Photo

Kobe Is Not Concerned At All About the NBA Scoring Title; Wants to Return Before the Playoffs

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,596 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted April 17, 2012 - 09:42 AM

Posted Image

by Chris Fedor

For the first 56 games of the season, Kobe Bryant’s role on the Los Angeles Lakers was clear. He was the go-to guy on offense and the closer. His consistency was one of the biggest reasons why the Lakers were right in the thick of things in the Western Conference despite so much drama surrounding the team in shortened regular season. Since injuring his shin in a game against the Rockets last weekend, Kobe Bryant has taken on a new role as observer and coach from sidelines. During his absence, the Lakers haven’t missed a beat. The team is 4-1 in the five games that Bryant has missed. It’s unclear when Kobe will return to the court. Of course, the Black Mamba has a shot at the scoring title in a close race with Kevin Durant, but because of his supporting cast, Bryant has no reason to rush back to the floor before he is completely healthy. That’s a luxury he never had before.

Kobe Bryant joined Fox Sports Radio with the Loose Cannons to talk about what he has been learning from the sidelines and his new role as “coach,” when he expects to return, how much winning the scoring title means to him, if he would like to return before the playoffs start, and what has gotten into Metta World Peace.

On his new role as “coach”

“Being around the game for so long, 16 years, I understand where guys need to be and I can communicate it very well. It’s part of learning how to win a championship, which I’ve been fortunate to do five times and you have to be able to communicate well with your teammates and I think me being out, what it helped me do, it helped me to see where these guys want to have the ball in certain situations and it also gave them the ability to then trust themselves as opposed to saying ‘I’m not going to step out onto that ledge, I’m not going to be overly aggressive because I have Kobe and Andrew (Bynum) here so I’m just going to defer to them.’ Now that I’m gone it’s like ‘no you have to, you have no choice’ and the fact that they’ve been coming through just gives them a great deal of confidence.”

When he plans on returning:

“We’ll see man. We’ll see how it goes. The beautiful thing is there is really no rush right? We’re playing very well and this is the first time ever in my career where I’ve had an opportunity to kind of take my injuries and really be methodical with them and let them heal and get ready for a postseason run. In the past I didn’t have the luxury of doing that.”

If winning the NBA scoring title is important to him:

“Alright let me give you a Black Mamba answer. The fact that the question is even asked to me after all these years is silly to me. People, listeners, or whoever thinks that Kobe is really concerned about scoring, stats, or about individual play, just look at the facts. Just look at the facts over the last whatever, decade and a half, nobody has won more championships than I have and you can’t be a selfish player or individual player and win that many championships, it just can’t work. Does that answer your question?”

If he thinks it is important to return before the playoffs:

“From experience we had a similar experience, we had a similar situation if you remember back in 2001 when I went down with an ankle injury. We started finding a groove, then I came back, we continued to play well, went into the postseason and had a historic run to our second championship of 16-1. I’ve seen this before and I think it’s important to come back before the playoffs because you want to try to get some kind of a rhythm, continuity, and guys are going to have to readjust a little bit and I’m going to have to adjust a little bit as well. We have to figure some things out and I think it’s important to do that so you’re not going into the postseason cold turkey so to speak.”

What has gotten into Metta World Peace:

“Me and Metta had a conversation after the Clippers battle that we had at the Staples Center, there were like 100 scuffles in the game and Metta was involved in pretty much all of them. We were talking after the game at dinner and I said ‘Metta do you know, first of all World Peace is a hot name, it’s a dope name.’ Then he started looking at me out of the corner of his eye and was like ‘okay where are you going with this?’ I said ‘some people believe for us to achieve world peace the only way that can be achieved is through sheer will and through force of nature so sometimes you just have to go and conquer the territory and that’s when you establish world peace.’ He’s looking and he’s like ‘huh?’ I said ‘man you go out there and kick butt and then you establish order.’ He’s like ‘okay, I’ve got it.’ He’s playing extremely well. The biggest thing for him was getting into game shape. Once he got into game shape he dropped his weight and his foot speed is a lot faster, his hands are incredible and he’s shooting the ball extremely well.”

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2012/04/17/kobe-bryant-los-angeles-lakers-nba-shin-injury/

#2 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,098 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 17, 2012 - 09:59 AM

Kobe Bryant, SG PPG 28.1
Kevin Durant, SF PPG 27.8
LeBron James, SF PPG 27.1

Looking at the PPG I don't see Kobe losing the number one spot anyway. Looks like he's gonna win another scoring title in the year he's "done" :laughing:

Edited by Majesty, April 17, 2012 - 09:59 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#3 alexthegreat

alexthegreat

The GOAT

• 1,212 posts
  • Name:Al
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 17, 2012 - 10:25 AM

lol @ the MWP conversation

#4 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,098 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 10:50 AM

We were talking after the game at dinner and I said ‘Metta do you know, first of all World Peace is a hot name, it’s a dope name.’ Then he started looking at me out of the corner of his eye and was like ‘okay where are you going with this?’ I said ‘some people believe for us to achieve world peace the only way that can be achieved is through sheer will and through force of nature so sometimes you just have to go and conquer the territory and that’s when you establish world peace.’ He’s looking and he’s like ‘huh?’ I said ‘man you go out there and kick butt and then you establish order.’ He’s like ‘okay, I’ve got it.'

