Photo

Trading Pau May Not Add Up for Lakers

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,559 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted June 01, 2012 - 10:09 AM

Posted Image

By Gabriel Lee
LakersNation.com

The Los Angeles Lakers were ousted from the playoffs exactly a week and three days ago at the hands of the Oklahoma City

Thunder, and the Pau Gasol trade rumors have already began to emerge.

A couple days ago Sam Smith of NBA.com reported that the Laker forward wouldn’t mind playing for the Chicago Bulls. Predictably, Gasol scoffed at the reports when asked about it by Mark Medina of the L.A. Times.

The Gasol to the Chicago rumor isn’t the first trade rumor Laker fans have heard this off-season, and it certainly won’t be the last.

The problem with almost every trade rumor surrounding Gasol as the centerpiece is this: the Lakers simply can’t get equal trade value for him anymore.

Let’s take the trade to Chicago that Gasol reportedly desires for example. In order for the trade to make sense position wise and for the contracts to match, the Lakers would receive the Bulls’ Carlos Boozer along with a couple spare parts in return for Gasol.

While Boozer is a name most NBA fans are familiar with, acquiring him is not an upgrade to Gasol in any way, shape or form; especially not on the defensive end.

Tim Kawakami, a Mercury News sports columnist, recently compiled his annual no-defense team and Boozer is on it. Kawakami cited that the Bulls give up 8.6 more points per 100 possessions when Boozer was playing compared to when he watches from the sidelines.

So the Lakers would be giving up a two-time NBA champion, who’s an excellent scorer and passer and can hold his own defensively for a player renowned to require a point guard to create his offense for him, and is one of the worst defenders on the NBA’s best defensive team? Head scratches all around.

Other potential packages the Lakers could receive in return for Gasol (as suggested by Sam Smith) are as follows:

a.) Brandon Jennings, Drew Gooden and Luc Mbah a Moute from Milwaukee.

b.) Kyle Lowry, Luis Scola and Sam Dalembert from Houston.

c.) Anderson Varejao, Tristan Thompson from Cleveland.

The grass isn’t always greener on the other side, isn’t it? None of those moves make the Lakers better; and more importantly they don’t address the Lakers urgent needs if they are to get back onto the same level as the Thunder and the Spurs.

Looking back, Game 5 against the Thunder highlighted all of the Lakers’ weaknesses. When push came to shove, the offense relied too heavily on Kobe Bryant’s individual brilliance (42 points on 54 percent shooting). When they were called upon, the bench scored a grand total of five points. They couldn’t contain an explosive point guard despite upgrading from Derek Fisher to Ramon Sessions at the trade deadline. And, most glaringly, the Laker bigs couldn’t co-exist (go ahead and name me the last time Andrew Bynum and Gasol both had good games).

The Lakers would certainly need a heist similar to how they initially acquired Gasol in the first place in order to make a trade worthwhile.

Thus, it’s only logical to look to move Andrew Bynum, the other seven footer. As good as Bynum was this year, it was off-set by his repeated immaturity. Lest we forget this was only Bynum’s second year (2006-07 being the other one) when he was injury-free. Bynum’s stock is sky-high and the time to move him may be now.

Gasol’s frustration of being reduced to the third option for the first time in his NBA career was evident. Statistically, he averaged a career low in points, but it appeared while he accepted the role of operating out of the high post, he wasn’t comfortable with it. Gasol sacrificed his own production in order to allow Bynum to blossom akin to how Amar’e was never the same destructive force in New York once Carmelo was acquired. When two people want the ball in the same spots on the floor, things tend not to work out so well.

The way the Lakers are currently constructed it’s nearly impossible to get better without taking a risk on trading one of the big men because Kobe Bryant’s salary accounts for nearly 50 percent of the salary cap; and with the harsher luxury tax looming over Mitch Kupchak’s shoulders, the Lakers are in a bind. The very nature of Bryant’s contract implies the Lakers must build around him until his contract runs out.

