65 replies to this topic

#41 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 15, 2012 - 06:08 PM

Im pretty sure this stuff doenst need rehab... Its not a surgery... its more like medicine.
Laker fan for life.

#42 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,230 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted July 15, 2012 - 06:11 PM

Well the procedure is called platelet-rich plasma therapy and it is where the doctor injects a type of cocktail of many proteins that collectively stimulate repair and regeneration. People say it can only take a week to see major improvements in the body.

Here is a video explaining the procedure in a away.

Warning there is some blood for the squeamish

From what it looks like it is smart for bynum to get this in September because then he will start feeling allot better by the time camp starts and it will last longer into the season.

#43 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,230 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 06:15 PM

So could the OP please change the title because bynum will not miss any time. This is a procedure that has no recovery time.

#44 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted July 15, 2012 - 06:35 PM

Bynum won't miss a game. Non issue.
htCCl0m.png

#45 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,802 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 15, 2012 - 06:57 PM

I still wouldn't change the title. I am not an expert but I do have more experience than most. I will call someone I do consider an expert tomorrow to confirm my opinion. Tissue growth and regeneration isn't as simple as some of you think. Repair that lasts requires a certain amount of time to incorporate itself into existing tissue. This is by no means as simple as it sounds. Without the proper amount of down time, the procedure is a waste of time and money. Your KNEES support the majority of your body weight. Running and jumping is HIGH IMPACT for a normal size person...imagine the force Andrew Bynum's knees have to absorb? Orthokine Therapy is not invasive but it's not a miracle either.

Best case, he's back on the court going full bore 8 weeks. Any sooner and he jeopardizes the long-term efficacy of the procedure.

What he'll likely be able to do within 2 weeks? Walk, jog, swim. 4 weeks? Run (elliptical), unguarded footwork drills, shooting. 6 weeks? Guarded drills, very light weight lifting (minimal weight squats), intense footwork, participate in light practice.

At the 6 week mark, if he still has pain, he should slow down and take some time to rest. Have his knee reevaluated and adjust his timetable. If he doesn't have any pain, he can start to go full-bore 100% at the 8 week mark. He should be pain free with full range of mobility and ready for anything.

Intense pain, discomfort or impaired range of motion after the 4 week mark is serious. Any complications require reevaluation before moving on to the next step.

Again, these are not exact. They are conservative precautions. If we were talking about Kobe, I'd throw all off these out of the door...but we're not. We're talking about Bynum and as you know, it's better safe than sorry.

He's going to need to be at 100% if he's going to run with Nash. Anything less is a waste.

#46 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,802 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 07:09 PM

Ok. Just got off the phone with an orthopedic surgeon who's familiar with the procedure (and many others). He says that the first 2 weeks are the most important and determine the rest of the recovery timetable. Could be as little as 4 weeks and as much as 12 (to 100%). Really depends on the patient and how his body responds. Doesn't anticipate long-term complications. Very good prognosis and minimal risk.

Likely fully recovery (100%) in less than 2 months.

I stand corrected...but technically the title is still correct. He could miss time.

#47 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,819 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 15, 2012 - 07:15 PM

Well that's great. Considering Bynum's past history with offseason procedures, we're probably looking at the back end of that time table for his return. Yet another year where Bynum could potentially miss preseason + the first few games of the season. Joy.

• 40,431 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 07:16 PM

^ Sucks even more if it does ultimately happen cause we need him out there since the beginning to gel well with Nash.

I stand corrected...but technically the title is still correct. He could miss time.

Well that's why, again, I intentionally left a question mark there cause none of us know for sure. As you said, it can vary, so him missing some valuable time of the company could very much happen and until we hear any kind of actual official confirmation or timetable from the team itself on this issue or Bynum's actual doctor, that speculation remains valid imo.

Edited by    , July 15, 2012 - 07:19 PM.

yo.

#49 David Hillman

David Hillman

Rookie

• 527 posts
  • Name:David Hillman
  • Fan Since:1979
  • Fav. Laker:Kurt Rambis

Posted July 15, 2012 - 08:08 PM

Ok. Just got off the phone with an orthopedic surgeon who's familiar with the procedure (and many others). He says that the first 2 weeks are the most important and determine the rest of the recovery timetable. Could be as little as 4 weeks and as much as 12 (to 100%). Really depends on the patient and how his body responds. Doesn't anticipate long-term complications. Very good prognosis and minimal risk.

Recovery from what? This treatment is just an injection. Players don't take weeks off to recover from a cortisone shot in the knee. Obviously, if they are drawing blood to create the PRP, the patient should take at least a day or two to recover from that, but otherwise, there's no damage being done from which recovery is required. That's the problem with traditional surgery, and to a lesser extent arthroscopic procedures... you have to do damage to access the joint. Running around immediately might, as you say, reduce the efficiency of injections, but there's no reason there would be pain or risk ( apart from the standard infection risk ).

