29 replies to this topic

#1 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,311 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted July 06, 2012 - 12:49 AM

Here are Magic Johnson's thoughts on acquiring Steve Nash & trading for Dwight Howard

Quote:

"The excitement will be back at Staples Center," Johnson said in a phone interview while vacationing in Italy. "This guy is so much fun to watch. He's a 'mini-me' of me."

"We're going to get into the 100s for sure with Steve Nash," Johnson said. "It's almost going back to Showtime. From one to 10, there's nine pluses now. Only one minus. We haven't got enough runners."

"The unfortunate thing is we can't take full advantage of Steve Nash's ability if we're just using him in the halfcourt. We're still a slow team. We've got to somehow get a little bit faster or get players who can get up and down the court.""

"I think Dwight Howard is making a big mistake by not considering the Lakers," Johnson said. "Dwight Howard cannot finish a game. What happens is big men put you in a position to win, but they don't win it. Kobe Bryant always closed out games when he was with Shaq. There's no Kobe Bryant on the [Brooklyn] Nets team."

"Dwight Howard can't hit free throws and dominate a game in the fourth quarter," Magic added. "If he wants to be MVP and win a championship, L.A. could be Dwight Howard's town. He could light the whole city up. He could own Los Angeles. Can you imagine the lobs that Steve would be throwing to him? If Dwight Howard ends up with the Lakers it would be the most exciting team we've seen in the last 10 or 15 years, probably since Michael [Jordan] left.

"Kobe Bryant would definitely pass me in rings if he joins the Lakers. Kobe Bryant needs Dwight Howard and Dwight Howard needs Kobe Bryant."

"I want to give Mitch [Kupchak] and Jim Buss credit for Steve Nash," Johnson said. "They showed me something. But if they have the opportunity, keep it going. You can't stop. Unfortunately, you're still not good enough. They're still missing a piece that would help them win it all. If you get Howard, that puts you over the top."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-nash-lakers-20120706,0,2052403.story?page=2&track=rss

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, July 06, 2012 - 12:49 AM.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#2 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,693 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted July 06, 2012 - 12:51 AM

Holy [expletive] Magic is saying something extremely right for the first time in a long time.

#3 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,606 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted July 06, 2012 - 12:57 AM

So agree with magic about the bigs not finishing the game. You cant relly on a big to take the last shot. I mean they can some times but most of the time like he said you need a kobe bryant to take the shot. FT's are the big reason too. Howard not the best at FT's. Also they will hack a big man and calls tend not to get called at the end. Also love that magic points out that the nets dont have a real closer. So true. Be super easy to stop deron when there's no one else to really worry about shooting the last shot

#4 Grandmaster

Grandmaster

Rookie

• 152 posts
  • Name:Jose
  • Fan Since:8 years old
  • Fav. Laker:Black Mamba, Ron Artest

Posted July 06, 2012 - 12:59 AM

Magic wants it, and he wants it bad.

#5 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,647 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 06, 2012 - 01:57 AM

So agree with magic about the bigs not finishing the game. You cant relly on a big to take the last shot. I mean they can some times but most of the time like he said you need a kobe bryant to take the shot. FT's are the big reason too. Howard not the best at FT's. Also they will hack a big man and calls tend not to get called at the end. Also love that magic points out that the nets dont have a real closer. So true. Be super easy to stop deron when there's no one else to really worry about shooting the last shot

Funny thing is you CAN count on Bynum to finish a game because he can make free throws and HAS made clutch shots for us before. This was used to perfection in the Celtics game we had.

But the thing is, Dwight can't. We can't give it to him at the end of games and he isn't gonna get much attention because they'll just foul him and we'll have to settle with the result of his free throws.

The last game shots that we see for Kobe where in the final seconds they say don't foul. I'm willing to bet teams will start the moment we inbound the ball, intentionally fouling Dwight instead of giving Kobe the chance to burn them. :laughing:

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#6 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,606 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted July 06, 2012 - 02:06 AM

Funny thing is you CAN count on Bynum to finish a game because he can make free throws and HAS made clutch shots for us before. This was used to perfection in the Celtics game we had.

But the thing is, Dwight can't. We can't give it to him at the end of games and he isn't gonna get much attention because they'll just foul him and we'll have to settle with the result of his free throws.

The last game shots that we see for Kobe where in the final seconds they say don't foul. I'm willing to bet teams will start the moment we inbound the ball, intentionally fouling Dwight instead of giving Kobe the chance to burn them. :laughing:

That is a good point. He did shoot 49 % last season.

I was a huge believer that having bynum or howard wont change much until nash came though. Nash is a deadly P&R player and yes bynum can be decent at it but it definatly isnt his style. Howard though is perfect for it. The guy is great at that kind of movement. Bynum is a true post center and will hurt teams with that but I think with nash we should look more to the P&R. Still we defiantly wont be lacking in the center position either way.

#7 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted July 06, 2012 - 03:20 AM

LMAO we dont need anyone whos clutch if we have Dwight Kobe nash and pau games wont even be close
Posted Image

#8 DA the prosecutor

DA the prosecutor

Rookie

• 217 posts
  • Name:Christian
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:KB24,Shaq and D12

Posted July 06, 2012 - 03:28 AM

sounds like magic was touching himself as he was talking hahahahaha

#9 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,310 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 06, 2012 - 03:51 AM

This makes me want Howard even more. Damn, Nash lobs to Howard. :o

┬íHala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#10 Batz

Batz

God dammit...

