus on internal conflicts Superman would go through if he was real like feeling isolated and like an outcast because he's and alien with this immense power and responsibilities. They can also show the struggles he has to go through dealing with constantly having to keep up that ultimate good guy image, and show him being tempted to kill bad guys and give in to other temptations.

Those are some ways I think they can ground Superman himself to being more relatable, so when ppl see the movie they can say if I had these powers maybe this is how I'd feel too.

And I liek the trailer and the direction the movie seems to be going.

Edited by NYCLakerfan, September 06, 2012 - 05:34 PM.

#38 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 6,864 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 05:42 PM

Posted Image

#39 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,013 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 06:03 PM

There can be a lot of realism. What's realistic about spiderman? Yet Peter Parker is very human, has flaws

It's about avoiding perfection, and making superman flawed and actually in danger. Make superman relatable

As far as making it close as possible to being real (which I don't care about too much cause it's a comic book story anyway) Superman is far more unrealistic than any superhero/villian:

1. He can fly
2. All kinds of super SUPER human abilities (strength, speed of light travel, etc)
3. Invulnerability (pretty much untouchable)

You can make him relateable from an emotional standpoint maybe but it's gonna be hard trying to make a movie in which he's ever really in any danger.

I guess they can take the Thor approach from The Avengers as he seemed "toned down" a little bit.

Edited by Windu, September 06, 2012 - 06:04 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#40 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,071 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 12:19 PM

As far as making it close as possible to being real (which I don't care about too much cause it's a comic book story anyway) Superman is far more unrealistic than any superhero/villian:

1. He can fly
2. All kinds of super SUPER human abilities (strength, speed of light travel, etc)
3. Invulnerability (pretty much untouchable)

You can make him relateable from an emotional standpoint maybe but it's gonna be hard trying to make a movie in which he's ever really in any danger.

I guess they can take the Thor approach from The Avengers as he seemed "toned down" a little bit.

Avengers has backed themselves into a corner. Just like the matrix did. The hulk is too strong. He could beat everyone and everything in the movie. Which is fine, but they have to have a threat greater than hulk in the next one or else the movie will feel empty.

A sense of danger means everything to a superhero movie. It's what has hurt the superman franchise. Early in the avengers when hulk was out of control and Loki was messing with everyone it felt like the avengers were really up against something. In the final battle before hulk gets there you feel like they are outmatched. But once hulk gets there and is in control he seems unbeatable.

It's the same issue with superman. Nobody wants to watch an unbeatable hero. It takes away all of the suspense, all of the emotion, and the action is empty

Action in superhero movies is the best when heroes struggle and have to claw their way to victory

Spiderman vs green goblin
Spiderman vs dr octopus
Batman vs joker
Batman vs bane
Avengers vs each other
Avengers vs chitari(before the hulk got there)

It makes it feel like something's at stake, superman HAS to have that. If they have that and emotional flaws from superman then the movie can really do it well.

Superman also HAS to throw some damn punches, some non-cheesy air battles, some destructive battles. Thats also needed because superman returns had nothing

Edited by last stand 2.0, September 07, 2012 - 12:21 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users