Man Of Steel (2013)

• Please log in to reply
321 replies to this topic

#241 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,205 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 12:05 AM

Alright last stand let me break down in better detail my issues with this movie now that it's not 11 PM, I am VERY critical of this final installment and I'll break down precisely why

i'll give you that.  I have no problem with them borrowing the elements from the No Man's Land, Knightfall and the Dark Knight returns comics in order to do one story, but let me break down what issues I actually have with the film

What I prefer in The Dark Knight over TDKR was the pacing and the portrayal of Batman.

Also, disagree with this if you like but the Batman in TDKR may be pained and all this other stuff but he didn't have to seem the least intelligent of all incarnations.  You can chalk that up to being rusty but let's break down the characteristics of Batman, he is a character that is so smart that he figured out how to kill each and every member of the Justice League "just in case".   One of Batman's best characteristics is his ability to think ahead and access situations from angles no one else could and no matter what Batman we're talking about even the "older" one that appeared in some comics, he was old, but he wasn't an idiot if anything his experience made him even more intelligent and less trusting.

Let's break it down thoroughly.     Selena Kyle breaks into his home and steals his fingerprints to use them for whatever reason which could have a LOT of consequences for him. 

What he does is track her down and take the necklace back.   Does he have her arrested? No.    He loses his fortune on top of the fact that she stole his fingerprints and despite all that he still goes to her and trusts her.   To the point of being lead into a trap as Batman in the first encounter with Bane.    I'm sorry but Batman is MUCH too intelligent to fall for something like that without a backup plan.

I understand what Nolan was doing for storytelling purposes but it is an extreme pet peeve of mine when you have to have a character do something out of character so that you can continue the story along. 

Batman having Selina Kyle steal his fingerprints and go broke because of it among other things wouldn't then go to Selina Kyle and trust her to lead him to Bane and it NOT be a trap and being completely unprepared.  

But nope, it's a trap, he has no plan B, he gets nearly paralyzed, he gets thrown into that hell of a place and barely escapes after much turmoil...

Yet the first thing he does when he gets out is he goes and asks for Selina Kyle's help again. 

Despite the fact she's the reason he went broke.  Despite the fact she double crossed him and caused him to get his back broken.  he STILL trusted her... 

BATMAN would never do that!

One of Batman's strengths and one of his greatest faults is his paranoia and his inability to truly trust someone.   In fact that's why he trained a child Robin and people at a young age, because they are very easy to manipulate and mold into the image he wants them to be in, he also did this with Cassandra Cain whom was molded to be an assassin from childhood, but when Batman got a hold of her he molded her too in the way one would mold a child.   That's how paranoid the guy is.

But in this movie he is double crossed twice and still trusts the girl, not to mention sleeping with *spoilers*  Talia, despite the fact he barely even knew her and there was nothing to imply a romantic spark till that very moment.

Those things like that are part of the reason I don't like this movie.   They dumbed down Batman's character and his intelligence in order to tell the story they wanted to tell, and I didn't like it.    Batman doesn't have to be dumbed down where he falls for the basic okey doke, that doesn't come down to rustiness in my opinion and is my major gripe with this film.  

I'm not going to make fun of the Batman voice or the fact he uses it to talk to himself when Selina Kyle disappears or things like Bane taking Batman to the other side of the world to taunt him in a prison only to fly back to Gotham to set his plan in motion, or how the heck Bruce actually got back to Gothan when it's supposed to be locked down from halfway across the world...

that kind of stuff is in all kinds of movies so it's pointless to complain about small things like that :)

Alright two things, in a movie about the Joker you expect those kinds of talks every moment because Joker is the kind of villain that makes you question these things and he's the kind of villain known for getting inside of your head as well as making people see two sides of the coin so to speak.  

So those kind of talks and mental grasps in a movie about the Joker makes a LOT of sense.

In a movie about Bane...not so much.   Needless to say those "talks" and questionings of morality to me are more fit in a movie about the Joker than a movie about Bane.  But to each their own.

I did listen and I'll give you that.

AND THIS IS MY BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH THIS FILM.

Both Batman and Bruce Wayne are "dead" because of that blast although through different circumstances to the media so they don't put 2 and 2 together.

