Posted March 10, 2012 - 09:13 AM

So ready for this game

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#22 Azazello

Azazello

Sixth Man

• 3,439 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 09:28 AM

I enjoy speaking to fans who lived through the 80's rivalry with Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. How special it must be to have lived through two generations of the greatest rivalry in sports.

This generation's rivalry offered four hall of famers. The 2008 Celtics were the definition of a true team. Three players sacrificed individual statistics for a chance to win a championship. All of the bench pieces fit. Every player on their roster made key contributions during their title run, and the defense was stellar. Dwyane Wade admitted it was the toughest defense he's ever played. No surprise that Bryant struggled so hard against Boston's defense. His only remarkable shooting game was in game 3.

I was very nervous in game 7. Had the Lakers lost to Boston at Staples Center, Kobe would be crucified today. He would still be hanging from a building because of his 6-24 shooting performance in the biggest game of his life. Magic, Kareem, West, Chamberlain all defeated Boston. I'm glad Kobe got his Finals win against Boston to be in that company. It wouldn't feel right if Kobe lost to Boston twice.

#23 serenityy

serenityy

Off The Bench

• 1,898 posts
  • Fan Since:1995
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 10, 2012 - 09:45 AM

I enjoy speaking to fans who lived through the 80's rivalry with Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. How special it must be to have lived through two generations of the greatest rivalry in sports.

This generation's rivalry offered four hall of famers. The 2008 Celtics were the definition of a true team. Three players sacrificed individual statistics for a chance to win a championship. All of the bench pieces fit. Every player on their roster made key contributions during their title run, and the defense was stellar. Dwyane Wade admitted it was the toughest defense he's ever played. No surprise that Bryant struggled so hard against Boston's defense. His only remarkable shooting game was in game 3.

I was very nervous in game 7. Had the Lakers lost to Boston at Staples Center, Kobe would be crucified today. He would still be hanging from a building because of his 6-24 shooting performance in the biggest game of his life. Magic, Kareem, West, Chamberlain all defeated Boston. I'm glad Kobe got his Finals win against Boston to be in that company. It wouldn't feel right if Kobe lost to Boston twice.

West and Wilt didn't beat Boston.

During their time Boston had it's monopoly going.

#24 kfreud

kfreud

Rookie

• 537 posts
  • Name:Kyle
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe, Cap, Wilt

Posted March 10, 2012 - 10:10 AM

Don't think we'll be involved in any rivalries for at least a couple years. If we don't make a trade to make us contenders in the short run, I think we'll bow out of being in the ring chase for at least 4 or 5 seasons. I think either of these two are gonna define the NBA for the coming seasons:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
This game's in the refrigerator, the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jello's jigglin'!"

#25 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Rookie

• 1,006 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Robert Horry

Posted March 10, 2012 - 10:16 AM

Don't think we'll be involved in any rivalries for at least a couple years. If we don't make a trade to make us contenders in the short run, I think we'll bow out of being in the ring chase for at least 4 or 5 seasons. I think either of these two are gonna define the NBA for the coming seasons:
Posted Image
Posted Image

I hate to admit it but you are absolutely right. If we dont make a move OKC and Miami will have the new rivalry.

#26 Azazello

Azazello

Sixth Man

• 3,439 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 01:07 PM

Dammit you are right. I forgot West won his first championship in 72 . Wish he could have broken through and beat the Leprechauns.

#27 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted March 10, 2012 - 01:09 PM

Lol. U guys are kitty kats. Thunder are slipping. If they do nothing this year, they will not be favorites next year.
Miami has about a three year run before Wade starts breaking down and the chemistry starts to change.
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#28 serenityy

serenityy

Off The Bench

• 1,898 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 04:04 PM

Dammit you are right. I forgot West won his first championship in 72 . Wish he could have broken through and beat the Leprechauns.

Actually I'm wrong about one thing. Wilt did beat the Celtics one year, just not in P&G.

#29 Lakers_55

Lakers_55

Lakers franchise > Celtics franchise

• 1,402 posts
  • Fan Since:1967
  • Fav. Laker:Wilt Chamberlain

Posted March 10, 2012 - 04:25 PM

Not true. they didn't beat Boston as Laker players, but...

Wilt beat Boston as a 76r in 1967.
West beat Boston as a GM for the Lakers. He simply stacked our team better than Auerbach did.

