Photo

Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,865 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted September 15, 2012 - 08:27 PM

wow great fight.

Sergio at 37 showing the world that he's still an assassin. But props with Chavez jr for putting his all in the last round.

#22 Marc Maron

Marc Maron

either/or

• 3,242 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 08:52 PM

Martinez was schooling Chavez for 11 rounds then that 12th round :o . Crazy ending.

hR3rI.png

#23 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,287 posts
  • Name:Ray Donovan
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 15, 2012 - 09:00 PM

Except for the last round, those $60 were not well spent.

#24 Niss

Niss

Retired Lead Mod

• 713 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 10:09 PM

Martinez looks good. Chavez on the other hand looks drained as [expletive].

Did he go on a meth diet? dafuq :laughing:

Posted Image

Martinez schooled a damn Cruiserweight.

• 40,603 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 10:25 AM

That's exactly right. Martinez obviously absolutely dominated JR every single round until the last, where Chavez just about stole the whole fight.

I understand that Martinez is astoundingly quick, at least much quicker than JR so it was hard to hit him, but his best chance (JR's that is) was whenever he'd have him on the ropes. I know he'd slip out of there pretty quickly (Martinez), but at times, he had him there for a bit and didn't throw much, if at all. That was extremely disappointing.

The last round didn't surprise me from the point that Chavez Jr. was able to do what he did to Martinez and hurt him the way he did. Despite all the rest of the rounds, I was pretty certain he had that kind of stuff in him, but I was just so disappointed cause he waited so long and never showed it until too late. He even admitted this in his interview. Where was the heart then? In fact, if he would've started this intense barrage just at least one or two rounds earlier, he could've very well had this fight.

It's understandable that Chavez Jr. was alert and & cautious of Martinez's power throughout pretty much the whole fight, but in my opinion, he over-respected him for too long and decided to finally take legitimate chances and let go when the time ran out on him.

Chavez Jr. actually did have a few decent short-lived moments throughout the fight, but the main thing is that he never really fully-committed to most of his punches as they were thrown with somewhat hesitation & timidness in greater fear of what Martinez would counter & return back. Also, he hardly ever followed up on any short moments of positivity he had. He would just stop after and not throw or pose any threat for far too long.

Basically all that changed in the last round, again, when it was too late.

So for me personally, it's somewhat of a mixed bag. I'm at least happy & proud that JR showed heart at the end, but at the same time, it made me even more disappointed than I already was, just knowing that he proved to me he did have it in him to do that, but where was it earlier? At least a round or two earlier? Oh well...

yo.

#26 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted September 16, 2012 - 12:33 PM

I still wanted him to be undefeated
Posted Image

• 40,603 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 12:59 PM

^ Of course. As did I. That just goes into the many reasons I was disappointed with him last night.

yo.

#28 Bossevo

Bossevo

Rookie

• 43 posts
  • Name:Antonio
  • Fan Since:79
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted September 16, 2012 - 08:24 PM

That is what happens when you fight tomato cans your whole career.
He never had to step in with a world class fighter before.

#29 Yaboy

Yaboy

Sixth Man

• 3,949 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 16, 2012 - 08:33 PM

I'm so happy Chavez jr lost... all the dudes around me were talking so much [expletive] when they saw he was loosing, and as soon as he knocked down Sergio they were standing up yelling saying they knew he had it in him and all this bull[expletive] ..until the fight was over and then they went back to saying he's a bum.

OD_zpsef7494d9.png

"Love me or hate me it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, hate my swagger, hate my fade-away, my hunger, hate that i'm a veteran, A champion, hate that. Hate it with all your heart, and hate that i'm loved for the exact same reasons." - Kobe

#30 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,618 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted September 17, 2012 - 09:40 AM

Martinez couldn't finish Chavez off & I don't think he had him in much trouble. The big difference is speed. Sergio was too freakin fast for Jr. Also, Jr. was very, very gun shy.
Dam I wish he could've finished him off. Once Sergio feel down the 2nd time, I knew the time taken off the clock would work against Chavez & there would be no KO. Chavez is still very young & will learn a lot from this defeat.

2hf753r.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users