If Bruce Wayne had faked his own death, he would not.. I repeat WOULD NOT, be in broad daylight in a diner as Bruce Wayne with Selina Kyle where everyone and their mother can see him.

He's the most famous person in the world, his death is something that would be broadcast around the world and millions would know about it.   

Yet as smart and as paranoid as Bruce Wayne is... he would just stroll out to a diner where EVERYBODY can recognize him?? and NOBODY notices?  

Again, I understand why Nolan did this, he wanted to give that kind of an ending and he wanted to give some closure to the whole situation with Alfred and ultimately give Alfred what he wanted.

But I was shaking my head when I saw that scene... it was there to try to give a cap off to the movie but all it did was leave me saying "that...was stupid..." 

The worlds most famous celebrity Bruce Wayne, whom faked his own death is now out in public for the world to see....

And this doesn't register as a problem with you? 

Again it's outside of the Batman character and outside of something Bruce Wayne would actually do.  If Bruce Wayne faked his own death and the news spread around the world, the LAST thing he'd do is be in a diner in broad daylight AS Bruce Wayne who the world just heard died....

Again, it's not in Bruce's character.  But Nolan made it so that he could end the movie that way.  And again, it's an extreme pet peeve of mine when something is written out of character in order to tell or end a story a certain way.  Especially when they do something idiotic like that when they are worldly renowned as probably the most intelligent, calculating and paranoid superhero in comic book history.

So you and I will just have to agree to disagree.   The Batman in the Dark Knight Rises didn't seem like Batman through 70% of the movie with some of the decisions he made ESPECIALLY the decision which was the climax of the movie and the big "triumphant" moment, it just ruined it for me because I thought logically. 

So you and I will have to agree to disagree here.

first of all, selina kyle is supposed to be as cunning as batman is. Second of all Selina Kyle no longer had the prints, what would arresting her do? he had no idea what she was going to do with them. by the time he figured out, when he got the pad from Bane's henchman the deed was done and Lucious Fox said they can prove it was fraud but it would take weeks.

Batman doesn't completely fall into a trap with bane. he was there to fight bane. that was the whole point of that trip. he literally says "take me to bane" the issue he had was that she betrayed him and locked the door. it was a trap, but not a trap in the sense that he was led to bane. 

he went down into the tunnels with every intention of fighting bane. he didn't go down there to reason with him. it was just the betrayal that pissed him off, he was not forced to fight bane. it was a trap in the sense that batman didn't know the door would lock behind him, but his intention going down there was to fight bane.

also remember he had what selina wanted. throughout the movie bruce makes this comparison with himself and selina. it's what attracts him to her. he sees good in her. he says it several times. " there is more to you than that". he believes she's good and she's just trying to live a free life. He can relate to that desire for a fresh start. that's where the trust comes from. she's an inspiration for him. she brings him out of hiding, she shows him that he's not the only one stuck in his life, and because of that finds himself relating to selina kyle.

this batman is not paranoid. he trusts ras al ghul enough to find a flower and climb a mountain, and leave him alive, he trusts gordon enough to let him in on the batman plan, he trusts rachel, he trusts harvey dent, he trusts lucious fox, he trusts john blake

4 out of those people he trusts almost instantly. he sees the good in people. it's what separated him from ras al ghul. both men suffered tragedy, both men wanted justice for criminals, however one saw people as inherently bad and the other saw good. he says it in begins, and restates it in TDK during his last fight with the joker where he essentially tells him that he is alone and gotham is not ugly. he tells it to ras al ghul when he says gotham is not beyond saving

so in fact his treatment of selina kyle is very in character. batman sees the good in people. it's his gift. he turns out to be right about selina kyle does he not. all because he trusted her, because he believed in her

batman's intelligence is not dumbed down. talia was involved with bruce throughout the 8 years in between TDK and TDKR. though they didn't formerly meet often they interacted through business and she was beautiful and as far as bruce was concerned was in the same boat as him trying to improve the world with the eco project that she helped fund. so it wasn't just out of the blue. she earned his trust by funding the project and then saving the project from daggett when he was about to lose it to him and as far as he knew bane

they don't know how bruce died. a lot of people died by being exiled. remember they were killing the rich. the only people that knew bruce was back were selina, lucious, talia

several people. the people of gotham have no way of knowing that bruce survived throughout the bane occupation. 

