Photo

Clippers & Celtics Reconvene On Kevin Garnett Trade (Pg. 2)

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,736 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted June 10, 2012 - 10:09 PM

Spurs Interested In Kevin Garnett

Posted Image

By Buck Harvey

The Spurs will consider everything and everyone this summer when free agency begins. But one option tossed out this weekend by one in the Spurs organization is not just another name.

Kevin Garnett.

Don’t know him?

He’s better known in San Antonio as Tim Duncan’s evil twin.

There was a time when it looked like Duncan and Garnett might face off against each other for the 2012 title. Duncan came within two wins of the Finals, Garnett one.

Now they are unrestricted free agents, and, as always, contrasts. While Duncan is expected to quietly re-sign this summer with the Spurs, no one is sure what happens next in Boston. Garnett added to the uncertainty Saturday night, leaving the locker room without talking to reporters.

Garnett could retire. He could sign another contract with the Celtics. Or the Celtics might not want to sign him so they can begin rebuilding.

“Hopefully management can do something to bring [Garnett] back, maybe add some pieces to this team that we need to get over the top,” Paul Pierce told reporters Saturday night. “If not, it’s been a tremendous run.”

The Celtics reacted after the loss Saturday night as if they knew the run is over. And if that is true, and if Garnett wants to continue playing, teams will line up to sign him. He can still defend, and he averaged more than 19 points, 10 rebounds and 36 minutes in the playoffs.

Some will have more money to offer than the Spurs will. Some might have more young talent to put around him. All the Spurs could give Garnett is the closest thing to what he had in Boston, a veteran core with a chance to contend.

But it’s the pairing of Garnett with Duncan that would make this free-agency signing a stunning story. While they would fit together on the court, they never have as people. They are similar in size, ability and birth (one month apart), yet have been opposites.

This spring told of that again: Sports Illustrated wrote Duncan “hates (Garnett) the way liberals hate Sean Hannity.”

Still, playing against someone isn’t the same as playing with him. A lot of scorers never liked Bruce Bowen defending them, for example, but they probably would have wanted him on their team.

So listen to what else Pierce told reporters Saturday about Garnett:

“He’s done everything for my career, just his locker room presence, his desire, his determination. Just his leadership. I said before, when Kevin first got here he really changed the culture of everything we did around here, you know, practice habits to the discipline. He made everybody accountable, from the ball boys to the chefs to the guy who flew the plane, everybody was accountable. It’s been tremendous to have him around, just the culture he brought, you know?”

Think Duncan could play with someone like that?

http://blog.mysanant...gether-at-last/

The Twin Towers reloaded?

Edited by LALakersFan4Life, February 21, 2013 - 09:30 AM.

#2 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted June 10, 2012 - 10:12 PM

WOW if they get him
Posted Image

#3 Klewfish

Klewfish

Reppin' LA on the East Coast

• 1,458 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:Game 4 of 2000 NBA Finals

Posted June 10, 2012 - 10:53 PM

Duncan hates Garnett, I don't think he'd want him on the team.
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

#4 CTE WORLD

CTE WORLD

Rookie

• 969 posts
  • Fan Since:88
  • Fav. Laker:Magic,Worthy.and Kobe

Posted June 10, 2012 - 11:13 PM

WOW if they get him

They'll look even older than they did against OKC
Free The Wave

#5 kfreud

kfreud

Rookie

• 537 posts
  • Name:Kyle
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe, Cap, Wilt

Posted June 10, 2012 - 11:36 PM

KG would look so goofy in a Spurs uni
Posted Image
This game's in the refrigerator, the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jello's jigglin'!"

#6 pointguard11

pointguard11

Starter

• 4,949 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 01:58 AM

KG would fit with any team including the Spurs. He is playing like he did 4 years ago and looks like he has another few years left.
"The way Steve is as a teammate, the way he sets the tone, the way the team kind of takes on his persona. As a coach, that's the best thing in the world. It's easy to coach. He's taking care of the chemistry. You just coach."

Mike D'Antoni

#7 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 11, 2012 - 07:06 AM

With the strong statements from Duncan, I don't see this happening

Pau Gasol is GONE

#8 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 11, 2012 - 07:08 AM

Duncan hates KG, do not see this happening at all.

#9 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,245 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 08:06 AM

Duncan hates Garnett, I don't think he'd want him on the team.

