#1 J-H!zZl3

J-H!zZl3

New season, same goal.

• 13,773 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Worthy, Kareem, Kobe

Posted March 17, 2012 - 08:14 AM

Kobe Bryant is pragmatic about Lakers trading Derek Fisher

As the text messages popped up on his screen, Lakers guard Kobe Bryant laughed.

He had talked with longtime former teammate Derek Fisher, who the Lakers had just traded to the Houston Rockets for Jordan Hill. But instead of expressing sympathies over losing a teammate that helped the team win five NBA championships and provide another leadership presence, Bryant and Fisher simply appreciated what they already accomplished.

"He knows how I am," Bryant said after the Lakers' 97-92 victory Friday over the Minnesota Timberwolves. "We talked about the good times and what a fun time it was to go to battle together and things like that. But that's about as sentimental as I'm going to get."

Bryant wasn't kidding. He even said "no" when asked directly if he was upset that the Lakers shipped off his longtime teammate and confidant. It's an answer one would hardly expect. Fisher's return to the Lakers in 2007 softened Bryant's trade demands. Bryant publicly advocated the Lakers re-sign Fisher when he became a free agent in 2010. During the 2010 NBA Finals, Bryant revealed Fisher is the only teammate he's truly respected and he said "no" on Friday when asked if there's any current or former teammte that's closer to him. Bryant provided a simple explanation for his stoic reaction.

"I've been here for a while and I've seen some of my closest friends go starting with Caron [Butler], Ronny Turiaf, Lamar Odom and Derek. I've been through it so many times before."

It also helps that Fisher's departure coincided with the acquisition of point guard Ramon Sessions from Cleveland for Luke Walton, Jason Kapono, a first-round pick and less than $1 million in cash. Despite having minimal contact with teammates, logging no practice time and learning plays on the fly, Sessions posted seven points on three-of-six shooting, five assists and four rebounds.

The effort prompted Bryant to rave about his basketball IQ, ability to run pick-and-roll plays and, of course, it increased Bryant's scoring chances.

"It makes my job a lot easier," said Bryant, who scored 28 points on nine-of-20 shooting, including five of eight from three-point range. "I get a lot of easier opportunities. I sit on the perimeter. I got a lot of spot-up shots tonight both from his break-down penetration and from teams collapsing onAndrew [Bynum]."

Bryant hardly enjoyed that luxury with Fisher, whose declining speed and inconsistent shooting partly prompted the Lakers to seek an upgrade at point guard. Still, Bryant acknowledged it's going to be "very difficult" and "pretty weird" to no longer be playing alongside his long-time co-captain.

He joked Fisher's co-captain role made it easier for him because "I didn't have to go to half court and meet with the refs before the game." But his value obviously extended beyond that. Fisher possessed a nurturing enough personality to serve as a bridge for teammates that often have been afraid of Bryant. Fisher's determined attitude often kept Bryant's stubbornness in check. And, of course, Fisher's storied reputation as clutch shooter.

"The experience of winning five championships doesn't happen by accident," Bryant said. "There's a reason why players who have won multiple championships have multiple championships. There's a certain characteristic and understanding and kncolwedge. that's not something easily taught. You have to go through it and that's something that's part of the DNA from the beginning. That's something that's obviously tough to replace but we believe Sessions has that DNA."

It remains to be seen whether that will be enough. Or if Pau Gasol assuming the co-captain position will actually make a difference. Only Fisher ever had the ability to keep a locker room run by Bryant from falling apart. But Bryant refused to harp over the deal, stew about how the trade went down or reveal how Fisher has handeled his departure.

"Ask Derek. He's much more politically correct than I am," Bryant said. "I'm sure Derek will answer it the best way he sees fit."

Instead, Bryant will just laugh and enjoy the memories they once had

http://www.latimes.c...0,6096138.story

Video as well:

Edited by J-H!zZl3, March 17, 2012 - 08:19 AM.

Posted Image

#2 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,280 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted March 17, 2012 - 08:19 AM

Good stuff. You will never see kobe show his emotions specially if the enemy is watching.