also terrific handled bruce in broad daylight. he's right bruce was able to ghost his way throughout the east and disappear in begins. nobody is paying attention at lunch, noone is looking for a dead man. eating lunch, sitting at a table in a foreign country is not out there. 

also the how he got back into gotham thing is beaten to death. he literally does the exact same thing in begins, he throws away his wallet and with no money travels accross the world, living on stolen food. sneaking into a city wouldn't be difficult. a city is large and bane didn't have an army surrounding the whole city. he had people guarding the main entrances and they covered the tunnels. bruce has traveled across the world without money before

there is no morality talk in TDKR. the speeches were centered around belief. one of the main themes in batman and the other speeches were centered around pain. the Bane speeches were hope and how hope can increase pain both of the major themes in the movie. no morality talks. 

the two alfred speeches were about bruce separating himself from batman and living a happy life. Bane's speech was about telling bruce his plan and poisoning gothams souls with hope. the doctors speech was about placing that belief back into bruce.

the speeches were important to the growth of the characters.

Posted Image

#242 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,205 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 12:09 AM

well if people found it entertaining...

poor argument when discussing the quality of a movie. incredibly poor argument 

i really enjoyed the movie This Means War. but it's a bad movie. i acknowledge it. it's poorly made, some ridiculous writing, on top of a ridiculous story

but i enjoyed it, found it entertaining.

Posted Image

#243 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,471 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 17, 2013 - 01:44 AM

first of all, selina kyle is supposed to be as cunning as batman is. Second of all Selina Kyle no longer had the prints, what would arresting her do? he had no idea what she was going to do with them. by the time he figured out, when he got the pad from Bane's henchman the deed was done and Lucious Fox said they can prove it was fraud but it would take weeks.

I don't know.. cat burglar with a mile long record, masquerading as a maid, breaking into your safe(not wearing gloves therefore leaving finger prints) stealing your mothers necklace as well as your own finger prints.   If she was brought up on those charges she, because of her record would likely go straight to jail.   Bruce could stop her in a mile second as he obviously already knows her record, the one she's trying to get the "clean slate" to clean.     

Not only could he prove she was the one that stole them, but she'd be going to jail for a long time.  So yeah arresting her would do a lot, and he could have but he didn't.

Batman doesn't completely fall into a trap with bane. he was there to fight bane. that was the whole point of that trip. he literally says "take me to bane" the issue he had was that she betrayed him and locked the door. it was a trap, but not a trap in the sense that he was led to bane. 

he went down into the tunnels with every intention of fighting bane. he didn't go down there to reason with him. it was just the betrayal that pissed him off, he was not forced to fight bane. it was a trap in the sense that batman didn't know the door would lock behind him, but his intention going down there was to fight bane.

Yes he went into the tunnels to fight Bane.  But as nontrusting and as paranoid as Batman is supposed to be.  You would figure he would think to the point of "hmm..what if she betrays me?" 

Batman would ALWAYS have a plan B even if he is betrayed.  He went down there with the plan to fight bane but he had no plan B when he got trapped.  You're telling me Batman wouldn't have the foresight to prepare for someone leading him into a room and locking a door behind him? Or that he'd be dumb enough to actually trust someone he just met that his last memory of was stealing his mothers necklace, his finger prints and not to mention his car?   I think not.  But we'll agree to disagree there.     But honestly I don't think Batman is that stupid.

also remember he had what selina wanted. throughout the movie bruce makes this comparison with himself and selina. it's what attracts him to her. he sees good in her. he says it several times. " there is more to you than that". he believes she's good and she's just trying to live a free life. He can relate to that desire for a fresh start. that's where the trust comes from. she's an inspiration for him. she brings him out of hiding, she shows him that he's not the only one stuck in his life, and because of that finds himself relating to selina kyle.

this batman is not paranoid. he trusts ras al ghul enough to find a flower and climb a mountain, and leave him alive, he trusts gordon enough to let him in on the batman plan, he trusts rachel, he trusts harvey dent, he trusts lucious fox, he trusts john blake

Alright first part.  Yes and even the Batman in the comic books related to Ms Kyle in the comic books and you are dead-on with his attraction to her.

