#1 K-Kris

K-Kris

Laker Fan

• 672 posts
  • Name:Kris
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe / Randle

Posted March 09, 2012 - 11:29 PM

Is it possible for Kobe and the Lakers to rework his contract? To give us more cap room to work with? Or would this just simply never happen?

#2 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 5,010 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 11, 2012 - 05:05 AM

Is it possible for Kobe and the Lakers to rework his contract? To give us more cap room to work with? Or would this just simply never happen?

I think the Lakers can renegotiate and extend Kobe's contract - which would be a really smart move.

So instead of paying him 28 and 30 (total of 58) the next two seasons they could extend his contract a year and then pay him like 23 per year for three years (total of 70) .
That would be a good deal for the Lakers who can save about 7 million each year.

The thing is, it all depends on the pieces that are available and what Jim Buss wants to do. If the Lakers want to keep Kobe, and let Bynum turn into the 1st option on scoring then that is the way to go. If they prefer to shed salary and start over, they might be better off trading Kobe or using the Amnesty on him.

#3 K-Kris

K-Kris

Laker Fan

• 672 posts
  • Name:Kris
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe / Randle

Posted March 11, 2012 - 10:40 AM

I think the Lakers can renegotiate and extend Kobe's contract - which would be a really smart move.

So instead of paying him 28 and 30 (total of 58) the next two seasons they could extend his contract a year and then pay him like 23 per year for three years (total of 70) .
That would be a good deal for the Lakers who can save about 7 million each year.

The thing is, it all depends on the pieces that are available and what Jim Buss wants to do. If the Lakers want to keep Kobe, and let Bynum turn into the 1st option on scoring then that is the way to go. If they prefer to shed salary and start over, they might be better off trading Kobe or using the Amnesty on him.

I honestly want this to happen. We just have to see what happens I guess. Kobe does want to be a Laker for the rest of his career, so hopefully the Lakers FO will grant his wish.

#4 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 5,010 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 10:24 PM

They're not going to trade or amnesty Kobe, i think. The Lakers would lose half of their fans worldwide (l will always be a Laker-fan, but Kobe is the REASON i became a Laker fan).

I think they are better off renegotiating/extending his contract, or perhaps eat the insane luxury tax for one year and then pay him less the following years. The thing is, with the new CBA they may want to get under the tax-limit for just a year in order to save some money long term.

#5 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,913 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted March 12, 2012 - 11:37 AM

I doubt Kobe,who brought 5 titles to LA, will rework his contract for less money

"No Justice. No Peace. Jail the Racist Police!"

#6 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 5,010 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 09:59 PM

I doubt Kobe,who brought 5 titles to LA, will rework his contract for less money

Good point.

He is getting paid 30 million in his final year, the year where the new CBA kicks in (2013/14).

What is a realistic salary for Kobe following that? Surely not 30 million. If we look at other perennial all-stars in the mid-thirties they're being paid in the area of 10 to 15 million.

If Kobe would agree to a 15 million salary, then they could work out his contract so that instead of getting 30 million in 2013/14 and 15 million in 2014/15 he could instead get 22,5 million each year. It wouldnt matter for Kobe - he would still get his 45 million - but it would save the Lakers A LOT, especially when they're over the salary cap.

But would he? I think the question is whether he has a choice? If Jim Buss tells Kobe: Either you agree to an negotiate-and-extend OR we use the amnesty.

#7 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,913 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted March 13, 2012 - 11:26 AM

Good point.

He is getting paid 30 million in his final year, the year where the new CBA kicks in (2013/14).

What is a realistic salary for Kobe following that? Surely not 30 million. If we look at other perennial all-stars in the mid-thirties they're being paid in the area of 10 to 15 million.

If Kobe would agree to a 15 million salary, then they could work out his contract so that instead of getting 30 million in 2013/14 and 15 million in 2014/15 he could instead get 22,5 million each year. It wouldnt matter for Kobe - he would still get his 45 million - but it would save the Lakers A LOT, especially when they're over the salary cap.

But would he? I think the question is whether he has a choice? If Jim Buss tells Kobe: Either you agree to an negotiate-and-extend OR we use the amnesty.

Kobe is arguably in the top 5 of all time....so don't compare him to the others

"No Justice. No Peace. Jail the Racist Police!"

#8 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 5,010 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 09:28 PM

Kobe is arguably in the top 5 of all time....so don't compare him to the others

Then 20 million per year for a couple of years, it doesnt matter. What matters is that Kobes 30 million in the final year of his contract is too much, because even the Lakers cant afford it, so unless Kobe is willing to tage significantly less on his next contract (which could save the Lakers some $$$$), something needs to get done.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users