#161 KB24BlackMamba

KB24BlackMamba

Rookie

• 397 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 20, 2012 - 04:24 AM

Love reading threads where Real Deal drops knowledge on everyone.

Posted Image

#162 CoinFlip

CoinFlip

Rookie

• 47 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 07:15 AM

Fifteen different players have had starts, including:
Gerald Green? Still on the bench.

The implication here is misleading. Green's role is as the 6th man scorer off the bench on a team that needs one. Of course he wouldn't start. And he finishes the games on the court even in close games now. Avery trusts Green. But we will see what happens when Lopez comes back. With Stevenson out of the rotation--because of Wallace's and Green's arrival--the final spot in crunch time would go to Morrow, Brooks, or Green.
Lopez
Humphries
Wallace
???
Williams

I am thinking it may be Green.

He IS clueless on defense. I gave you statistics to prove it. He is the 8th best defender on one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA. What video are you going to show me that disproves it?

There are no videos of Nets games on youtube, though the Houston game was on for a while. I only can say watch actual games. The dude is very active and hustles. He uses his athleticism when he can. I agree with repole about his weaknesses. And though I continue to maintain that he is not some defensive stopper, I also disagree with Real Deal's characterization of the meaning of the stats. The team right now is trying hard. It's almost heartbreaking how bad they are. The biggest problem is obvious. The team lacks interior defense which leaves everyone vulnerable. It's like there's nothing back there. They cleared up cap space and were totally betting that Dwight was coming. The return of Lopez will not fix this mess. Wallace and Green on the perimeter are very long and active. Of course, Wallace is significantly better. Still, I think they'd make a good pair of defenders on a better team.

Generally, I don't think it is useful to judge individual defensive performances on a wreckage of a team like this by stats alone.

What is this discussion about point guard play and Gerald Green? Avery would rather have Gaines play the point (like he did in one game this season) NOT because of Green's lack of ball-handling (although that plays a small part), but because Green is nowhere near a facilitator, and he would get absolutely burned back on defense against the majority of PG's in this league.

There would be no reason not to cross match. But this has nothing to do with anything. Anyway, what's interesting about Green finding himself switching to the point at the top of the key on defense is that if you blow by him for the layup you have to watch out for his shot blocking. He looks like he can set that up. He almost got Kyrie, who was forced to miss the layup.

The games you gave me were ridiculous. You tried showing me that he can make 1-2 mid-range shots in a game (in eight of his 12, no more than two outside of the paint, minus threes). Is this a serious discussion? In a game against a team that didn't let him get off his shots, contested everything (Miami Heat), he crumbled and looked like the D-Leaguer he really is.

You keep mischaracterizing my point. I have unwaveringly maintained that I wouldn't trust his offense from him this year against strong defenses.

Also, see below for reason I gave those links.

By the way, the mid-range game...I'm not even sure why we are so hyped about that.

Your repeated assertion has been that Green is not a spot up shooter. This is clearly false. His spot up is fine. But maybe I mistook your point as to why you keep asserting this untruth. I thought you were implying that he cannot shoot from outside. But of course he can. That's what the shot charts were meant to show.

Going back, it seems your actual point is that he does not know how to move off the ball to create better spacing for his teammates or use the dribble to create an opportunity for others. We are not arguing the second point because you are correct.. What is false is the first part. He doesn't just park himself somewhere unengaged from his teammates. And he knows to stay available to passers.

What? That was Fisher's problem? No. Fisher's problem was that he was not a point guard. He was a one-dimensional spot-up two-guard that had to play the PG position because he was too small to defend the taller SG.

I agree with your assessment that he was a 1-d spot-up 2-guard. The point is that he was nothing more than a spot up shooter in part because he could not increase the skill level of his ball handling enough.

Fisher wasn't ever an elite athlete. But he came into the league able to dunk. He was fast. He had good lateral quickness. The problem was that he couldn't be agile with the ball. The dude worked on his game. But he couldn't slash. He couldn't break anyone down with the dribble. He couldn't use a screen. He couldn't probe. A 1-d spot-up shooter is almost always someone who's ball handling is not good enough.

Ahh says that you can improve your dribble. Everyone agrees. But to what extent can you increase it? How long would Fisher have had to practice before he could control the ball like Chris Paul? The answer is something like eternity, at least.

Gerald Green looks like he has the coordination to learn to be an excellent dribbler. I'm hopeful but doubting.

Edited by CoinFlip, March 20, 2012 - 09:06 AM.

#163 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,819 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted March 20, 2012 - 08:13 AM

I'm amazed we have 6 pages of Gerald Green discussion. Dear lord...

