Photo

Owner Condemns Racist Fan/Black Player

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

• 40,431 posts

Posted April 27, 2012 - 02:36 PM

http://sports.yahoo....XVLbCD0JqI5nYcB

Joel Ward of the Washington Capitals was born in Toronto to parents who migrated from Barbados. He used to hear racist taunts playing in youth hockey tournaments, but told the Washington Post this season that "I've [heard] nothing in the NHL." On Wednesday night, Ward scored the series-winning goal against the Boston Bruins in overtime of Game 7.

The kind of racist language that Ward had avoided throughout his NHL career bubbled to the surface like sewage on social media.

Posted Image

Some of the reaction collected by Capitals Outsider after Ward's game-winner (Strong Language Warning):

"Hey Joel Ward!! You [expletive] spear chucking monkey, why don't you actually DO SOMETHING. You're totally irrelevant"

"How the [expletive] did Joel ward get out of my plantation? #WheresMyCotton"

"Warning to Joel Ward. Your one of three black guys in Canada. I will find you…and I will kill you."

And so on. There was outrage across the hockey world about the language being used about Ward, and on Thursday morning Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis thanked those who called out the offending parties via his blog titled "Keyboard courage and ignorance":

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

Edited by    , April 27, 2012 - 02:38 PM.

yo.

#2 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,536 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted April 27, 2012 - 02:50 PM

http://www.eurweb.co...s-winning-goal/

theres 2 tweets with their name if you guys want to blast them on twitter

#3 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 7,096 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted April 27, 2012 - 02:51 PM

There's a reason Bill Russell doesn't live in Boston...

Edited by Mr Terrific, April 27, 2012 - 02:54 PM.

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

• 40,431 posts

Posted April 27, 2012 - 02:53 PM

Wow, just saw that.

Posted Image

yo.

#5 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,111 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 27, 2012 - 06:32 PM

These guys are cowards that would get their asses handed to them by the same people they're insulting

Pau Gasol is GONE

#6 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,723 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 27, 2012 - 07:40 PM

seen/heard ignorant garbage like this enough to the point now where its almost more amusing than infuriating...told myself a long time ago i would stop wasting my time and emotions on stupid people. especially those douchey enough to hide behind the internet..as windu pointed out...

people are entitled to not like black people because they're **insert word insulting intellect here** enough to convince themselves that all black people behave the same way, and that its because they're black that they behave this way, and i'm completely fine with that. i just don't see why i need to know about it, and i certainly don't see the need to convey your dislike with the unnecessary use of the word [expletive]er. and well, you might say that i hate black people that behave a certain way...but that implies you don't have a problem with other races that behave that way...which means it has nothing to do with the behavior.

for the record, as for the word [expletive]er, i personally only use the word myself when rapping along with music, or quoting someone...has never been a part of my vocabulary. never referred to friends or anyone(black or otherwise) that way.

Posted Image

#7 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted April 28, 2012 - 12:16 AM

Not surprised

#8 pointguard11

pointguard11

Starter

• 4,949 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 01:47 AM

seen/heard ignorant garbage like this enough to the point now where its almost more amusing than infuriating...told myself a long time ago i would stop wasting my time and emotions on stupid people. especially those douchey enough to hide behind the internet..as windu pointed out...

people are entitled to not like black people because they're **insert word insulting intellect here** enough to convince themselves that all black people behave the same way, and that its because they're black that they behave this way, and i'm completely fine with that. i just don't see why i need to know about it, and i certainly don't see the need to convey your dislike with the unnecessary use of the word [expletive]er. and well, you might say that i hate black people that behave a certain way...but that implies you don't have a problem with other races that behave that way...which means it has nothing to do with the behavior.

for the record, as for the word [expletive]er, i personally only use the word myself when rapping along with music, or quoting someone...has never been a part of my vocabulary. never referred to friends or anyone(black or otherwise) that way.

This

I tried to find these guys on twitter but they are gone. Their username doesn't exist. I am sure they got overwhelmed with a big backlash to their tweets.

I have never understood the use of that word either. I know alot of black people on twitter use it but I still don't know why. i heard that if you use it you can take back that word and make it less powerful. I don't know if that is the case.
"The way Steve is as a teammate, the way he sets the tone, the way the team kind of takes on his persona. As a coach, that's the best thing in the world. It's easy to coach. He's taking care of the chemistry. You just coach."

Mike D'Antoni

#9 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,723 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted April 28, 2012 - 07:32 AM

yea, i don't buy into that taking back the word deal...if i don't want to hear other races using it, i don't use it...simple as that

Posted Image

#10 Instigator

Instigator

Hall Of Fame

• 9,022 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 09:11 AM

Too many keyboard warriors over there

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users