172 replies to this topic

#1 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 08, 2012 - 01:20 PM

I blame Pau for some of our losses because he is a seven footer that plays against majority of the time smaller players and gets destroyed every game.... And when somebody plays physical with him either he plays good or bad..... So when he's not playing any defense or scoring any buckets he becomes a liability And his pick and roll defense is terrible

Bynum is similar to Pau but the biggest difference is physicality.... Bynum will Get physical with someone in the paint and plays aggressive but he is a terrible defender as well and picks and chooses when he wants to help instead of playing hard on both sides of the floor for the whole game..... And even though he does rebound when he wants to.... When is offense is off he becomes useless... If your not playing good defense and then on the other side of the court your missing all your shots then what are we paying you for?

WE HAVE TWO SEVEN FOOTERS and Kobe a premier perimeter defender and once was defensive player of the year Ron Artest.... It baffles me how we have such a big size difference and great perimeter defenders but our defense can still be down right awful in some games.....

It's like any team that runs a pick and roll offense has a field day cause nobody switches nobody closes out on shooters and PAU AND BYNUM just let anybody come to the paint smh

This team in my eyes is a good basketball team minus the fact our bench is down right awful... We have a solid starting five that should be able to put up points fast and play lock down defense

#2 Henny Loc

Henny Loc

Livin' Legend

• 703 posts
  • Name:LS3
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted April 08, 2012 - 02:05 PM

I admit to being one of the biggest Pau haters in LA but you cant blame this guy or Bynum...Pau has gracefully taken a backseat to let Bynum shine and Bynum has taken his game to another level... If anything I put the blame on our bench...worst in the league... In addition the mismanaged rotation of our players...if we had a Jason Terry/JR Smith type spark off the bench we would have at least 4-5 more wins this season

#3 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted April 08, 2012 - 02:42 PM

Offensively there good but I made this post talking about their DEFENSE

#4 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,358 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted April 08, 2012 - 02:57 PM

Their defense has definitely sucked but in all honesty aside from the bench, it's comments from Bynum like "stuff happens" regarding his ejection that worries me the most

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#5 maydepot

maydepot

Rookie

• 22 posts

Posted April 08, 2012 - 04:11 PM

Pau is the softest 7 footer since Dirk without the offensive prowess.

Bynum is a selfish prick who never helps out on defense cause he only cares about the guy hes guarding.

They should just play zone all the time.

#6 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted April 08, 2012 - 09:09 PM

It's just crazy how much we blamed fisher for point guards lighting us up.... Besides the fact Derek fisher couldn't stay in front of NO PG in the Leauge... When players played any kind of pick and roll offense we got destroyed cause Pau doesn't know how to defend it and BYNUM just stays in the paint

#7 pointguard11

pointguard11

Starter

• 4,949 posts

Posted April 08, 2012 - 09:16 PM

:facepalm:
"The way Steve is as a teammate, the way he sets the tone, the way the team kind of takes on his persona. As a coach, that's the best thing in the world. It's easy to coach. He's taking care of the chemistry. You just coach."

Mike D'Antoni

#8 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,157 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted April 09, 2012 - 05:45 AM

I blame Pau for some of our losses because he is a seven footer that plays against majority of the time smaller players and gets destroyed every game.... And when somebody plays physical with him either he plays good or bad..... So when he's not playing any defense or scoring any buckets he becomes a liability And his pick and roll defense is terrible

Bynum is similar to Pau but the biggest difference is physicality.... Bynum will Get physical with someone in the paint and plays aggressive but he is a terrible defender as well and picks and chooses when he wants to help instead of playing hard on both sides of the floor for the whole game..... And even though he does rebound when he wants to.... When is offense is off he becomes useless... If your not playing good defense and then on the other side of the court your missing all your shots then what are we paying you for?

WE HAVE TWO SEVEN FOOTERS and Kobe a premier perimeter defender and once was defensive player of the year Ron Artest.... It baffles me how we have such a big size difference and great perimeter defenders but our defense can still be down right awful in some games.....

