Photo

Carl Landry Open To Re-Signing With Hornets

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,687 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted April 22, 2012 - 08:37 AM

Carl Landry Interested In Re-Signing With Hornets

Posted Image

By John Reid, The Times Picayune

With an expiring contract and no guarantee from the Hornets on a possible extension, forward Carl Landry may have played his final home game Thursday night at the New Orleans Arena.

With two picks already assured to be among the top 14 in June’s NBA draft, it’s not certain what direction the Hornets may go with their rebuilding plans now that Tom Benson owns the franchise.

But Coach Monty Williams indicated Thursday night that changes are likely ahead for their roster.

“It could be some surprises, and I’ll just leave it at that,’’ Williams said. “We’ve been evaluating older guys, even when they’re not on the floor.’’

Like Landry, shooting guard Marco Belinelli’s current deal expires after this season. Center Chris Kaman, who was acquired in the December trade that sent Chris Paul going to the Clippers, is in the final year of his contract. Although the Hornets listened to trade offers for Kaman before the February trade deadline, Hornets General Manager Dell Demps didn’t trade him. Now Kaman will become an unrestricted free agent.

“I’m trying to look to the future and see what’s best for myself and my family, and we’ll see,” Kaman said. “I can’t do anything until July, so I’ll get myself in better shape and see what happens.’’

The Hornets also could decide to use their one-time amnesty clause to waive center Emeka Okafor to clear more salary-cap space. Okafor is owed $28 million over the next two seasons.

Even if the Hornets were to use the amnesty clause, Okafor is still owed the money, but it wouldn’t count against their salary cap.

Okafor has missed 36 consecutive games with a sore left knee and is not expected to return for the final three games of the regular season.

Forward Trevor Ariza has the second-most lucrative contract. If he exercises his player option for the 2013-14 season, he would be owed $14.9 million for each of the next two seasons.

Ariza has not left the bench for seven consecutive games. Williams said he wants Al-Farouq Aminu, a younger player, to play extended minutes to evaluate him better.

Landry said he would like to return to the Hornets, but said he didn’t know if they will pursue re-signing him.

“You just never know,’’ said Landry, who scored 20 points and grabbed 10 rebounds against the Rockets. “You hear one thing one day, and something (else) the next. You’ve just got to play every game like it’s your last. That’s all you can do, especially in a contract situation like myself. You can’t worry about if you are going to be here tomorrow.’’

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ssf/2012/04/hornets_forward_carl_landry_fa.html

Edited by LALakersFan4Life, June 22, 2012 - 09:19 AM.

#2 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,687 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted June 22, 2012 - 09:24 AM

Carl Landry Open To Re-Signing With Hornets

Posted Image

By John Reid, The Times Picayune

With no assurances from the New Orleans Hornets that they will pursue re-signing him in free agency, veteran power forward Carl Landry said he’s still open to returning, although projected No. 1 pick Anthony Davis plays his position.

Landry, who will become an unrestricted free agent July 1, said he still sees a need for depth and has grown accustomed to the franchise.

After finishing with a 21-45 record last season, the Hornets are preparing to rebuild around their draft picks. Davis, a 6-foot-10 power forward, is considered to be a franchise-changing player. He led Kentucky to the national championship in April at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. The Hornets also have the No. 10 overall pick, and they could use it to select North Carolina 7-foot center Tyler Zeller. The Hornets also have the 46th overall pick in the second round.

“At this time, they have no actual center on the team,” Landry said Thursday at his youth basketball camp at Pelican Park in Mandeville. “We have forwards Lance Thomas, Gustavo Ayon and Jason Smith, and if they draft Davis, there is still need for depth with the bigs.”

Landry said he thinks new Hornets owner Tom Benson and General Manager Dell Demps will do a good job mixing the roster with veterans and young players.

The Hornets traded starting center Emeka Okafor and forward Trevor Ariza to the Washington Wizards on Wednesday in exchange for Rashard Lewis and their No. 46 pick in the second round. The Hornets are expected to buy out Lewis’ contract and waive him by July 1.

“It’s always tough to see two friends go,” Landry said. “They are my friends before anything. They played a big part in our success when we went to the playoffs. But at the same time, you have to understand that it’s a business.

“You know with a new owner, now we know the team is going to be here until 2024, and all the movement going on, it’s a business. You can’t take anything personal. You got to understand it’s that way and be a professional about it.”

Besides Landry, center Chris Kaman and shooting guard Marco Belinelli will become unrestricted free agents July 1.

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ssf/2012/06/carl_landry_hoping_es_to_retur.html

#3 Grandmaster

Grandmaster

Rookie

• 152 posts
  • Name:Jose
  • Fan Since:8 years old
  • Fav. Laker:Black Mamba, Ron Artest

Posted June 22, 2012 - 09:52 AM

I've always admired his game since he was punking Pau last playoffs.

#4 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,234 posts
  • Name:Ray Donovan
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 23, 2012 - 09:41 PM

I've always admired his game since he was punking Pau last playoffs.

Yeah.

This dude can ball.

He and Millsap are two "undersized" PF's that i really like.

#5 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,553 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 23, 2012 - 09:54 PM

I aswell have always thought very highly of Carl Landry.
I feel like he is a very underrated player and should definitely be given more credit.

Has a solid mid range jumper, can be very aggressive, athletic, and great heart.
Hope he finds a good team, if the price is right, Lakers should bite if Pau ends up being dealt for a good PG.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users