However Batman even with that attraction would never hesitate to stop Selina from breaking the law, nor getting her arrested when it was merited.  Even if he was just using her as a means to an end before planning to have her arrested at the conclusion of their business.

Batman is the guy that's the manipulator, not the one who gets manipulated.  He is a very cold individual, and despite his attraction to Selina never stopped himself from having her arrested when she did wrong and when he didn't it was to use her as a means to an end and THEN arrest her.

But as you said, she was very clever, so she could always escape :)

he trusts al ghul because of the years he spends around him, the fact that al ghul becomes a father figure a mentor and a trainer.   Al Ghul was Bruce's means to an end but was also like a missing father to him, not only that but Bruce saw him as the key to unlock the purpose and understanding he was seeking, and theirs was something that was formed over years of training and companionship.  

That is a vast difference to Selina Kyle whom his fondest memory of was the night she kissed him only to steal his car....

At some point Batman would just go "Alright..I'll have to make plans just in case she betrays me" 

Just as in the comic,  batman knows what she is, she is a catburglar, so even when they FIRST worked together no matter the good he saw in her he always had a backup plan when it came time for the double cross.  Batman is the very definition of preparing for the worst.   He always HOPES for Selina's best, but he always expects her worst.  This Batman on the other hand... sort of is just gonna keep being lead on and lead on and lead on and lead on till she finally does the right thing. But never once gives her a consequence if she would do the wrong thing as he's always playing the game of "Alright you betrayed me, but I can help you get what you want"  *gets betrayed*  "Alright..you betrayed me again.. But I can help you get what you want."  *gets betrayed* .. "alright.. you betrayed me again.. but I'll STILL give you what you want."   *she finally does the right thing* "OH FREAKING THANK YOU...I mean... I knew you had it in you!"    Not very Batman like.  But I digress.

Moving on..

He trusts Gordon because Gordon is his link to the police and he can get answers from him, as well as use him as a means to an end to accomplish what he wants done.  Again Batman is the one in control of this relationship.   Once again, he knows what Gordon is and how to exploit his resources, he's doing the right thing, but at the same time is the one in control. 

In the Dark Knight, he was able to get into crime scenes without having to hide and take whatever evidence he wanted, because of his relationship with Gordon and the fact that he was able to be working with the police.  This was the point of the bat signal.    Had he not formed a relationship with Gordon he wouldn't be able to do these things nor have access to the evidence that police may find without stealing it, and he doesn't want to fight the police and the bad guys, he wants to work with them.  So a relationship with Gordon is necessary and makes his life a lot easier.    Perfect plan really.

He trusts Rachel because he's in love with her and they were childhood friends together and she is his only excuse for a normal life whether or not he actually believes he'll ever have one.  

He doesn't "trust" Harvey Dent.  He counts on Harvey Dent to be the reason he no longer needs to be Batman so he can be with Rachel.   Let's not forget knowing full well that Rachel and Harvey have a relationship he still moves in on her because he feels Harvey is his reason to no longer be Batman which gives him the perfect excuse to finally pursue a relationship and life with Rachel and never once does he assume that she would pick Harvey over him no matter what her and Harvey have built.     Once again he's using people, though under the radar.   Which again, is something Batman WOULD do.

Funny story though, in the movie theater when I saw The Dark Knight, when Rachel kissed Bruce, and then later on when Rachel kissed Harvey dent a few scenes later, there was a mother that had brought her younger daughter to see the movie and she bent over and told her daughter, "you see, that's a slut.  You don't wanna be one of them"  and then went back to watching the movie :laughing:   If I wasn't so involved in the movie I'd have laughed my head off at that comment.   But ultimately Batman was using them both as a means to an end to get the things he wants.   Once again, very in character.

Lucious Fox is the guy that makes the devices that enable him to become Batman,  Why he has to trust the guy and why he uses him is self explanatory.  Let's not forget he initially didn't trust Fox and was never going to tell Fox his plans but Fox figured it out and asked not to be "treated like a fool".  And Bruce needed him to get or use the equipment so..... again self explanatory.

