#1 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted May 08, 2012 - 10:25 PM

Firstly, Shaq is better than Bynum. bynum will likely never be Shaq's worst year in Shaq's prime.
And Shaq was literally a MONSTER, compared to other players.

Shaq had some legends on their way out Ewing, Hakeem, David Robinson. Also faced Rodman, who played him well, Ben wallace who played him well, and Zo and Deke who he DOMINATED.

Other good C's had moments against him Divac, Sabonis, Smits, but again Shaq dominated these C's who were out of there way. as Yao came up Shaq dominated but Yao start to hold his own.
Shaq held it down for a while.

But he missed Bynum's a lot of those old guys' primes and he missed these new guys' Dwight, Bynum, Perkins,M Gasol,NeNe, D. jordan will be better, McGee is coming along, Hibbert, Cousins(may be third best C), Brook Lopez,Noah... it seems like these guys have Heart..and are either Quick, skilled or strong... Some of them were so much faster than what big men are expected

This is a interesting era of point guards and Centers
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#2 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,915 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted May 08, 2012 - 10:25 PM

Okay.

#3 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,138 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 08, 2012 - 10:29 PM

wtf

threads threads threads

centers in the past would [expletive] on the centers today. majority of the centers today have no kind of basketball skills at all. league is softer, big men lack offensive skill sets. ugh

Pau Gasol is GONE

#4 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 10:32 PM

In Shaq's era name ONE CENTER better than DWIGHT..not named Shaq

Shaq faced Camby, when he was hurt
Dampier
Kurt Thomas
JuWan Howard
Ostertag
and a bunch of old guys
Young bigs were
Olowakandi
Keith Kloss
Kwame Brown

and a bunch of big bodies I dont remember
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#5 serenityy

serenityy

Off The Bench

• 1,898 posts
  • Fan Since:1995

Posted May 08, 2012 - 11:13 PM

Shaq was drafted in 1992..

He dealt with Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, Mourning, and you could even argue Malone.

1999-2005 Shaq dealt with Duncan/Robinson pair, Yao, and the defensive center Mutumbo(who won defensive player of the year twice in the 90's and once again in 2001). To some degree you could argue Ben Wallace too. Also, in the very early 2000's, when the Blazers played small ball Rasheed wasn't a slouch either.

Edited by serenityy, May 08, 2012 - 11:17 PM.

#6 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,884 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted May 08, 2012 - 11:31 PM

In Shaq's era name ONE CENTER better than DWIGHT..not named Shaq

Duncan. He played center every single game against Shaq, even when Shaq left LA.

Ben Wallace was actually a better defensive player than Howard, by the way.

As stated above, Shaq went quite a few years playing against the greatest era of centers you (and most of us) have ever seen, before Duncan, Wallace, Yao, etc.

Let's not put "Shaq" and "Bynum" in the same sentence, please, unless it's this sentence I'm typing right now.

#7 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,826 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 08, 2012 - 11:35 PM

So we're completely disregarding 1992-2000? Roughly half of Shaq's entire career? Cool.

This current "era" of big men is terrible.

#8 SpSoloSr

SpSoloSr

Rookie

• 102 posts
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Everyone but Dennis Rodman

Posted May 09, 2012 - 04:28 AM

As "terrible" as this era of bigs are, their total athleticism compared to that generation is ridiculous. These guys are fast and jump like guards. Hell, Tyson Chandler is considered "old" and he gets at the rim easier than Ewing, Hakeem, and I'm sure many other guys at his age.

#9 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,517 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted May 09, 2012 - 05:15 AM

David Robinson
Hakeem
Ewing
Alonzo
are all better than D12 imo.
You are trippen dude1

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#10 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,884 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 05:19 AM

As "terrible" as this era of bigs are, their total athleticism compared to that generation is ridiculous. These guys are fast and jump like guards. Hell, Tyson Chandler is considered "old" and he gets at the rim easier than Ewing, Hakeem, and I'm sure many other guys at his age.

The difference between Chandler and those two you named (Hakeem and Ewing) is that Chandler has to be spoon-fed at the rim, coming off of a pick and roll. Hakeem and Ewing were two guys that got to the rim without a Chris Paul.