#50 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,230 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 08:14 PM

From all the things I've looked on the internet say the recovery is almost no time at all. Its just an injection of proteins and what not to increase the natural healing speed. There is absolutely no surgery.

#51 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,790 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted July 15, 2012 - 08:25 PM

Sigh, just let him walk. He is by far beginning to prove to be a waste of time.

#52 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,506 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 15, 2012 - 08:27 PM

Sigh, just let him walk. He is by far beginning to prove to be a waste of time.

I think you meant to post that here

http://lakernation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/51957-d12-discussion-thread-update-pg-954-local-station-in-orl-reporting-lakers-close-to-deal-possible-pr-game-by-the-magic/page__st__20060

Makes more sense there than here. Cause Bynum hasn't been a waste of time for us and has improved his game each year whether you like it or not, and he's gonna do it again this year while being more mobile and the reasons for hating on him is just gonna get smaller and smaller :laughing:

Edited by Majesty, July 15, 2012 - 08:28 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#53 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,790 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted July 15, 2012 - 10:01 PM

I think you meant to post that here

http://lakernation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/51957-d12-discussion-thread-update-pg-954-local-station-in-orl-reporting-lakers-close-to-deal-possible-pr-game-by-the-magic/page__st__20060

Makes more sense there than here. Cause Bynum hasn't been a waste of time for us and has improved his game each year whether you like it or not, and he's gonna do it again this year while being more mobile and the reasons for hating on him is just gonna get smaller and smaller :laughing:

You're just blind. He's the reason why we have no future once Kobe and Nash leave. I don't need to debate this, but you will see. Sick and tired of debating the same crap over and over again. He's a mutha [expletive]in liability. He's still a child.

Woopdee [expletive]in do he can score 18 points a game. But he probably allows double that scored on us with his consistent [expletive] defense.

Edited by Jackson, July 15, 2012 - 10:03 PM.

#54 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,230 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 10:26 PM

:lolabove:

#55 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,506 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 15, 2012 - 10:44 PM

You're just blind. He's the reason why we have no future once Kobe and Nash leave. I don't need to debate this, but you will see. Sick and tired of debating the same crap over and over again. He's a mutha [expletive]in liability. He's still a child.

Woopdee [expletive]in do he can score 18 points a game. But he probably allows double that scored on us with his consistent [expletive] defense.

You're describing yourself.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#56 Batz

Batz

God dammit...

• 7,731 posts
  • Name:Ahmed
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 16, 2012 - 03:24 AM

This thread sucks.

#57 offtheheezy

offtheheezy

Off The Bench

• 2,592 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Fish

Posted July 16, 2012 - 12:13 PM

Yeah, I remember Kobe's treatment only had a recovery time of like a day so I'm sure he's pushed it off to have the effects run into the season.

Posted Image

When he's asked why Kobe doesn't tweet, @thugraider37 said he offers this reply: "Does God tweet?"

#58 ap1_alan

ap1_alan

Rookie

• 156 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe, Shaq

Posted July 16, 2012 - 12:28 PM

Yeah, I remember Kobe's treatment only had a recovery time of like a day so I'm sure he's pushed it off to have the effects run into the season.

Kobe even mentioned it at the beginning of the season when he was considering doing it to his wrist. He could have the procedure and be ready within days.

#59 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,177 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted July 16, 2012 - 01:50 PM

Bynum following the Shaq way delay delay delay until last minute so he can miss practices & gms
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#60 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,802 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 10:12 PM

Recovery from what? This treatment is just an injection. Players don't take weeks off to recover from a cortisone shot in the knee. Obviously, if they are drawing blood to create the PRP, the patient should take at least a day or two to recover from that, but otherwise, there's no damage being done from which recovery is required. That's the problem with traditional surgery, and to a lesser extent arthroscopic procedures... you have to do damage to access the joint. Running around immediately might, as you say, reduce the efficiency of injections, but there's no reason there would be pain or risk ( apart from the standard infection risk ).

It's not just medicine. This isn't a lube job. ILs promote growth, regeneration and regulate a wide variety of vital cellular functions. The premise of this procedure is it stimulates the body's on functions which heal and/or regenerate lost or damaged tissue, in this case cartilaginous tissue of the knee joint. There are other things that happen but I don't not want to try to explain those in a post on a basketball forum. These things don't happen overnight. Immediate relief can come from analgesic properties of other released factors and cells involved in immune response and repair. This isn't permanent. It's like putting neosporin on a cut.

It's not as simple as it sounds. Don't trust me. Don't trust anything on the internet. Just do the research for yourself...I promise that if you ask any 2nd year medical student to sum up the cascade of events precipitated by interleukins and you will get either a mean look, a blank stare or 3 hour SUMMARY.

He can get this and it can work but it will NOT happen overnight. If he gets it and goes back to work soon thereafter, he would have wasted his money.

Today, I talked to more than one physician I felt had expertise in this field...all of them said the same thing...long-term relief takes time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users