Photo

Official Deron Williams Thread (Deron agrees to 5yr/$100M deal w/Nets)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
740 replies to this topic

#1 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,395 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 23, 2012 - 11:56 AM

Bynum, 24, could be freed and fed in Orlando. And Howard, whose dream of joining the hapless Nets is in limbo because of the looming free agency of friend and Nets point guard Deron Williams, could be part of a legitimate contender again while becoming the pre-eminent star of the Lakers' next generation. It's unclear whether the Magic would require more than Bynum in return for a three-time Defensive Player of the Year and former MVP runner-up. But barring a change of heart from Howard, Bynum may be their best chance at salvaging this situation.

For the Lakers, Williams could be a possibility if Howard is not. A source close to the three-time All-Star said he would be interested in joining the Lakers, though it would have to be via a sign-and-trade deal. (Lakers point guard Ramon Sessions, who was acquired from Cleveland at the trade deadline, has a $4.5 million player option for next season.) The source said Williams' preference, however, is for the Nets to improve the roster sufficiently enough that he can feel good about staying put rather than fear a repeat of this season, when they finished 22-44. As for Dallas, which sacrificed its best chance to defend the title by preserving salary-cap space last summer in anticipation of this free-agent class, the source said of the Mavericks: "There's no longevity there." If owner Mark Cuban can clear enough space to sign a worthy sidekick for Williams, though, then maybe Williams would join his hometown team after all.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/05/23/howard.bynum/index.html#ixzz1viz0Rhlf

I highly suggest reading this article. Amick talks about Dwight Howard and why a trade for Bynum needs to happen. He brings up some good points.

#2 Niss

Niss

Retired Lead Mod

• 713 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 12:06 PM

I do think Bynum and Blake get traded for Howard this off-season. Bynum started to act out when he found out he was a few hours away from being traded to Orlando for Howard. The trade was Bynum, Blake, and EBanks for Howard if Howard did not give up his opt out option.

#3 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,134 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 12:10 PM

I do think Bynum and Blake get traded for Howard this off-season. Bynum started to act out when he found out he was a few hours away from being traded to Orlando for Howard. The trade was Bynum, Blake, and EBanks for Howard if Howard did not give up his opt out option.

Never thought of that. He probably shut down on the franchise when they finally pulled the trigger and did what pau did. Just more public
Posted Image

#4 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,926 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 23, 2012 - 12:11 PM

I can see Mitch trying to re-work the Paul / Howard coup from last off-season into a Williams / Howard deal this off-season.

How he can without an asset like Odom is beyond me, but I'm prepared for a crazy rumor-laden summer.

#5 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,395 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 12:12 PM

I do feel the same way. With how close the Magic were reportedly to trading Howard to us, I definitely see talks starting up again.

At that point, I think Deron Williams becomes a possibility as well. I think it would take a three team deal to get Deron in P&G but if Mitch and Co can pull that off, Dwight would sign an extension here no problem.

#6 Niss

Niss

Retired Lead Mod

• 713 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 12:14 PM

Never thought of that. He probably shut down on the franchise when they finally pulled the trigger and did what pau did. Just more public

People have to think about this... Did you see him acting so immature at the beginning of the season? He was immature at times behind closed doors, but rarely in public. All of a sudden he acts immature in public after the trade deadline. Bynum won't admit that his feelings got hurt when he found out he was almost traded.

#7 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,134 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted May 23, 2012 - 12:17 PM

Is it me or does anybody else see a Howard/Williams traded to LA?

Edited by True Lakers Fan, May 23, 2012 - 12:24 PM.

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#8 CTE WORLD

CTE WORLD

Rookie

• 969 posts
  • Fan Since:88
  • Fav. Laker:Magic,Worthy.and Kobe

Posted May 23, 2012 - 12:20 PM

This could be the basketball Gods Blessing us since we got cheated out of CP3

:mitch:

Edited by DTE_M.O.B., May 23, 2012 - 12:20 PM.

