#201 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,806 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 15, 2013 - 03:13 PM

Also this is incredibly Ridiculous. A movie critic has a better ability to decide the quality of a movie than you do. They've seen more movies, therefore are far more educated into what makes a quality movie

Yes there are several aspects of a movie that are absolutely individualized especially interpretation as well as enjoyment

However there are definitive aspects of a movie that make it quality or not. As with any art form there are still several parts that are 100% up to he viewer

Interpretation of scenes, enjoyment, how you view style choices

But like I said there are definitive aspects regarding quality in film. Poor writing, poor editing, plot holes, poor pacing

Those are definitive things that a critic is far more equipped to discuss than you

That's like saying listening to a philosophy teacher about philosophy is no different than a homeless man

False. Some people are more educated and therefore their opinions have more depth than yours. Get used to it. I'm not going to walk around and act like I know more about computers than bill gates

Everything you mentioned would be caught on by a 5th grader. Poor acting, really? Anyone with eyes can see that. The other things as well. Your gonna sit there and tell me someones view on a movie is more important than mine because they have a more refine taste for movies? Now that is some bull[expletive]. You cant have a special taste that makes you a better source for a review than anyone else out there that is what I am trying to say. Critics are just people that need to voice their opinion, but at the end of their day their opinion isnt worth two cents. I dont care what film classes you attended or what degree you hold, your view on a movie means nothing to me, all that matters is what I think. 

Steven Spielberg probably would call a bunch of the films I like pieces of crap, so what? Thats my point no ones taste is a substitute for your own. I have no problem with discussing opinions on movies, but if you actually think someone's opinion on a movie holds more weight than your own because their a so called "critic" or they know movies that is just dumb. Its all a matter a preference and no one will have the same exact thought on something as you.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, June 15, 2013 - 03:20 PM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#202 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,098 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 03:33 PM

Again where did I say you should have anyone influence your own opinion
Posted Image

#203 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,617 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 15, 2013 - 05:32 PM

Critics are useless if you don't enjoy discussing movies from an educated perspective. In order to truly discuss something you have to know where other people come from and put your own opinion in the mix

Also this is incredibly Ridiculous. A movie critic has a better ability to decide the quality of a movie than you do. They've seen more movies, therefore are far more educated into what makes a quality movie

Yes there are several aspects of a movie that are absolutely individualized especially interpretation as well as enjoyment

However there are definitive aspects of a movie that make it quality or not. As with any art form there are still several parts that are 100% up to he viewer

Interpretation of scenes, enjoyment, how you view style choices

But like I said there are definitive aspects regarding quality in film. Poor writing, poor editing, plot holes, poor pacing

Those are definitive things that a critic is far more equipped to discuss than you

That's like saying listening to a philosophy teacher about philosophy is no different than a homeless man

False. Some people are more educated and therefore their opinions have more depth than yours. Get used to it. I'm not going to walk around and act like I know more about computers than bill gates

The critics that complained that fight scenes contained mostly special effects... in a "Superman" movie? :smh:

Right because we all knew that a Superman movie would be full of nothing but practical stuff, I'm assuming those movie critics did otherwise they wouldn't complain about it.

I literally did an Edward Norton when I read a review of the movie and they said "The only problem with the fight scenes are they it's mostly special effects" and I saw it in many reviews that down talk the movie.

It's a freaking SUPERMAN movie.. if the critics weren't expecting the fights to be special effect based they either never read the comic or are reaching.

Edited by Majesty, June 15, 2013 - 05:36 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#204 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,167 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted June 15, 2013 - 08:29 PM

The critics that complained that fight scenes contained mostly special effects... in a "Superman" movie? :smh:

Right because we all knew that a Superman movie would be full of nothing but practical stuff, I'm assuming those movie critics did otherwise they wouldn't complain about it.

I literally did an Edward Norton when I read a review of the movie and they said "The only problem with the fight scenes are they it's mostly special effects" and I saw it in many reviews that down talk the movie.

It's a freaking SUPERMAN movie.. if the critics weren't expecting the fights to be special effect based they either never read the comic or are reaching.

exactly. Movie critics are not a "literary" class as last stand so eloquently put it. lol They get paid to express their opinions which also effects movie goers opinions who choose to listen to their crap.  They said Avengers was so great when i thought it was a good movie..nothing genre busting for such a film. *expected a little more*  Superman is supernatural... so i would hope the fights would be supernatural other wise superman would wipe the floor in an orthodox battle. 

ap1.png

#205 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,617 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 09:14 PM

exactly. Movie critics are not a "literary" class as last stand so eloquently put it. lol They get paid to express their opinions which also effects movie goers opinions who choose to listen to their crap.  They said Avengers was so great when i thought it was a good movie..nothing genre busting for such a film. *expected a little more*  Superman is supernatural... so i would hope the fights would be supernatural other wise superman would wipe the floor in an orthodox battle. 

yeah those same people probably weren't complaining that Iron-Man really isn't flying :laughing:

#206 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,722 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted June 15, 2013 - 09:28 PM

just got home from watching this movie, i thought it was pretty badass

people just need to stop reading reviews and come into movies with no expectations, it works wonders for my enjoyment of movies haha

2div

• 40,395 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 09:32 PM

How was Van Alden guys? Was he intense?

yo.

