Farmar sets sights on starting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*

Posted October 16, 2008 - 11:46 AM

PE: EL SEGUNDO - Coming off the bench behind veteran point guard Derek Fisher doesn't bother Jordan Farmar. He just wants everyone to know he doesn't plan to be an understudy forever.

Asked if he views this season as his chance to prove he's capable of succeeding Fisher, Farmar unapologetically said earning the starting point guard job has been his goal since the Lakers selected him 26th in the 2006 draft.

"I know I can succeed in this league, and I know I should be a starting point guard one day," Farmar said. "That's no secret. That's nothing to be ashamed of. I want to push myself to be the best basketball player I can be."

Shuffled back and forth between the Lakers and their D-League affiliate as a rookie, Farmar solidified his place in the league last season, showcasing the energy and playmaking skills that were his trademarks at UCLA. He sparked the Lakers' transition offense off the bench, averaging 9.1 points and 2.7 assists in just over 20 minutes a game.

The desire to push Fisher for the starting job this season led Farmar back to the gym during the offseason when he wasn't busy running youth basketball camps in Israel or doing charity work in his native Los Angeles.

He better start playing some D if he wants to start.

#2 BadScooter

BadScooter

Rookie

• 600 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 16, 2008 - 11:51 AM

Our team better start playing some D if they want to win a title.

Fixed.

Edited by BadScooter, October 16, 2008 - 11:51 AM.

#3 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 16, 2008 - 01:17 PM

^ exactly..I don't see much D from them yet...maybe its because its preseason? I don't know.
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#4 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted October 16, 2008 - 01:25 PM

He'll have his time to shine.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#5 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,803 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 16, 2008 - 02:52 PM

He's got his work cut out for him cause he hasn't impressed yet. He's mediocre with skills that fit D'Antoni's offense more than the triangle.

#6 Kobynum Gasodom

Kobynum Gasodom

Rookie

• 72 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe/magic/Kareem

Posted October 16, 2008 - 04:26 PM

Farmar, is alreaady better than fisher physically, and in overall offensive productivity. His ailments are on-ball D, and consistency in his slashing abilities. Also if you watched farmar his first year, he showed very good passing abilities, but he prefers to score more so in my opinion. Fisher is just so clutch, and mentally tough that he deserves the starting spot in the beginning of the year.

#7 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,803 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 16, 2008 - 04:42 PM

Farmar, is alreaady better than fisher physically, and in overall offensive productivity. His ailments are on-ball D, and consistency in his slashing abilities. Also if you watched farmar his first year, he showed very good passing abilities, but he prefers to score more so in my opinion. Fisher is just so clutch, and mentally tough that he deserves the starting spot in the beginning of the year.

Fisher is the best fit we have as a starting 1 on this team.

Farmar is a traditional PG with ballhandling and floor general/playmaking skills. That's NOT a triangle PG.

Until Farmar develops a consistent outside J and keeps his man in front of him, I don't see Phil preferring him to Fisher.

#8 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted October 16, 2008 - 04:55 PM

I agree that he is better fitted for Mike's system, a tri guard doesn't get that many chances to slash so it hurts him.
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#9 Kobynum Gasodom

Kobynum Gasodom

Rookie

• 72 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe/magic/Kareem

Posted October 16, 2008 - 05:13 PM

Ron Harper slashed/ and that worked. Pippen slashed in a pg type of a role, and when smush parker was a decent guard( he was dubbed a pleasant surprise the night Kobe hit 81), he and Kobe slashed. and fisher's d isnt much better than farmar's in all honesty. Maybe his effort is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users