• Fav. Laker:Nick, Gary

Posted June 10, 2012 - 07:26 AM

2002 - Los Angeles Lakers win title with Shaquille O'Neal
2006 - Miami Heat win title with Shaquille O'Neal

2 Years Later

2004 - Shaquille O'Neal leaves the Lakers, Lakers become lottery team
2008 - Shaquille O'Neal leaves the Heat, Miami become lottery team

After that

2006, 2007 - After missing the playoffs, the Lakers have back to back 1st round exits. Their first playoff bout ends in 7, their second in 5. During this time, the team is essentially Kobe Bryant (A top-5 player in the league) and garbage.
2009, 2010 - After missing the playoffs, the Heat have back to back 1st round exits. Their first playoff bout ends in 7, their second in 5. During this time, the team is essentially Dwayne Wade (A top-5 player in the league) and garbage.

2008 - The Lakers' solid offseason/trade deadline allows them to become one of the best teams in the league.
2011 - The Heat's solid offseason/trade deadline allows them to become one of the best teams in the league.

2008 - The Lakers make it all the way to the Finals, without much competition, only to lose in 6 to a defensive minded team full of hungry veterans. Their star player recieves a ton of hate for his poor performance.
2011 - The Heat make it all the way to the Finals, without much competition, only to lose in 6 to a defensive minded team full of hungry veterans. Their star player recieves a ton of hate for his poor performance.

2009 - The Lakers make it back to the Finals, and get matched up against an unexperienced team featuring one of the brightest young stars in the NBA.
2012 - The Heat make it back to the Finals, and get matched up against an unexperienced team featuring one of the brightest young stars in the NBA.

2009 - The Lakers win in 5, proving all the doubters wrong.
2012 - The Heat ?????????????????????????????????

Just some cool coincidences I thought of this morning. Doesn't really mean anything but it's fairly interesting.

Posted Image

#2 citr92

citr92

Rookie

• 447 posts
  • Name:Cody
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted June 10, 2012 - 08:15 AM

too bad the similarities stop in the finals,

thunder in a sweep

#3 Azazello

Azazello

Sixth Man

• 3,439 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 08:22 AM

Very interesting. I don't know who else could have come up with those coincidences. I will only say the Lakers were heavily favored against the Orlando Magic and opened up as a 7 point favorite. The Magic were the "happy to be there" team (as the media puts it), so they were not expected to defeat the Lakers.

The Magic were viewed as a team who were fortunate to be in that position because Orlando doesn't beat a Celtics team with a healthy KG. Oklahoma City swept the defending champion Mavericks, and to be fair, a different team than the '11 team, but it was an impressive performance. They handled the Lakers in five games, and upset the favored Spurs without home court. OKC went through the gatekeepers in the West. Nobody since the '98 Utah Jazz has represented the western conference in the Finals except for Dallas, San Antonio and the Lakers.

The Miami-OKC final is different because the Thunder can win this series. Oklahoma will be favored to win the series, and they have the home court advantage. I am picking Miami.

#4 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,666 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 10, 2012 - 08:36 AM

That's what I've been saying. Heat in 5.

#5 211275

Rookie

• 189 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 08:57 AM

Heat in 5? More like Thunder in 5 LOL. Well, actually I am picking OKC to win in 6. They have an actual team thats 8-9 deep, not a big 2 1/2 and garbage. Sefolosha will bother Wade same way he bothered Kobe. Even if Wade goes off, who cares? Kobe put up 42 in game 5 and we still got blownout by 16. OKC have the individual defenders to keep Wade and LeBron in check and their rotating and help defense is probably the best and the quickest in the NBA. You think Chalmers, Battier and the other garbage scrubs on the Heat are going to beat OKC when Bynum and Gasol couldn't? LOL. Oh and Brooks coaches better than Spoelstra can in his dreams. I think Boston would have given OKC more trouble, this is going to be a cake walk.

Edited by 211275, June 10, 2012 - 08:58 AM.

#6 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,666 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted June 10, 2012 - 09:18 AM

Heat in 5? More like Thunder in 5 LOL. Well, actually I am picking OKC to win in 6. They have an actual team thats 8-9 deep, not a big 2 1/2 and garbage. Sefolosha will bother Wade same way he bothered Kobe. Even if Wade goes off, who cares? Kobe put up 42 in game 5 and we still got blownout by 16. OKC have the individual defenders to keep Wade and LeBron in check and their rotating and help defense is probably the best and the quickest in the NBA. You think Chalmers, Battier and the other garbage scrubs on the Heat are going to beat OKC when Bynum and Gasol couldn't? LOL. Oh and Brooks coaches better than Spoelstra can in his dreams. I think Boston would have given OKC more trouble, this is going to be a cake walk.

Not saying you're wrong but anything can happen. We got differnt perspectives for the series but I see the Heat taking this in 5.

#7 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,432 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 09:36 AM

I'm not superstitious, but that's pretty cool.

#8 j0k3r

j0k3r

Rookie

• 295 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Shaq, KOBE

Posted June 10, 2012 - 12:56 PM

interesting...

#9 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,693 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted June 10, 2012 - 01:02 PM

Oh come on. Sefelosha and Harden did not keep Kobe in check, he lit a fire under their asses 3 straight games, Games 3, 4 and 5. He had 36, 38, 42. Wade and Kobe are too different players.

