Photo

Lakers sign Antawn Jamison to 1 year deal (veteran's min)

• Please log in to reply
494 replies to this topic

#21 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted July 05, 2012 - 07:12 PM

Don't want. He's pretty bad now.

:laughing:
htCCl0m.png

#22 LikeABosh

LikeABosh

Off The Bench

• 2,537 posts
  • Fan Since:Kobe/Fisher
  • Fav. Laker:Fisher

Posted July 05, 2012 - 07:44 PM

#23 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,650 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 05, 2012 - 09:30 PM

#24 underworldmike

underworldmike

Rodmanator

• 1,489 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Fan Since:Since i was born
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman and Kobe Bryant

Posted July 06, 2012 - 01:48 AM

Hill, Jamison, Lewis vet min

Blake
Hill
Lewis
Jamison
Hill

MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!!!

that would be an awesome bench

All i see is three point shooting defense bench
Posted Image

#25 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,528 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted July 06, 2012 - 02:29 AM

Reunite Antawn with Steve Nash.

#26 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,338 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted July 06, 2012 - 03:11 AM

It seems that people think of the name and not the age ans skill. I promise you GLock will beat the breaks off MJ one on one right now. Players are not what you think they are after age 35. Its very rare. Mj, Kareem, Garnett and Ray Allen are freaks but you lose defensive skills first as they all did, offensive skills take longer to lose and championships are won with defense. Remember we're not trying to go deep into the playoffs as Steve Nash has done most of his career, we're trying to win number six and or seven for Mr Bryant. So why are we looking at Grant Hill and Jamison?? We already have the AARP / Centrum Silver crew. We don't need to add more old heads, we need to give what little youth we have more confidense with playing time and positive reinforcement as San Antonio did

#27 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,313 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 06, 2012 - 04:52 AM

It seems that people think of the name and not the age ans skill. I promise you GLock will beat the breaks off MJ one on one right now. Players are not what you think they are after age 35. Its very rare. Mj, Kareem, Garnett and Ray Allen are freaks but you lose defensive skills first as they all did, offensive skills take longer to lose and championships are won with defense. Remember we're not trying to go deep into the playoffs as Steve Nash has done most of his career, we're trying to win number six and or seven for Mr Bryant. So why are we looking at Grant Hill and Jamison?? We already have the AARP / Centrum Silver crew. We don't need to add more old heads, we need to give what little youth we have more confidense with playing time and positive reinforcement as San Antonio did

Totally disagree on Hill and Jamison
Grant Hill is currently one of the better wing defenders in the NBA, and he is awesome as a locker-room presence.
Antawn Jamison isn't in there for his defensive skills - but as a guy who can grab a couple of rebounds and spread the floor.

#28 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,746 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 06, 2012 - 05:35 AM

Whether or not they land these particular players, I'm happy the Lakers know what they need. They know what they need to do to get better. That's where most seasons go wrong.

Now, we just have to be smart...

If we land DH, I'm fine with signing both Hill and Jamison...

#29 Roidz

Roidz

Rookie

• 1,249 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:KB, L.O., Dwight, Glen Rice

Posted July 06, 2012 - 06:16 AM

Stretch 4, would be a fantastic addition with Nash running the show.

Agreed. He's a pretty decent rebounder too. I know they're both old, but I think they could both help out a lot.

"What I'm doing right now, I'm chasing perfection." -Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted Image

#30 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,338 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 06:59 AM

Wow!! Is it getting that bad to the point where we think we can beat OKC and Miami with 40 yr olds. Cmon guys. We play in La La land; don't live in LA LA Fantasy Land. We reach everytime a name is dangled out there. WE NEED GOOD YOUNG HUNGRY BALLERS to mix to this OLD TEAM. Baller does not mean superstar or person who scores all the time . George Hill is a Baller. JR Smith is a Baller. Trevor Ariza is a Baller. Tyreke Evans is a Baller. Jeff Green (beofre the heart thing) was a Baller. Not that we can get these guys but they are examples of BALLERS who are not superstars. Grant Hill needs to be on our coaching staff :laughing: :laughing:

#31 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,338 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 07:05 AM

Totally disagree on Hill and Jamison
Grant Hill is currently one of the better wing defenders in the NBA, and he is awesome as a locker-room presence.
Antawn Jamison isn't in there for his defensive skills - but as a guy who can grab a couple of rebounds and spread the floor.