• 7,730 posts
  • Name:Ahmed
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 06, 2012 - 04:25 AM

This makes me want Howard even more. Damn, Nash lobs to Howard. :o

And Kobe can finally breathe... :mellow:

#11 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,065 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted July 06, 2012 - 04:52 AM

Magic...on point?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#12 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,776 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 06, 2012 - 05:22 AM

Windu,

Lovin' tha Christina Hendricks...

Magic jumpin' back on the Lakers tip? Wow...

I guess he'll have a hard time skipping Lakers games to go watch LeBrick and the BLEEP.

I agree Dwight and Kobe would beast the league together but I think DH needs Kobe more than Kobe needs him. Kobe's MUCH closer to contention than the Magic or Mavs...the only team that is interested in DH AND would be contenders if they add him is BKNets...and they don't have the assets to get it done...

Plus

Ring Check?

Kobe - 5
Dwight - 0

Kobe's already racking in endorsement cake in LA...
Kobe's already a rock star on 7 continents (for those who failed geography, that's all of them).
Kobe has already won being "The Man" and has NOTHING to prove...

There is absolutely no reason DH should not be excited about coming to LA...yet, here we are...vocalizing (or rather typing) what a 5yr/o can figure out...

I wonder if Dwight goes around his house saying "Chi?" or "Nyu?"...(anime references that most won't get)...that would not surprise me.

#13 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 06, 2012 - 05:57 AM

Well Howard coming here isn't happening he doesn't want to be here and he wants to be the top dog on his team so let him

#14 Roidz

Roidz

Rookie

• 1,249 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:KB, L.O., Dwight, Glen Rice

Posted July 06, 2012 - 06:06 AM

LMAO we dont need anyone whos clutch if we have Dwight Kobe nash and pau games wont even be close

"What I'm doing right now, I'm chasing perfection." -Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted Image

#15 nikolatesla

nikolatesla

Rookie

• 390 posts
  • Name:Aykut
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted July 06, 2012 - 08:21 AM

Good to see Magic referring to Lakers as "we". Thats what made me happy about that article. He tried too hard to be objective that sometimes he looked like a hater.

#16 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,934 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 06, 2012 - 08:25 AM

Screw Magic

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#17 Sung

Sung

Rookie

• 83 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 08:31 AM

That is a good point. He did shoot 49 % last season.

I was a huge believer that having bynum or howard wont change much until nash came though. Nash is a deadly P&R player and yes bynum can be decent at it but it definatly isnt his style. Howard though is perfect for it. The guy is great at that kind of movement. Bynum is a true post center and will hurt teams with that but I think with nash we should look more to the P&R. Still we defiantly wont be lacking in the center position either way.

If you can lead by x number of points in a fast paced games, why bother worrying about hack-a-Dwight strategy? With Nash/Kobe/MWP/Pau/Howard on a team, there will be tons of blow-out games. How many blow out games did we have last year during the reg season? And under two minutes left in the game, hacking becomes nullified. Bynum and Pau combo is way too slow. In fact, Bynum plays like my granda running up-and-down the court although he does have nice foot work and post moves down low. We need Howard. We need fastbreak points. We need someone to ignite the crowd.

#18 Azazello

Azazello

Sixth Man

• 3,439 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 08:33 AM

Surprised Magic took a break from praising the Heat to say this. He loves bashing the Lakers on national television with his partner in crime Jon Barry, takings shots at Jim Buss and Kobe depending on what mood he is in.

#19 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,339 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 08:43 AM

Good read. Magic Johnson obviously knows his basketball, except when it comes to over-inflating Lebron's place in history.

#20 David Hillman

David Hillman

Rookie

• 527 posts
  • Name:David Hillman
  • Fan Since:1979
  • Fav. Laker:Kurt Rambis

Posted July 06, 2012 - 08:45 AM

If you can lead by x number of points in a fast paced games, why bother worrying about hack-a-Dwight strategy? With Nash/Kobe/MWP/Pau/Howard on a team, there will be tons of blow-out games. How many blow out games did we have last year during the reg season? And under two minutes left in the game, hacking becomes nullified. Bynum and Pau combo is way too slow. In fact, Bynum plays like my granda running up-and-down the court although he does have nice foot work and post moves down low. We need Howard. We need fastbreak points. We need someone to ignite the crowd.

Even with Howard, this is not a fast break lineup. Pau is just as slow as Bynum. Both can run, but very rarely choose to. Expecting Howard to lockdown the paint, rebound and be out on the break is a little unrealistic. MWP is neither quick, nor much of a finisher these days. There isn't a guy on the whole roster who is quick, and can finish at the rim, except Kobe.

Barring drastic changes, like a shorter court ;), the '12 Lakers are not likely to be running anywhere. More likely, they are going to have to play like an '80s Eastern Conference team. Walk it up, slow it down. Win games in the seventies, if possible. Everyone else is licking their chops right now, dreaming of running this Laker lineup off the floor. It'll be like watching the inverse of Showtime. The Lakers will have to have off-the-charts offensive efficiency to win. Any defensive rebounds they give up will be coming back at them in a hurry, and they're going to give up a ton of layups.

Now, they might just be good enough offensively to pull that off. We'll see.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users