Photo

Is it even possible to build a championship team around Kobe anymore?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 16, 2012 - 10:03 PM

This isn't even a reaction to how awful he played down the stretch this game.

But the last 2 seasons, he hasn't played well in the biggest series of the year. He wasn't great against Dallas, and he's even worse against OKC now. He hasn't shot above 40% in either game. And, he went through the stretch this season where he was awful.

Posted Image

#2 ssuag

ssuag

Rookie

• 199 posts

Posted May 16, 2012 - 10:05 PM

Wow Guess those jumpers Kobe hit to keep us in the game meant nothing. I like how as soon as kobe makes a mistake people start to discredit him. You talk about field percentage, but what about D.

Edited by free#0, May 16, 2012 - 10:06 PM.

#3 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 6,516 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted May 16, 2012 - 10:08 PM

Kobe is suffering right now because he's being over worked. Too tired not enough rest and having back to back series against 2 of the most athletic teams in the NBA. Too costly. What can we do. Kobe wasn't 100% last year as well.

#4 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted May 16, 2012 - 10:10 PM

Of coase he can he has 2 solid years of being the #1 option but he cant carry the load like he did in 2006 when he has kwame and smush not possible
Posted Image

#5 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,512 posts

Yes because Bynum and Kobe together are good enough offensively. The issue lies in everyone else. Bynum will improve, he'll mature. But pau, Barnes, sessions, Blake just aren't getting it done consistently for us

I think if we had a more consistent 3rd option who was also athletic we'd be better off.

We need to get a consistent 3rd and 4th option
Posted Image

#6 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,393 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

No we definitely can. Time is running out though for sure. He needs another star here who can consistently play well under the brights of L.A. Chris Paul would have been nice. The main reason he isn't producing in these big games is fatigue from doing most of the work all the time. The dude needs CONSISTENT help from his teammates. And at least a decent bench would be nice too.

Edited by LakersChamps243, May 16, 2012 - 10:11 PM.

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#7 UglyMoe

UglyMoe

Rookie

• 203 posts
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted May 16, 2012 - 10:12 PM

Honestly, I'm not sure. And, it's not going to get better as he gets even older. But, I think he can age gracefully as a player if the Lakers can get another competent ball handler and scorer on the team that can create shots for him. Wanting Kobe to be a ball handler, create his own shot, and create shot opportunities for others while playing 40+ minutes is asking too much of him at his age and mileage.

Edited by UglyMoe, May 16, 2012 - 10:13 PM.

#8 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted May 16, 2012 - 10:27 PM

I have doubts because players that can lead a team to a championship typically at least play well themselves even if they don't have enough help ala Kobe before the Pau trade and Lebron in Cleveland.

Even if it's possible, Kobe would at the very least need a stacked team. And, I don't know if a potential Pau trade and the luxury tax MLE can bring enough help.

Posted Image

#9 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,512 posts

Posted May 16, 2012 - 10:32 PM

I have doubts because players that can lead a team to a championship typically at least play well themselves even if they don't have enough help ala Kobe before the Pau trade and Lebron in Cleveland.

Even if it's possible, Kobe would at the very least need a stacked team. And, I don't know if a potential Pau trade and the luxury tax MLE can bring enough help.

Well at this point Kobe is essentially 2008 Paul pierce athletically. So it's possible to win.

Kobe lost the game but he didn't lose the season. Issue was pau was too passive scoring and put the whole offense on Bynum and Kobe's shoulders

We had no bench which added to Bynum and Kobe's load

I think you attempt to get either a PG and PF with pau or a PF and 6th man with pau
Posted Image

#10 ssuag

ssuag

Rookie

• 199 posts

Posted May 16, 2012 - 10:42 PM

I just saw the replay when westbrook forced the turnover. How was that kobe's fault. Blake passed the [expletive]ing ball to kobe as westbrook was going for it. That play I blame on blake. The other turnover was on kobe, but not that one.

#11 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,393 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted May 16, 2012 - 10:44 PM

I just saw the replay when westbrook forced the turnover. How was that kobe's fault. Blake passed the [expletive]ing ball to kobe as westbrook was going for it. That play I blame on blake. The other turnover was on kobe, but not that one.