I mean, if you give a prime Hakeem someone like CP3, and run P&R all day long, you would see him flying as well. He was super athletic and played like a small forward when he decided to face up and drive.

You stick a good defender on Chandler, toss out the P&R (which almost always gave him an open lane, much like Nash and Amare), and he's not playing over the rim anymore.

#11 spacedog1

spacedog1

Rookie

• 234 posts
  • Fan Since:90s

Posted May 09, 2012 - 06:21 AM

lol considering how people say the only real centers in this league anymore are bynum and dwight compared to 10-20 years ago during shaq's time...

if bynum (and pau) keeps playing like he did yesterday tho then yes, plenty of centers are going to look like they're better competition than what shaq faced.

Edited by spacedog1, May 09, 2012 - 06:22 AM.

#12 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,220 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted May 09, 2012 - 06:38 AM

1 thing is for sure I hated Shaq & I hate Bynum but at least Shaq knew how to get low position on the block and never allowed midgets to force him all the way out damn near 3pt line. SMFH Im sick and tired of watching Bynum and his no athleticism. He still doesnt graps how to throw the ball b4 the double team closes in and forces him into dribbling & or turnovers. Shaq even when he was fat & lazy still got his big azz to the low blocks and got easy looks from Kobe time after time after time. Bynum is incapable of doing that every game. I dont care what talent either one faced. They both played at a time when the true Centers were being phased out the game and then popped up a bunch of hybrids who can interchange from anywhere to 3, 4, or 5 position.
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#13 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,595 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 09, 2012 - 07:45 AM

wtf

threads threads threads

#14 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 09, 2012 - 07:58 AM

He has to be like 13 years old if he thinks the garbage centers we have today are better than the 90s centers lol THERE ARE NO CENTERS today that are even decent really

#15 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 08:20 AM

OBVIOUSLY

YOU guys didnt READ that SHAQ caught those guys on their way out

But let's talk about Duncan/KG

Two C's who were too soft I guess.
But in the 80s, they would have been Centers

But Shaq's era was 1996-2006. Thats was his PRIME

David,Patrick,Hakeem were old by then.

He faced a lot of stiffs..The Ostertags of the world. The Shawn Bradleys of the world.

Dwight is a better player than any center Shaq faced 1996-2006, because I dont view Duncan as a Center

Marc Gasol is better than any true center that Shaq faced on his way to a title except maybe Dikembe

Imagine Shaq running with DJ,Nene,McGee. Obviously his size would demolish them. But their speed would be ultra effective.

RD, you sound biased.

Bynum had 30 boards as a Laker C All-Star, he can be in the SAME SENTENCE AS SHAQ.
OF COURSE SHAQ was greater, he is literally a GIANT. He would have been worshipped 5000 years ago.

Bynum is a guy who can hoop.

But this era of centers is underrated.

Ewing's era was deep.

The 80s were weak. There is a reason kareem was an all star at damn near 40.

Those skinny Centers were like McGee and Jordan..better on the post but way less athletic

I think you guys just accept whatever the media says

#16 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,884 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 08:37 AM

OBVIOUSLY

YOU guys didnt READ that SHAQ caught those guys on their way out

Shaq was already putting up 29/13 in his second season. Aside from 1999-2000, those were the best numbers of his career, and he put those numbers up before Hakeem led his Rockets to a back-to-back. Guess who Hakeem beat in the Finals one year?

RD, you sound biased.

Bynum had 30 boards as a Laker C All-Star, he can be in the SAME SENTENCE AS SHAQ.

Charles Oakley
Rony Seikaly
Dennis Rodman
Charles Barkley
Kevin Willis
Kevin Love
Dikembe Mutombo
Michael Cage

Since 1985, these are the guys that have had 30+ rebounds in a game (and Drew). NONE of them belong in the same sentence as Shaq...not even Barkley, who is my second favorite player of all time.

Don't call me biased. It really makes you sound stupid.

#17 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 08:47 AM

Shaq was already putting up 29/13 in his second season. Aside from 1999-2000, those were the best numbers of his career, and he put those numbers up before Hakeem led his Rockets to a back-to-back. Guess who Hakeem beat in the Finals one year?