#208 androsays

androsays

• 4,722 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 09:41 PM

yes, as usual... such a great [expletive]ing actor

superman wasn't bad either, i have no idea what other movies this guy is from

Edited by androsays, June 15, 2013 - 09:43 PM.

2div

• 40,395 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 09:45 PM

Fantastic! Thanks. I love his work and I've never seen anything from the other guy, but he looks promising.

yo.

#210 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 15, 2013 - 10:19 PM

I tend not to care much for a movie's rating when it comes to websites like Rotten Tomatoes, because some of those ratings really drop my jaw.

However, on the flip side, I do understand a critic having a better ability to point out holes in plots. Sometimes, I'll run through a movie and not question anything, then go read a few reviews from major critics and realize they pulled maybe 6-7 different issues that, suddenly, have me wondering why certain things were never touched on or completed.

But leaving a movie's rating to a critic? I don't care much for that. Again, Rotten Tomatoes is a great example for showing the huge differences between critics' ratings, and the combined rating of your average viewers. Usually, the difference is significant.

That Safe Haven movie was rated 13% by critics. The audience rated it 70%. I watched it (I have a girl, and this stuff is mandatory, lol), and it's not THAT bad. I'd put it somewhere in the 50s or 60s, but 13% is incredibly harsh.

#211 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,098 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 10:37 PM

I tend not to care much for a movie's rating when it comes to websites like Rotten Tomatoes, because some of those ratings really drop my jaw.

However, on the flip side, I do understand a critic having a better ability to point out holes in plots. Sometimes, I'll run through a movie and not question anything, then go read a few reviews from major critics and realize they pulled maybe 6-7 different issues that, suddenly, have me wondering why certain things were never touched on or completed.

But leaving a movie's rating to a critic? I don't care much for that. Again, Rotten Tomatoes is a great example for showing the huge differences between critics' ratings, and the combined rating of your average viewers. Usually, the difference is significant.

That Safe Haven movie was rated 13% by critics. The audience rated it 70%. I watched it (I have a girl, and this stuff is mandatory, lol), and it's not THAT bad. I'd put it somewhere in the 50s or 60s, but 13% is incredibly harsh.

I definitely think one should definitely read reviews instead of taking the rotten tomatoes rating as gospel

I doubt man of steel is 57 movie. It's a flawed system because it's such a small sample size. But I do enjoy reading reviews after watching, I never read reviews before because most critics don't know how to keep spoilers out

The sample size is too small, but IMO it is fun to read reviews
Posted Image

#212 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,731 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted June 15, 2013 - 10:40 PM

Did you guys watch Batman begins it was good but it wasn't GREAT like The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight rises because its a setup to the trilogy. I feel the same way about Man of Steel. Oozing with potential

uhmm no. Batman Begins can rival TDK, and TDKR, especially if you're a big batman reader. The accuracy of the film with regards to the canon back story of Batman is almost spot on. The big loophole in there is that R'as Al Ghul isn't popular to casual watchers compared to Joker. Bane isn't popular as well to the casual watchers but the fact that the hype surrounding Joker helped the introduction of Bane to the casual fans.

#213 androsays

androsays

• 4,722 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 10:58 PM

^to each his own... personally TDK was my favorite, followed by batman begins, and my least favoriteof the three, but still badass, was the latest one

Edited by androsays, June 15, 2013 - 10:58 PM.

2div

#214 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted June 15, 2013 - 11:16 PM

I wasn't really that high on Batman Begins, although I did like the story. Ledger's Joker sealed TDK for me, though...my favorite character of all time, hands down. He was absolutely perfect in the role.

#215 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,311 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted June 15, 2013 - 11:27 PM

tumblr_lxnz27Dgps1r9p3eno1_500.gif

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#216 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,617 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 11:39 PM

uhmm no. Batman Begins can rival TDK, and TDKR, especially if you're a big batman reader. The accuracy of the film with regards to the canon back story of Batman is almost spot on. The big loophole in there is that R'as Al Ghul isn't popular to casual watchers compared to Joker. Bane isn't popular as well to the casual watchers but the fact that the hype surrounding Joker helped the introduction of Bane to the casual fans.

Batman Begins was a great origin story, but I always felt the action was far too up close at times and suffered from much too much shaky cam X_X  But I did like it.  TDK was far better in my opinion, they learned from their mistakes and made a great film out of it, as did Ledger's joker whom was perfect.