It's like any team that runs a pick and roll offense has a field day cause nobody switches nobody closes out on shooters and PAU AND BYNUM just let anybody come to the paint smh

This team in my eyes is a good basketball team minus the fact our bench is down right awful... We have a solid starting five that should be able to put up points fast and play lock down defense

Our guys stilll dont relaize basic off ball defensive rotations. We play way to much help defense and give up the wideopen 3 ball countless times per quarters. We dont close out correctly and we dont get back on defense after a terrible offensive shot which lead to many easy transition baskets. If any team wants to pick LA apart all they have to do is run PnR from top of keys or corner high spots. La isnt smart enough to make the correct rotations routinely. There is always mental breakdowns by every player on the roster. Brown needs more effot & hustle guys that are athletic that can makeup for getting beat off first intial move.
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#9 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 07:50 AM

Our guys stilll dont relaize basic off ball defensive rotations. We play way to much help defense and give up the wideopen 3 ball countless times per quarters. We dont close out correctly and we dont get back on defense after a terrible offensive shot which lead to many easy transition baskets. If any team wants to pick LA apart all they have to do is run PnR from top of keys or corner high spots. La isnt smart enough to make the correct rotations routinely. There is always mental breakdowns by every player on the roster. Brown needs more effot & hustle guys that are athletic that can makeup for getting beat off first intial move.

Gervis Vasquez and Marco Belineli smh LIT US UP idk how we can be so oblivious on defense sometimes we barely ever close out on shooters

And we should get rid of A LOT of players go younger and get 1 or 2 veterans that are still playing at a high productive level

#10 larry14r

larry14r

Rookie

• 790 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 08:40 AM

Gervis Vasquez and Marco Belineli smh LIT US UP idk how we can be so oblivious on defense sometimes we barely ever close out on shooters

And we should get rid of A LOT of players go younger and get 1 or 2 veterans that are still playing at a high productive level

And now you know what we might be getting back for Gasol when he's dealt this summer.

#11 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 08:51 AM

And now you know what we might be getting back for Gasol when he's dealt this summer.

Hopefully we can trade him for Anthony Davis and Gerald henderson lol :laughing: that would be a dream come true but idk realistically idk who though

#12 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,683 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 10, 2012 - 10:57 AM

Our bench is non existant, that is our problem.
Posted Image

#13 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,132 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 11:00 AM

It's not pau and Bynum. If anything they are our two most consistent defenders

The issue is sessions is an awful defensive player in the pick and roll. Worse than fisher. Man to man he's better but pick and roll he's just bad. Ron artest doesn't show up defensively unless it's Durant, melo, or Lebron and kobe doesn't show up unless it's wade or harden

Our bigs are told to show on P&R while the guards And wings are torching us. And when it isn't P&R our guys get beat and pau or Bynum have to step up and the guard just dumps it off for a dunk ( which is the help guys fault pau or Bynum depending on the play)

Perimeter defense is a much larger issue. Scheme is probably 2nd since brown has our bigs showing on pick and rolls for whatever reason instead of doing the smart thing which would be having the bigs sink to the paint, and then the bigs on help defense are not hustling
Posted Image

#14 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 11:19 AM

It's not pau and Bynum. If anything they are our two most consistent defenders

The issue is sessions is an awful defensive player in the pick and roll. Worse than fisher. Man to man he's better but pick and roll he's just bad. Ron artest doesn't show up defensively unless it's Durant, melo, or Lebron and kobe doesn't show up unless it's wade or harden

Our bigs are told to show on P&R while the guards And wings are torching us. And when it isn't P&R our guys get beat and pau or Bynum have to step up and the guard just dumps it off for a dunk ( which is the help guys fault pau or Bynum depending on the play)

Perimeter defense is a much larger issue. Scheme is probably 2nd since brown has our bigs showing on pick and rolls for whatever reason instead of doing the smart thing which would be having the bigs sink to the paint, and then the bigs on help defense are not hustling

Lol so when sessions gets screened and nobody steps up or rotates its his fault? Tell me exactly what he does wrong :laughing: also when sessions is in a mismatch he either fouls immediately or makes the right play on defense.... and Kobe has been 1st TEAM DEFENISVE PLAYER for the last 8 years and now Kobe is a bad defender? How many defensive teams have Pau and Bynum been on? And Artest does get lost on defense from time to time but he ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS gets those BIG stops on defense in the fourth quarter.... He does too much for us on defense to blame him for our bad defense....

#15 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 11:22 AM

Our bench is non existant, that is our problem.

That is also a problem but that's obvious

#16 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,132 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 11:48 AM

Lol so when sessions gets screened and nobody steps up or rotates its his fault? Tell me exactly what he does wrong :laughing: also when sessions is in a mismatch he either fouls immediately or makes the right play on defense.... and Kobe has been 1st TEAM DEFENISVE PLAYER for the last 8 years and now Kobe is a bad defender? How many defensive teams have Pau and Bynum been on? And Artest does get lost on defense from time to time but he ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS gets those BIG stops on defense in the fourth quarter.... He does too much for us on defense to blame him for our bad defense....