#164 CoinFlip

CoinFlip

Rookie

• 47 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 08:19 AM

I'm amazed we have 6 pages of Gerald Green discussion. Dear lord...

People love reading threads where Real Deal drops knowledge on everyone. You gotta give the people what they want... :rock:

#165 repole

repole

Rookie

• 17 posts
  • Fan Since:Never :)
  • Fav. Laker:Gerald Green

Posted March 20, 2012 - 09:15 AM

This thread is painful to read.

For anyone who watched the Nets game last night (no idea why anyone would), Avery put Green on Kyrie (who was torching DWill all game) at certain points and he absolutely shut him down, probably the most impressive defense I've seen Gerald play in his NBA career. He only spent about 10 minutes guarding him, but in the process blocked one of his shots, had a steal, and forced him into a number of difficult shots.

What stats is RealDeal looking at to say GG is the 8th worst defender in the league by the way? Synergy? I wouldn't doubt that being true, but I also would expect that most of his Nets teammates are right there with him.

#166 CoinFlip

CoinFlip

Rookie

• 47 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 09:18 AM

For anyone who watched the Nets game last night (no idea why anyone would), Avery put Green on Kyrie (who was torching DWill all game) at certain points and he absolutely shut him down, probably the most impressive defense I've seen Gerald play in his NBA career. He only spent about 10 minutes guarding him, but in the process blocked one of his shots, had a steal, and forced him into a number of difficult shots.

What stats is RealDeal looking at to say GG is the 8th worst defender in the league by the way? Synergy? I wouldn't doubt that being true, but I also would expect that most of his Nets teammates are right there with him.

Cool. :)

#167 CoinFlip

CoinFlip

Rookie

• 47 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 09:25 AM

Green hits big three at the end to get to within 3 of the Cavs with 19 sec left.

Also, it looks like Cavs won't be playing Walton anytime soon though...

#168 CoinFlip

CoinFlip

Rookie

• 47 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 09:30 AM

I like that Green knows how to set up someone for the block. The one I saw in the highlights showed Green letting Kyrie use his left to go around him at the top of the key. Then he just shadowed him as Kyrie drove down the left lane. Green stayed about a foot behind. Then Green tried to get it, but the shot was off and that big dude dunked the miss. I would love to have a shot blocking wing who can shoot and dunk...

#169 CoinFlip

CoinFlip

Rookie

• 47 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 10:17 AM

hey repole, sent a pm...

#170 serenityy

serenityy

Off The Bench

• 1,898 posts
  • Fan Since:1995
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 20, 2012 - 10:18 AM

As a man on TNT once said,

It's easy to look good on a bad team, your obligations aren't like the obligations of a champion.

See Al Jefferson as a perfect example.

#171 CoinFlip

CoinFlip

Rookie

• 47 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 10:22 AM

As a man on TNT once said,

It's easy to look good on a bad team, your obligations aren't like the obligations of a champion.

See Al Jefferson as a perfect example.

I agree. But some things I like to see are effort, a good attitude, and professionalism. See Gerald Green as a good example.

Edited by CoinFlip, March 20, 2012 - 10:24 AM.

#172 Renegade

Renegade

Rookie

• 549 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted March 31, 2012 - 02:49 AM

Why? Guy is averaging 12 pts 51% shooting from field and 38 from 3pt land. Why u dont want upgrade our wing offence?

#173 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,557 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted March 31, 2012 - 04:26 AM

because we have Christian Eyenga :D

#174 bobekryant

bobekryant

Rookie

• 469 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 05:36 AM

Ask Real Deal if you want to feel better about the Lakers not picking up Green.

Ask Coin Flip if you want to feel depressed about the Lakers not picking up Green.

Edited by bobekryant, March 31, 2012 - 05:37 AM.

#175 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,184 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted March 31, 2012 - 07:09 AM

Because FO doesnt care for athletes = they like injury prone guys & or over priced players that provide little to no production
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#176 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,542 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted March 31, 2012 - 07:42 AM

Because FO doesnt care for athletes = they like injury prone guys & or over priced players that provide little to no production

Can you name any other FO that brought their team back to back titles in the past 5 years. No...... I didn't think so. Stop :cry:

#177 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted March 31, 2012 - 07:46 AM

Its not like he would make us more of a contender than we are now. Plus Brown would not even play him.

Edited by Hollywood, March 31, 2012 - 07:46 AM.

Posted Image

#178 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,116 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted March 31, 2012 - 07:47 AM

Already have a thread for this

#179 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man