Photo

Mark Cuban Blames CBA For Unsuccessful Title Defense

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,736 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted May 06, 2012 - 09:24 AM

Posted Image

By Brad Townsend / Reporter
btownsend@dallasnews.com | Bio
6:15 PM on Sat., May. 5, 2012 |

Just like last postseason, Mark Cuban had refrained from commenting during the Oklahoma City series _ until Saturday evening, prior to Game 4 at American Airlines Center.

First of all, Cuban hasn't given up on the idea of winning this series, even though no NBA team has ever rallied from a 3-0 deficit. When Cuban saw Shawn Marion in the locker room tonight, he said, "Somebody's got to make history, right?"

Then Cuban agreed to take questions while working out on his Stairmaster. He said he understands why, emotionally, fans are disappointed that Mavericks management didn't bring back last season's NBA championship team intact. But Cuban reiterated his season-long stance that he and vice president of operations Donnie Nelson put together the best team they could under the guidelines of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

"I've heard some of the talking headless (media), and all I can tell you is, within the collective bargaining agreement we did everything possible to put the best possible team on the court," he said. "Period. End of story. If someone wants to read it (the CBA) and tell me otherwise, go ahead. But it's like I said, I think we've got a good team. One bounce, one break and we're talking about we had one bad game like we had in Portland last year and we're still up 2-1."

So he has not had any second thoughts about not offering Tyson Chandler a multi-year contract in December, or taking the same approach with departing free agents J.J. Barea, DeShawn Stevenson and Caron Butler.

"Hell no," Cuban said. "Nope. Not even a millisecond. Because those who are talking otherwise haven't read the CBA and are just talking out their (expletive) without any foundation. But that's what you guys do.

"Given what happened, I think we put together a damn good team. If we had one break, one call, one bounce, we're having a completely different conversation and you're thinking how smart we are instead of how stupid we are."

Clearly, Cuban believes the biggest culprit in the Mavericks' bumpy defense of the NBA title is the CBA.

"If you want to nail me for something, I'll be the first to admit that it was a huge (expletive) that I didn't fight for the new (CBA) harder," Cuban said. "I said it before, I'll say it again. It put us and other teams in a bad spot, and it was an overnight handshake deal that I should have fought harder. I'm the first to say that.

"That was my mistake, because once that thing passed, our hands were tied in a lot of respects. But within that, we did the best we could. And we're not out of it yet."

Cuban has chastised media members for not taking the time to read and fully understand the new CBA before forming opinions, and he reiterated that disappointment Saturday.

Cuban pointed out that the Mavericks were under the luxury tax threashold before they agreed to acquire Lamar Odom from the Lakers. He said all of the roster decisions were based on trying to defend the title with the best team possible while keeping salary cap flexibility moving forward.

"We went through it every which way we could and tried to figure out the best way to be successful," Cuban said. "Given what happened, I think we put together a damn good team. Like I said, one break, one call, one bounce, we're having a completely different conversation and you're thinking how smart we are instead of saying how stupid we are."

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/05/mark-cuban-breaks-postgame-silence-says.html

#2 Makaveli

Makaveli

where will i go?

• 13,323 posts
  • Fan Since:'06
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe 'Bean' Bryant.

Posted May 06, 2012 - 09:38 AM

why am i not surprised? Cuban loves to act like a tough guy and talk [expletive], but this is just a damn dumb excuse. A good owner should have realized that this season wasn't flushed down and could have actually happened (which it did). piss off cuban

#3 JRG_24

JRG_24

Starter

• 5,261 posts
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Ron Artest

Posted May 06, 2012 - 09:39 AM

This guy doesnt stop [expletive]ing. Worse than a girl.

#4 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,245 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 10:53 AM

When we got Chris Paul he said that the reason he wanted it to be vetoed was because of the new CBA and he wants small market teams to flourish. Now, after his team gets eliminated, he hates the new CBA.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#5 Azazello

Azazello

Sixth Man

• 3,544 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 11:01 AM

Odom was a huge part of the reason they lost, too. He didn't play up to his capabilities and stole eight million from Cuban. If Odom plays like the sixth man of the year he was in Los Angeles, the Mavericks have a formidable team with a better shot of defending the championship.

#6 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,047 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 06, 2012 - 12:10 PM

When we got Chris Paul he said that the reason he wanted it to be vetoed was because of the new CBA and he wants small market teams to flourish. Now, after his team gets eliminated, he hates the new CBA.

This.

#7 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,393 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted May 06, 2012 - 12:44 PM

Cuban maybe it's the fact that it's hard to repeat? The only team in the last twenty or so years who has done it is us. I don't know just a guess

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#8 Yaboy

Yaboy

Sixth Man

• 3,947 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 01:36 PM

Cuban maybe it's the fact that it's hard to repeat? The only team in the last twenty or so years who has done it is us. I don't know just a guess

us? lol Lakers, Bulls, and Rockets have done it in the last 20 years.

OD_zpsef7494d9.png

"Love me or hate me it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, hate my swagger, hate my fade-away, my hunger, hate that i'm a veteran, A champion, hate that. Hate it with all your heart, and hate that i'm loved for the exact same reasons." - Kobe

#9 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 7,211 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted May 06, 2012 - 04:04 PM

The Mavericks are just one hit wonders...

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#10 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 07, 2012 - 12:20 AM

Sure he does, because not signing Chandler, not replacing Barea, not having any athleticism on the wing, or size in the middle while getting absolutely no scoring off the bench in the off-season (outside of the failed Odom experiment, there was a reason the Lakers let Odom go for nothing, besides money) had nothing to do with it right Marc?

Hate guys like Cuban who always have a scapegoat. Always willing to take the credit, but never willing to take the blame. Can't stand him, never have and never will - the guy is a nuisance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users