With the strong statements from Duncan, I don't see this happening

Duncan hates KG, do not see this happening at all.

Pretty much sums it up of what I was about to say.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

• 40,603 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 09:44 AM

What's with all this Duncan KG history you guys are mentioning? Sadly, I'm either unaware or I just don't remember.

Can some of you refresh my memory with some examples?

yo.

#11 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 10:04 AM

Duncan has mentioned it a few times like in this interview with SI a while back:

5 His Buddy KG

Just kidding, as this might count in his favor. In fact, Duncan hates Kevin Garnett. Hates him the way liberals hate Sean Hannity. This information comes from very reliable sources, who talk about how KG has made a career of trying to punk Duncan, baiting him and slapping him and whispering really weird smack into his ear. They talk about how funny this is, because the worst thing you can do as an opponent is piss off Duncan. Then, as Malik Rose says, "he f------ destroys you." Duncan's lifetime numbers versus Garnett's teams, by the way: 19.4 points per game, 11.6 boards and a 44--17 record, including the postseason.

Duncan is diplomatic about the topic. Asked if perhaps all those years battling Garnett have softened his feelings for the man, led to a Magic-Larry type of kinship, Duncan leans back on the couch in his hotel room and grins. There is a pause. A longer pause. Finally he says, "Define kinship."

http://sportsillustr...491/9/index.htm

He really doesn't like KG at all.

• 40,603 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 01:49 PM

^ Damn, lol. That was pretty convincing to say the least.

yo.

#13 pointguard11

pointguard11

Starter

• 4,949 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 07:56 PM

Still, playing against someone isn’t the same as playing with him. A lot of scorers never liked Bruce Bowen defending them, for example, but they probably would have wanted him on their team.

So listen to what else Pierce told reporters Saturday about Garnett:

“He’s done everything for my career, just his locker room presence, his desire, his determination. Just his leadership. I said before, when Kevin first got here he really changed the culture of everything we did around here, you know, practice habits to the discipline. He made everybody accountable, from the ball boys to the chefs to the guy who flew the plane, everybody was accountable. It’s been tremendous to have him around, just the culture he brought, you know?”

That comment by PP says it all...

Pop would make it work and KG is a total team player. We could use a guy like that on the lakers. KG would be great for Bynum and Hill.

Edited by pointguard11, June 11, 2012 - 07:57 PM.

"The way Steve is as a teammate, the way he sets the tone, the way the team kind of takes on his persona. As a coach, that's the best thing in the world. It's easy to coach. He's taking care of the chemistry. You just coach."

Mike D'Antoni

#14 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 10:45 PM

Tim Duncan dislikes KG more than any other player in the entire league. He would not approve of KG on his team, and the Spurs are not stupid enough to piss off one of the greatest players of all time in the twilight of his career. Duncan and Pop see eye-to-eye on most things and I seriously doubt that Pop would even consider KG due to the history he has with Tim Duncan.

I don't see Tim Duncan welcoming Kevin Garnett with open arms after nearly 15 years of having to deal with his cheap-shots, trash talk, and generally being an ass on the court. I'd be shocked if it did happen.

#15 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted June 12, 2012 - 01:24 AM

If the Lakers acquire Deron Williams then KG should join us. He'd be a fool not to.

D-Will/KB24/MWP/KG/Drew or Dwight

Championship.

Dynasty.
htCCl0m.png

#16 Azazello

Azazello

Sixth Man

• 3,544 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 06:04 AM

Trade Gasol and Sessions for Deron.

Trade Bynum and Blake for Howard

Sign KG to vet minimum

Deron
Kobe
MWP
KG
Dwight

#17 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,736 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 07:53 PM

Source: Kevin Garnett In No Hurry To Re-Sign With Celtics

Posted Image

By Steve Bulpett / Celtics Beat

The Celtics [team stats] would love to learn Kevin Garnett’s plans, hopes and desires as soon as possible, but according to sources close to the situation, the Hall of Famer-to-be might be waiting on the team.

By all indications, the Celts have made it clear they want Garnett to return for at least the 2012-13 season, and there is strong evidence from those involved that he is more than willing to discuss that possibility.

And here is where the details make their appearance.

Each side in this situation has a specific set of needs. The question will be whether there is enough common ground to have the 36-year-old KG again patrolling the parquet.

