61 replies to this topic

#21 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,949 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 19, 2012 - 10:05 PM

C'mon guys.....

Yes, he expects Pau Gasol to be in a Lakers uniform to start next seasom after trying to trade him all of last season. Right.

Again, what's he going to say when asked about Bynum/Gasol? "We are going to shop them around all summer." Thats not going to happen and risk immature Bynum throwing a hissy fit.

All of last season the front office tried to make changes, I expect nothing less this off season. Just be patient and not believe everything you hear from personnel that NEEDS to be politically correct so the media doesn't spin something he words incorrectly.

The only one who will have a hissy fit is gasol about being shopped. Bynum has been shopped before and he took it fine when gasol got shopped he turned into a little girl

#22 pll4

pll4

Rookie

• 236 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 10:06 PM

C'mon guys.....

Yes, he expects Pau Gasol to be in a Lakers uniform to start next seasom after trying to trade him all of last season. Right.

Again, what's he going to say when asked about Bynum/Gasol? "We are going to shop them around all summer." Thats not going to happen and risk immature Bynum throwing a hissy fit.

All of last season the front office tried to make changes, I expect nothing less this off season. Just be patient and not believe everything you hear from personnel that NEEDS to be politically correct so the media doesn't spin something he words incorrectly.

Jim Buss knows the pressure is on him now to do something great. We have all summer to deal with this stuff.

Yeah, but he didn't necessarily need to say, "Lakers fans shouldn't expect big moves". Worries me just a bit.

#23 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,486 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 10:07 PM

Why do people overreact to media protocol
Posted Image

#24 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 19, 2012 - 10:10 PM

Yeah, but he didn't necessarily need to say, "Lakers fans shouldn't expect big moves". Worries me just a bit.

I rarely take Jim's side but I have to here. He can say what he wants to say, Laker fans will still play 100s of dollars and go watch whatever product he puts out on the floor...championship caliber or not. He can afford to. They wont lose money, ratings wont go down and even his reputation can take a hit but after so much bashing I dont really think he cares. Hes doing what he can with the best of his abilities. The new CBA and the Chris Paul veto screwed up our franchise really bad in multiple ways. Thats the condition of our team.

But he cant say players are on the trade block or need to make improvements or whatever, he loses all leverage in the NBA circl. Everybody knows we need to make improvements but if he says it out there on record then he'll lose value in our trade assets. Cant have that.

I expect Pau to have a slight boost in value with the Olympics coming up

Edited by MDI, June 19, 2012 - 10:15 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#25 lodom7

lodom7

Rookie

• 928 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Kid
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted June 19, 2012 - 10:13 PM

why do people take this seriously? this team doesn't really NEED big moves, i mean a few moves here or there keeps us contender for the next two years until we have a ton of cap room in 2014. trading for a superstar can be dangerous now if we can't address more important needs (shooters)
Posted Image

Lamar Odom 2005-2011

#26 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 10:20 PM

You want to know why he said that? Because our fan base loves to expect these outrageously complicated deals that will net us three superstars to put us back on top every single off season.

What if he were to say "Lakers fans should expect big time moves that will put us back at the top of the NBA next season" and then have something fall through like a CP3 deal and only have some new bench players to show for it? Lakers fans would be pissed off because the outcry would be Jim lied to the fans.

He said the right thing. No one knew we were going to be a veto away from landing Chris Paul after our loss to the Mavs. The rumors will pick up in July and we'll be discussing 15 different options like we do every off season.

Mitch Kupchak for the past few years has said consistently "We don't intend to change the roster" and what happens? The roster changes.

Everything that happened this past season, from the veto, the Gasol rumors, the deadline deals (and failed ones) and the 2nd round exit all point to the team looking different next season. Also if you don't think Jerry Buss has a voice in this still is crazy. This is his baby and he won't just sit back and stay quiet while he loses money. This is Jim, Mitch, and Jerry. Things will be just fine. I have no reason to believe otherwise when you look at the track record of our front office.

#27 pll4

pll4

Rookie

• 236 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 10:22 PM

why do people take this seriously? this team doesn't really NEED big moves, i mean a few moves here or there keeps us contender for the next two years until we have a ton of cap room in 2014. trading for a superstar can be dangerous now if we can't address more important needs (shooters)

Well okay my question is how are we supposed to get some good shooters WITHOUT trading Bynum or Pau?? I'm hoping we can get Brandon Roy, but just adding him to the team they already have isn't going to make them win. And no I agree you don't necessarily need a superstar, but I hope if they can't or don't go after D Will, they do a trade such as Pau for Rudy Gay and another piece.

Edited by pll4, June 19, 2012 - 10:29 PM.

#28 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,047 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted June 19, 2012 - 10:36 PM

Also from this article, he says:

Interesting........

He shouldn't have sold off all those first round picks then what an idiot. :nah:

Also I hope he's just saying this for PR purposes otherwise we are screwed. Because not only does that mean we're not making any major moves till the end of Kobe's career but then we're going to try to build around...Bynum. And we know his ceiling is a 2nd option on a contender.

And Kobe should have spoken up more, he knows this team is [expletive]. And not just the bench.

