• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Kobynum Gasodom

Kobynum Gasodom

Rookie

• 72 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe/magic/Kareem

Posted October 16, 2008 - 04:21 PM

Phil Jackson changed his tune about Lamar Odom on Thursday from what had been a bad song (Crank That - Soldier Boy*) to a pleasant tune (Viva La Vida - Coldplay).
*Even though it was fun for a minute.

“(Odom’s) starting to get a feel for it,” Jackson said. “He’s starting to play basketball. He looks like he’s playing really well now. His timing is there, his reaction is there, his conditioning is getting better. All those things.”

Jackson saved his criticism of the day for Andrew Bynum, whom Phil said took a step backwards in practice yesterday by not really getting himself involved. Jackson added that he “didn’t know” if Bynum’s contract situation was on his mind.

After Phil was done, Bynum addressed the media and mentioned that he “doesn’t really think about (his contract),” giving the answer you’d expect to hear. Any type of contract question is usually going to render an answer such as that… But just to check, I said this:

“Basically, you just play well and play hard and things will take care of themselves?”

“Yes sir,” he responded.

Intent on jumping to something he’d rather talk about it, I pulled him aside and had him play “Would You Rather” with questions like: “Be able to communicate with animals or be able to read women’s minds.” Then I had Jordan Farmar answer the same questions - check back tomorrow for their answers

Maybe Odom's play won't be as detrimental as we thought.
Also Bynum's contract could become an issue for the team

#2 Helljumper

Helljumper

76ers GM

• 2,461 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 16, 2008 - 04:27 PM

I don't think there ever was any doubt about whether Odom is a good player or not (aside from the ignorant haters). It's just if his talents fit our offense.
Posted Image

#3 Kobynum Gasodom

Kobynum Gasodom

Rookie

• 72 posts

Posted October 16, 2008 - 04:31 PM

hell jumper is a genius
best logical explanation in a while

#4 Helljumper

Helljumper

76ers GM

• 2,461 posts

Posted October 16, 2008 - 04:39 PM

... Ummm... thanks? :lol:
Posted Image

#5 Kobynum Gasodom

Kobynum Gasodom

Rookie

• 72 posts

Posted October 16, 2008 - 05:14 PM

Wasnt be weird, just used to people saying things like Odom sucks, he never did anything good.

#6 Kellz

Kellz

Kellz comin back to TLN

• 2,055 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Trevor Ariza

Posted October 16, 2008 - 05:20 PM

odom :omg:
R.I.P. Michael Jackson King Of Pop
1958-2009

Glad i left lakerground, and even happier im a member at Lakers Nation
TLN FTW!!!!!

All Hail the King of R&B, R. Kelly

#7 Helljumper

Helljumper

76ers GM

• 2,461 posts

Posted October 16, 2008 - 05:34 PM

Wasnt be weird, just used to people saying things like Odom sucks, he never did anything good.

I agree, it's annoying when people blindly hate on Odom like that and ignore all the good things he's done for our team.

Firstly, I think he played great last season. I looked it up a while ago and there are only a few (maybe 2 or 3) players with stats equal to or better than Odom (averaging 14 points and 10 rebounds while shooting over 50% from the field.)

Secondly, he always steps it up in the postseason and plays with heart. In the 07 postseason against Phoenix (when we lost in 5) Odom was pretty much bandaged from head to toe with injuries yet he dominated Marion (known to be an elite defender) that series. In that final elimination game, desperately trying to get the team back in the game, he went off for over 30 points. This last postseason, I believe he played really well too, including the Finals. Some make it seems as if he was the only reason we lost in the Finals. That is obviously not the case. We lost as a team, everyone played horribly (including Kobe who I never see getting any blame for that series.)

Despite this, with Gasol and Bynum, I'm not sure if he fits in on our team. But I feel we have to at least give it a shot. We should try to start out the season with LO, Gasol, and Bynum starting. If LO doesn't fit in and the spacing is poor, we can move him to the bench where I think he can flourish. If he doesn't play well of the bench or complains, then it would be time to ship him off for a starting-calibur small forward.
Posted Image

#8 Brand New

Brand New

Good Enough

• 1,033 posts

Posted October 16, 2008 - 05:34 PM

He's bad, ship his [expletive] out.

