Photo

Kevin Garnett To Decide Playing Status On Year-To-Year Basis

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,599 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted June 09, 2012 - 01:49 AM

Kevin Garnett To Consider Retirement After Playoffs?

Posted Image

By Ben Golliver | NBA Blogger

Is the show almost over for the Big Ticket?

Boston Celtics All-Star forward Kevin Garnett has put together another excellent season in his 17th year in the league. And NBA.com reports that it could be Garnett's last in the NBA.

Where might he take his nasty next? Back to Boston? To another NBA team? Or home to stay, where he can glare at the kids who stray onto his lawn and talk trash once a week with the garbage men?

It is a decision -- actually, a sequence of them -- that hangs over the Hall of Fame-bound player, the Celtics and any other teams that might be interested in getting some KG for themselves. It's a situation about which Garnett isn't talking, of course, since he does so little of that these days once he steps off a court, his rapport with the media more cantankerous than ever.

But at least one league source who knows Garnett well thinks a proud, strong exit and, as they say in show biz, a chance to leave 'em wanting more might be his plan. "I think that's what we've been seeing in these playoffs," the friend of Garnett said. "The way he's been playing, it's like he wants to go out on his terms."

Garnett, whose current contract ends following the season, has discussed the possibility of retirement before.

Back in Dec. 2010, he said that the 2010-2011 season could be his last if the upcoming lockout cancelled the 2011-2012 season. In Sept. 2011, he said simply that he wanted to retire as a member of the Celtics and was noncomittal about a basketball future past the 2011-2012 season.

“My body and I gotta actually have a one-on-one to see, future-wise, where I'm at and what I want to do," Garnett said at the time. "So I will make that decision.”

At 36, Garnett averaged 15.8 points, 8.2 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 1.0 blocks while shooting 50.3 percent from the floor and anchoring Boston's defense, which ranked No. 2 in the NBA. He was selected to his 14th All-Star Game and was named to the All-Defensive Second Team. He's continued to be productive throughout the playoffs, averaging 19.4 points and 10.5 rebounds so far during the postseason as the Celtics continue play in the Eastern Conference Finals.

Despite his age, the quality of his play this season has made a multi-year, 8-figure per year deal contract a legitimate possibility. With career NBA earnings of $291+ million, of course, this decision really isn't about the money. It all comes down to that one-on-one conversation with his body.

http://www.cbssports...-after-playoffs

I'd be shocked if this is true and it happens. Kevin Garnett has played well in the Playoffs.

Edited by LALakersFan4Life, December 31, 2012 - 02:05 PM.

#2 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted June 09, 2012 - 03:32 AM

Thats crazy i remember watching him with my dad when he was in Minni he was my dads fav player.
Posted Image

#3 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 09, 2012 - 11:40 AM

He's only been in the NBA a year longer than Kobe too...

#4 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,934 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted June 09, 2012 - 12:17 PM

Everything's on the table. I bet the Heat recruit him pretty heavily.

He's only been in the NBA a year longer than Kobe too...

And Fisher.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#5 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 09, 2012 - 01:28 PM

Used to be my 2nd fav player until 08

#6 Azazello

Azazello

Sixth Man

• 3,445 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 03:26 PM

KG has one more season and that is it.

#7 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,599 posts

Posted June 21, 2012 - 09:34 AM

Danny Ainge: Kevin Garnett Considering Retirement

Posted Image

By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

Boston Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge spoke with free-agent center Kevin Garnett last week, but Ainge said no decision on Garnett's future is imminent. That leaves Boston's offseason plan in a state of uncertainty with the new league year approaching July 1.

Despite a strong finish to his 17th season in the league, the 36-year-old Garnett is pondering retirement and needs time to make a decision about his basketball future.

"Kevin and I had a good conversation last week and the conversation was mostly on how he needs time before he makes that decision," Ainge said during an in-studio appearance Wednesday afternoon on Boston sports radio WEEI-93.7 FM. "I think we'll talk within the next week, but I'm not so sure that's a decision day for him. He may want to wait and see what sort of team we have. I'm not sure.

"I know that he wants to come back. I know he likes Boston, and I know he loves playing for (coach) Doc (Rivers). He loves everything about the team and the city and so forth. I think that his decision will be, 'Do I really want to play? Or do I not want to play.' "

If Garnett needs additional time for a decision, it puts Boston in a tough spot with both the NBA draft approaching later this month and cap space tied up in holds for Garnett and Ray Allen when free agency opens in early July.

"It is complicated and the timing is complicated. Juggling all these different scenarios is difficult," Ainge said. "But the reality is that, on July 1, Kevin Garnett is on our books for $21 million until we either sign him to a new contract, or renounce him, which means we can't re-sign him. Otherwise, it really limits our cap space."

Ainge admitted that renouncing Garnett -- or any of Boston's big-name free agents such as Allen, Brandon Bass, or Jeff Green -- is unlikely. Ainge hinted that re-signing the team's own free agents, particularly with a slim pool of available bodies on the open market, might be the team's best approach this offseason.

But it all starts with Garnett, and Ainge understands why he is weighing the decision to possibly walk away.

"KG has said over and over again, he doesn't want to go out not being a significant player. He doesn't want to be eaten alive by new young players. And you can see his will," Ainge said. "But, at the same time, I don't think people realize how hard it is for him to get ready to play. It's really draining for guys that age, to just prepare to play -- two or three hours worth of treatment, stretching.

"The days are different than when you are 25 or 30 and you just sort of wake up from your nap and show up to the gym and play. The wear and tear. It's what you eat, how you live, it is a season-long thing, and it's much more exhausting at that age."

Ainge acknowledged that Garnett could sign elsewhere if he decides to return next season but echoed the prevailing notion that he likely will be back in Boston if he decides to play another year.