He trusts John Blake to be the next Batman, it was fitting, and if we go by that story Blake already knew Bruce Wayne was Batman but kept it a secret, although earlier on it seemed like he was going to tell Gordon.  But in Blake, Bruce after time saw a replacement after what was done was done.  Which is very understandable as well as an orphan that had gone through the pains he did even if it wasn't underneath the same circumstance.    Similar to a way he felt..actually about Robin, which happens to be Blake's first name.  That's why I said if in the ending Bruce had wound up training him instead of leaving him to fend for himself it would have been more Batman like.     As untrusting as the guy is he'd want the guy to do things RIGHT, so he'd have trained him rigorously to fit his image if he was going to carry the mantle.    he wouldn't just leave him the suit and go "good luck kid."

I agree with you on Batman seeing the good in people.  That's always been a characteristic of the character, but at the same time him seeing the good in people wasn't a precursor to be set up for double crosses every single time.

Batman could see the good in people even if he didn't trust them fully and he always had a backup plan in case they screwed him over.

THIS Batman however seems to automatically assume that these people are going to help them with no backup plan whatsoever.

You're telling me that a guy that is ready with a plan to kill SUPERMAN if need be is going to be tricked by Selina Kyle with no backup plan?    It just.. I guess it doesn't compute in my mind.  That is a characteristics I would figure all Batman's would have and Nolan's shouldn't be exempt.  He can see the good in people without being easily double crossed and tricked.   Like I said, pet peeve.  it may not bother you as much as it bothers me, so we can agree to disagree there :)

I'll let you have the statement on Talia because there are MANY things I could go over about that character ;)  So I'll just leave that be cause we're focusing on the Batman characteristics. 

I'll just say WORST.... DEATH.... EVER and move on ;)

they don't know how bruce died. a lot of people died by being exiled. remember they were killing the rich. the only people that knew bruce was back were selina, lucious, talia

several people. the people of gotham have no way of knowing that bruce survived throughout the bane occupation. 

also terrific handled bruce in broad daylight. he's right bruce was able to ghost his way throughout the east and disappear in begins. nobody is paying attention at lunch, noone is looking for a dead man. eating lunch, sitting at a table in a foreign country is not out there. 

See... I gotta really REALLY disagree with you there.

In Begins it wasn't exactly the same.

He was a college student when he "disappeared" and wasn't really a polarizing figure within the city of Gotham.

But by the events of TDK and TDKR rolled around he was a global ICON.    Everybody in the world knew who he was as well as what he was doing in Wayne Enterprises and he was extremely extremely famous.  Much more famous than he was in Begins when he was a lost soul  and wasn't really doing much in Gotham and prior to leaving was just intent on revenge.  

When he came back to Gotham was when he became that figure. 

The kind of figure that if he died millions upon BILLIONS would know about it.   This was not the lost college student in Begins, this was Bruce Wayne multi billionaire tycoon.  

Who not only has been reported as dead but has left Wayne Manor to become an Orphanage in Alfred's name.

Not to mention his gravestone being at Wayne Manor.

It's huge news.    And everyone around the world would know about it considering what a huge figure he was around the time TDKR rolled around.   

So as I said, I can let the entire rest of the movie go....

But the most famous person in the world, pronounced dead, with left will, whose home has been turned into an orphanage by demand of his will which was active upon death.  Just strolled into a cafe in broad daylight where everybody would recognize him.

You don't have to be looking for a dead man to recognize Bruce Wayne.

If Michael Jackson randomly showed up at a diner somewhere in Europe, how fast do you think it would take before someone recognized him and it becoming WORLD news with thousands upon thousands of pictures being taken?

I'm sorry, I can't buy that excuse.  The guy is freaking Bruce Wayne.  People know who he is.  Strolling around dressing snazzy and looking like Bruce Wayne who is supposed to be dead and just chilling in a diner like it's no big thing was probably one of the most out of character things Bruce would ever do.  