#9 Klewfish

Klewfish

Reppin' LA on the East Coast

• 1,455 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:Game 4 of 2000 NBA Finals

Posted October 16, 2008 - 06:13 PM

I think many people's reason for criticizing Odom, including mine (although I do like him), is that he could be MUCH better than he is. Look at his playing days in Miami when he was a main scorer, he was assertive and scored with ease it seemed like. 14/10/5 isn't bad, but when you look at the tools Odom has it's only right to expect more.
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

#10 Kobynum Gasodom

Kobynum Gasodom

Rookie

• 72 posts

Posted October 16, 2008 - 06:39 PM

14/10/5 is great, and to those who think he can be better dont consider that he ha been in this leaugue a decade. He's not a superstar, and the reason why he can't score more is because he runs over smaller players in those matchup situations

#11 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,802 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 16, 2008 - 08:30 PM

I looked it up a while ago and there are only a few (maybe 2 or 3) players with stats equal to or better than Odom (averaging 14 points and 10 rebounds while shooting over 50% from the field.)

This is the point most people try to make...his stats are misleading.

I can name 20-30 players that were better than him last season off the top of my head. 3 of them were on THIS team.

That's all DESPITE his statistical prowess. He can fill the stat sheet up but when it comes to playing basketball consistently (or aggressively) for a full game, he does NOT show up. Flashes here, bursts there.

A team is built on consistency and reliability. Those are not buzzwords for Lamar.

Wildly talented player who is yet to figure out how to keep his head in the game...which was a criticism the coaching staff hass had of him for many years now...most recently, the NBA Finals...

You know? The same PLAYOFFS you said he shows up for??? Why did they have to keep him motivated or focused for that???

#12 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,802 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 16, 2008 - 08:32 PM

I don't think there ever was any doubt about whether Odom is a good player or not (aside from the ignorant haters). It's just if his talents fit our offense.

And no...his talents do NOT fit our offense, our Franchise player or the starting unit.

I don't care how much natural talent he has, that trifecta means ADIOS...

#13 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted October 17, 2008 - 05:19 PM

Yeh, he's pretty chill. I want him to stay on the team but I don't know if he'll be moved or not.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#14 oregonlakerguy

oregonlakerguy

Rookie

• 37 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, West, Kobe, Worthy

Posted October 18, 2008 - 04:26 AM

Odom is what he is. Some of us like him and some don't. To deny that he is a good player is just plain silly. To expect more of him after all these years is even sillier.
I wasn't sure what the new lineup would bring. I wanted to see it. I still haven't seen much more than a few minutes. If Jackson can't make them fit, Odom is the logical man out.
We will know a hell of a lot more in a couple of weeks.

#15 Kobynum Gasodom

Kobynum Gasodom

Rookie

• 72 posts

Posted October 18, 2008 - 08:35 AM

oregon hit the nail on the head. Odom is a really good player, sure he is inconsisent offensively, but he's underrated defensively and let's face it, the referees absolutely picks on this guy for no reason at times

#16 R0S4l3S<3

R0S4l3S<3

DSG FO LYFE!

• 2,147 posts
  • Name:Ashley
  • Fan Since:born laker fan!!!
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE all da way

Posted October 18, 2008 - 12:01 PM

odom is a good playa. i mean hes playing with his shoulder hurt..come on right.

playaz have their moments. wether itz good or bad.
Posted Image
"JUST SAY SHOOT" KOBE GOES IT ALL THE WAY"
"BEHIND EVERY SUCCESSFUL PERSON, LIES A TON OF HATERS"

#17 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted October 18, 2008 - 03:54 PM

This is the point most people try to make...his stats are misleading.

I can name 20-30 players that were better than him last season off the top of my head. 3 of them were on THIS team.

That's all DESPITE his statistical prowess. He can fill the stat sheet up but when it comes to playing basketball consistently (or aggressively) for a full game, he does NOT show up. Flashes here, bursts there.

A team is built on consistency and reliability. Those are not buzzwords for Lamar.

Wildly talented player who is yet to figure out how to keep his head in the game...which was a criticism the coaching staff hass had of him for many years now...most recently, the NBA Finals...

You know? The same PLAYOFFS you said he shows up for??? Why did they have to keep him motivated or focused for that???

Uh, Odom didn't show up for the playoffs? He averaged 14 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists, 1.3 blk, .7 steal on 49% shooting while playing solid defense.

Former coaches in Hubby Brown and Jeff Van Gundy have nothing but praise for him whenever he's on the floor.

You're not backing up anything you say. We got the the finales with him as a 3rd option. Imagine where we'll get with him coming off the bench.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#18 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted October 18, 2008 - 09:48 PM

Verdict: Odom starts on the bench, it helps him and the team too....his productions from the last 2 games including today's barcelona game shows it well.

Another point that I forgot was that, during last year, Odom plays with the bench mobs while the other starters are on the bench...

Edited by lyk13, October 18, 2008 - 09:49 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users