Seasons the Celtics lost ECF when Lakers won the championship (7): 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1988, 2002
In NBA history, the Lakers have finished better than the Celtics by a margin of 41-25!

Click for Video proof Lakers are the greatest NBA franchise
FaceBook: http://www.facebook....nCelticsBusters

#30 serenityy

serenityy

Off The Bench

• 1,898 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 04:36 PM

Not true. they didn't beat Boston as Laker players, but...

Wilt beat Boston as a 76r in 1967.
West beat Boston as a GM for the Lakers. He simply stacked our team better than Auerbach did.

Mhm posted that right above ya :)

Edited by serenityy, March 10, 2012 - 04:36 PM.

#31 A-Train

A-Train

The Cat

• 68 posts
  • Fan Since:6 years old
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic,Shaq,Ramon Sessions

Posted March 10, 2012 - 05:08 PM

never thought i'd be sad about this.. i think whatever happens after the game, i will give the celtics(kg,pierce,allen,rondo) a one man standing ovation just because i love basketball that much

Edited by A-Train, March 10, 2012 - 05:08 PM.

SF Giants
SF 49ers
SJ Sharks
LA Lakers
100% Cali

#32 Lakers_55

Lakers_55

• 1,402 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 09:02 PM

Mhm posted that right above ya :)

Only half of it. West carried a grudge and did a number on Red Auerbach. Silly Boston and their black and white TV dynasty doomed themselves to being second to us as a franchise by beating West too many times.

Seasons the Celtics lost ECF when Lakers won the championship (7): 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1988, 2002
In NBA history, the Lakers have finished better than the Celtics by a margin of 41-25!

#33 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,797 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 10, 2012 - 10:00 PM

Lol. U guys are kitty kats. Thunder are slipping. If they do nothing this year, they will not be favorites next year.
Miami has about a three year run before Wade starts breaking down and the chemistry starts to change.

Yeah, really slipping. Can't believe they've gone 10-2 in their last twelve games. Terrible.

#34 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 10:20 PM

they've beaten us here the last couple of years, gotta get that W

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#35 serenityy

serenityy

Off The Bench

• 1,898 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 10:20 PM

Only half of it. West carried a grudge and did a number on Red Auerbach. Silly Boston and their black and white TV dynasty doomed themselves to being second to us as a franchise by beating West too many times.

Mm I wouldn't really know about that so I can't say.

But the Lakers only beat the Celtics one more time than they beat the Lakers in the 80's.

How are you defining "did a number on Red?"

#36 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 10:21 PM

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#37 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 10:29 PM

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#38 Lakers_55

Lakers_55

• 1,402 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 02:03 AM

Mm I wouldn't really know about that so I can't say.

But the Lakers only beat the Celtics one more time than they beat the Lakers in the 80's.

How are you defining "did a number on Red?"

Lakers had 5 titles that decade, and West got 5 more rings. (He got more with Shaq and Kobe). They give rings to just about everyone, even Chick Hearn was getting them. so, during the last time Auerbach made the Celtics relevant, they were second fiddle to the Lakers. Boston was never the better team than the Lakers that decade, I've argued about this before in the sticky in Lakers history. But if the Lakers weren't relevant themselves, and this is largely due to Jerry West, Boston would have had 5 titles that decade, winning in 1985 over Denver, and 1987 vs. Seattle. Give Jerry 1-3 titles in the 60's against Boston, he retires and never returns to basketball. All 5 rings that we got in Showtime are in jeopardy, and who would have worked like a dog to get Kobe here? If you're talking about the greatest Laker ever, in all facets of the organization, it's probably between Jerry West, and Chick Hearn. Both are ahead of Jerry Buss because of longevity. Boston fans know their old dynasty doesn't hold up anymore to keep them above the Lakers. I've asked plenty of them if they would trade those old Russell titles in to lead us 10-4 in the modern era, and still be ahead 17-16 in NBA ttiles, and they simply won't answer. It's too painful for them.

#39 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 02:16 PM

This chapter ends with a Lakers W.

Great game, expected nothing less.

#40 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,685 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 11, 2012 - 02:20 PM

Yes, this was the perfect end to this rivalry...

I must admit im very emotional right now, I been so into this rivalry for the last 5 years when it was finally back, and it's just tearing me up that today was the last day we'll see a game like that between these two core lineups. It was beautiful. Should be on ESPN Classic!!

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users