Negative. Grant hill plays well against players who have lost a step. I watched him get lit up by the Bobcats and Sacramento... Really? And let's face it, if we get there he would have to defend LeBron and Durant. C'mon Man!! :nah:

#32 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 07:07 AM

Can we please get some running YOUNG PLAYERS don't want Jamison seen some Cavs game last year and he was down right AWFUL and grant hill is good but I just don't want him

#33 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 07:12 AM

Antwan Jamison is at a career low in FG% with .403 please pass on this scrub

#34 tsidebotham

tsidebotham

Rookie

• 103 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 06, 2012 - 08:51 AM

He was bad in Cleveland because he had to carry the team... he IS NOT an all-star... but he would make a great 5th/6th option. you can't guard him the way he was guarded in Cleveland when you have to worry about the likes of Kobe, Nash, Gasol, maybe DH? he would be getting very favorable match-ups, or playing against other teams backups, which also would be an advantage.

#35 citr92

citr92

Rookie

• 447 posts
  • Name:Cody
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted July 06, 2012 - 10:02 AM

Y? Does anyone realize this is a young man's game?? Not even Dallas was this old when they won. 29 and 30 year olds are one thing. 33 35 36 37 38 is entirely different. You need a few vets but not 60% of your team :nah:

he would be coming off the bench, which is fine,

and dude, he had 17 points and 6 rebounds a game with freaking cleveland, is that not decent or something?

does he need 30 and 20?

Edited by citr92, July 06, 2012 - 10:03 AM.

#36 David Hillman

David Hillman

Rookie

• 527 posts
  • Name:David Hillman
  • Fan Since:1979
  • Fav. Laker:Kurt Rambis

Posted July 06, 2012 - 10:19 AM

and dude, he had 17 points and 6 rebounds a game with freaking cleveland, is that not decent or something?

He shot 40%. A lot of guys could score 17 a game taking 16 shots. Hell, McBob could probably do it. Plus, he plays minimal defense. I like Jamison, but at this point in his career, he's a net negative pickup.

#37 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,755 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted July 06, 2012 - 10:51 AM

Picking up a guy for the vet's min to give us 10-12 minutes a night is a bad move? Even when you consider how perfect a fit he'd be in stretching the floor for (hopefully) Dwight Howard while being another target for Steve Nash? Yes, his last season in Cleveland looked ugly to anyone just looking at stats, but how many of you actually watched a handful of Cleveland games? They were trying to run their offense through him for much of the season (making him into the #1 option) when that has NEVER been Jamison's forte. He's not a 1st option player, the lesser the role the better he plays. He could easily fill in that Channing Frye role by simply screening for Nash and spotting up behind the arc as a stretch 4. He'd get many wide open looks with Nash, Kobe and whatever big we have playing center at that point getting the defense to commit. The spacing on the floor would be excellent.

Antawn Jamison's best year of his career occurred in the '03-04 season when he wasn't relied upon to be a first or second option, but as the 6th man off the bench. He came in and spaced the floor while providing an offensive punch with 15ppg on
53% shooting, 40% beyond the arc. This was also the only year in his entire career that he played with a playmaking guard who could get the ball to his teammates in their shooting pocket. Steve Nash was that point guard.

Considering how awful our bench was last season (dead last, even behind the Charlotte Bobcats), he'd be a massive improvement based upon the fact that he can actually knock down an open look beyond the arc and still has some scoring punch.

#38 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted July 06, 2012 - 12:40 PM

“We broke the ice,’’ Jamison said of his two-hour meeting over dinner Thursday night. “To say there’s interest on both sides is definite.

“Now it’s up to me. Do I want to come home to be with my kids? Or should I pursue the best opportunity to win a ring?’’

Jamison sees a championship as the only remaining hole in his pro career. He was twice an All-Star while playing for the Washington Wizards and his time in the NBA has been long and lucrative. Jamison said Friday he hasn’t had specific discussions with contenders. The Golden State Warriors, now run by his former agent, Bob Myers, has reached out, suggesting a role similar to the Bobcats’ proposal.

Jamison said the advantage of signing with the Bobcats is more reliable than the prospect of signing with a contender.

“The only thing left I haven’t accomplished is to be part of a championship team,’’ Jamison said. “But the realization is signing with Miami or L.A. or Boston doesn’t mean it’s a shoo-in (a title run) would happen.

“Spending two or three seasons (on an elite team) increases the chances, but it’s not guaranteed.’’

Source: Charlotte Observer
htCCl0m.png

#39 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,763 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 06, 2012 - 12:47 PM

A stretch 4?? SIgn him up. People saying he is bad an stuff have to realize his game has suffered from his role of 30+ mins in addition to his age. He isnt gonna be getting those type of mins here which will allow him to be for effective when he is on the court instead of running his body down. Same goes for hill that people say he is old. Yea he is old, but was starting last season and wasnt that bad. Now he is gonna get the knee surgery that kobe had and as a bench role he will be able to contribute and be effective with a reduce in mins allowing for him to be more fresh.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#40 MadSci

MadSci

Stay Gold

• 4,752 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 01:12 PM

He's an upgrade from anyone on our bench so I say pick him up if he comes cheap.

The North Remembers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users