Free The Wave

#9 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,365 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted May 23, 2012 - 12:22 PM

:pray: :pray:

#10 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,496 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 12:22 PM

If we got Howard & Deron that wouldbe a guaranteed championship.

#11 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,348 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted May 23, 2012 - 12:23 PM

Is it me or does anybody else see a Howard/Williams traded too LA?

We can only hope! Would love to see this.

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, May 23, 2012 - 12:24 PM.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#12 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 17,770 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 12:23 PM

I want that D-Will/Kobe/Howard trio..

#13 Niss

Niss

Retired Lead Mod

• 713 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 12:24 PM

I do feel the same way. With how close the Magic were reportedly to trading Howard to us, I definitely see talks starting up again.

At that point, I think Deron Williams becomes a possibility as well. I think it would take a three team deal to get Deron in P&G but if Mitch and Co can pull that off, Dwight would sign an extension here no problem.

I think he gets traded after he tells Orlando he will not sign an extension before the season starts. Deron will get traded if he request to get traded to LA via a sign and trade. Something like Pau to Houston, Martin, Lowry, and a first round pick to Brooklyn, and Deron to LA. Brooklyn would get a young talented PG with a small contract and a big expiring contract. Deron holds all the cards on where he is going to play next season.

#14 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 23, 2012 - 12:35 PM

I'm not very confident in us landing BOTH Williams and Howard, while still keeping Kobe...and I feel like we can bring in one of them.

But, whoa...if we can form that trio?

:whistle:

#15 KarlCalaguas12

KarlCalaguas12

Off The Bench

• 2,079 posts
  • Name:Karl
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted May 23, 2012 - 12:37 PM

In my opinion, Kobe Bryant must actively recruit Deron Williams to come to the Lakers.

If he can do that, I'm sure Deron Williams wouldn't have a problem going to the Lakers.

It will be an interesting 2012 Free Agency that's for sure...

#16 KarlCalaguas12

KarlCalaguas12

Off The Bench

• 2,079 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 12:38 PM

I'm not very confident in us landing BOTH Williams and Howard, while still keeping Kobe...and I feel like we can bring in one of them.

But, whoa...if we can form that trio?

:whistle:

I agree!

Who do you think is more likely to come to LA, Real Deal? Deron Williams or Dwight Howard

#17 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 23, 2012 - 12:39 PM

In my opinion, Kobe Bryant must actively recruit Deron Williams to come to the Lakers.

If he can do that, I'm sure Deron Williams wouldn't have a problem going to the Lakers.

It will be an interesting 2012 Free Agency that's for sure...

That's not key. Williams won't be here as a signed free agent (we don't have the room). We will have to make a trade, and that all depends on the Nets, really.

#18 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,395 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 12:40 PM

I think he gets traded after he tells Orlando he will not sign an extension before the season starts. Deron will get traded if he request to get traded to LA via a sign and trade. Something like Pau to Houston, Martin, Lowry, and a first round pick to Brooklyn, and Deron to LA. Brooklyn would get a young talented PG with a small contract and a big expiring contract. Deron holds all the cards on where he is going to play next season.

Might very well find out sooner than that because its being reported that Orlando wants an answer from Dwight before the draft, which makes sense because if Dwight is not going to stay, their draft strategy will be a little bit different.

I personally could see Minnesota playing a part in a three team trade (Houston is also the option as you stated). If we could send Gasol to Minnesota for lets say Beasley/Derrick Williams, we could always use Derrick Williams in a trade for D-Will.

For Minnesota, a front court of Gasol & Love would be very good and improve their playoff chances with Rubio returning from injury.

#19 KarlCalaguas12

KarlCalaguas12

Off The Bench

• 2,079 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 12:41 PM

That's not key. Williams won't be here as a signed free agent (we don't have the room). We will have to make a trade, and that all depends on the Nets, really.

True!

#20 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted May 23, 2012 - 12:42 PM

I'm not getting my hopes up. The last time I got excited "basketball reasons" happened. I'm still waiting for Stern to explain what that means.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users