Photo

Bynum's German Knee Procedure?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

• 40,548 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 04:14 PM

Majestic, with all due respect, if the man truly wanted to, cared enough, and was responsible enough to get the surgery on time to for sure not miss any time with the team including training camp, he can make it happen. A man of that status, that wealth, there are more than several ways to make it happen.

It's misleading because it seems like that's what's being reported before I read the topic/article.

Dude how is a question mark considered misleading? Hello, question mark=speculation/possibility AKA not definite.

Edited by    , July 15, 2012 - 04:15 PM.

yo.

#22 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 15, 2012 - 04:17 PM

Dude how is a question mark considered misleading? Hello, question mark=speculation/possibility AKA not definite.

Because it's not the article that mentions it, just your speculation. When people usually update topics like that, it's information from the article.

Posted Image

#23 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 39,948 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 15, 2012 - 04:18 PM

Majestic, with all due respect, if the man truly wanted to, cared enough, and was responsible enough to get the surgery on time to for sure not miss any time with the team including training camp, he can make it happen. A man of that status, that wealth, there are more than several ways to make it happen. Dude how is a question mark considered misleading? Hello, question mark=speculation/possibility AKA not definite.

Dude are you seriously trying to suggest that he "force" a doctor against his will to give him a procedure when he probably has many other clients that he has to deal with before him?

Doctors have schedules and clients and they pick and choose when to see a patient depending on what time works best for them depending on what other schedules and priorities they have.

If the earliest the doctor could work Drew into a schedule for the procedure is September then that's what it is.

It has nothing to do with Bynum "wanting it bad enough" :nah:

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

• 40,548 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 04:21 PM

Because it's not the article that mentions it, just your speculation. When people usually update topics like that, it's information from the article.

There, is that better?

Dude are you seriously trying to suggest that he "force" a doctor against his will to give him a procedure when he probably has many other clients that he has to deal with before him?

See, that's just the thing though. You don't know this for sure. We don't know that for sure. All we can do is sorry to say it 'speculate'.

Edited by    , July 15, 2012 - 04:21 PM.

yo.

#25 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 04:26 PM

I don't mean to be difficult about it. I'm also speculating that he might miss time because of it.

But usually when a topic has a headline like that, I thought there was going to be something about it in the article. It's just misleading.

Posted Image

• 40,548 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 04:27 PM

^ Okay, but you didn't answer my question, is that better now? Has the edit that I've done made it a bit more accurate as far as not presenting itself as part of an article as you say?

yo.

#27 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 04:36 PM

^ Okay, but you didn't answer my question, is that better now? Has the edit that I've done made it a bit more accurate as far as not presenting itself as part of an article as you say?

You don't have to change it. It was just a suggestion. Just saying based on how things are usually done here, it's misleading.

Unless you mention that it's your opinion, I think it's going to be misleading still. That could be saying it's the article writer's opinion.

Edited by Japago, July 15, 2012 - 04:37 PM.

Posted Image

• 40,548 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 04:41 PM

^ Okay, did another edit. What do you think now?

yo.

#29 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 15, 2012 - 04:45 PM

The title is very accurate. Any major procedure on the knees of a guy who weighs over 250 lbs will require more recovery time than the avg size person. Kobe weigh right at 215. Bynum weighs or will weigh right at 300-310. That's a significant difference in the load on the patient's knees.

Bynum does not heal nearly as quickly as Kobe...the only good thing in his favor is his age...he's still very young and thus more resilient than someone 10 years his senior.

If I had to guess (and that's ALL it would be), I'd have to say he won't make training camp. If he has it in early September, he should be back on the court by late November at the earliest...and January at the latest. I'm hoping his procedure isn't as extensive as Kobe's likely was.

Remember, Kobe had his surgery last JUNE...

As for why he's waiting so long to get it, it's probably as others have suggested. This procedure was made famous by Kobe and the physician has not had time to train anyone else or provide a large enough number of case samples to present this as a candidate for United States approval. This procedure is likely 5 years away from getting any type of support from the medical community. He's working on the absolute forefront of orthopedic sports medicine technology...this procedure is thus rare, unknown and likely wildly expensive.

I'm not shocked or concerned that it is taking so long to get it done. He was likely lucky to get it that soon.

Edited by GCMD, July 15, 2012 - 04:46 PM.

#30 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 04:45 PM

^ Okay, did another edit. What do you think now?

Just mention it's your opinion I guess.

Posted Image

• 40,548 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 04:47 PM

^ No offense, but GameCock actually agreed with me and gave me the green light so I feel more safe & confident in my initial choice. I appreciate the constructive criticism, but I shall now go back to what my heart initially felt.

yo.

#32 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 15, 2012 - 04:48 PM

If he didn't schedule it as soon as the season ended in May, that's another dumb move by Bynum. I'm not buying the waiting list excuse, there can't be such a long list of multimillionaire athletes in line for this surgery. If anything, it's probably be the same deal as his surgery a few summers back where he waited longer than he should have to get the procedure done.

According to reports from Kobe's surgery, the recovery time isn't all that long so I'm not too worried about this. Just wish he'd put a premium on getting himself fixed up earlier in the offseason.

• 40,548 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 04:50 PM

According to reports from Kobe's surgery, the recovery time isn't all that long so I'm not too worried about this. Just wish he'd put a premium on getting himself fixed up earlier in the offseason.