Charles Oakley
Rony Seikaly
Dennis Rodman
Charles Barkley
Kevin Willis
Kevin Love
Dikembe Mutombo
Michael Cage

Since 1985, these are the guys that have had 30+ rebounds in a game (and Drew). NONE of them belong in the same sentence as Shaq...not even Barkley, who is my second favorite player of all time.

Don't call me biased. It really makes you sound stupid.

You mean, they haven't had the career that Shaq has.
Chuck and Barkley are peers for sure.
Same with Rodman.

Defensively Shaq doesn't belong ina sentence with Rodman or deke.

In fact, if Shaq would have not been a FREAK of NATURE, who knows how good he would have been.

SHAQ is a top 5 Center. Like I said, he didn't face any of those guys in their primes. He was one of the most offensive minded C's ever. His D was suspect, but I'll take him over almost any C in history. not HaKeem or Kareem or Wilt, but perhaps all others.

That being said. In his most relevant years. What comp did he face?

There was Portland,Sac,Utah,san Antonio as the main threats in the west... Nets, Sixers, PACERS IN THE EAST. who was his comp???????

#18 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,884 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 08:54 AM

Like I said, he didn't face any of those guys in their primes.

Hakeem was the reason why Shaq didn't win the 1995 NBA Finals. What part of that don't you understand? Shaq was already an MVP candidate in 1994. He was being mentioned as the second best center in the NBA, next to Hakeem...and in those Finals, he wasn't able to stop Hakeem...but Hakeem couldn't stop him, either.

So to say Shaq didn't play against those centers...you're just spitting ignorance.

On the other hand, Bynum would get embarrassed by Hakeem. He would give up 40 points, and would have his shot blocked 5+ times. If you don't think so, you're underrating Olajuwon and overrating Drew.

#19 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 09:01 AM

Specualtion aside
hakeem was on his way out. yes Shaq played against a thirty plus hakeem and loss. But he didnt face a 25 year old HaKeem.
Pat and HaKeem and David were in the same era.

They overlapped with Shaq, but who played with Shaq in his era..Zo and Deke.. And Zo was out with liver problems for a while. It took him a bit to get his career back on track.

You can say Duncan, but Duncan was semi scared of Shaq so he remained a PF..

Bynum could have did some things versus Kareem. I mean He slammed on Shaq in his rookie year and he wasn't 10% of the player he was then now..

again, HaKeem retired in 2001.. Thats a different era.

Like Barkley and Malone were in the same era.. I wouldnt say Dunacan and Malone even though they played each other for a few seasons.

Kobe's era includes Kidd, Iverson,Hill,Carter,McGrady.. not durant and rose..even though he is playing against them

#20 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,884 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 09:17 AM

Specualtion aside
hakeem was on his way out. yes Shaq played against a thirty plus hakeem and loss. But he didnt face a 25 year old HaKeem.

Hakeem averaged 28/11 in 1995, and it was arguably his best season ever. You obviously didn't grow up watching him. I saw Olajuwon (and all of these guys) playing live on TV.

You can say Duncan, but Duncan was semi scared of Shaq so he remained a PF..

How does that even make sense? Duncan was never afraid of Shaq, or else he would have asked an old D-Rob, or Malik Rose, or Rasho Nesterovic, to defend him. Duncan stepped up and defended Shaq more than anyone else on that Spurs team. Remained a PF because of Shaq? That [expletive] makes zero sense.

Bynum could have did some things versus Kareem.

One of the worst things I've read on TLN.

I mean He slammed on Shaq in his rookie year and he wasn't 10% of the player he was then now..

You're going to sit here and argue that all of those players were exiting their primes when Shaq was in his, yet, you're going to talk about Drew dunking over a 33-year old, injury-prone, overweight Shaq that was averaging just 20/9 that season?

again, HaKeem retired in 2001.. Thats a different era.

Like Barkley and Malone were in the same era.. I wouldnt say Dunacan and Malone even though they played each other for a few seasons.

Kobe's era includes Kidd, Iverson,Hill,Carter,McGrady.. not durant and rose..even though he is playing against them

Your title is: Bynum will face better competition than Shaq did

Is Kobe done as a player? I rest my case.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users