#10 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,631 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 10, 2012 - 02:52 PM

2002 - Los Angeles Lakers win title with Shaquille O'Neal
2006 - Miami Heat win title with Shaquille O'Neal

2 Years Later

2004 - Shaquille O'Neal leaves the Lakers, Lakers become lottery team
2008 - Shaquille O'Neal leaves the Heat, Miami become lottery team

After that

2006, 2007 - After missing the playoffs, the Lakers have back to back 1st round exits. Their first playoff bout ends in 7, their second in 5. During this time, the team is essentially Kobe Bryant (A top-5 player in the league) and garbage.
2009, 2010 - After missing the playoffs, the Heat have back to back 1st round exits. Their first playoff bout ends in 7, their second in 5. During this time, the team is essentially Dwayne Wade (A top-5 player in the league) and garbage.

2008 - The Lakers' solid offseason/trade deadline allows them to become one of the best teams in the league.
2011 - The Heat's solid offseason/trade deadline allows them to become one of the best teams in the league.

2008 - The Lakers make it all the way to the Finals, without much competition, only to lose in 6 to a defensive minded team full of hungry veterans. Their star player recieves a ton of hate for his poor performance.
2011 - The Heat make it all the way to the Finals, without much competition, only to lose in 6 to a defensive minded team full of hungry veterans. Their star player recieves a ton of hate for his poor performance.

2009 - The Lakers make it back to the Finals, and get matched up against an unexperienced team featuring one of the brightest young stars in the NBA.
2012 - The Heat make it back to the Finals, and get matched up against an unexperienced team featuring one of the brightest young stars in the NBA.

2009 - The Lakers win in 5, proving all the doubters wrong.
2012 - The Heat ?????????????????????????????????

Just some cool coincidences I thought of this morning. Doesn't really mean anything but it's fairly interesting.

The Magic had one bright star, the Thunder have 2.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#11 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted June 10, 2012 - 04:59 PM

WHATTTT? Cake walk... No damn team in the NBA finals is a cakewalk besides the 2002 NJN lol... Thisis a team with 3 legitimate stars that have made the finals before and are actualyl pretty hungry... This is a COIN TOSS at best.
Laker fan for life.

#12 pll4

pll4

Rookie

• 236 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 08:41 PM

Lol those things are similar, but that doesn't mean just because the Lakers won after the year they lost in the '08 finals means the Heat will now win this year.

#13 211275

Rookie

• 189 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 09:03 PM

WHATTTT? Cake walk... No damn team in the NBA finals is a cakewalk besides the 2002 NJN lol... Thisis a team with 3 legitimate stars that have made the finals before and are actualyl pretty hungry... This is a COIN TOSS at best.

Not really. Its a team of 3 stars, everyone else is garbage. OKC are 8-9 deep with multiple guys who can beat you. Chalmers doesn't have a prayer to stay with Westbrook and if Ibaka and Perkins could take Bynum and Gasol out 4 straight games, Bosh and Anthony are totally screwed. Sefelosha's size and length will give Wade fits, Durant can hang with LeBron and the Heat have zero answers for Harden. Its going to be a blowout. I really think OKC wins in 5 but I am saying 6.

#14 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 10:13 PM

The Magic had one bright star, the Thunder have 2.

Three.

#15 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted June 10, 2012 - 11:10 PM

Not really. Its a team of 3 stars, everyone else is garbage. OKC are 8-9 deep with multiple guys who can beat you. Chalmers doesn't have a prayer to stay with Westbrook and if Ibaka and Perkins could take Bynum and Gasol out 4 straight games, Bosh and Anthony are totally screwed. Sefelosha's size and length will give Wade fits, Durant can hang with LeBron and the Heat have zero answers for Harden. Its going to be a blowout. I really think OKC wins in 5 but I am saying 6.

This is definitely between 6-7 games either way... And i dont know who wins.. itl be a close one.
Laker fan for life.

#16 SHAQ WHERE YOU AT

SHAQ WHERE YOU AT

cool kid

• 4,362 posts
  • Name:Super Stud

Posted June 11, 2012 - 11:21 AM

OKC are 8-9 deep? Funny [expletive]

They have 3 scorers. Nobody else can score for [expletive]. Ibaka can occasionally get 15 but he's not by any means a scorer. Who else is gonna beat the Heat outside of their Big 3? Sefolosha? Perkins? Cook? Lol.

Posted Image

#17 bobekryant

bobekryant

Rookie

• 469 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 01:30 PM

So does that mean we'll have a Mavs/Heat rematch next year?

#18 211275

Rookie

• 189 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 01:38 PM

OKC are 8-9 deep? Funny [expletive]

They have 3 scorers. Nobody else can score for [expletive]. Ibaka can occasionally get 15 but he's not by any means a scorer. Who else is gonna beat the Heat outside of their Big 3? Sefolosha? Perkins? Cook? Lol.

Ok, so lets assume the big 3 on each team cancel each other out. You think Chalmers, Anthony, Miller and Battier are better than Sefolosha, Ibaka, Perkins and Fisher? LMAO....wait, let me catch my breath...LMAO. Chalmers and Anthony are garbage who would be coming off the bench on almost every other NBA team.

Edited by 211275, June 11, 2012 - 01:40 PM.

#19 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,304 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted June 11, 2012 - 02:17 PM

Lebron will be Lebron and wade will be wade but OKC plays as a team.

#20 SHAQ WHERE YOU AT

SHAQ WHERE YOU AT

cool kid

• 4,362 posts
  • Name:Super Stud

Posted June 11, 2012 - 04:11 PM

Ok, so lets assume the big 3 on each team cancel each other out. You think Chalmers, Anthony, Miller and Battier are better than Sefolosha, Ibaka, Perkins and Fisher? LMAO....wait, let me catch my breath...LMAO. Chalmers and Anthony are garbage who would be coming off the bench on almost every other NBA team.

Chalmers is underrated. He would come off the bench only because of the sheer talent at PG in the league at the minute. Far from garbage. Nice job forgetting to mention Haslem who is better than all of them other than Ibaka btw.

Chalmers as a scorer > All those 4 btw

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users