"I don't think that's what he wants to do, but it is a possibility, sure," Ainge said when asked about Garnett playing for another team. "I didn't get that feeling, but he definitely has that option. Who knows what happens over the course of time?

"I hope that he wants to come back. That's sort of been the indication that, if he's going to play, that he would like to come back to Boston. That's where we are right now."

To close out the multi-segment interview, the conversation circled back to Garnett. Ainge reiterated that he isn't sure when he'll have a decision from Garnett: "I don't really want to push Kevin... right now, I'm letting him get back to me and hopefully he'll do that soon."

But pressed on how the Celtics really need an answer by July 1 in order to know how to attack free agency, Ainge acknowledged that Garnett is likely aware of that.

"(Garnett) doesn't want to (hinder Boston's offseason plan)," Ainge said. "He's not looking to do that. Kevin is a team guy. The last thing he wants to do is put us in a tough position. Hopefully he wants to come back."

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/8078525/danny-ainge-says-kevin-garnett-weighing-return-boston-celtics-retirement-other-options

#8 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,599 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 02:14 PM

Kevin Garnett To Decide Playing Status On Year-To-Year Basis

Posted Image

By Marc J. Spears

SAN FRANCISCO – Kevin Garnett signed a three-year, $36 million contract in the offseason, but admits there was a time when he wondered whether he wanted to continue playing this deep into his career. Now 36 and in his 18th NBA season, Garnett has played in more than 1,400 games, regular season and playoffs combined. And he made clear in an interview with Yahoo! Sports that he won't stick around just to stick around if he feels he can't play at a high level.

Question: Have you ever thought seriously about retiring?

K.G.: "Absolutely. Absolutely. There was a time where I felt like, 'Can I still be productive? Can I still bring something to the table?' I look at myself in the mirror from a real perspective. …I still can play and I still can bring something to a team."

Q: You don't appear to be the type of player that will continue playing if you can't at a high level. True?

K.G.: "Performance is something we all strive to be better at. I'm no different than that. Who wants to look bad? Who wants to come out here and look bad? I want to always bring something to the table. More importantly, I want to be able to enjoy the guys and the chemistry. When it starts to feel like work, I'm going to have to do something else."

Q: How many more seasons do you see yourself playing?

K.G.: "I don't know. I will make a decision every year. I want to make sure I am having fun. I want to make sure I am productive. I got a lot of responsibility on me right now. I'll figure it out. But right now I'm still enjoying myself for the most part."

Q: What is your responsibility?

K.G.: "I have a lot of responsibility at 36. I don't have the presence of having anything less than that. I have to guard the best post player. I have to strategize for defensive post and defensive strategies. I always constantly talk with other guys versus having a solidified role or a lesser role. I'm still in the thick of it."

Q: You said several years ago that once you retire you are going to disappear. What did you mean by that?

K.G.: "Go away. Not be around the game. Some players take some jobs involved in the league and do some things. I think I am going to take an alternate road. Who knows what the future holds? I'm going to disappear."

Q: Could you see yourself ever coaching in the NBA or being a television analyst?

K.G.: "Coaching takes patience. I'm more enthused when teaching players who want it versus when I have to. Commentary is an opinion. I don't think people take the initiative to learn the player that they are speaking on. Everybody has something to say.

"Everybody was 'great' when they played. Ha. That's not the case. Everybody has tough nights. You kind of hold athletes to a perfect standard at times. Sometimes when I hear commentating, it's sickening. People who never played the game, people who never played in the league have an opinion, and that's all it is. You are here to educate the watcher or the viewer. Sometimes it comes off as personal. I don't ever want to come off like that. My opinion is my opinion about someone.

"That's not to say I wouldn't commentate, but that's not my forte. I respect every player and every athlete who brings something to that team or they wouldn't have that option. When I separate from the game, it will be all the way out. If I say or speak or do whatever I have to do, it will be strictly from a personal [level]."

Q: So what else could you see yourself doing outside of basketball after retirement?

K.G.: "To tell you the truth, who knows? My personal preference is for me, myself to enjoy and lay back."

Q: What type of legacy do you hope to leave?

K.G.: "My mark is just simple. A guy who was able to be versatile in the game, was able to do multiple things, was always a team guy and played his ass off. That's me. And whoever didn't know me, didn't know me. If they heard stories, that's what it was, a story. That's what I am.

"I never have been nothing else. I've never been an individual guy. I never cared about the accolades. I've always been driven by the competition and the learning process."

Q: What do you think of the state of the Celtics?

K.G.: "We are just trying to get it right and be more consistent in what we do. A lot of it is effort for us. We just got to get back. We'll get it."

Q: How do your knees and your body feel?

K.G.: "My body is good. I'm grinding. I'm OK. I'm here grinding just like everybody else. …Body-wise at this point it's a consistent thing every day. I'm no different than anybody else in the league."

Q: What physical maintenance do you have to go through daily?

K.G.: "The preparation has to be consistent. There are no days off. You have to get the body going. The game is still the same. I've always been a repetition type of person. From getting the body going to being consistent to what you are doing. The players are younger. It's the same game. But the players are younger, jumping higher and are more explosive. So you have to adjust to that.

"I watch a lot of film on myself still and try to be consistent with giving different defenses different looks. But at the end of the day. it's the same game. It's a bit faster. I just have to adjust to it and I'm adjusting to it pretty good. You got to get the '76 Mustang warmed up before you take it out on the road these days."

Q: You have a strong respect for the history of the game and your predecessors. Do you think today's younger players have the same?

K.G.: "I hope the young boys know that [respect] is earned. You just don't get respect in this league. You earn it."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kevin-garnett--i-never-cared-about-the-accolades-233927861.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users