But considering Bynum is a big man in contrast, plus the fact that he has more of a history with knee injuries/problems than Kobe, perhaps it could take longer wouldn't you potentially imagine?

yo.

#34 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 04:51 PM

One thing I forgot...

It would probably be good if Bynum got his extension first. These experimental procedures are not covered under any insurance and he'd have to pay out of pocket. He'd also be left holding the bag if the procedure failed, or worse, left him unable to fulfill his current contract. He could forfeit next year's pay.

If he gets the security of an extension, spending money to get it right becomes more of an investment instead of a risk.

#35 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 15, 2012 - 04:57 PM

But considering Bynum is a big man in contrast, plus the fact that he has more of a history with knee injuries/problems than Kobe, perhaps it could take longer wouldn't you potentially imagine?

Greg Oden had the same procedure done in early May, and there's a brief mention of what exactly happens during this procedure:

The procedure involves a patient’s own blood being drawn, then being spun in a centrifuge to make a serum and then being injected into the knee. Doctors claim the blood then works to stop inflammation and reduce pain and cartilage damage, ESPN notes. Grizzlies guard Gilbert Arenas also has had the procedure.

It's quite different from getting something like arthroscopic surgery to fix a knee problem. It's not as invasive so the recovery time isn't anywhere near as long. Also, his movement isn't restricted like it would be from a more serious procedure. Still, Kobe chose to rest his knee the entire summer after getting his procedure. If Bynum's isn't scheduled until September, he could end up missing some time if there's some unforeseen setback.

#36 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 05:06 PM

If he didn't schedule it as soon as the season ended in May, that's another dumb move by Bynum. I'm not buying the waiting list excuse, there can't be such a long list of multimillionaire athletes in line for this surgery. If anything, it's probably be the same deal as his surgery a few summers back where he waited longer than he should have to get the procedure done.

The key would be him going in to the procedure in game shape. If he did that, yes, he could theoretically make the opening game. He wouldn't be 100%, mind you, but he could play.

Knee procedures are extremely tricky. There are a lot more factors that affect rehab time because it's a vital load-bearing joint.

Combine that with Bynum's history, mass and avg healing time and I'd have to add no less than 2 weeks on top of ANYTHING Kobe'd be able to accomplish...and that's an EXTREMELY optimistic prognosis...realistically, no less than a month on top of Kobe's recovery time.

I'm not trying to gloom or doom anyone. I'm not an expert on this particular procedure...no-one but Wehling is. I'm speaking solely on knee surgery and recovery time for ATHLETES, not the avg Joe.

Either way, it's not a big deal. As long as the procedure works, based on Kobe's early onslaught last year, Bynum would more than make up for any time missed and likely enjoy a longer, more productive career.

No need to worry.

I do caution optimism on the recovery time. It's always good to be pleasantly surprised than to plan for the best and have reality smack you in the face.

Plan for no less than 8-12 weeks recovery. Less than that and you are setting yourself up for major disappointment. If you want a more realistic timetable, shoot for 10-16...based on how successful the procedure was (no complications) and if there is any significant pain after the first 2 weeks.

And recovered isn't "Bynum's walking" or "Bynum's on the treadmill". He isn't fully recovered until he hits the floor in 5-on-5s, pain free.

Edited by GCMD, July 15, 2012 - 05:07 PM.

#37 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 05:10 PM

I did some more googling. I haven't seen anybody speculate that he'll miss time, so that's what I'll go by for now.

With Bynum though, I'm always going to feel nervous about him whenever it comes to knee procedures.

Edited by Japago, July 15, 2012 - 05:10 PM.

Posted Image

#38 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 05:29 PM

Greg Oden had the same procedure done in early May, and there's a brief mention of what exactly happens during this procedure:

It's quite different from getting something like arthroscopic surgery to fix a knee problem. It's not as invasive so the recovery time isn't anywhere near as long. Also, his movement isn't restricted like it would be from a more serious procedure. Still, Kobe chose to rest his knee the entire summer after getting his procedure. If Bynum's isn't scheduled until September, he could end up missing some time if there's some unforeseen setback.

EXACTLY.

This procedure has not been performed enough to weed out the known benefits vs the unknown side effects. We just don't have enough data to say what will happen most of the time.

All we can do is work on the known assumptions of knee anatomy and hypothesize using our knowledge and experience with other minimally invasive procedures. From there we have to account for the healing properties of the knee and it's capacity for self-repair...which seems to be the basis for the restorative mechanism.

Then, you have to consider the opposing factors...like the body's ability to reject it's own tissue...I was immediately concerned with the off chance of auto-immune reactions...rare but in this case, increased chance based on the procedure.

I'm for this procedure. I think it will help and I applaud the physician who is paving the way for progress in his field.

I just don't want you guys to get your hopes up. I'd rather him come back 4 weeks early and you guys be happy than him take 4 extra weeks and everyone on here go Posted Image

#39 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 05:34 PM

To sum this up:

Yes Chicano is right. He could miss time. That is very likely. You don't undergo this type of procedure and rush things. And if he doesn't feel 100%, it would not be responsible to take the floor...not without Wehling's re-assessment and approval.

#40 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,447 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted July 15, 2012 - 05:48 PM

Could someone figure out how much Bynum has been paid per games played? Only Grant Hill or Allen Houston were this bad :laughing: or Greg Oden!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users