#3 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 17, 2012 - 08:29 AM

Kobe's such a badass

#4 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,380 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 08:38 AM

What I find interesting is that Kobe was angry about the Lamar Odom trade. This trade he doesn't seem angry at all. He's just more upset than anything which is expected.

#5 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,306 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000

Posted March 17, 2012 - 08:43 AM

We all know he's mad and upset on the inside, but it's Kobe .. He'll never let you see him sad and depressed about a teammate and close friend who left ..

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Message From Pac

#6 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,095 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted March 17, 2012 - 08:55 AM

What I find interesting is that Kobe was angry about the Lamar Odom trade. This trade he doesn't seem angry at all. He's just more upset than anything which is expected.

I think he was more upset that he was traded to Dallas

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#7 southernyankee21

southernyankee21

Rookie

• 286 posts
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, MWP

Posted March 17, 2012 - 08:55 AM

Kobe and his emotions.......
im·mi·nent
adjective
likely to occur at any moment; impending: A Dwight Howard trade is imminent.

#8 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 09:02 AM

I think he was more upset that he was traded to Dallas

I think he was more upset that he couldn't see any tangible result of that trade atleast with this one he can see the upgrade in Sessions over Fisher.

#9 serenityy

serenityy

Off The Bench

• 1,898 posts
  • Fan Since:1995
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 17, 2012 - 09:18 AM

I think Kobe knew a change was needed. His love for Derek is great but I think his desire for winning is even greater.

#10 J-H!zZl3

J-H!zZl3

New season, same goal.

• 13,773 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 09:23 AM

I think he was more upset that he couldn't see any tangible result of that trade atleast with this one he can see the upgrade in Sessions over Fisher.

I concur. I think Kobe was a little baffled that the Lakers got nothing for LO.

Posted Image

#11 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,095 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted March 17, 2012 - 09:24 AM

I concur. I think Kobe was a little baffled that the Lakers got nothing for LO.

We basically got LO for Sessions though. I think we traded the Mavs pick for him, could be wrong tho

edit: I'm wrong lol

Edited by True Lakers Fan, March 17, 2012 - 09:26 AM.

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#12 southernyankee21

southernyankee21

Rookie

• 286 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 09:49 AM

when does the tpe from the lamar trade expire?
im·mi·nent
adjective

#13 J-H!zZl3

J-H!zZl3

New season, same goal.

• 13,773 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 09:50 AM

when does the tpe from the lamar trade expire?

December, I believe.

Posted Image

#14 southernyankee21

southernyankee21

Rookie

• 286 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 10:00 AM

Adande on SC was saying how Kobe obviously isn't happy but if there's anyone who can play through discomfort it's him. I think once Sessions gets going Kobe will warm up to the idea, we knew the day that fish would leave the lakers (willingly or unwillingly) was coming soon, I would have liked for him to retire as a Laker but keeping Fish wasn't in the best interest of the Lakers in terms of business. Yes he does bring the intangibles like leadership but having a 3rd string pg with a contract like his just didn't make sense. After all the trades our payroll is now the 3rd highest as compared to being the highest before according to hoopshype.
im·mi·nent
adjective

#15 alexthegreat

alexthegreat

The GOAT

• 1,212 posts
  • Name:Al
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 17, 2012 - 10:25 AM

Obviously with the Fish trade, it struck closer to the heart, but I think if we had not gotten Sessions, he probably would have been even more upset like he was with the LO trade

#16 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,450 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 10:50 AM

I think it's hard for Kobe to complain when he's the reason we need to be much more conscious on spending money.

Just my opinion anyways..... :whistle:

#17 southernyankee21

southernyankee21

Rookie

• 286 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 11:27 AM

I think it's hard for Kobe to complain when he's the reason we need to be much more conscious on spending money.

very true
im·mi·nent
adjective

#18 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 11:36 AM

Don't you ever talk about Kobe like that again....hear me boy

#19 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,450 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 12:32 PM

Don't you ever talk about Kobe like that again....hear me boy

Hey I love Kobe but it's true.

I don't blame him though. If I could demand that much money and I was worth it, I can't say I wouldn't be doing the same thing.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users