From the Celtics’ end of the spectrum, they are bent on keeping their flexibility as they move through what is, to some extent, a transition period. That means the C’s would be overjoyed to get Garnett to stay on a one-year deal, though there is at least some reason to believe they would discuss an option for 2013-14, knowing KG’s pride wouldn’t allow him to stay if he wasn’t a factor.

Financially, the Celtics don’t want to go overboard, but considering it’s unlikely they will be able to find a worthy recipient for what could be significant salary cap space, they could afford a decent number for Garnett to keep said space warm. But it won’t be in the same area code as the $21 million he pulled down this season.

The bottom line for the Celts is that they could greatly benefit from the presence of a veteran who takes practice so seriously (and it is presumed the club actually will have a few practices when the schedule returns to normal next season) and has a strong effect on younger players. It’s also important that the guy can still, you know, play the game.

Garnett was a revelation in the latter portion of the season, which is a fairly bold concept for someone in his 17th year. The way he took to the center position and showed a far greater willingness to play inside on offense answered some long-held prayers by the staff.

Even if Danny Ainge is able to put better players around him next season and doesn’t need him to score as much, Garnett still will be a threat and will make life easier for his teammates.

But quality of life is an issue, too, for KG, and he has found a comfort zone with the Celts that would make it hard for him to go elsewhere if he isn’t able to find a mutually beneficial deal here.

In this regard, some close to the issue think it’s possible Garnett waits to see how the club plans to shape the roster.

“Kevin’s very loyal, and he hates change,” one source said. “But I think it’d be hard for him to come back if it’s a total rebuild. If he’s going to play, he has to be playing for something.

“I think he’ll wait to see what’s going to happen. If Danny can give him a solid answer right away, then maybe he gives them an answer, too. But KG’s going to want to know who he’ll be playing with.”

Another factor is who he’ll be playing for, as Garnett clearly has developed a strong affection for Doc Rivers.

So if the Celts can convince him through their offseason moves that they will be able to contend, and Garnett has a coach with whom he’s comfortable, the matter then comes down to a contract.

There has been no talk that he will try to break the bank, but there are those who say KG should be forgiven if he’s wary, adding that on one occasion in Minnesota, a promise to bring back certain players was not kept.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1061138546&srvc=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bostonherald%2Fsports%2Fbasketball+%28Celtics+%26+NBA+-+BostonHerald.com%29

#18 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted June 14, 2012 - 11:31 PM

Come to L.A. KG!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Deron
Kobe
MWP
KG
Bynum

Dynasty. :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
htCCl0m.png

#19 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,967 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 15, 2012 - 10:33 PM

Oh ya we should defiantly do that. And how exactly would we sign a free agent???? Eben a S&T is unlikely cuz you really think the celtics are gonna want to do that with us. I can't even think what we could give them. No chance he's coming here.

#20 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,736 posts

Posted June 17, 2012 - 11:11 AM

Kendrick Perkins Expects Kevin Garnett To Return To Celtics

Posted Image

By Gary Washburn
Globe Staff / June 17, 2012

MIAMI - Oklahoma City center Kendrick Perkins said he has talked with former Celtics teammate Kevin Garnett and believes the 17-year veteran wants to return to the NBA next season.

Garnett did not speak with the media after the Celtics’ Game 7 loss to the Heat June 9 and has given no hint of his plans next season. He hugged Doc Rivers after exiting Game 7 and gave the coach a pat on the head, moving Rivers nearly to tears.

Garnett is an unrestricted free agent and could re-sign with the Celtics or test the market and be courted by teams for the first time in his career. Garnett has never been an unrestricted free agent.

“I feel like if he does return to basketball, I think that that would be the team,’’ Perkins said of the Celtics. “I heard Kevin say a few times that he wouldn’t want to play for anybody but Doc, so it will be interesting to see. I still think he got a lot more years in him. He got a lot of love for the game and it would be hard to see Kevin walk away from the game right now.’’

When asked if he sensed Garnett wanted to keep playing, Perkins said, “I do. I think he found some kind of new life, what do you call it? The fountain of youth, just how he’s been playing over these last couple of games in the playoffs and in the regular season, he’s almost a 20-10 guy. I hope he does come back. It’s good for the NBA. He’s still an icon in the league and you just like to see what he brings to the table.’’

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2012/06/17/kendrick_perkins_believes_celtics_garnett_will_return_to_the_nba_perkins_believes_garnett_will_return_to_celtics_next_season/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+Boston+Celtics+news

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users