#29 CTE WORLD

CTE WORLD

Rookie

• 969 posts
  • Fan Since:88
  • Fav. Laker:Magic,Worthy.and Kobe

Posted June 19, 2012 - 10:49 PM

Trade Pau for Barganani and the 8th pick Draft Austin Rivers
Free The Wave

#30 nikolatesla

nikolatesla

Rookie

• 391 posts
  • Name:Aykut
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 19, 2012 - 10:56 PM

if we dont make any moves, there will be blood.

#31 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,935 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 19, 2012 - 11:10 PM

If he says

"The chances of seeing Pau again are pretty bad, I intend on trading him for Deron Williams in a three team trade that will also land us Beasley, and Derrick Williams from Minnesota"

Then it wouldn't happen.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#32 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Rookie

• 1,051 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Robert Horry

Posted June 20, 2012 - 12:00 AM

You want to know why he said that? Because our fan base loves to expect these outrageously complicated deals that will net us three superstars to put us back on top every single off season.

What if he were to say "Lakers fans should expect big time moves that will put us back at the top of the NBA next
season" and then have something fall through like a CP3 deal and only have some new bench players to show for it? Lakers fans would be pissed off because the outcry would be Jim lied to the fans.

He said the right thing. No one knew we were going to be a veto away from landing Chris Paul after our loss to the
Mavs. The rumors will pick up in July and we'll be
discussing 15 different options like we do every off season.

Mitch Kupchak for the past few years has said consistently "We don't intend to change the roster" and what happens? The roster changes

Everything that happened this past season, from the veto, the Gasol rumors, the deadline deals (and failed ones) and the 2nd round exit all point to the team looking different next season. Also if you don't think Jerry Buss has a voice in this still is crazy. This is his baby and he won't just sit back and stay quiet while he loses money. This is Jim, Mitch, and Jerry. Things will be just fine. I have no reason
to believe otherwise when you look at the track record of our front office.

I mean he could have used a better choice of words. I
rather he said Mitch's classic line of "I think this roster can contend but if we see ways to improve the roster we will. If he had said that I would be just fine with his statement but instead he says don't expect major changes and that he is having a love affair with Bynum.

Edited by JayTheGreat, June 20, 2012 - 12:01 AM.

#33 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,487 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted June 20, 2012 - 12:11 AM

If we do decide to keep this core we better be having Roy, Beasley and Hill coming off the bench.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#34 Read React

Read React

Rookie

• 76 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 12:26 AM

I mean he could have used a better choice of words. I
rather he said Mitch's classic line of "I think this roster can contend but if we see ways to improve the roster we will. If he had said that I would be just fine with his statement but instead he says don't expect major changes and that he is having a love affair with Bynum.

That classic line you attribute to Mitch is the mantra of 29 other GMs in this league. Nothing special about it at all. Or maybe you just feel more assured when Mitch says it? But if that's the case, did you ever think that might be the very point Buss is saying what he's saying in the first place?

Laker fans aren't the only ones listening, you know. When Mitch says "no major moves will be made" and then he and Jim go out and nearly land CP3 right under everyone's nose, how do you think that washes with other teams? Moreover, how do you think that affects Mitch's ability to continue making moves in secret?

If anything, the lack of faith that so many fans have in Buss, while appalling on its own, is probably part of the reason the CP3 trade actually got as close as it did. You mean to tell me this idiot almost got the best PG in the league and shed cap space at the same time? Other GMs won't buy that, will they? Fans surely don't.

And who knows? Maybe that's the whole point.

If you really want an interesting angle on how the Lakers FO operates, play poker. A few of you might even get good enough that you find it a more productive use of your time than this anti-Jimbo circle jerk.

He shouldn't have sold off all those first round picks then what an idiot. :nah:

Oh yes, because #24 is our lucky number right? And Vujacic, Kapono, and Walton were doing oh so well rotting on the end of the bench, eating up cap space and roster spots.

Edited by Read React, June 20, 2012 - 12:31 AM.

#35 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted June 20, 2012 - 12:40 AM

This is what he's suppose to say.
htCCl0m.png

#36 pll4

pll4

Rookie

• 236 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 12:47 AM

If he says

"The chances of seeing Pau again are pretty bad, I intend on trading him for Deron Williams in a three team trade that will also land us Beasley, and Derrick Williams from Minnesota"

Then it wouldn't happen.

Lol, well I didn't expect him to say that. But his choice of words, along with the "Kobe likes this group" quote kind of got my worried.

#37 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted June 20, 2012 - 03:51 AM

lol they are PR words.
Laker fan for life.

#38 MrRJ

MrRJ

Rookie

• 1,040 posts
  • Name:Raymond Perez
  • Fan Since:I was born

Posted June 20, 2012 - 05:50 AM

This Lakers team will be better just solely on the fact that the players will be more familiar with Mike Brown's system. Probably not good enough for a championship though.

#39 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Rookie

• 1,051 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Robert Horry

Posted June 20, 2012 - 07:01 AM

All I know is Jim Buss better have Deron Williams in a lakers jersey next season or I'm going to flip. I don't give a [expletive] if they want Bynum. Send his ass to NJ and be done with it.

#40 evil Monkey

evil Monkey

Rookie

• 418 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 20, 2012 - 08:11 AM

pau for westbrook

LO [expletive]ING L
Posted Image

L.E.G.I.T.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users