Two face was good too.. it's just sad that of the cinematic two faces to date only one seemed to get that Two face is a schizo and it was the one from Batman Forever >_>

But anyway, The Dark Knight rises was... ok..

You could really tell Nolan was at his "preaching" best and to me that sort of killed it in some aspects for me, how easily the city was manipulated by Bane, the speech he gave, the quick results, how easy it was to solve the prison problem all that stuff.  The Joker pretty much covered all that kind of stuff in the second film and failed, but Bane reads a letter and it all goes to crap?

Yeah....

I felt there were waaaay too many talks in the Dark Knight Rises that sounded more LIKE what film critics would say if they were discussing the characters rather than the characters themselves and it made the characters seem OUT of character to say those things, like Alfred for example.  I do love Nolan's movies but at times they reach levels of being character studies over films with all the "world is a bad place, people are phony, be your own person, knowledge is TRUE power" perspectives. 

Also no one... and I mean NO ONE

*spoilers*

should have believed for one second that Batman died at the end of that film :)

To me The Dark Knight is the best of the three.   The Dark Knight rises and villain seemed to me to be more like a second movie villain while Heath Ledgers Joker seemed to me like a 3rd and final movie Villain.

Edited by Majesty, June 15, 2013 - 11:40 PM.

#217 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,167 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted June 15, 2013 - 11:50 PM

man there's no doubt Ledger's death impact the final installment to the series... damn shame

ap1.png

#218 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,617 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 11:52 PM

man there's no doubt Ledger's death impact the final installment to the series... damn shame

Agree 100%

#219 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,098 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 12:21 AM

Your interpretation of the events in TDKR are wrong.

First of all he didn't convince any city. Bane trapped the cops under ground and freed all of the criminals. The only people in banes army were criminals and the original mercenaries

People were just afraid to go outside. There was no convincing by letter. The reading of the letter was simply to undo what Harvey dents false death enacted. Both symbolically and literally. It was only meant to falsify hope to the people of Gotham that they will be left alone if they mind their business

Also Alfred's speech was 100% in character. From day 1 he was about Bruce and his happiness. Alfred was pleading for Bruce to go live his life and that he didn't have to die and can be happy

To say he wasn't in character is to have missed his character

To say Nolan is at his preachy best is ridiculous. First of all TDK had as many speeches as TDKR. Second of all Nolan is not preachy, you feel it's preachy because it's high brow stuff. It's a movie that requires thought.

TDKR is about pain and suffering, it's the reinforcement that batman isn't a man but a symbol, it's Gothams last stand, it's Bruce realizing that he doesn't have to die and be a tragic hero. He doesnt have to go down. That was the point of the ending. It wasn't to surprise you. If you had actually followed the arc Bruce believed he and batman were one in the same. He wanted to inspire but was unwilling to relinquish the mask. The only time he saw Bruce as a separate being was with the prospect of Rachel and when she died he lost his will to be Bruce

So without batman he went into a reclusive state because to him life didn't exist outside of Rachel and batman.

Once batman came back he was able to live in the world. TDKR was the perfect 3rd film because it's not about Gotham, the films are about Bruce. They always have been.

Batman begins Is about fear, Bruce overcoming his fears, his regrets and guilt

The dark knight is about chaos and how it shows Bruce that batman isn't enough, that batman has limits

The dark knight rises is about pain and how Bruce is able to overcome his need for batman and live his life. He's Finally able to accept his own idea that batman is a symbol

He states consistently throughout the dark knight and throughout rises that his original intent was to be a symbol but somewhere that idea was lost and they became the same person culminating in Rachels letter where she says "she doesn't know if the day will ever come when you no longer need batman"

She doesn't say Gotham. Nolan puts it right there in the writing you just have to listen.

TDKR was a fantastic end to bruces arc. Through the death of Bruce he is free just like Selina Kyle, through his death batman becomes the symbol Gotham has always needed shown through the unveiling of the statue and John blake being risen

Bane was the perfect villain for the 3rd installment because the movie wasn't about the villain. Bane and talia represented a full circle, returning to square one. The league of shadows and how Bruce needed to go back to his roots in order to believe again, in order to fear again something he gradually lost. That belief.

Instead of wanting to die, he wanted to live, hence ejecting from the bat and choosing to live as opposed to being a martyr

It's and incredibly deep film, one of the toughest films ever made considering where TDK left off. And Nolan being the genius he is decided to center it around Bruce moreso than any of the other 3 films

Edited by last stand 2.0, June 16, 2013 - 12:25 AM.

Posted Image

#220 kobedoinwork

kobedoinwork

Rookie

• 749 posts
  • Name:Matthew
  • Fan Since:Born

Posted June 16, 2013 - 08:06 AM

Wow that was one of the most insightful thing I have read on this website!! Hats off to you sir

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users