Now why couldn't that have been in one of the Kobe System commercials?! :laughing:

All that's left is Kobe saying 'you're welcome' after all that

#5 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,691 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted April 17, 2012 - 11:11 AM

Kobe is pretty hilarious nowadays

#6 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,706 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted April 17, 2012 - 11:21 AM

Lol @ that MWP. conversation.

#7 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,565 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted April 17, 2012 - 11:31 AM

he is lying...

#8 serenityy

serenityy

Off The Bench

• 1,898 posts
  • Fan Since:1995

Posted April 17, 2012 - 11:39 AM

He is in a good mood. After passing shaq in points and rings he feels very relaxed. He knows he owns this era and is far from done. You know he wants that sixth ring, but it may not be as significant as his fifth.. To him anyway... Before that fifth ring he was pretty much a robot.

#9 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,098 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 11:40 AM

he is lying...

Kobe doesn't care about statistics as long as the team wins. When other people are rolling we've seen Kobe settle for scoring 11 points before. If Kobe could choose making the finals and being last in the league in scoring or leading the league in scoring and setting 20 world records but losing in the first round. He'd chose the first option.

#10 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,565 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted April 17, 2012 - 11:48 AM

Kobe doesn't care about statistics as long as the team wins. When other people are rolling we've seen Kobe settle for scoring 11 points before. If Kobe could choose making the finals and being last in the league in scoring or leading the league in scoring and setting 20 world records but losing in the first round. He'd chose the first option.

Having watched most of the Laker games this season, it is unreasonable to think that Kobe is not gunning for NBA-All Time scoring title...

There is no reason for him to jack up 30 shots against bad teams, when he is having an off night.... unless he is shooting for individual achievements...

He isjust giving a politically correct answer..
Kobe leading the NBA in scoring in his 16th NBA season is increadably impressive.

#11 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,123 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted April 17, 2012 - 11:55 AM

haha Kobe is a damn fool

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#12 RayRay

RayRay

Sixth Man

• 3,524 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 96
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Hobe

Posted April 17, 2012 - 12:30 PM

lol @ the MWP conversation

only Kobe can stop Kobe.

#13 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,098 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 03:16 PM

Having watched most of the Laker games this season, it is unreasonable to think that Kobe is not gunning for NBA-All Time scoring title...

There is no reason for him to jack up 30 shots against bad teams, when he is having an off night.... unless he is shooting for individual achievements...

He isjust giving a politically correct answer..
Kobe leading the NBA in scoring in his 16th NBA season is increadably impressive.

Or he is trying to help his team win..

One thing about Kobe is he is extremely stubborn and he HATES losing and wants to bring his team back under any circumstances, if his teammates are missing shots, even if he is having an off game he will try to will them to victory, it's part of his DNA and he's willing to take that responsibility on his shoulders. To say he's trying to shoot for "individual goals" is silly at this point. Kobe wants to win under any circumstances and if no one else steps up he's gonna put the team on his shoulders and try to carry them, off game or not. If he is selfish about anything it's winning. This is the same Kobe Bryant that didn't care that Phil pulled him out of the 3rd quarter of a 62 point performance he put together so far cause his team was going to win. If Kobe gave a darn about individual achievements he'd have been pissed.

The only achievement Kobe cares about is rings.

Edited by Majesty, April 17, 2012 - 03:18 PM.

#14 maydepot

maydepot

Rookie

• 22 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 12:50 PM

He needs to stop doing "Loose Cannons" show cause that host is a major Kobe hater and a giant douchebag. The same clown announced that Peyton was retiring just before signing a long term deal with Denver.

#15 RayRay

RayRay

Sixth Man

• 3,524 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 96
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Hobe

Posted April 18, 2012 - 07:17 PM

They just said that Kobe landed in Oakland around 1:30 in the morning and went straight to the Oracle Arena to work out.

That's why there's Kobe and then the rest of them.
only Kobe can stop Kobe.

#16 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,358 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 18, 2012 - 09:18 PM

Kobe looks damn sexy in a suit no homo :laughing:

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#17 Anautikus

Anautikus

#DominateLA

• 688 posts
  • Fan Since:All Star Weekend '98
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Pau, the Candyman

Posted April 18, 2012 - 11:06 PM

"Huh?" Classic Artest-WorldPeace

#DominateInjuries

#DominateHashtags

#DominateDominating

#KobeSystem

#18 Showtime 2.0

Showtime 2.0

NBA Finals MVP

• 108 posts
  • Fan Since:Bryant...to Shaq!!!
  • Fav. Laker:24 16 10 12

Posted April 19, 2012 - 07:56 AM

I don't believe that for a second...we'll see. If Kobe takes the efficient route tomorrow, feeding the bigs, facilitating, and taking high percentage jumpers, then maybe. Hed have to do it against OKC too. High chance Durant will pass him by seasons end if this happens.

Cmon Kobe, play efficient the next two games and go off for 50 at Sacramento :laughing:

#19 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,713 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted April 19, 2012 - 12:55 PM

My numbers for Kobe:

25-32 vs spurs

28-35 vs okc

25-30 vs sac

If anything. He can keep it or lose it. But I want him to win it

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#20 LikeABosh

LikeABosh

Off The Bench

• 2,537 posts
  • Fan Since:Kobe/Fisher
  • Fav. Laker:Fisher

Posted April 21, 2012 - 12:12 PM

He's only .1 ahead of KD now.

Kobe is 27.9 and KD is 27.8

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users