It wasn't it was Blake's fault. But Kobe did cost us the most down the stretch without a doubt. The dude just couldn't come through. But it's times like these when he needs his fans to back him and support him. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have had the opportunity to be in that situation to win the game because we probably wouldn't have made the playoffs. He does so much for this team it's ridiculous.

Edited by LakersChamps243, May 16, 2012 - 10:45 PM.

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#12 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted May 16, 2012 - 10:44 PM

Yeah, not sure why Blake passed the ball with Westbrook in his face...and not only that, but it was more of a toss than a pass to begin with, easy steal if Westbrook had longer arms.

#13 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted May 16, 2012 - 10:45 PM

Yes. Give him shooters, an adequate shooting guard and another SG/SF type player who can defend & hit 3s. WE HAVE NONE OF THESE. NONE

Edited by MDI, May 16, 2012 - 10:45 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#14 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,831 posts

Posted May 16, 2012 - 10:49 PM

kobe is done in like 3 more years, so the answer is no

13z8pc6.jpg

#15 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted May 16, 2012 - 10:52 PM

Provide him with a bench that can produce on a consistent basis and then they can win a championship. The Lakers are a three player team right now. It's not difficult to guard a team when you don't have to guard the perimeter.

#16 CTE WORLD

CTE WORLD

Rookie

• 969 posts
  • Fan Since:88
  • Fav. Laker:Magic,Worthy.and Kobe

Posted May 16, 2012 - 11:01 PM

We could win a championship...........If we Had a Bench

Hill The only one That has been consistent since he's been inserted in the Lineup

Matt Barnes Just Terrible

Steve Blake Make a 3 pointer every now and then

Troy Murphy Is Garbage

Josh Mcroberts is nothing but a Pair of Long Socks

Goudelock in Solitary Confinement at Mike Brown's Prison

Morris Needs More time to Develop

Our Big 3 never have Time to Rest

Edited by DTE_M.O.B., May 16, 2012 - 11:03 PM.

Free The Wave

#17 Inverse

Inverse

Rookie

• 446 posts
  • Fav. Laker:The Mad Dog

Posted May 16, 2012 - 11:19 PM

The only realistic chance of this roster improving is Mitch flipping Pau for some solid players. It'll be tough, because Pau makes a lot of money but thats about the only chance we got. That Dragic/Scola/Martin package looks quite enticing right about now.
Today I'm a prime minister and Today i passed a bill that gave kittens to life prisoners

#18 Inverse

Inverse

Rookie

• 446 posts
  • Fav. Laker:The Mad Dog

Posted May 16, 2012 - 11:21 PM

The only realistic chance of this roster improving is Mitch flipping Pau for some solid players. It'll be tough, because Pau makes a lot of money but thats about the only chance we got. That Dragic/Scola/Martin package looks quite enticing right about now.

BTW that trade would have been a hell of a steal if it was ever even offerred, which I imagine it was.
Today I'm a prime minister and Today i passed a bill that gave kittens to life prisoners

#19 Trev

Trev

Rookie

• 277 posts
  • Fan Since:Today
  • Fav. Laker:Bryant

Posted May 16, 2012 - 11:27 PM

we need to get people easy shots instead of kobe/pau/bynum/artest taking turns running iso plays.

also we take ourselves to like 5 seconds on the shot clock without the defense even forcing us to get into that position. 17 seconds by the time we cross half court. 12 by the first pass. 5 seconds holding the ball looking for something. time to start thinking about shooting. give it to kobe or bynum with 4 seconds left.

everyone else runs pick and rolls non-stop. we hardly ever do it ,and when we do it's so half assed my grandma could get thru it

edit: was going to talk about kobe taking tough shots, then somehow i wrote this, pretty off topic but ima leave it

Edited by Trev, May 16, 2012 - 11:28 PM.

#20 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,054 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 16, 2012 - 11:28 PM

People fail to realize how CLOSE this team is.

We're contending with the "best" team in the west and we basically don't have a deep bench. People fail to realize how close our Lakers team is already.

In the off season when we let go of Barnes, Murphy and Ebanks, and sign Beasley and probably Odom(if his head is on straight) we'll be contending extremely well. The fact we were at once in striking distance of that number 2 spot during the season speaks volumes about how close this team is.

We don't really need much more to be a "sure" thing.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users