Lol wow. Anyone who thinks Kobe deserved to be an all defensive member the past 3 years is a blind homer. Second of all anyone with any experience watching basketball can tell you sessions is playing awful in screen and roll. Players can go over the top of the screen or under it. Sessions does neither. He bumps into it and our big men are left in no mans land. See the clippers game for an example.

Your letting blind hatred of pau and Bynum and blind homerism of Kobe cloud your vision. And artest makes big stops? And that's relevant to this thread how?. In that case pau is our 2nd best defender since he make clutch stop after clutch stop.
Posted Image

#17 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 12:04 PM

Lol wow. Anyone who thinks Kobe deserved to be an all defensive member the past 3 years is a blind homer. Second of all anyone with any experience watching basketball can tell you sessions is playing awful in screen and roll. Players can go over the top of the screen or under it. Sessions does neither. He bumps into it and our big men are left in no mans land. See the clippers game for an example.

Your letting blind hatred of pau and Bynum and blind homerism of Kobe cloud your vision. And artest makes big stops? And that's relevant to this thread how?. In that case pau is our 2nd best defender since he make clutch stop after clutch stop.

Idk if you have noticed but the last two games with Kobe not on the perimeter playing defense has shown GREATLY... All I'm saying bout Kobe is that he's not a bad defender from what i have seen

Idk if you been paying attention but mike brown has been telling him to go UNDER screens lol... And he's also said that sessions is a SOLID defender lol but still has things to improve... Sessions isn't the best perimeter defender but he sure isn't an as awful as you make him out to be....

Prior from the all star break I really wanted Pau gone because he wasn't producing to what he was capable of but since then he's been playing better... I don't hate Bynum or Pau but I feel like their defense is bad Pau has gotten dunked on and raped ALL SEASON LONG I don't see how you haven't noticed that? And the only clutch defensive plays that stood out to me was the game winning block he had waaaayy earlier this season on a gaurd and a great timely block last night....

Ron artest doesn't show up defensively unless it's Durant, melo, or Lebron
And artest makes big stops? And that's relevant to this thread how?
Yea lol you brought him up ... And I defended his case cause he is our best defensive player lol and I'm shocked your saying he only shows up when we play against superstars lol

#18 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,469 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted April 10, 2012 - 12:15 PM

Idk if you have noticed but the last two games with Kobe not on the perimeter playing defense has shown GREATLY... All I'm saying bout Kobe is that he's not a bad defender from what i have seen

Idk if you been paying attention but mike brown has been telling him to go UNDER screens lol... And he's also said that sessions is a SOLID defender lol but still has things to improve... Sessions isn't the best perimeter defender but he sure isn't an as awful as you make him out to be....

Prior from the all star break I really wanted Pau gone because he wasn't producing to what he was capable of but since then he's been playing better... I don't hate Bynum or Pau but I feel like their defense is bad Pau has gotten dunked on and raped ALL SEASON LONG I don't see how you haven't noticed that? And the only clutch defensive plays that stood out to me was the game winning block he had waaaayy earlier this season on a gaurd and a great timely block last night....

Ron artest doesn't show up defensively unless it's Durant, melo, or Lebron
And artest makes big stops? And that's relevant to this thread how?
Yea lol you brought him up ... And I defended his case cause he is our best defensive player lol and I'm shocked your saying he only shows up when we play against superstars lol

Kobe can play great defense but he rarely plays any defense and roams around...so you are wrong there. Mike Brown says sessions is a solid defender.......He said that same thing about blake........so just erase that. Pau has had a couple clutch defensive plays and played great D on the Blake. Artest only steps against high scorers....

And wait shouldn't Kobe be our best defender because he was on the 1st all defensive team. :laughing:

Edited by LakeShow805, April 10, 2012 - 12:16 PM.

#19 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,709 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted April 10, 2012 - 12:20 PM

Kobe can be lethal on defense. But think about it; he's getting old, so why exert so much effort if he's only going to exhaust himself?

#20 J-H!zZl3

J-H!zZl3

New season, same goal.

• 13,773 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Worthy, Kareem, Kobe

Posted April 10, 2012 - 12:27 PM

I have said this for years now. He gets the nod because of his reputation. Lol. Tony Allen was clearly a better defender than Kobe last year. Allen and Deng were probably the best perimeter and on ball defenders in the league in the league last year (Avery Bradley is a top on ball defender in the league this year also). But still Kobe was chosen over Allen. Don't get me wrong, Kobe was a great defender and he shows flashes of it whenever he feels like it. But to rob players that are clearly defending at a higher level on a consistent basis is just asinine.

Edited by J-H!zZl3, April 10, 2012 - 12:29 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users