We’ve seen how far the ceiling the core of Bryant, Gasol and Bynum can lead the Lakers to for two consecutive years now: the second round.

If now is not the time for change, then I’m afraid the Kobe Bryant era in Los Angeles will end in more wasted years of his life.

But to be blunt, any move the Lakers could make involving Gasol would just be making a move for the sake of making a move instead of re-opening the Lakers’ title window with Bryant in tow. Despite Gasol’s lackluster play in the last two years in the playoffs, you at least know what you’re going to get from him on a night-to-night basis. The same can’t be said about Bynum.

Moving either big man is risky business. But as I’ve just explained, shipping Gasol out of Tinseltown is a Catch-22.

Your move, Mitch Kupchak.

http://www.lakersnation.com/trading-pau-gasol-may-not-add-up-for-lakers/2012/05/31/

#2 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,925 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 01, 2012 - 10:35 AM

Few positives about Pau that might entice teams. Keep in mind these are regular season numbers

http://espn.go.com/b...-card-pau-gasol

Via Synergy, no Laker averaged more points per possession in the post than Gasol's .968. More positives: Only Dwight Howard and Kevin Love had more double-doubles. Gasol tied for the team lead in offensive rating, and led in win shares. Via 82 Games, the Lakers were 4.1 points better offensively with Gasol on the floor, and 4.5 points better defensively -- the best margins among L.A.'s Big Three.

Hopefully some team out there buys this.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#3 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 01, 2012 - 10:41 AM

Bynum is still the odd man out.

#4 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,925 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 10:45 AM

Fido Bynum is terrible too but I've lost all faith in Pau. 4 series in a row he has been really bad. I think its time to part ways with him. He cant hand'e the physicality and pressure of the playoffs anymore

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#5 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted June 01, 2012 - 10:48 AM

Ultimately I'd love to deal both and parlay them into another big and a PG, but that's a tall order - and highly unlikely.

#6 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,293 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted June 01, 2012 - 11:14 AM

we ll see what offseason brings..

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#7 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,702 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted June 01, 2012 - 11:45 AM

Ultimately I'd love to deal both and parlay them into another big and a PG, but that's a tall order - and highly unlikely.

Me Too
Posted Image

#8 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,029 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted June 01, 2012 - 12:17 PM

Even trading Pau for an Iggy or shooters would be fine if we could flip Bynum for a center.

#9 pointguard11

pointguard11

Starter

• 4,949 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 12:21 PM

Probably only if Howard is available otherwise don't expect him to be moved.
"The way Steve is as a teammate, the way he sets the tone, the way the team kind of takes on his persona. As a coach, that's the best thing in the world. It's easy to coach. He's taking care of the chemistry. You just coach."

Mike D'Antoni

#10 Batz

Batz

God dammit...

• 7,730 posts
  • Name:Ahmed
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 01, 2012 - 04:26 PM

Gasol's trade value got shot down in the playoffs, but it's still extremely high. Every GM in the league still wants a piece of him, and we should aggressively shop him around. He cannot work with this team, something that has been discussed and argued to death, and hopefully everyone can see that now. Gasol HAS to go. I can't emphasize that enough.

Probably only if Howard is available otherwise don't expect him to be moved.

And that's how it should be.

Edited by Batz, June 01, 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#11 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,509 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted June 01, 2012 - 06:17 PM

I hope we move both!

Edited by lakers1o1, June 01, 2012 - 06:18 PM.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#12 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,770 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 07:24 PM

If we had to move either, I'd rather move Bynum for Howard.

Barring that, I'm not looking for equal value by moving Pau. I'm looking to lower salary while filling needs. IMO, our most dire need is shooting. Some people would call me crazy but 2 players I highly covet are Redick and Anderson. Either helps us tremendously...both makes us elite.

That's what we need.

If we can't get that, get more athletic at the 3, 4 or 5. Chandler is at the top of that list. Add Schumpert to the deal I think we would have gotten a deal for Pau and a decent deal for Bynum (sub Lin in for Schumpert and add Blake)

We need to pick a direction though. As it stands, we are a half-court team without shooters for spacing. We have a lead guard who is more comfortable in transition and on the break than running an offensive set. We have 2 post players who rely on post position for scoring opportunities...but there's only so much real estate (in the paint) to go around.