Even if we went all the way back to Batman Begins he WAS a ghost, moving in and out of the world, wasn't half the polarizing figure he was prior but he knew how to keep a low profile and not draw attention to himself.  

He didn't stroll around in diners looking fully like Bruce Wayne for the world to know where he was.

He did the exact OPPOSITE in the Dark Knight Rises when he is a much bigger, much polarizing figure whose death was broadcast as national news as Wayne Manor was turned into an orphanage at the request of his will.

That ending was shoehorned in and does no justice to Bruce Wayne's character.  If anything it made him look like an idiot.  Alfred got his happy ending from dialogue earlier in the movie but it was at the cause of probably the most out of character thing Bruce Wayne ever could have done under those circumstances.

also the how he got back into gotham thing is beaten to death. he literally does the exact same thing in begins, he throws away his wallet and with no money travels accross the world, living on stolen food. sneaking into a city wouldn't be difficult. a city is large and bane didn't have an army surrounding the whole city. he had people guarding the main entrances and they covered the tunnels. bruce has traveled across the world without money before

Yes how much time was it before that nuclear bomb was to go off?

Let's break down the passage of time here...

Bruce has to endure months of rehab in order to get himself back in fighting shape in order to recover from his broken back as well as escape the pit.

He then travels halfway across the world to Gotham by whichever means necessary and somehow one way or another isn't noticed entering on the docks(which would be hard as the sea surrounding Gotham was covered in ice or through the air of a locked down city that apparently no one has been able to escape from. 

It wasn't the same as begins, Gotham wasn't on lockdown and it would have been much more difficult to do especially considering how little formal transportation if any was allowed in that city, not to mention he came halfway across the world to do it.

I don't buy it, I just chalk it up to the basic "transition" that movies do where the guy shows up and you're not supposed to question it.  I'll just insert "he did it cause he's Batman" and move on.

The statements about the speeches though I'll give you :)

Agree to disagree, there's just certain things about that movie that really irk me in terms of batman's character.  I get why people love that movie but imo it was the weakest of the three.   It wasn't a bad movie, it was just the weakest of the trilogy and the one that got farthest away from the characteristics of Batman at some points imo.   But again, just my opinion.

+1 for the conversation :)

Edited by Majesty, June 17, 2013 - 01:49 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#244 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,815 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 17, 2013 - 03:04 AM

movie is not getting good reviews... making a ton of money... even War Z is tracking better...

56% for Superman?

Yikes!!!!

The Dark Knight, another comic book movie, 94%!!! crazy good... might watch that movie when i can... universial acclaim...

56% that's closer to the 41% for batmans movie with tommy lee jones and jim carry...

#245 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,111 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted June 17, 2013 - 03:34 AM

The fight scenes aren't good?

I still haven't seen the movie myself but I'm sensing a pattern because the fight scenes in all the Batman movies are pretty average to below average.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#246 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,471 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 03:40 AM

I still haven't seen the movie myself but I'm sensing a pattern because the fight scenes in all the Batman movies are pretty average to below average.

It really depends on what you're expecting.  It's basically Superman being Superman. There's not much to it other than spectacular special effects and crashing through things. Which is to be expected.  What other kind of fights does Super man go through?

It is Superman after all and not Dragon Ball Z.  

Do tell what you think after you see it though, if you do :)

#247 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,111 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 03:43 AM

Superman would need to fight someone on his level...a god basically. I like to see some good hand-to-hand combat. Thor vs Hulk was solid and truthfully it would take beings like those two to stand up to superman

Pau Gasol is GONE

#248 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,443 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted June 17, 2013 - 04:55 AM

Superman is a brawler
Not a martial artist like batman
I enjoyed the fight scenes, thats the superman i wanted to see
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#249 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,876 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 17, 2013 - 09:26 AM

Superman would need to fight someone on his level...a god basically. I like to see some good hand-to-hand combat. Thor vs Hulk was solid and truthfully it would take beings like those two to stand up to superman

Zod is on his level really, he is a warlord from Krypton so he has all the same abilities as superman. I didnt see this movie though, so idk how true to character Zod was, but he is normally one of the enemies that superman has more of a problem with since he can really go blow for blow with superman.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#250 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,471 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 01:22 PM

Zod is on his level really, he is a warlord from Krypton so he has all the same abilities as superman. I didnt see this movie though, so idk how true to character Zod was, but he is normally one of the enemies that superman has more of a problem with since he can really go blow for blow with superman.

