No replies to this topic

#1 Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart

I do the walk of life.

• 1,905 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 01, 2012 - 11:48 AM

Well guys,I came onto idea to see what you think of this. This was quarter final game of the Eurobasket 2005 in Belgrade,Serbia. My team,Croatia,finally came with a great team because years after Drazen's death and that silver medal on Olympics 1992 when we played USA in the finals,(I assume you all know who he was :yes: ),Croatian basketball was in deep crisis and couldn't make any good result on this big competitions,blowing big leads and losing composure in key moments.

This team led by Giriček(played for Memphis and Utah) and very successful young generation(in 2000 European Championship, U18 team was second beat by France led by Tony Parker :blush: ) came to play and were on a verge of great result when this happened. We were second in our group,behind Lithuania,then beat Italy and qualified for the quarter finals.

I also must mention that is important that this championship was in Belgrade because Croatia and Serbia were in war from 1991 to 1995 and we faced very hostile environment (that's why you hear cheering "Serbia,Serbia" in some parts of the video).
We beat them to theirs knees in this game,they were considered favorites to win it all but we fought and played our hearts out. And this referees ruined it all.First they whistled 2 early fouls on our best center,Kasun.then they called 2-3 invisible fouls on our all around PF Vujcic(no 7,he was earlier version of Pau Gasol), and tanked him with 4 fouls(by european rules,you're allowed to have 5 fouls,not 6 like in the NBA in a case you don't know).There are some parts put in the video which aren't suspicious(like Ukic's 3-point at the end of the 3rd,I know it was late at the buzzer).Then you see more bad calls and no calls.And finally,monstrous no-call on our player Tomas when he jumped for the ball 5 second before the end of the game afted a missed free throw by Spain( I think it is clear that Garbajosa fouled him with his arm). They scored and the game was even and went to overtime. Few more bad calls later,our players and coach lost it. They knew they had to lose that game.There were called several technical fouls and they won 100-85 in the end.

Watching this now makes me angry again. I was 13 years old then,but even I saw this bad calls and cried my eyes out after the game.

Keep in mind European basketball is a little bit different and calls are different than in the NBA,in meaning that there aren't allowed too physical plays.I know the cameras and views aren't too good,but I think you can still see good are the calls good or bad.
Our team and coaches of course made a tape with all the suspicious calls and send it to the FIBA and the Supervisory Board but,of course,they saw nothing suspicious.

I don't know,this hurts a lot.Some say smile on referees face at 4:01 mark says it all.

So if you got time to watch this video,please let me know what do you think,am I watching this with pink glasses because it is about my country or was it really a robbery? I appreciate every response,thank you. :81:

Edited by Dr. Jekyll, May 01, 2012 - 11:50 AM.

Impossible is nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users