David Lee wants $17M per season for Bynum? (Update Pg. 4)

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#81 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted October 21, 2008 - 09:11 PM

I agree about 17 being ridiculous. But, if we don't pay that, someone else gladly will.

Oh, I know about that. I've been trying to convince these guys :badmood:

But if Buss is going to give somebody ridiculous money, he better be a marketing gold mine like LeBron.

Imagine a team with BOTH LeBron and Kobe. Kobe is great enough. But Both? That's more $$$$$$ for Buss.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#82 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,891 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 21, 2008 - 10:41 PM

Just a correction, for the Bynumites...

Andrew SHOWED signs. Past tense. So far, since his surgery, Bynum hasn't shown us jack. And yet, you want to throw Buss's wallet at him... because Bogut got so much money.

Fact of the matter is, the Lakers can and should wait. Anything any other team throws at him, the Lakers can match and exceed. So there isn't any need to appease the cry-baby at this point.

Nut up and prove yourself, Andrew. Until then... shut the Hell up.

Sorry but you're missing the point I'm trying to make.

Bynum has talent. He's shown that he can play at a high level in the league. He's ALWAYS shown flashes. Now, we know that even if he only duplicates what he did at the start of last season (which is apparent by his start in the preseason), he will be getting paid AT market value if we max him out.

And I'm not joking.

What he did last season easily rivaled anything that the other "best BIG man" in the league did...and on both ends of the court. There is no reason to believe that we (as the LAKERS) should expect him to have to perform BETTER than EVERY OTHER BIG to warrant MARKET VALUE for BIGS. He's at max level now, even though he's not NEARLY at his MAX potential.

I agree that Bynum should continue to get better. That's common sense.

Where I completely disagree is that he has more to prove to warrant getting maxed out. Look around at what similar players are getting paid and why teams are willing to pay them. It's the market. Just the nature of the beast.

And if LAL thinks they should be playing HARD BALL? They are STUPID...and I don't use that word lightly. ANY team...let me repeat that for EMPHASIS...ANY TEAM will max Bynum out as soon as he becomes available. Take that chance and your hopes of a future franchise player drops back on the shoulders of Farmar and Sasha...

Yes. Scary.

Pay the guy. Offer incentives or bonuses for playing a full season or 15/10/3 seasons...whatever....that could keep him motivated. But at the end of the day, pay the guy.

Edited by GCMD, October 21, 2008 - 10:44 PM.

#83 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted October 21, 2008 - 10:46 PM

im for paying him, but him having swelling in his knee right now would make me wary if i was the lakers and buss, maybe to other teams as well, i actually think he deserves 13-15 direct pay (more than the so-called 10 the lakers are lowballing) with a possible 16-17 mill including the incetives, like games played and stats accrued, the only reason is that i dont want a guy like jermaine oneal that is really good but has a injury history and we cant trade him later (even though they did lol) because hes getting paid 17.5 million cuz we maxed him out
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#84 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,891 posts

Posted October 21, 2008 - 10:49 PM

David Lee is STUPID and the Lakers are RETARDED.

No way we get Bynum for 10 million a year...that's INSULTING!!!!

That' less than LO is likely to get around the league this summer!!!!!

LAL is :rock: ing (bleeping, not the bad words you're thinking) up again with a STUPID LOW-BALL offer like this!!!

I'd rather Bynum go to another team than take this offer. Unless the Lakers know something about his knee that we don't...which is entirely likely.

#85 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,891 posts

Posted October 21, 2008 - 10:57 PM

im for paying him, but him having swelling in his knee right now would make me wary if i was the lakers and buss, maybe to other teams as well, i actually think he deserves 13-15 direct pay (more than the so-called 10 the lakers are lowballing) with a possible 16-17 mill including the incetives, like games played and stats accrued, the only reason is that i dont want a guy like jermaine oneal that is really good but has a injury history and we cant trade him later (even though they did lol) because hes getting paid 17.5 million cuz we maxed him out

Swelling is easily explainable. Not a big issue.

Pain and decreased range of motion? Those are scary.

After having knee surgery, any workout he participated in was controlled and designed to strengthen his knee in a way that gave him confidence to get back on the court.

THIS is the time where is getting exposure to REAL GAME action, which can't be simulated or controlled and pushes the knee to its limits. He works it back into shape on the court, getting out all of the kinks, getting that joint back into it's groove.

If it continues to swell, you go back in...but that's not something that you rush to do. He's had a look-see done. He's had a cleaning done. NOW, you wait to see how his knee responds to ON-COURT action. It is entirely possible that the swelling goes away on it's own.

There are possible reasons for swelling but they range from benign to worst case. Too early to even discuss either in depth.

#86 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*

Posted October 21, 2008 - 11:27 PM

David Lee is on crack if he really thinks the Lakers are going to give Bynum the max, when he's still limping on the court.

#87 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted October 22, 2008 - 08:06 AM

David Lee is on crack if he really thinks the Lakers are going to give Bynum the max, when he's still limping on the court.

Cuban gave Dumpier 60 million. There will be somebody in free agency who will give Bynum the money if we don't.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#88 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted October 22, 2008 - 03:49 PM

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#89 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,011 posts

Posted October 22, 2008 - 03:56 PM

In short, I do hope the Lakers sign Bynum to the max (or close enough to make his agent shut up) and then he flourishes.

In reality, I know that Bynum's best season-to-date was cut short due to injury, and it's not unreasonable for the Lakers to want to see how he holds up this year, before inking him to the long-term deal that I think that they probably do ultimately want to give him.

All that said, the Lakers do have Kobe, Pau, and LO's big contract. I think the Lakers brass does feel as if they have some flexibility, if they don't find Bynum worthy of a max deal, and he decides to leave.

Out of curiosity, would other teams trade young stars of their own for Bynum?

Would Portland trade Oden for Bynum? Oden is cheaper for longer, but Oden has a bigger injury history.

Would OKC trade Durant for Bynum? Small for big. Big for small. Salaries the same for now.

Is it possible that the Lakers will dangle Bynum for a younger up & comer in an attempt to give them a little more time to decide whether or not they are ready/willing/able to give the guy a max deal?

Wisest member on TLN, I don't even have to read your post to say that your right, but I do it anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users