Zod was AWESOME!!! He was the best thing in the movie

#251 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 7,096 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted June 17, 2013 - 02:48 PM

VuZuj06.gif

Edited by Mr Terrific, June 17, 2013 - 02:51 PM.

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#252 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 7,096 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 02:53 PM

6jf.gif

fm.gif

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#253 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,328 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted June 17, 2013 - 03:08 PM

poor argument when discussing the quality of a movie. incredibly poor argument 

i really enjoyed the movie This Means War. but it's a bad movie. i acknowledge it. it's poorly made, some ridiculous writing, on top of a ridiculous story

but i enjoyed it, found it entertaining.

Again you seem to miss context.  Did you go into watching that movie expecting oscar academy award level acting, script development, etc? If you did, i'm sure your thoughts on the movie would be supremely different. If Michael Bay directed the movie to at least be entertaining and it turned out to be, then it ended up being good. The point of watching entertainment *movies/theater fit into that category* is to be entertained, i'd say my money was well spent if I can be entertained and not bored to death. Of course there are certain levels of expectation a movie should have fulfill, but i tend to have low expectation to leave more room to be somewhat surprised than disappointed. If anyone expected Transformers to be a movie franchise of the century then you are fooling yourself.

ap1.png

#254 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,205 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 03:46 PM

Again you seem to miss context. Did you go into watching that movie expecting oscar academy award level acting, script development, etc? If you did, i'm sure your thoughts on the movie would be supremely different. If Michael Bay directed the movie to at least be entertaining and it turned out to be, then it ended up being good. The point of watching entertainment *movies/theater fit into that category* is to be entertained, i'd say my money was well spent if I can be entertained and not bored to death. Of course there are certain levels of expectation a movie should have fulfill, but i tend to have low expectation to leave more room to be somewhat surprised than disappointed. If anyone expected Transformers to be a movie franchise of the century then you are fooling yourself.

Quality is quality. This whole post is just false, you're lucky fido didn't see it or he'd have a heart attack lol
Posted Image

#255 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,205 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 03:48 PM

Actually the movie overall is like a 7.5/10 solid, great at points, kind of bad at others but the fight scenes are incredible. Best I've ever seen in a film

The Zod fight isn't very good, it's just ok

But the other fight scenes are just awe inspiring, by far the best I've ever seen.
Posted Image

#256 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,111 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 07:10 PM

ok, I think I'll go check it out soon

Pau Gasol is GONE

#257 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,876 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 18, 2013 - 09:35 AM

transformers 3 made a billion dollars. transformers 2 made close at 800 million

/argument

Im just pointing out that the critics can say one thing but everyone else can think another thing. If they have such a refined taste why are they so often disagreed with by the majority? Just wanted to show that critic reviews mean nothing because their opinions are their own and often dont reflect how the majority of people feel about a film.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#258 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 7,096 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 09:45 AM

I finally figured out why Superman Returns flopped. The original Superman came out in the 70s. That means Clark Kent grew up in the 50s. Who the hell wants to see a Tentpole movie about a character that grew up in the 50s? I liked that movie at the time, but to most critics it was like they were watching Home Movies

#259 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,205 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 11:57 AM

Im just pointing out that the critics can say one thing but everyone else can think another thing. If they have such a refined taste why are they so often disagreed with by the majority? Just wanted to show that critic reviews mean nothing because their opinions are their own and often dont reflect how the majority of people feel about a film.

They often disagree? Not true

Majority of people are dumb. Didn't a good percentage of the population believe Obama was born in another country.

Again poor argument
Posted Image

#260 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,205 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 12:02 PM

I finally figured out why Superman Returns flopped. The original Superman came out in the 70s. That means Clark Kent grew up in the 50s. Who the hell wants to see a Tentpole movie about a character that grew up in the 50s? I liked that movie at the time, but to most critics it was like they were watching Home Movies

It flopped because it had horrible advertising and was incredibly boring
Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users