Photo

Chris Paul Thinks Clippers Would Have Won Title With Healthy Chauncey Billups

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,687 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted June 26, 2012 - 07:59 PM

Posted Image

By Christopher Dempsey

PARKER – It’s been a decade since Chauncey Billups was last pursued as hard by NBA teams in free agency as he expects to be this year.

And his good friend, L.A. Clippers guard Chris Paul, aims to be at the top of the list, hoping to get him back in red, blue and white for the 2012-13 season.

“He knows my top priority right now is to make sure he’s back with us again next season,” said Paul, a special guest today at Chauncey Billups’ basketball camp at Parker Fieldhouse.

“That was the best backcourt mate I played with since I’ve been in the NBA. He just gave me so much confidence and made things so much easier for me. So I need him back and want him back with the Clippers.”

Billups averaged 14.9 points and 4.0 assists in 20 games – all starts – for the Clippers before his season came to an abrupt end with a torn Achilles on Feb. 7. He was playing on a one-year contract with the Clippers after being waived by the Knicks, who used the newly-created amnesty clause to do so prior to the season.

Now, Billups is an unrestricted free agent.

His biggest hurdle is getting back to full health. To that end, the 15-year veteran says he’s “far ahead of schedule” and plans on being ready for training camp in October, wherever that may be. Paul wants that to be Clippers training camp. They were 15-6 when Billups went down last season and just 25-20 after that.

Billups said he plans to milk the free agent process for all it’s worth.

“I liked it a lot (in Los Angeles), but of course I would be crazy not to entertain any other offers that I might have,” he said. “That’s the fun of being a free agent.”

Billups has been part mentor, part friend to Paul ever since the point guard arrived in the NBA in 2005 from Wake Forest. Paul called playing alongside Billups last season “the best thing ever.”

“I tell people all the time had Chauncey not got injured we was going to win the championship,” Paul said.

And progress on his recruitment of Billups?

“I think it’s going well,” Paul said. “The top priority now is to get him healthy. I think that was the toughest thing for me. When he got injured I was messed up because I know how hard he works and how much he loves to play. It feels a lot better now because I know how hard he’s been working and I know he’s going to be back.”

Follow Chris Dempsey on Twitter @dempseypost or email him at cdempsey@denverpost.com

http://blogs.denverpost.com/nuggets/2012/06/25/chris-paul-making-billups-la-top-priority/6736/

#2 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,849 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 26, 2012 - 08:07 PM

:hysterical:

#3 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted June 26, 2012 - 08:12 PM

:hysterical:

Edited by Hollywood, June 26, 2012 - 08:12 PM.

Posted Image

#4 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,378 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 26, 2012 - 10:19 PM

Of course he does. Hate to say it but no one was stopping the Heat this season. Clippers would have got swept just like the spurs swept them up

Edited by LakersChamps243, June 26, 2012 - 10:20 PM.

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#5 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,553 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 26, 2012 - 10:29 PM

The Clippers would have only made it to the 2nd round if not eliminated in the first round.
They were a solid team, but not a deep one.
Not until Blake Griffin improves his jumper and both him and DeAndre improve their free throw shooting, Clippers won't go to far.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#6 DA the prosecutor

DA the prosecutor

Rookie

• 217 posts
  • Name:Christian
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:KB24,Shaq and D12

Posted June 27, 2012 - 12:15 AM

ha

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users