We could really win in a trade involving Pau as long as we address needs and balance the team. If we go out and try to get equal value, we are doomed for failure. But saying it's not possible to trade Pau or we would be better with him, that is not accurate. We could get much better by trading him or Bynum...just have to be smart about it.

#13 pointguard11

pointguard11

Starter

• 4,949 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 07:32 PM

EVen if we traded Pau for a expiring contracts and a role player and signed Odom to replace Pau we would be better off. Look for the lakers to drastically reduce salary with Pau unless the unlikely scenario of a Dwill trade for Pau happens. My sleeper trade which could only happen if Miami doesn't win the ship is a Bosh for Pau trade. Miami needs a Center like Pau even if he is soft. His skills would fit Miami perfectly and Bosh would fit well with the Lakers as he can stretch the defense.
"The way Steve is as a teammate, the way he sets the tone, the way the team kind of takes on his persona. As a coach, that's the best thing in the world. It's easy to coach. He's taking care of the chemistry. You just coach."

Mike D'Antoni

#14 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,770 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 07:48 PM

Heat trades denied on principle....unless they involve #3 or #6.

#15 pointguard11

pointguard11

Starter

• 4,949 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 07:53 PM

Heat trades denied on principle....unless they involve #3 or #6.

Why??? Because it might help them win a championship???

If it is the best move we can make and it makes us better we should do it. The only exception to that rule is if it helps Boston.

Mike D'Antoni

#16 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted June 01, 2012 - 08:57 PM

Pau is the glue guy of the team... And Bynum is he spoiled all star....

#17 Batz

Batz

God dammit...

• 7,730 posts
  • Name:Ahmed

Posted June 01, 2012 - 09:25 PM

Funny. Pau is primary reason for us getting bounced out of the 2nd round two years in a row and key reason to Bynum's struggles in the OKC series.

Glue guy. What a load of crap.

#18 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,531 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 01, 2012 - 11:21 PM

This is ridiculous. Pau needs to go. If he stays I garrentee we lose 1st round next year

#19 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,581 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted June 01, 2012 - 11:36 PM

Pau is gone. I'm 100% sure of it. He wasn't even supposed to be a Laker this year. He has awesome trade value, and as Laker fans, we really undervalue his worth.

To me, a three team trade for D-Will is the best choice. I think that's what the FO is looking for. Once D-Will is here, then Dwight will want to come here.

I really believe that Dwight didn't want to be here this year (if that was true) was because the lack of talent surrounding him. Looking at it from Dwight's perspective, he would have had a team with Kobe, who could retire in a few seasons. Pau wouldn't be someone to attract Dwight to come here as a third option.

If we had gotten CP3, then Dwight would have stormed over here to spend his time with a great point guard. Now that we have a chance at D-Will, I think we close on him first. If we keep Bynum and get D-Will, that's still a championship team to me. If Dwight wants in once D-Will is here, then go straight up Bynum for Dwight.

If we don't get D-Will, then we probably can't get Dwight unless we get a big name. Josh Smith or Iggy won't do it. BUT, trading Pau for Iggy and a role player or two, clearing out the bench and signing Odom, and Kobe has a great shot at number 6.

Either way, I trust our FO to get us the talent to get to the finals next year. I just don't trust Mike Brown to coach us to a championship. I think if Brown is given talent and doesn't win, then he's gone after this season and we'll have a big name coach for Kobe's last couple years in Laker land.

#20 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,369 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 11:45 PM

There is no "glue guy" when you get bounced in the 2nd round two years in a row.

Pau helped the Lakers get to three straight finals and win two rings. But as in any situation like this, those glue guys don't stay glue guys.

I've said since the start of last season that Pau's time with the Lakers ran his course. It happens. Bynum is a separate situation in its own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users